Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:05:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Unbelieveably tight at the top  (Read 4951 times)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
Unbelieveably tight at the top
« on February 23, 2013, 08:34:06 pm by Viking Don »
Four of the top six have been top of the league in the last couple of weeks (or so), only us and our bogey team yet to surface, and only two points between first and sixth. Got to be the most exciting league to be in at the moment.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Unbelieveably tight at the top
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2013, 08:37:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
It is. I don't think I've ever seen a division so wide open. Time for balls of steel. Hopefully our 'blip' is over... Sounded like a very good performance today. Great that Hume is back.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2013, 08:42:23 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Who get's the best loan signings,could be the deciding factor, in who wins the title this season,i'll still stick with either us or Bournemouth to win it.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2013, 08:45:09 pm by MachoMadness »
As long as we're on top come the end of it all, I don't mind if we never have a turn on top til the last weekend! Do agree it's the most exciting and unpredictable league in the country though. You'd be mad to put money on anyone at the moment.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2013, 08:54:51 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We've got massive experience running through the side,if we can get to the point of a tight finish to win it,i wouldn't see us bottling it,at the moment Sheff utd and Bournemouth have better strikers than us,if we can't get a loan striker in,we've got to get plenty of clean sheets with odd goal wins,very little in it,interesting till the end of the season.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2013, 09:03:20 pm by Viking Don »
TBH I already consider this season to be a massive success regardless of where we finish. To be going into March with a chance of winning the league is just fantastic.

Ideal ending for me would be to beat our old friends Yeovil at Wembley.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:06:47 pm by Viking Don »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 23, 2013, 09:26:34 pm by GazLaz »
Higginbotham and Robson will win the league for the Blades. Two class players in this league.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 23, 2013, 09:40:41 pm by Donnyrovers »
Fancy bournemouth to win the title even though they lost today but all up for grabs hopefully we get in top 2 but think we must beat Shrewsbury and Hartlepool to get some winning momentum back.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 23, 2013, 10:05:44 pm by hoolahoop »
On the evidence of what I heard on the radio today .........I think one of those top spots will be ours.
We just need to concentrate, maintain the cohesion and spirit we found today and those elusive points will start to be chalked up. I'm not worried about the Blades one bit, they will collapse soon enough they always do.  ;)

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 23, 2013, 10:11:47 pm by andysly »
A side with aspirations of winning the league "should" be capable of beating Shrewsbury & Hartlepool despite them both picking up a few points and a bit of form recently.
This week will tell us a lot about where we will end up come the 27th April.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2013, 04:09:08 pm by grayx »
I think its a reflection of the standard of this league to be honest. Whoever goes up, of which I still fancy Bournemouth, are going to find it a lot tougher in the Championship.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2013, 04:20:42 pm by dickos1 »
Teams find the championship a lot tougher every year because its a lot better league

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2013, 09:06:33 am by drfcsteve »
Yes but I think the point was teams like Leeds Forest Southampton Norwich etc are a lot more capable of dealing with the Championship financially when they go up, or teams like Swansea and us the last time can cope by playing a certain style. Any team that goes up from League One this year is gonna need a serious rebuild unless they want to come straight back down because the standard in League One is so poor this year.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 25, 2013, 09:38:38 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Higginbotham and Robson will win the league for the Blades. Two class players in this league.

I agree with this

Robson is proving the difference at the moment for the Blades.  What a signing he is.  Dont know why hes dropped to this level to be honest

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2013, 02:06:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »

I agree with this

Robson is proving the difference at the moment for the Blades.  What a signing he is.  Dont know why hes dropped to this level to be honest

He's only dropped to this level because of the size of the club and probably pay packet,two very experienced signings,let's not forget though,they've lost a major player in Nick Blackman,so it kind of even's it out.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2013, 11:55:57 am by mrfrostsdad »
Viking, you are right, wherever we finish this season has been a bonus. I know plenty of people who expected us to go down again. We've done well with a small squad.
Whatever happens, we need to re-build in the summer. If we get promoted we need a new team cos The Championship is light years better than League 1. If we don't get promoted we still need plenty of new faces - midfield and strikers especially.
And a new manager???? Yes. In my opinion obviously

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2013, 12:30:10 pm by Alickismyhero »
Old Frosty,
I go along with your comments to a point. The Championship is one hell of a difficult league. Personally I wouldn't write BF off if his two loan signings are anything to go by. I have only been able to watch one game this season at Stevenage and I was very satisfied with that performance. I think he has a period now to prove he is capable of doing the job and with a little luck he will keep it. Consistency in management is very important for me and I think BF has the ability to do it.

