Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:52:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Parachute payments  (Read 4231 times)

albie

• Forum Member
Parachute payments
« on March 20, 2013, 02:09:45 pm by albie »
Looks like the big boys inthe Prem are getting ready to make sure than any of their brothers relegated bounce back without too much trouble;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/19/premier-league-championship-tv-deal#

This will make a nonsense of the Championship as a competition, with the difference between the haves and have nots massive.

What happened to the old level playing field idea. The Championship will be even more a league within a league. Enough to put you off football in the top tiers tbh.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DaveOfDonny

• VSC Member
Re: Parachute payments
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2013, 02:19:50 pm by DaveOfDonny »
English football is pathetic.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2013, 02:47:43 pm by graingrover »
I find myself slowly but surely turning my back on Premiership football . I have seen few  Premiership matches LIVE  compared to the Conference and Football League but as an armchair fan I am losing interest . I don't think I am the only one as there is a growing disillusion with the way the Premiership circus is run , the overhype , the primadonna stars, the unsprting behaviour. The parachute payment strategy of protectionism is not only widening the divide between clubs but is also dividing the game from it's roots . The bloom is sure to wither in time.   
     The only way I find some of the remaining values of the game I used to love is by following my hometown club .
      If there were  a campaign 'Turn your back on the Prima Donnas ' I would wear the T shirt. 

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2013, 02:49:25 pm by LincsRover »
I find myself slowly but surely turning my back on Premiership football . I have seen few  Premiership matches LIVE  compared to the Conference and Football League but as an armchair fan I am losing interest . I don't think I am the only one as there is a growing disillusion with the way the Premiership circus is run , the overhype , the primadonna stars, the unsprting behaviour. The parachute payment strategy of protectionism is not only widening the divide between clubs but is also dividing the game from it's roots . The bloom is sure to wither in time.   
     The only way I find some of the remaining values of the game I used to love is by following my hometown club .
      If there were  a campaign 'Turn your back on the Prima Donnas ' I would wear the T shirt.

Agreed! Disgusting!!  :boxing:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 20, 2013, 03:09:55 pm by hoolahoop »
Bloody outrageous that 3 failed demoted club can be subsidised by the Premier League at a level 10X higher than the existing clubs get in the Championship . What makes it worse is there could be 5-8 heavily subsidised clubs at any one time for all the others to compete with.......it's a bloody mockery of the Fair Play policy that all have to adopt outside of the Premier League.  :mad:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2013, 03:13:52 pm by PDX_Rover »
The sooner the so-called 'elite' bugger off into their mondo-super-Champions(+the next 3 runners-up)-world-namby-pamby-league, the better.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2013, 04:01:38 pm by Mr1Croft »
Well then lets make a stance. We have a game coming up in just over a week that will be on Sky. They have done this to our game, nobody else. That's the day to make your voices heard.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2013, 04:19:31 pm by bedale rover »
Well then lets make a stance. We have a game coming up in just over a week that will be on Sky. They have done this to our game, nobody else. That's the day to make your voices heard.

a few judicious banners mocking the premier league and the dead hand of sky  as well as the greedy guts players wouldnt harm would they?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2013, 04:27:25 pm by RedJ »

a few judicious banners mocking the premier league and the dead hand of sky  as well as the greedy guts players wouldnt harm would they?

Can you see them actually turning the cameras to them though, if anyone could be arsed/had the abilities etc to be making them?

And can you see enough people joining in with a song against them when they can barely be arsed to get their vocal support behind their own team (not that I'm saying if you don't you're a worse fan, let's not go there)?

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2013, 04:45:39 pm by gillinghamrover »
If said banners were on the opposite side to the cameras at pitch( ish) level they could not fail to get on tele, unless of course the ball spends 90 mins up in the air!

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2013, 05:22:07 pm by deebee »
By doing this you will put Sky coming here again. That will do our club out of £40,000 per match, I don't think it would any good either as they are to big to care about the likes on little Donny Rovers. The world wide appeal of the prem is where their money comes from.

DaveOfDonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 20, 2013, 05:55:41 pm by DaveOfDonny »
If said banners were on the opposite side to the cameras at pitch( ish) level they could not fail to get on tele, unless of course the ball spends 90 mins up in the air!

Quite likley in League 1...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 20, 2013, 07:19:55 pm by RoversAlias »
By doing this you will put Sky coming here again. That will do our club out of £40,000 per match, I don't think it would any good either as they are to big to care about the likes on little Donny Rovers. The world wide appeal of the prem is where their money comes from.

Totally agreed. Daft idea that is overambitious.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 20, 2013, 08:01:21 pm by Mr1Croft »
For the record my post was not a rallying call for a protest against Sky or anything, but merely saying we know the game isnt fair, but while we all watch Sky Sports and pay subscriptions then this is how it will continue...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 20, 2013, 08:50:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Bloody outrageous that 3 failed demoted club can be subsidised by the Premier League at a level 10X higher than the existing clubs get in the Championship . What makes it worse is there could be 5-8 heavily subsidised clubs at any one time for all the others to compete with.......it's a bloody mockery of the Fair Play policy that all have to adopt outside of the Premier League.

Their counter argument about only 1 club in top 5 of Championship is currently in receipt of parachute payments? Just demonstrates how wise your ex-premiership members have been with their spending then doesn't it !?   

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 20, 2013, 11:56:39 pm by albie »
There has been a meeting about what to do next this afternoon;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/20/football-league-parachute-payments

Truth is, if they want to give the money to their mates they will.
Compensation for the indignity of overpaid underachievers having to risk embarrasment playing the "likes of Doncaster" (or Barnsley, or Peterborough etc).

Turning the Championship into a yo-yo league for the chronically mismanaged is not the way forward. No wonder Blackburn can pay off a manager every month.

It would be good if there were a national debate of the whole football community on this, with the choice of how to allocate this cash not ruled by vested interests.

Some chance!

viking87

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 21, 2013, 01:07:11 am by viking87 »
Its bollucks how all these clubs that get relagated from the PL get so much.. The 3 leagues below should just say 'right were off, can't do this anymore.. Its gone to far, let's make our own leagues in which we start with the TOP league. Yes The TOP not the bottom 2-3 leagues apply to fairplay first'.
No wonder are country is f*#ked with all these tycoons and fat cats laughing at the little men and women of proper football clubs. The value of money is beyond stupidity. 'In the news today, the grandson of ronaldo has become the first billion pound player' where does it end?... Actually ronaldo is a bad example.

He has no testicles.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 21, 2013, 01:27:09 pm by dijit8 »
Its not just the Premier League, the Champions league is as bad, the media goes crazy on who finishes 4th in Premier League nowadays as they get Champions League football, then if they fail in that competition like Chelsea this year they go into the Europa league.

If i didn't support Rovers i could easily not care about football anymore

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 21, 2013, 04:54:35 pm by bedale rover »
i may be naive (and i am) but shouldnt the football association who run the game in the this country step in and ensure something approaching a level playing field  :headbang:

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 21, 2013, 04:57:28 pm by LincsRover »
i may be naive (and i am) but shouldnt the football association who run the game in the this country step in and ensure something approaching a level playing field  :headbang:

Like the previous quote on Ronaldo......

The FA have no testicles, none, not a set between them, to stand up to the schoolground bullies of the premiership!!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 21, 2013, 10:47:51 pm by BobG »
It's too late now isn't it? The mistake was made back in the early 80's when that git from Amstrad - can't even think of his name now - no. Alan Sugar, engineered a totally corrupt deal to ensure Sky won the bid for footy. Sugar wanted to sell more dishes.  Sky wanted world domination. They're too entrenched now to be removed without changes of seismic proportions. I pin my hopes on all the best players sodding off to the FAr east in a few years - leaving us a s a relative backwater. PL appeal will then decline. Sky will broadcast more from the East and maybe, over time, the power balance might shift. But, of course, even that would require men of probity, education, balls and experience in the effing FA. So, no chance really is there?

