Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:40:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Woods  (Read 15122 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Woods
« Reply #60 on February 27, 2013, 01:17:16 am by MachoMadness »
For f**ks sake Woodsy. If I was a defender tonight, or anyone in the team for that matter, I would've nailed him to the f**king wall in the dressing room and left him there. That's twice he's undone 90 minutes of graft, hard work, and dare I say, good football from the rest of the team through sheer incompetence in successive games, no less. This time we got away with it but it's papering over some Grand Canyon-sized cracks, cracks which will appear again before the end of the season. This is what, his 5th or 6th absolute howler this season? 7th? How many other keepers can you name who make that many in 3 seasons, let alone 1?

A goalies' job is harder than anyone else's, but that doesn't mean he deserves to get let off when he's shit at it. And this isn't me jumping on a bandwagon after the last two games, nor is anyone else. It's not a matter of dropping him after two mistakes, because it's not just two mistakes, is it? He's been a duffer all season. He is a total liability, for vast parts of the season he's had f**k all to do and what he has had to do he's invariably f**ked up. If people consider him not LOBBING THE BALL INTO HIS OWN NET for 5-6 games to be an improvement, then how good is he really? Fact is, he's been the luckiest keeper in the league this season with that defence in front of him, and he still contrives to let in the softest goals. He hasn't had much else to do but routine saves all season, along with the usual ROUTINE things like collecting crosses, smothering the ball etc, and he can't even do that right. He is a blessed keeper, and if you can't even be trusted with absolute, basic, day-1-at-keeper-training-school stuff then even the best defence in the world won't help you. Everyone makes mistakes, yes. But when you can't even do basic things, absolutely basic things like catch a ball or position yourself in the goal right, then questions need to be asked.

Some of the responses on here make me laugh. The relentless happy-clapping is becoming annoying, tbh. There's being a supporter and getting behind the team, and then there's reaching for an irrational defence of a grown man who isn't doing his job properly. "B-but the defence shouldn't have let the shot in!". Come on. Look at what you're typing. The defence can never let anyone get a shot in because they might score a goal! Oh no! If only there were someone there who could be relied upon to keep our goal intact! Jesus wept. The fact is he did have to make a save, a simple one at that, and he couldn't do it. I don't boo or jeer players in the ground but there comes a point when you have to draw a line and say; is he just having a few mistakes or is he just a bad goalie at this stage? We are way past that line with Woods I'm afraid. I know people will come back and say the usual "he's won us more points than he's cost us" dribble, so in anticipation of that: he hasn't. That's about 7 posts worth of grief rolled up into one, so I'll not dwell on this and focus on the many positives from tonight from now on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on February 27, 2013, 02:23:08 am by Akinfenwa »
I do not rate and have never rated Woods at all and do not believe that he possesses any qualities that would suggest he's worthy of a starting place for a team at the top of the third tier. I really don't think that any team in this league would swap their first choice goalkeeper for Woods and I think it is a testament to our defence this season that we've managed to get by for so long playing in front of an unreliable goalkeeper.

Don't get me wrong, I can forgive the odd gaffe from a keeper so long as they are an asset to the team otherwise, and I don't think Woods is much of one. People will say he's had a good season and has improved a lot. I don't see it really, he's just been called upon less often which probably reduces the chance of a potential mistake. The big mistakes he has made this season have not proven to be too costly either due to the quality of our team, tonight being an example.

And when he has been called upon and not made a mistake or conceded a soft goal, has he done anything more than you would expect even the most average of L1 goalkeepers to do? Not particularly, after all goalkeepers are expected to make some good saves and catches every so often, that is their basic duty and does not constitute a 'good season' in my view.

