Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:14:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Woods  (Read 15124 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Woods
« Reply #90 on February 27, 2013, 12:06:37 pm by Filo »
I think you need a basic knowledge of football. And from some of your posts i'd suggest thats something you havent got.

My opinion dont  :crying: and ban me!

For you to say he is an obvious weakness i think is ridiculous. Hes made some cracking saves this year and kept us in games in others.

For a team top of the league people on this forum are so so negative. We arent 'carrying' him. As this debate hasnt come up early in the season. Only when he makes mistakes. Which keepers are punished for unfortunately.

I beg to differ young man, my knowledge on football and tactics are top drawer ;)

You however can`t see the Woods for the tree`s, blind to what`s in front of your eyes!

You`re not a goalkeeper are you? ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on February 27, 2013, 12:17:48 pm by nice one rovers »
I couldn't disagree more with all this 'Get rid of Woods' shite. What people forget is usually if a keeper makes a mistake it usually costs a goal. Thats the harshness of it. Yeah he's made a couple of mistakes in the last couple games. But he's had a very good first half of the season.

Jones missed a free header 6 yards out against Yeovil. Anyone calling for him to go?

If a player missed a last minute player should he go aswell? Half of you need to ge a grip and start supporting the lad. He's a very good young keeper, who will obviously make mistakes, like the worlds best keepers do. Joe Hart? Should city of sold him after the Southampton game? No! Fickle fickle rovers fans as per!

Also nice to see Kyle Bennett hopefully shut a few of the clowns up with that goal aswell

Good post, everything I would have liked to say.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on February 27, 2013, 01:01:54 pm by nortikorner »
how many goals has he saved us  a  lot more  than he as cost us

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on February 27, 2013, 01:24:34 pm by Northants Nomad »
People need to remember that when a goalie makes a mistake, it's usually a goal and one that is fully blamed on them and undeniable. When an outfield player makes a mistake, that is seldom the case. All players make mistakes. I am far from a Woods enthusiast, but I think the run in the team this year has seen him grow into a real goalkeeping prospect. To be this sound at 22 suggests he will be some keeper as he reaches his prime - for goalies this could be 30+

Yes, he's made two howlers recently, but we don't have to go back many games to see him being man of the match after a string of fine saves. Bringing someone new in doesn't mean we will get Mr Perfect between the sticks. Any goalie we bring in will need to learn to work with his back 4. Equally, chances are they will be 3rd or 4th choice at whichever club they come from (if it's a big club) - usually this is because they have made howlers or are young and learning...sound familiar?

So, back off, see the bigger picture and accept that one (or even two) Woodsy mistakes don't mean we're all gonna die in a pit of fire.

I wonder what odds I could have got on Kyle being the one to save Woodsy's blushes?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on February 27, 2013, 01:31:28 pm by grayx »
What I would do as manager (funds permitting):

1: Go to Gary Woods, offer him a new 2 year contract, say he is our future, but.......

2: Short term with a dogfight ahead, and with it being a big ask of youth teamer Jonathan Maxted to cover, take an experienced keeper on loan for the rest of the season and let him and Gary compete for the jersey

But then I am just a supporter who is not investing significant funds into the club

Sounds like the perfect solution to me.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on February 27, 2013, 01:46:14 pm by MachoMadness »
I'm not meaning to keep going on about him, but this is more of a point about some of the posters on this forum than Woods himself anyway.

What annoys me is people are giving Woods credit for things he's supposed to be doing. I wouldn't waltz into work and say "I'm never late, I always answer the phone when it rings, and I haven't told a single client to f**k off all day! Can I have a promotion?" All those things are expected of me when I walk in the door! It's a given! "Oh, Woods hasn't shit into his hand and thrown it at the fans today. What a great keeper!" Just because he doesn't let in every shot on his goal doesn't make him a good keeper that "earns us points". Nobody's asking for perfection. Everyone makes mistakes. Yes, when goalkeepers make them they usually get punished. That's not the issue, and never has been. He has been shaky all season and has cost us far more than he's gained us, which is a problem and it's not right that someone gets a free pass for letting the side down repeatedly. I do support the team and get behind the lads on the field, and I don't boo anyone, but it's a two-way street. We should expect some standards as a response to our support and not just mindlessly happy-clap everyone like a sheep because that's all real supporters do apparently.