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 21, 2013, 11:17:36 pm by RobTheRover »
Apart from Greg Dyke is set to succeed Bernstein and become the FA Chairman in the summer,  Bob. He likes to kick over hornets nests. Could be a great appointment. Hopefully he won't just focus on England and will look at more fundamental matters,  like revising the fit and proper person test, community/trust ownership of clubs,  etc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:09:07 am by RobTheRover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 21, 2013, 11:56:27 pm by BobG »
Oh Greg Dyke is ok. But he can do sod all with that bloody useless FA Council sitting there blocking everything except the status quo. If he can build a consensus that can vote through meaningful change, then I think footy supporters everywhere should insist he's made Lord Dyke pdq.

BobG

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 22, 2013, 05:19:41 pm by albie »
Well, here is the reason the money will go to the financially incontinent;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/07/qpr-finances-tony-fernandes

Clubs like QPR will be free to spend money they havent earned, to stay in a place they can't afford to be, while well run smaller clubs will just have to get by on a pittance and their wits.

I bet the blazered buffoons at the FA live up to their reputation and do F all about it. Just a sick joke now.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 22, 2013, 06:05:10 pm by wilts rover »
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and mythology as to what the FA and the PL are - and the relationship between them. They are the same thing. The FA run the Premier League, the clubs belong to the FA, its their league and they get a cut from the money it generates. Why would they want to give money away to the football league - from their tv deal?

It is all to do with why the PL was set up in the first place. Several clubs wanted to break away from the FL and set up their own league (with some of the major European clubs - a forerunner of the CL in the days it was a cup competition) to get more tv money. They then realised that they would be outside of the UEFA/FIFA structure - and their players could not play for international teams. So they had to come back into their national structure - and linked up with the FA to do this. The original intention was to have it with no relegation or promotion - but of course there was no way that this would be passed by the FL clubs who had to vote on the proposal - hence them bringing in parachute payments as a 'sweetener' and incentive for the turkeys to vote for christmas.

It is not fair, it was never intended to be fair, and I am amazed that so many posters seem to think it was ever intended to be so.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 22, 2013, 06:31:32 pm by albie »
Yes, Wilts, but they DO give money from the TV deal to other causes, the question is surely how they cut the pie.

JR is in the Yorkhire Post today on this. His take is here;
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster/ryan-would-be-happy-for-rovers-to-receive-less-if-they-go-back-up-1-5521198

I thought that the FA had a remit to look after the whole of football in the country, from grassroots up to the Prem.

Obviously the Prem is the cash cow, but is it in the interests of the competition, or football generally, to stack the cards so that club status and development is limited to the benefit of the chosen few?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 22, 2013, 07:16:08 pm by Mr1Croft »
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and mythology as to what the FA and the PL are - and the relationship between them. They are the same thing. The FA run the Premier League, the clubs belong to the FA, its their league and they get a cut from the money it generates. Why would they want to give money away to the football league - from their tv deal?

It is all to do with why the PL was set up in the first place. Several clubs wanted to break away from the FL and set up their own league (with some of the major European clubs - a forerunner of the CL in the days it was a cup competition) to get more tv money. They then realised that they would be outside of the UEFA/FIFA structure - and their players could not play for international teams. So they had to come back into their national structure - and linked up with the FA to do this. The original intention was to have it with no relegation or promotion - but of course there was no way that this would be passed by the FL clubs who had to vote on the proposal - hence them bringing in parachute payments as a 'sweetener' and incentive for the turkeys to vote for christmas.

It is not fair, it was never intended to be fair, and I am amazed that so many posters seem to think it was ever intended to be so.

