Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 04:22:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SO'D  (Read 2824 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
SO'D
« on March 25, 2013, 08:28:32 pm by roverstillidie91 »
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/as-manager-you-get-ultimate-control-and-cant-blame-anyone-29150415.html

O'Driscoll takes a more philosophical approach. "That's football," is his response. "You can't do anything about it. I spent five years at Doncaster and got treated abysmally. I got them into the Championship, won their first trophy and kept them in the division for three years. They have a right to change the manager, but they should honour the contract. I did. I could have gone to a Premier club and other clubs. Then they decide to change the manager and I had to fight five months for them to honour my contract, which was a disgraceful way to treat me. At least Forest honoured my contract."

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: SO'D
« Reply #1 on March 25, 2013, 09:07:20 pm by RedJ »
Won our first trophy?...

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 25, 2013, 09:14:47 pm by donnyallday »
Well i miss the 50 passes in our own half.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 25, 2013, 09:48:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Brilliant manager, deserved better than he has had at a number of clubs now. However, EIGHTEEN GAMES without a win is piss poor. Time was up.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 25, 2013, 10:00:05 pm by donnyallday »
Hes been a journey man ever since.

SOD isnt the be all n end all.

We got promoted
We struggled most seasons
50 per cent of the footy was easy on the eye.
We were never effective enough.
We lost a lot and gained plaudits
He bored me silly.
far too stubborn
Tactics when losing were baffling.
etc etc etc.

He isnt coming back.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 25, 2013, 10:04:25 pm by RobTheRover »
SOD isnt the be all n end all.

I thought you called him a bell end there....

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 25, 2013, 10:09:25 pm by donnyallday »
LOL Rob

no, we had a ride, some good times , some bad.

Folk just seemed too blinkered on sean at times, im honestly sick of hearing about him.

1 promotion
1 jpt
At times nice footy.
 Thats it for me really, just opinions.

D. P enney for me, i think hes done more for DRFC.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 25, 2013, 10:22:24 pm by nice one rovers »
How many of the above posters are actually Brian the blade?
Sean was a great manager , and honourable. Who of us wasn't embarrassed at the way he was dismissed?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 25, 2013, 10:25:51 pm by StocktonRover »
Sean was a great manager , and honourable. Who of us wasn't embarrassed at the way he was dismissed?
I wasn't embarrassed by it - why on earth should we be embarrassed?
Its a standing joke in the football world that a vote of confidence is as good as getting your cards.

SODs dismissal wasnt that different from most.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 25, 2013, 10:28:40 pm by RedJ »
I wasn't embarrassed by it - why on earth should we be embarrassed?
Its a standing joke in the football world that a vote of confidence is as good as getting your cards.

SODs dismissal wasnt that different from most.

This.

I supported him during his time here, I supported Dean in his time here too. I was a fan of both for different reasons. They're both gone, it's time we let go.

We're on our second manager since and people are still harping on about him. He wasn't God. Why should we be embarrassed? we've hardly gone along the same road as Blackburn or Forest...

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 25, 2013, 10:29:40 pm by donnyallday »
Yep great manager

yep  he was honurable, apart from driving over to Burnley, then Sheffield.

Yep started his last campaign not addressing the injurys.

Yep lost 18, but we passed the ball well.

How great was Penney. ?

I could give you a list but i havent got all night.

Maybe save that for another week.  :rtid:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 25, 2013, 10:31:52 pm by RedJ »
I think some people forget the football was God-awful during the last 6 months of his reign. Yes it's been shite since until lately but at least it's been getting points.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 25, 2013, 10:40:24 pm by donnyallday »
Correct J.

Play pretty an get beat
play what dictates and win.

