Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:44:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Home end  (Read 6016 times)

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
Home end
« on March 22, 2013, 06:42:11 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Where we all meeting then?

4 of us stuck with no other option.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Home end
« Reply #1 on March 22, 2013, 06:51:19 pm by Mr1Croft »
The two sides stand are apparently only available to those on the SUFC database. With the terracing pay on the gate with random 'checks' to ensure they are home fans...

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 22, 2013, 06:54:33 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
'Apparently'

Where have you heard this?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 22, 2013, 07:03:51 pm by donnievic »
Just give them post code dn16 2sh in ashby easy

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2013, 07:21:02 pm by Mr1Croft »
'Apparently'

Where have you heard this?

Yes. "Apparently", the Scunthorpe official account on footymad has no reason to lie:

As Doncaster have sold all their tickets for the match checks will be made at the turnstiles to try and prevent away fans gaining access to the home sections.

Where supporters are purchasing from the ticket office a check will be made to see if that supporter has purchased tickets from us previously. We have records of tickets sales for all home and away matches for the last eight years including the two Wembley visits. The vast majority of Scunthorpe fans are on the data base but if someone isn't on then a decision will be made as to whether or not to sell that person a ticket.

The Club aren't trying to make it difficult for supporters to come to the game, we're just trying to ensure segregation so that everyone one can watch the game in a safe environment.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2113026319

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2013, 09:09:42 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Epworth is DN9 ***. Good road to 'quote' is Fieldside or Station Road (not that I'm suggesting any of u flout the rules BTW  :ohmy:

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 22, 2013, 09:33:51 pm by andysly »
Gainsborough is Dn21 xxx.
Sup ale in Nodding Donkey, they'll think you're hard as fxxk.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 22, 2013, 09:41:34 pm by RobTheRover »
Although I would never advocate going in the home end at an away game (ahem, forgot about Blackpool away, 1991), maybe the purchase of a claret and blue scarf could be a prudent move.

And you can burn it after the game too!

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 22, 2013, 10:15:42 pm by Red wizard »
Just sit on the side down by the rovers fans. Should be ok.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 22, 2013, 10:31:51 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Although I would never advocate going in the home end at an away game (ahem, forgot about Blackpool away, 1991), maybe the purchase of a claret and blue scarf could be a prudent move.

And you can burn it after the game too!

or cut it into squares and hang it in the 'smallest room'

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 22, 2013, 10:36:43 pm by donnievic »
Only done it twice at bury early 90s as it was alot cheaper for kids and Stockport where we Ron 4-2 got 2 home tickets for a tenner and got kicked out when we equalised to make it 2-2 just knew I shouldn't of started jumping up and down

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 23, 2013, 12:05:15 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Called their ticket office this morning. Must be on the data-base to get a ticket in advance.

Pretty ridiculous in this day and age, looks like listening to it at home.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2013, 12:24:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Pay on the terrace they can't check the database there, worth a try.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 23, 2013, 12:26:59 pm by ditch_drfc »
Called their ticket office this morning. Must be on the data-base to get a ticket in advance.

Pretty ridiculous? I'd be more than pissed off if we had away fans in our home end because we didn't carry out sufficient checks. . .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 23, 2013, 12:28:45 pm by Filo »

Pretty ridiculous? I'd be more than pissed off if we had away fans in our home end because we didn't carry out sufficient checks. . .

Leeds have done it to us at the KM and Wembley

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 23, 2013, 12:32:23 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

That's because you have a typical football fan mentality which thinks people don't have the civility to sit down and watch a sports game without any trouble.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 23, 2013, 12:49:40 pm by IDM »
Well I live in a Leicestershire post code area so I wouldn't expect any difficulty getting a ticket as a "neutral".

I have no problem with anyone buying a ticket for a home end, as long as they behave sensibly.  It does not take too much effort not to wear your own colours, to clap politely at the correct times, especially if they score, and to keep schtumm when Rob Jones bags a 94th munute winner ;)

Donnylass

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 23, 2013, 01:13:01 pm by Donnylass »

That's because so many of them have DN postcodes  :headbang:

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 23, 2013, 01:17:29 pm by donnievic »

That's because so many of them have DN postcodes  :headbang:
and so is Scunthorpe

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 23, 2013, 01:23:41 pm by ditch_drfc »

That's because you have a typical football fan mentality which thinks people don't have the civility to sit down and watch a sports game without any trouble.

Look right, there's an away end for a reason... It's called an away end because away supporters have been designated a seating/standing area to watch their team play in someone elses ground. There's always trouble when rivals play each other and away supporters sit in the home end. If you can't go to the game, then just accept it. Don't try tearing apart the club because they want to make the match day experience as safe and as enjoyable as possible.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 23, 2013, 01:33:20 pm by IDM »
Ditch I doubt that anyone is arguing against segregation, but the odd occasion where rival fins end up in the wrong end can and does happen.  But as long as those involved act sensibly, then it isn't an issue.