That's not strictly true Wilts, the Premier League is owned by its members, which is the 20 football clubs, so basically Malcolm Glazer, Abromavich, Delia Smith, Shiek Mansour, Mike Ashley etc. Apart from playing under the FA's rules of the game they aren't 'run' by the FA, which is ran as a separate entity. The FA only provides the rules and the referees, everything else is left up to the clubs. They adopted the Financial Fair Play rules and not the FA. The formation of the Premier League was in effect 22 clubs of the First Division resigning en masse from the Football League. The FA only has a veto as a special 'shareholder' when the league adopts new rules or changes personal such as the CEO of the Chairman.

The reasoning behind the parachute payment was simple (not as a sweetener) but to prevent clubs who get relegated suffering financial problems because they couldn't offload the players that were on Premiership wages. The initial idea behind the Parachute Payments was a precautionary measure to allow clubs to settle into the Championship without being under heavy pressure to make cuts over one summer, but rather the 3/4 years.

But what has happened in effect is that smaller clubs who could never master enough funds to seriously challenge for a spot in the Premier League saw the parachute payments (and the guaranteed £39 Million you get for finishing in 20th spot) as a way to make quick money for the club. This has lead to a serious gulf in the Championship where of the top 10 the majority are either in receipt of parachute payments or the club's wage bill far exceeds the income. Only Norwich in the last 10 years managed promotion to the Premiership and didn't fall into either of these categories. Portsmouth on the other hand are one of the few clubs to be relegated and suffer massive financial difficulty while still receiving the parachute payments...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 22, 2013, 07:27:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
At the end of the day, we've just got to make sure that our club is run on sound principles, we aspire to do the best we can with the resources available, we produce as good a product on the pitch and off the pitch as we can to attract as many folk as possible to share a bit of civic pride in doing things the right way.

Through the vast majority of JR's reign we can say we've achieved so much by doing things the right way. We may have lost our way a little, but we have got to make sure we get back on that path and measure our success on our ability to punch bigger fish where it hurts.

Thanks to JR we carved out an identity. An identity that we are all rightly proud (no matter what division we play in) so we must believe that we all want the same by singing from the same hymn sheet. With all the doom and gloom around at the moment DRFC and the Keepmoat is in a prime position to provide the escapism we all need.

F**ck the Premiership and the Championship wannabes, let's get there and show them how it should be done once again !   

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 22, 2013, 08:16:30 pm by wilts rover »
Mr Croft

Yes, legally correct as in the formal structire of the PL as recorded at companies house, but look into it a bit closer and you will see that the FA is a 'special' share holder with rights of veto on the PL board - the only one to do so. In return the PL has 3 seats on the FA Board - as opposed to only two from the whole of the FL. Keep incest in the family.

http://www.allpartyfootball.com/ADD_EV_FAPL_APFG%20Inquiry%20Response.pdf

Go and search out the newspaper stories around the time of the formation of the PL, you will find it interesting on the sub-plots and story behind the story.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 23, 2013, 11:57:00 am by silent majority »
Mr Croft

Yes, legally correct as in the formal structire of the PL as recorded at companies house, but look into it a bit closer and you will see that the FA is a 'special' share holder with rights of veto on the PL board - the only one to do so. In return the PL has 3 seats on the FA Board - as opposed to only two from the whole of the FL. Keep incest in the family.

http://www.allpartyfootball.com/ADD_EV_FAPL_APFG%20Inquiry%20Response.pdf

Go and search out the newspaper stories around the time of the formation of the PL, you will find it interesting on the sub-plots and story behind the story.

To be honest Wilts you are wrong and Mr Croft is a lot closer to the mark.

The paper you have posted is the PL's response to the all party select committee which has since been rejected by them. The FA have no teeth whatsoever when it comes to the PL, or FL for that matter. If you want to know who's running football its definitely the PL.

There are also several boards at the FA and the one you chose is called the professional board and as you rightly state the PL have 3 seats. So that's the PL controlling things from the inside right?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012