A good goalkeeper (as with any position really) who is focused and doesn't buckle under pressure could really prove to be the difference between staying down or going up, perhaps even directly, for example would anyone really fancy Woods to make the difference for us at Wembley in a playoff final penalty shootout? Even though we could probably get by with Woods in goal it isn't a position that should be overlooked when it comes to identifying ways to improve the team. If we are looking for a striker to plug a gap then I would prefer to instead be looking for a competent goalkeeper who can handle the high pressures of an end of season fight for promotion and potentially earn us (or not lose us) some valuable points.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 27, 2013, 05:55:32 am by Arsenal Of The North »
Yeah he is making mistakes, but look at the kind of mistakes they are... For me there just mental mistakes, I've seen him produce great one on one saves this season, notably bury away recently. But dropping the ball from the cross at the weekend and letting it through his hands last night, these are from him not staying focused, we fix that about him and this kid for me is ready to go and do wonders in the next league up! Just my thoughts and no doubt wrong to some of you but hey that's what this forum is for!

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on February 27, 2013, 06:41:27 am by southwestexile »
This is league one football and players are here partly because they do make mistakes, especially the goalkeepers. Woods has made two howlers in the last 2 games ( dodgy pitch at fault on Saturday?) but is a regular face in a team who are top of the league. He's pulled out some top drawer saves along the way too.

Shame on you all for coming on here and slagging off one of our young players, get behind the team! Or next game if your expertise deems Woods' performance to be ok you can have another go at Bennett or Husband?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on February 27, 2013, 06:43:46 am by Filo »

would anyone really fancy Woods to make the difference for us at Wembley in a playoff final penalty shootout?

In answer to that, NO!

I can`t recall him getting any where near any penalty he`s had to face

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 27, 2013, 06:45:26 am by Filo »
This is league one football and players are here partly because they do make mistakes, especially the goalkeepers. Woods has made two howlers in the last 2 games ( dodgy pitch at fault on Saturday?) but is a regular face in a team who are top of the league. He's pulled out some top drawer saves along the way too.

Shame on you all for coming on here and slagging off one of our young players, get behind the team! Or next game if your expertise deems Woods' performance to be ok you can have another go at Bennett or Husband?

Yeah, shame on us for having an opinion!

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on February 27, 2013, 07:20:44 am by NathanDRFC »
Basic mistake by Woods no doubting that. Then again, Coppinger totally missed the ball when he went to kick it on one occasion last night, so should we replace him as well.

Also I think Woods deserves a lot of praise for how he conducted himself after the game. Could have easily clapped the traveling support from the halfway line and gone in, but he came over (and throw his gloves in) and shock a few fans hands. He looked totally gutted.

foreverArover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 27, 2013, 07:23:56 am by foreverArover »

No, shame on you for not getting behind the lad. Its the same as Bennett, some of the stick he got at Bury away was a f*cking joke. Meant to be one of our young promising players.

Will Woods get the same treatment just because some of you dont think he's good enough? What experience of you got as a keeper? or a goalkeeping coach? Or a manager? (Let me guess Filo, youve got your coaching badges...) Thought not.

The lad has made some mistakes, which as a keeper, are shown up straight away, as opposed to mistakes from outfield players.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on February 27, 2013, 07:36:40 am by Filo »

No, shame on you for not getting behind the lad. Its the same as Bennett, some of the stick he got at Bury away was a f*cking joke. Meant to be one of our young promising players.

Will Woods get the same treatment just because some of you dont think he's good enough? What experience of you got as a keeper? or a goalkeeping coach? Or a manager? (Let me guess Filo, youve got your coaching badges...) Thought not.

The lad has made some mistakes, which as a keeper, are shown up straight away, as opposed to mistakes from outfield players.

Believe me I do get behind the lad, but if you read my posts from last season you`ll see I`m consistent in my opinion of him as a keeper, I don`t think he`s good enough, I`ll not blindly go on about getting behind him when he continues to make mistakes. If you read my post from Saturday you`ll see that I did n`t have a go for that schoolboy error, I even stated that everyone makes mistakes! my point is that he`s an obvious weakness in our team, can we afford to carry him in the run in? or do we try and get a better keeper on loan while the window is open?

in answer to your other question, no I have n`t got coaching badges, do you really need them to have the knowledge to make a reasoned assessment?

foreverArover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 27, 2013, 07:40:36 am by foreverArover »
I think you need a basic knowledge of football. And from some of your posts i'd suggest thats something you havent got.

My opinion dont  :crying: and ban me!