It reminds me of that Chris Rock routine. Replace "black people" with "goalkeepers" and the n-word with "Gary Woods" and that's basically this forum. NSFW, in case you didn't already know. The bit at 2 minutes, I tried to make it so it would skip to that automatically but it's not behaving for some reason. I'm sure Gary is a nice lad and doesn't shoot at cinema screens so that part's not really applicable..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CK7Q7S6iU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CK7Q7S6iU</a>
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:55:41 pm by MachoMadness »

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on February 27, 2013, 01:51:57 pm by goalkick »
Just seen goal on NBC tv local.error worse than last sat.having problem two games on trot can't give him much confidence.pity we have no other suitable keeper just to give the guy a break.must be problem to him with all the adverse comments. :thumbsup:would not like to see a young players career ruined.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on February 27, 2013, 02:09:02 pm by IDM »
I haven't read all this thread but here is my opinion.

Against Yeovil, Woods' mistake cost a goal, but did it cost us 2 points?  No, because there was plenty of time left for us to go on and win the game.  I won't argue that giving a goal away wasn't a contributory factor - it clearly was - however you could say the non-penalty decision had a greater effect on the potential result.

Last night however, to concede a sloppy goal so late could, and almost did, cost us the win.

Still, I say get behind Woods, mistakes and all.  It's a team game folks.....

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on February 27, 2013, 03:03:57 pm by roversam »
I haven't read all this thread but here is my opinion.

Against Yeovil, Woods' mistake cost a goal, but did it cost us 2 points?  No, because there was plenty of time left for us to go on and win the game.  I won't argue that giving a goal away wasn't a contributory factor - it clearly was - however you could say the non-penalty decision had a greater effect on the potential result.

Last night however, to concede a sloppy goal so late could, and almost did, cost us the win.

Still, I say get behind Woods, mistakes and all.  It's a team game folks.....
Agree with getting behind Woods, to save the howlers that he lets go past him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on February 27, 2013, 06:40:34 pm by RedJ »
I've just seen their goal. You can't have a keeper making mistakes like that at any level and expect to win the league.
Joe hart?? Last time I checked he did that against Southampton and there still going for the league and also won it last year... So your comment is kind of invalided there!

No way will City win the league this year, partly down to Hart's mistakes.

and that is why i call people clowns. that is outrageous

I did say 'partly'. How you can say him letting in shots he should be getting to - which leads to them dropping points - won't cost them the title is beyond me.

Who's the clown now then?

mina75

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on February 27, 2013, 09:05:53 pm by mina75 »
Personally i think Woods has improved tenfold since last season. But people seem to just keep going back to mistakes made then, he has made few mistakes this year behind a usually solid defence. Yes he has made 2 mistakes in the last 2 games which have cost goals and in the Yeovil game points as well.

Time to cut this guy a bit of slack guys.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on February 27, 2013, 09:23:12 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Think what you like about what his mistakes may or may not cost us this season.  If we're in the Championship next season, we're simply not going to be able to afford to give anybody freebies.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on February 27, 2013, 11:58:53 pm by RoversAlias »
Personally i think Woods has improved tenfold since last season. But people seem to just keep going back to mistakes made then, he has made few mistakes this year behind a usually solid defence. Yes he has made 2 mistakes in the last 2 games which have cost goals and in the Yeovil game points as well.

Time to cut this guy a bit of slack guys.

In all fairness everyone has acknowledged how he has improved until the last 4 days when he's dropped clangers for two goals. Which I think is fair enough. If he makes a mistake it is fair to point that out and if he does it again soon after people are obviously going to take note of it. As they should. But I saw plenty of positive comments for Woods in the last few months when he has been largely very solid.

foreverArover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on February 28, 2013, 11:26:09 am by foreverArover »
I've just seen their goal. You can't have a keeper making mistakes like that at any level and expect to win the league.
Joe hart?? Last time I checked he did that against Southampton and there still going for the league and also won it last year... So your comment is kind of invalided there!

I did say 'partly'. How you can say him letting in shots he should be getting to - which leads to them dropping points - won't cost them the title is beyond me.

Still you mate.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on February 28, 2013, 11:58:53 am by benaldo »
 So.....Paynter (for a random example, off the top of my head) misses 7 absolute sitters in a season. He's not demonised because missing doing something good isn't viewed as poorly as completing doing something bad (ie Woods letting in soft goals). Psychological reason for this, but I can't remember what you call it - schadenfreude I think is the best approximation I can think of.

Anyhow, apart from him being crap at kicking, going for corners/crosses, saving penalties, rolling out the ball, and general goalkeepingness - what have the romans ever done for us?

Nathan - VSC Director Nathan, that is (ps....are there any vsc members who AREN'T directors??  :welcome: ) makes a point that I think is valid. After one particularly horrendous display Gary actually walked across a flat grass field (probably a good 70ft) and, without any thought for his safety, threw two loaded goalkeeping gloves into the Rovers end. I guess this shows you that Gary is a footballer who realises some supporters think the players should go out for a beer with them etc after each game and then give them a lift home to have a nightcap with their missus', but for me it's kind of a "nothing" statement.