One trick ponies dont get far.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 26, 2013, 01:03:33 am by DMnumber4 »
Give me a lucky 1-0 win in a dire game having been played off the park over murdering teams to death and losing in the last minute time and time again.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 26, 2013, 01:22:18 am by mrfrostsdad »
Yes, we're winning a lot more games - because we're in League 1 and not the Championship. And a very poor League 1 at that as well.
When (and I believe it is 'when') we get promoted, we will need to bring in lots of new faces or face the very same issues we had last year.
It won't really make much difference who the manager is. In my opinion obviously

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 26, 2013, 05:15:30 am by Bald Rover »
sorry but my take on it is ...Doncaster Rovers is OUR club we are there week in week out, when we lose to Sheff Utd it stings....JR is a fan, it is also his money, and when a manager is losing 18 games on the bounce then the fans are ripping him, I dont care if JR publically strips tars and feathers a manager, its his perogative, and to be fair although the football isnt as pretty to watch..........has JR ever got it wrong? Penny replaced by Sod worked....Sod replaced by Saunders....we went down but look at where he took us....Flynn (cheap option? who knows) but fingers crossed he will take us up.....next season who knows???

SOD was never my favourite manager but he gave us good times....not at first crikey 99% of us wanted him out that first season, then we saw what he was building, then we watched it fall apart! we lost him after the Burnley/ Sheff Utd interviews and he should have gone then!!!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 26, 2013, 07:20:25 am by Al4475 »
You know what?

It ain't about Dave Penney, Sean O'Driscoll, Dean Saunders, Stock, Wellens, Mills, J'OC, JJ etc etc etc

It's about Brian Flynn and his current staff and players.

DRFC is a football club, an entity that evolves and changes on a daily basis - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

You can debate all day about players, managers, chairmen, staff, great days, shite days, great goals, lucky scrappy wins and losses when you've played teams off the park! They are all history, ingredients in where we are now, and if it was't for everything that's gone on in the past - we wouldn't be (and by WE I mean THE FANS, not players, staff and managers) DONCASTER ROVERS FC - all have played their part in making us what we are today!

You know what,
Thanks to the lot of 'em
Here's to the future!

ArmthorpeRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 26, 2013, 08:22:33 am by ArmthorpeRover »
You know what?

It ain't about Dave Penney, Sean O'Driscoll, Dean Saunders, Stock, Wellens, Mills, J'OC, JJ etc etc etc

It's about Brian Flynn and his current staff and players.

DRFC is a football club, an entity that evolves and changes on a daily basis - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

You can debate all day about players, managers, chairmen, staff, great days, shite days, great goals, lucky scrappy wins and losses when you've played teams off the park! They are all history, ingredients in where we are now, and if it was't for everything that's gone on in the past - we wouldn't be (and by WE I mean THE FANS, not players, staff and managers) DONCASTER ROVERS FC - all have played their part in making us what we are today!

You know what,
Thanks to the lot of 'em
Here's to the future!

Bingo.

It makes me cringe when ppl fawn over SO'D.....yeah we had good times in the middle of his tenure but they forget the god awful start and end. He's history, we all move on.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 26, 2013, 08:24:44 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Please, not this again! Delete the thread, he was a brilliant manager for us but we're looking too the future now, especially after last season!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 26, 2013, 05:07:22 pm by RedJ »
Yes, we're winning a lot more games - because we're in League 1 and not the Championship. And a very poor League 1 at that as well.
When (and I believe it is 'when') we get promoted, we will need to bring in lots of new faces or face the very same issues we had last year.
It won't really make much difference who the manager is. In my opinion obviously

Dean did say he'd build a side for the division we're in.

He built a side of grafters with one or two skilled lads - the main one being Cotterill - and we have what we've got now.

I fully believe we'd have had a squad capable of beating the drop next season, and in fact I still do, as Flynn was doing the scouting to build that squad.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 26, 2013, 06:12:38 pm by RedArmy »
Bored me to tears with some of the football, Derby away last year it honestly would not surprise me if gary woods made more passes than any other player that day and had more touches than anyone else.

Personal view, if we'd of got rid of him earlier the keepmoat would be closer to the 15,000 mark week in week out as to what it is now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012