For you to say he is an obvious weakness i think is ridiculous. Hes made some cracking saves this year and kept us in games in others.

For a team top of the league people on this forum are so so negative. We arent 'carrying' him. As this debate hasnt come up early in the season. Only when he makes mistakes. Which keepers are punished for unfortunately.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on February 27, 2013, 07:49:07 am by Dagenham Rover »
Attack make a mistake the midfield pick it up, the midfield make a mistake the defence pick it up, the defence make a mistake the goalkeeper picks it up,  the goalkeeper makes a mistake.............................GOAL

and that is why the goalie is more in the firing line from the fans

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 27, 2013, 08:08:07 am by GazLaz »
I've just seen their goal. You can't have a keeper making mistakes like that at any level and expect to win the league.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on February 27, 2013, 08:10:39 am by Arsenal Of The North »
I've just seen their goal. You can't have a keeper making mistakes like that at any level and expect to win the league.
Joe hart?? Last time I checked he did that against Southampton and there still going for the league and also won it last year... So your comment is kind of invalided there!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 27, 2013, 08:12:47 am by RedJ »
Joe hart?? Last time I checked he did that against Southampton and there still going for the league and also won it last year... So your comment is kind of invalided there!

No way will City win the league this year, partly down to Hart's mistakes.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on February 27, 2013, 08:24:49 am by mrfrostsdad »
Forever,
Why are people clowns if they think Bennet is not good enough or if we need a new goalkeeper is Woods is playing crap?(personally, I think Woods has been one of our most improved players this season) That is MY opinion. It is no more important than yours or anyone else's.

That is the whole point of the forum, for fans to put THEIR opinion on here. And their opinion does not make them clowns or mean they should get a grip. It makes them individuals

foreverArover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on February 27, 2013, 09:07:12 am by foreverArover »

No way will City win the league this year, partly down to Hart's mistakes.

and that is why i call people clowns. that is outrageous

MartinB

« Reply #76 on February 27, 2013, 09:56:03 am by MartinB »
For what it's worth my opinion of Woods is either let him go in the summer or tie him down with a very long contract. I as a supporter will support either decision...he makes some great stops, but makes many mistakes, he is great with his feet but doesn't collect crosses well. BUT if he is continually improving and is Lewis Guy (great in training) then surely we have one of the best young keepers in the country? Right now we've gotta back him 100% at this critical time, SOD & Deano both put him as there #1 despite both managers being chalk and cheese....so there must be something there?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on February 27, 2013, 10:08:03 am by GazLaz »
Hart was rock solid last year and they won the league. He's been w**k this season and they are a million points behind.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on February 27, 2013, 10:39:34 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
For what its worth, heres my two-penneth.

I'm a little concerned about him.  Just recently he's cost us a goal at;

Bury
Yeovil
Shrewsbury

Thats 3 times in the last 5 games.  Although its concearning, we cant drop him now.  Hes played in EVERY game this season and has played his part in our success that we've had just as much as the rest of the squad have. 

He will be a bit low on confidence at the moment, but taking him completley out of the team will destroy his confidence completley.

I think he needs a bit of extra training and an arm round the shoulder.  We know where the problem is (crosses into the box).  Have an extra half hour per day with the whole squad this week and launch balls into the box for him to claim whilst under pressure.  Practice makes perfect.  Its a team game.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on February 27, 2013, 10:52:48 am by wilts rover »
Hart was rock solid last year and they won the league. He's been w**k this season and they are a million points behind.

David de Gea was rubbish last year and he is rubbish this - but they are a million points infront. Whats your point?

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on February 27, 2013, 10:58:24 am by roversam »
I just wonder how many Gary Woods fans would have come on here if Bennetts goal hadn't got him out of jail

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on February 27, 2013, 11:09:12 am by Dutch Uncle »
What I would do as manager (funds permitting):

1: Go to Gary Woods, offer him a new 2 year contract, say he is our future, but.......

2: Short term with a dogfight ahead, and with it being a big ask of youth teamer Jonathan Maxted to cover, take an experienced keeper on loan for the rest of the season and let him and Gary compete for the jersey

But then I am just a supporter who is not investing significant funds into the club

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on February 27, 2013, 11:20:17 am by GazLaz »

David de Gea was rubbish last year and he is rubbish this - but they are a million points infront. Whats your point?