"I'm crap at goalkeeping, but give me the chance to throw my stinking £20 gloves at you while I do the time honoured - Clap my hands over my head - and you'll forgive everything won't you....."

Nope.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on February 28, 2013, 01:46:09 pm by bobjimwilly »
I'd like to say I've missed benaldos failed attempts at humour and his utter drivel, but unfortunately I haven't one bit...

Anyhoo... I can see the majority seem to be taking sides here; those who think Woods is rubbish, and those who think he isn't.

My take on it would be his lack of consistency. some games this season he hans't put a foot wrong, has owned his whole area and has inspired confidence in his defence, other games he's made terrible keeping errors in key areas and hasn't stepped a foot outside his 6 yard box. If he can try and be a bit more consistent, I think he would be a very good keeper. Does this come with age and experience? Maybe, but if we get promoted we won't be able to wait until he gains that experience, so it may be an idea to loan him out.
(If we don't get promoted, I think he would still be able to able to do a job in League 1, and personally would prefer to see any money available spend in other positions)

He certainly doesn't need booing at games though - he will be able to hear the moans and sighs as it is, without people shouting his name and calling him crap during the game.  :thumbdown:

:scarf:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on February 28, 2013, 04:42:51 pm by RedJ »

Still you mate.

I'm sorry but there's no way on this earth you're telling me Hart's cockups haven't cost City the title.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on March 01, 2013, 07:23:35 am by Al4475 »
Said this before:
For every one mistake a keeper makes (and yes I admit they do generally cost us goals), a defender will mis-time/miss many more tackles or blocks, a midfielder will make lots of misplaced passes and a striker will miss far more gilt-edged chances in front of goal!

Why a Keeper comes in for so much berating when the outfield players (apart from your designated scapegoat!) don't is beyond me - our hero RJ was pulled all over the place by Madden against Yeovil - and has been quite a few times so far since Christmas - yet we're not hearing (and correctly so without a shadow of a doubt) 'Jones ain't good enough - get rid!,' Cotts is not dictating play as much as he was earlier in teh season - and we're not hearing, 'Rubbish Cotts - piss off!' (again obiously rightly so) etc etc - Why is it always so different for the keepers - makes me laugh!

A one-on one missed in the last seconds or a stupid foul in the penalty area are just as as costly as a keeper error!

Mind you the same applies with the prices they cost now too - 35 million pound strikers and above and yet the Goalkeeper costs half that and less! Crazy - a keeper is just as important to the whole picture as any defender, midfielder or striker - and everyone (generally more so outfield) is capable of making errors!

Woods is doing just fine this season - as part of a defensive unit that's also doing just fine!

Any mistakes he makes will cost probably cost us - but so does every missed opportunity from 6 yards too, and every lack of track-back, poorly timed tackle!

I'm firmly in the Pro-Woods camp!

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on March 01, 2013, 07:53:45 am by PaulRover08 »
Said this before:
For every one mistake a keeper makes (and yes I admit they do generally cost us goals), a defender will mis-time/miss many more tackles or blocks, a midfielder will make lots of misplaced passes and a striker will miss far more gilt-edged chances in front of goal!

Why a Keeper comes in for so much berating when the outfield players (apart from your designated scapegoat!) don't is beyond me - our hero RJ was pulled all over the place by Madden against Yeovil - and has been quite a few times so far since Christmas - yet we're not hearing (and correctly so without a shadow of a doubt) 'Jones ain't good enough - get rid!,' Cotts is not dictating play as much as he was earlier in teh season - and we're not hearing, 'Rubbish Cotts - piss off!' (again obiously rightly so) etc etc - Why is it always so different for the keepers - makes me laugh!

A one-on one missed in the last seconds or a stupid foul in the penalty area are just as as costly as a keeper error!

Mind you the same applies with the prices they cost now too - 35 million pound strikers and above and yet the Goalkeeper costs half that and less! Crazy - a keeper is just as important to the whole picture as any defender, midfielder or striker - and everyone (generally more so outfield) is capable of making errors!

Woods is doing just fine this season - as part of a defensive unit that's also doing just fine!

Any mistakes he makes will cost probably cost us - but so does every missed opportunity from 6 yards too, and every lack of track-back, poorly timed tackle!

I'm firmly in the Pro-Woods camp!

Excellent post. Woods has improved a lot this season but will still make mistakes. What makes me laugh is that had we lost 2-1 against Yeovil thanks to golden boy Jones' shocking back pass then nobody would have mentioned that. It would still have been Woods fault for dropping a cross that yes, he shouldn't have.