RJ,
On Monday Wolves have a televised game against Watford and I wouldn't like to be in Deano's shoes if it goes seriously wrong. Watford with their team of loan players are capable of ripping any team to pieces. He needs a lot of luck in this game to survive but if he gets the result he needs it could kick off his season.
Thats football!

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2013, 12:34:44 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I feel as though we HAVE to win tonight to keep up.  I can see Sheff U, Swindon, Tranmere and Bournemouth all winning.

Equally though I can see them all struggling on Saturday being away from home.

So for me, if we win tonight AND at home to Hartlepool Saturday, we'll be top of the table Saturday night  :woohoo: :scarf:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 26, 2013, 01:35:58 pm by hoolahoop »
I feel as though we HAVE to win tonight to keep up.  I can see Sheff U, Swindon, Tranmere and Bournemouth all winning.

Equally though I can see them all struggling on Saturday being away from home.

So for me, if we win tonight AND at home to Hartlepool Saturday, we'll be top of the table Saturday night  :woohoo: :scarf:

Satisfyingly all those teams and their supporters will be saying the same thing BVG. A slip-up or two now could cost any team dearly, we need to pick up our pioints: game ratio pronto .......draws are now simply not good enough to stay in the frame.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2013, 01:36:24 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Big ifs BVG

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 26, 2013, 01:47:31 pm by Donnyrovers »
I think if we are to be in with a shout we have to win these next 2 games, these 3 draws aren't good enough at this stage of the season when we are battling for promotion and with two away games at MK Dons and Bournemouth coming up we need to get some wins behind us or else there is big pressure on us when we play them.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 26, 2013, 02:17:02 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I think if we are to be in with a shout we have to win these next 2 games, these 3 draws aren't good enough at this stage of the season when we are battling for promotion and with two away games at MK Dons and Bournemouth coming up we need to get some wins behind us or else there is big pressure on us when we play them.

Exactly this.

Knowing DRFC though we'll get not a lot from the next 2 and then go and beat Bournemouth and MK Dons

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 26, 2013, 02:25:46 pm by hoolahoop »

Exactly this.

Knowing DRFC though we'll get not a lot from the next 2 and then go and beat Bournemouth and MK Dons

True that's usually the way we do it :)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 26, 2013, 06:50:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Knowing DRFC though we'll get not a lot from the next 2

As Paul Daniels would say.

Course we will, we'll thrash the lot of them. Strap yourselves in lads and lasses, the run-ins about to start.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 27, 2013, 12:07:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Knowing DRFC though we'll get not a lot from the next 2

As Paul Daniels would say.

Course we will, we'll thrash the lot of them. Strap yourselves in lads and lasses, the run-ins about to start.

''That's Magic'' :laugh:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 27, 2013, 12:16:54 am by BobG »
I just seen that Hartlepool are third in the home form table (last 5 matches measured), top of the away form table and third in the overall form table too.  They've lost 1 in the last 10. Bugger.

BobG

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 27, 2013, 12:19:32 am by RedJ »
I just seen that Hartlepool are third in the home form table (last 5 matches measured), top of the away form table and third in the overall form table too.  They've lost 1 in the last 10. Bugger.

BobG

Yeovil had won 8 in 8 I think when they turned up last weekend. We'd been unbeaten in 12 on the road until Bury. Anyone can beat anyone.

Not that I don't share your alarm - no easy points.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 27, 2013, 08:36:46 am by RobTheRover »
Exactly. Turn up,  start on the W of whistle,  and be professional. That's all we need to do.

Take last night for example,  fancying about with it on the edge of our own box with a minute to go. Stick to passing it and moving upfield. We don't have to go chasing 2nd goals when we are winning with scant time remaining,  but equally we shouldn't be so negative that it invites pressure on.

The win should boost the lads' confidence,  so maybe that will be the last we see of that panicking.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 27, 2013, 08:55:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Funny old game int it?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 27, 2013, 10:31:29 am by DonnyNoel »

Funny old game int it?

I'm going to have to admit to headscratching myself last night as I genuinely thought we had one of the harder games of those mentioned above.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012