How many times have you seen De Gea live this season?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on February 27, 2013, 11:33:46 am by hoolahoop »
I just wonder how many Gary Woods fans would have come on here if Bennetts goal hadn't got him out of jail

Very few if any sam, however I still see some promise in him and an improvement . Having said that the improvement in his all round performances have been marred for these irrational lapses of concentration which need to be sorted out pronto. I believe it is a 'concentration and confidence' problem with the lad and it does need sorting out sooner rather than later. There must be an ex seasoned pro that we can bring in to rescue him out there.
He must have the ability because he would never have been kept on at Man U before we got him here. When I first saw the lad play at Armie Welfare , he seemed to command his box and his defenders really well and revelled in it. Perhaps that feeling of being in charge has escaped him with the towering presence of Jones being in the defense and he has become over-reliant on those in front of him. Give him the full responsibility for marshalling his defenders and you may see an improvement.
All is not lost here , perhaps some sort of outside professional help to work on his concentration and confidence levels wouldn't go amiss here. Perhaps a hypnotherapist./psychotherapist might be able to help him ?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on February 27, 2013, 11:36:13 am by drfc1951 »
How can he get any confidence when people slate him all the time.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on February 27, 2013, 11:45:05 am by hoolahoop »
How can he get any confidence when people slate him all the time.

1951 this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion........Woods is not obliged to read any of these posts. However I agree that these collective groans, sighing and remarks made before, during and at the end of games are not useful to ANY of our players.......most have suffered from it from time to time too.
That is NOT support and it won't help the cause of the team and the dyamics within it if some of our 'so called' supporters persist in doing it.
If you are one one of these mouthy gets (I don't mean you btw) then feck off and do it somewhere else, we support a team not watching bear baiting or cock fighting. Some of our supporters both young and old need to grow up .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on February 27, 2013, 11:49:17 am by GazLaz »
To be fair to him he has looked more confident this season than last but still doesn't look like he completely believes in himself to me. I think a lot of the best keepers strut around and portray even more calmness, assurance and confidence than they actually have. You need to be a big strong character to be a keeper, the mental side is more important than the technical side in my opinion.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on February 27, 2013, 11:51:24 am by steve@dcfd »
Quote:
I'm a little concerned about him.  Just recently he's cost us a goal at;

Bury
Yeovil
Shrewsbury

I have to agree but his confidence and concentration need boosting.
Have i said before, In all three games strikers, midfield and defenders have missed chances to have won game easily and put us further infront, they did not.  This is not an excuse and he should not be making mistakes but its a team game so every one of them must take responsibility for lack of goals.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on February 27, 2013, 11:54:54 am by hoolahoop »
To be fair to him he has looked more confident this season than last but still doesn't look like he completely believes in himself to me. I think a lot of the best keepers strut around and portray even more calmness, assurance and confidence than they actually have. You need to be a big strong character to be a keeper, the mental side is more important than the technical side in my opinion.

Exactly perhaps it's somewhat harder to strut around when you have the towering influence of Jones in front of you. Perhaps he (Jones) is taking too much responsibility at 'set pieces' etc. when normally the keeper would be organising most if not all of it. That area has been our achilles heel all season and should rarely be bearing in mind the defense we have currently.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on February 27, 2013, 12:01:19 pm by Donnyrovers »
What I would do as manager (funds permitting):

1: Go to Gary Woods, offer him a new 2 year contract, say he is our future, but.......

2: Short term with a dogfight ahead, and with it being a big ask of youth teamer Jonathan Maxted to cover, take an experienced keeper on loan for the rest of the season and let him and Gary compete for the jersey

But then I am just a supporter who is not investing significant funds into the club

Completely agree, he does need some competition for the jersey but he is also only 22 years old. That is no age for a goal keeper so I would tie him down with another 2 year contract to see how he does develop because at 22 years old and a relegation and a potential promotion behind him he's going to learn a lot.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012