There's a reason Everton and WBA wanted him and we have seen a lot more of that reason this year overall.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on March 01, 2013, 08:48:07 am by not on facebook »
Anyone ever Watched that film THE WANDERS

Well Here is my take on the woods situation

...leave the  kid alone...

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on March 01, 2013, 09:23:26 am by Sod This For a Laugh »
The Positives
I agree with the keepers as a rule develop later and I am also in the we should keep Gary Woods corner. He could become a real gem. Over the years he has shown he can make great saves,catch,punch and is decent with is feet.
The negatives
Could is improvement be down to how much he has to do in a match. At this level he as on average 5-6 things to do a game. At the level above he had 15-20 things a game to do. If so meaning the actual improvement isn't actually there.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on March 02, 2013, 07:44:23 am by Al4475 »
A very valid point here Sod This For A Laugh...

"Could is improvement be down to how much he has to do in a match. At this level he as on average 5-6 things to do a game. At the level above he had 15-20 things a game to do. If so meaning the actual improvement isn't actually there."

Or...he was fine too last season - but because he had 15-20 things to do a game he looked like he was shocking!

When I was younger, I played in goal myself and have got back into it by playing the six-a-side leagues at Balby Carr School on a Sunday evening. Initially the lads who wanted to play and asked me to organise if for em were shocking, clueless - and I could make many good saves and be on the end of a 6 or 7 (even more on a couple of occasions) to 0 drubbing!

Now however, I have much much better players in front of me who know how to play, and all of a sudden 3 or 4 good saves by me allied to a goal or two from my outfield players win us games - they didn't before, any errors or saves I made before didn't really matter because once I'd conceded one goal, we got beaten simple - as we were incapable of scoring! (honestly - for the first three 'seasons' we played - we scored 5 goals altogether!) If I make an error now it can be the difference between the result.

The players from the other teams didn't realise when we were getting trounced how 'well' I could play in goal (at not far away from 40 years old) - now the majority of the lads from the other teams would have me in their goals ahead of their own regular goalies and the others in the league!

Woodsy has the same (obviously on a different level) issues.

Last season was a write-off, and he was our goalie, young and struggling behind a relatively poor/out of form defence so Kirkland, Ikeme and Button all came in! Understandably! In Kirkland and Ikeme we had 'better quality and far more experience' and in Button (if I'm honest) a keeper very much like woods - but in better form when we had him - Barnsley didn't rate him later in the season in the same division. However our results weren't markedly better with any of the rest of em either!

Hard to tell what impact Kirkland had because he was in goal on the end of a three-nil drubbing and injured himself to boot!

Ikeme, looked more assured than woods - as you'd expect from someone older with more experience - but he too made various errors (whether they cost us games as we were so poor anyhow is open for debate.) I was expecting Ikeme to look like a fabulous keeper - but he only out performed Woods in my mind by having a better presence among his defence and confidence to come and collect balls into the box - which are again the attributes of a keeper that you'd expect to be better from the player with greater experience - unless the much younger player is an outstanding prospect - which Woods isn't, he's a good prospect!

It's an awful position to play, Goalkeeper, as you can look like the world's best one second and a complete clown the next - it's not quite the same anywhere else on the pitch (apart from maybe ref or lino) and is probably the reason why keepers create so much debate!

Woods is pretty good in my mind - let's not forget that we have been spoiled by having the ever-dependable Sulli and Warrington (at his level) as the last two serious incumbents of that number one jersey! I don't think Woods is as good as Sulli was for us...yet...but could be one day - but in my opinion he's a better option than Warrington was - and Warrington was pretty good on his day - but could be pretty awful too!

I think our back-line is in decent shape for this league - but should we go up will need tweaking - although I would imagine a new number 1 is not high on the priority list - maybe a new backup/competition as Maxted probably needs a bit more time out on loan - If I'm wrong and we go up, get better quality outfield players to build the team and Woods looks out of his depth - use him as cover and then get a 'better' number 1 in!

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on March 02, 2013, 08:31:20 am by Capmeister »
Feeding frenzy on this thread or what? I hope the lad has blinder today and makes the critics eat their words. We sometimes ask players for loyalty and they don't give it. No wonder given some of the above. I hope Woods reads this and thinks f**k em, I'll make eat their words. Anyone who's played footy at any level knows you help each other out. This team have come this far together are top of the league and will stick together come what may, however the season turns out. Chin up Woodsy son. Dig deep and come out fighting. As my Dad says Don't let the bas**rds grind you down. It's easy to be a critic. Critics generally can't do the job. ;o) :welcome:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012