In our first season back in div 2 I brought a friend who is a Blades fan who sat next to me in my daughter's unused seat.  My friend sat and behaved impeccably, even though we played them off the park yet lost 2-0.  If everyone was able to behave like that there would be no need for segregation, but I cannot see that changing. 

Where do you advocate a neutral fan would go, home or away end?  Another time a Stockport fan came with me to a home game vs Blackpool, should he have sat in the away end?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 23, 2013, 01:47:56 pm by hoolahoop »

Look right, there's an away end for a reason... It's called an away end because away supporters have been designated a seating/standing area to watch their team play in someone elses ground. There's always trouble when rivals play each other and away supporters sit in the home end. If you can't go to the game, then just accept it. Don't try tearing apart the club because they want to make the match day experience as safe and as enjoyable as possible.

I can see where you're coming from ditch but surely it would have made more sense to allocate a bigger away section deemed appropriate to needs rather than risking 'away' fans in the 'home' ends . If this game was a sell-out all ticket match then I could understand your argument.
Times have changed , these days it is highly unlikely that problems arise in stadia anywhere in the country whatever the rivalry between the supporters of each club. So if possible, minimise the risk, allow all parties to be safe and allow a club like Scunthorpe to receive much needed revenue.
Outside the ground is a different matter and it doesn't matter what ticket the individuals are carrying.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 23, 2013, 01:53:37 pm by IDM »
As Hoola says, there's little much anyone can do to provide segregation and avoid trouble outside the stadium.

If you ever go to Millwall, and get the train, there is a fenced off pathway all the way from the away end compound all the way to the station platform, but once at the station there is no further segregation.  I experienced this once, and there was no trouble whatsoever.  I think the home fans were all stunned by the game, which was extremely one sided - if you dig out the stats we had 29/30 efforts on goal and won 3-0 (Feb 2008).

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 23, 2013, 02:19:29 pm by ditch_drfc »
Im not completely against it but when local rivals meet i am. If you allowed it, you'd get 10 decent people and 20 idiots. You know some of our fans would love the chance to sit in Scunthorpes home end and cause trouble. Im fine with someone sitting in a home end if they aren't going to cheer if the opposite team scores.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 23, 2013, 02:31:24 pm by hoolahoop »
Im not completely against it but when local rivals meet i am. If you allowed it, you'd get 10 decent people and 20 idiots. You know some of our fans would love the chance to sit in Scunthorpes home end and cause trouble. Im fine with someone sitting in a home end if they aren't going to cheer if the opposite team scores.

Why not it happens in every other sport ? Many of those that go to football also regularly attend matches in RL, RU, Ice Hockey etc. and don't cause problems as far as I'm aware. They don't need to be segregated, can drink alcohol, can stand etc. and quite often it will be in the stadium that the week before they weren't allowed to do any of these things at a footy match.
High time everyone grew up and stopped making sweeping statements about football supporters. As an example many of the 'disappearing' supporters at Bellend Rd. now watch the Rhinos under far better conditions. Btw I don't hear about weekly riots either, treat folk properly and the vast majority will respect that and behave. We are NOT pariahs.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 23, 2013, 05:40:50 pm by 1879Rovers »
I bet there would have been a lot of fans who go round doing the 92 grounds that might have gone along today with no Prem, Championship and other games being called off.

Been in the home end twice with Rovers. I went in the home end when we drew with Boston when we won the Fourth Division.

In the early 80's I sat in the home end at Preston. Sat there with my Rovers rosette's on and had no trouble (I was only about ten).

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 23, 2013, 08:25:05 pm by IDM »
On a trip to Germany a couple of years ago I went to Hanover 96 vs Stuttgart.  There were several Stuttgart fans in the section I was sat (Hanover section, but not the most partisan section) wearing colours and supporting their team.  There was no trouble.

epworth red

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 23, 2013, 08:26:48 pm by epworth red »
Pal of mine went behind there goal today but left early as he had been rumbled .did any more make it in there today ?

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 23, 2013, 09:14:17 pm by andysly »
As long as you don't be a prat about it you should be able to go to any ground and watch a game.
If I were working in a different town and fancied watching a game why shouldn't I be able to go ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 24, 2013, 10:12:34 am by IDM »
As long as you don't be a prat about it you should be able to go to any ground and watch a game.
If I were working in a different town and fancied watching a game why shouldn't I be able to go ?

This...

I have been to more games I care to remember as a neutral, especially when I was a student in London.  It was always easier to get into the home end

TinyPortal © 2005-2012