Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What ever happened to YAURS?  (Read 8756 times)

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
What ever happened to YAURS?
« on March 26, 2013, 12:38:41 pm by bigbadjack »
Anyone know?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: What ever happened to YAURS?
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2013, 02:20:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Megalomania.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2013, 07:28:51 pm by The Red Baron »
Brilliant, Glyn. Sums it up in one word.

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2013, 08:09:47 pm by bigbadjack »
Shame

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2013, 09:24:29 pm by BobG »
Spot on.

Damn. That was two words.

BobG

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2013, 10:06:39 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I was on the receiving end of some of it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2013, 10:08:27 pm by Filo »

I was on the receiving end of some of it.

I can trump that! ;)

pubteam

« Reply #7 on March 26, 2013, 10:22:15 pm by pubteam »
Haha. Funny this should come up. I happened to go way back in my emails recently, and found one in my inbox from the guy who ran YAURS, who tracked me down and emailed me after I went on the (old) VSC forum simply to ask why YAURS charged people to sign up. (Not in a critical way, I just didn't know whether there was a way to get on to read YAURS without subscribing). This was the email...

Hey, Big Mouth,

Try reading the technical forum on YAURS! before slagging the site off. You are obviously a born again Rovers fan because you have been invisible over the 9 seasons that YAURS! has been running. If you were not so illiterate and read the technical forum about the subscription model, you would have learned that up to a third of the monies raised will go towards Rovers good causes.

As it is your opinions are worthless so don't try getting back on the YAURS! site. Well I guess when you have supported Rovers for more than just a few weeks you just might have something interesting to say, as it stands right now you have nothing worthwhile to say and nobody is interested, so just piss off!

Might give an insight into part of the reason why it closed down!  :ermm:

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2013, 10:33:31 pm by bigbadjack »
Brilliant

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 27, 2013, 10:22:24 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
 :lol:

Class

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 27, 2013, 10:38:02 am by MrFrost »
Didn't the guy take someone to court who posted on the forum?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 27, 2013, 10:39:38 pm by RobTheRover »
Not quite.

Dave Morris took Nigel to court, and Filo and Rigo were next in the firing line.  I'll let Filo fill the blanks (if he wants to).

Nigel decided to introduce a yellow/red card system, which didnt sit easily with paying members, and caused all kinds of arguments.  I used YAURS infrequently, but I got on well with Nigel.  Shame, really, it all ended so badly.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2013, 10:53:22 pm by The L J Monk »
"A SLANGING match between two Doncaster Rovers fans on a supporters' club website has ended up before a judge.
In what is believed to be the first case of its kind, lifelong fan Nigel Wroe took fellow supporter David Beddoes to court as a result of comments written on a fans' chatroom.

Although both parties were adamant that it was a personal dispute which did not reflect upon the club, the argument started with critical comments made by Mr Wroe about Doncaster's choice of manager, after Sean O'Driscoll was appointed in September 2006.

This provoked an angry response from Mr Beddoes and other fans on the Viking Supporters' Co-operative website.

Mr Wroe, who lives in Hampshire but still supports the Rovers on a regular basis, claimed the remarks had cost him sleepless nights when he appeared at Doncaster County Court. He took legal action against Balby man David Beddoes, claiming that his remarks were defamatory and amounted to harassment.

District Judge Dinah Stocken agreed that Mr Wroe's allegation was valid, and granted an injunction against Mr Beddoes, preventing him from posting any more comments about Mr Wroe on the site for the next six months.

"I haven't written anything about him since May," said Mr Beddoes after the case. "It's been a nightmare – I never believed it would get as far as this. It was just a few off-the-cuff remarks on a website, for which I've already apologised."

However, the apology wasn't public, which was one of the strands of Mr Wroe's case.

Judge Stocken found that harassment was proven, and granted the injunction. However she refused to award costs, saying that, in her judgement, the matter should never have come to the attention of the court at all.

She said: "I'm not minded to make any order for costs. I think this matter could have been sorted out before it became the subject of the court's attention."

Mr Wroe was happy with the judgement. He said: "My main concern was that harassment was proven. I want to deter other parties from doing the same thing.

"My issues were never with the club, which I still hold as dear as ever, just against a body of misdirected fans who have been badly led."

A case brought by Mr Wroe against another Rovers fan, which was due to be heard on Monday, has been dropped."

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 28, 2013, 12:10:48 am by Filo »
Not quite.

Dave Morris took Nigel to court, and Filo and Rigo were next in the firing line.  I'll let Filo fill the blanks (if he wants to).

Nigel decided to introduce a yellow/red card system, which didnt sit easily with paying members, and caused all kinds of arguments.  I used YAURS infrequently, but I got on well with Nigel.  Shame, really, it all ended so badly.

Rob, it was a Dave that launched legal proceedings against him but not Dave Morris, he settled out of court I believe and decided to try and recoup his losses by taking me and Rigo to court, he also sent out letters before action to a few others. When his claim for damages against me was struck out he dropped the case against Rigo. Looking back now I reckon that me and Rigo were the fall guys for the bigger players in the dispute.

P.S. Apart from being born at Weston Hospital Balby, I`ve never been a Balby man, lazy Journo`s eh? :)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 28, 2013, 07:32:40 am by RobTheRover »
Thanks for clearing that up, Dave.  The old memory isnt what it once was.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 28, 2013, 08:34:51 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Amazing story

I wasnt even aware that this happened and I did post on that site when it was free.  I even picked up a yellow card too once  :laugh: took me ages to figure out what it was for though.

Think I made a prediction on a game and said "we'll give them a good hiding"

Yellow card for you son  :crying:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 28, 2013, 11:07:34 am by BobG »
I knew Nigel reasonably well. Not a bosom buddy or anything, but ok. He was quite pleasant for a long, long time. Worked hard. Did some good things for the Rovers too. But something got to him big time. I tried to talk to him about his descent into paranoia and litigation. It ended up with him threatening me too. He had no good reason for what he did during those days. The only thing I can suggest is that he flipped. Not seen or heard for him since. Has he been spotted at any games? He was a nice bloke underneath it all.

BobG
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:09:15 pm by BobG »

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 28, 2013, 01:41:59 pm by keyser_soze »
The warning signs were always there from the early days of the Topica email list, when a mysterious pseudonym troll found its way on to the list at the same time he did and proceeded to tear down the efforts of the existing unofficial website creators.

When he rage-quit the list I seem to remember you Bob also quitting on the strength of the perceived persecution of him by other members.

I ran an unofficial website for a time (with an unmoderated forum that was eventually amalgamated into Confguide, and ultimately taken over by the VSC, becoming this very board a few evolutions later) and I too was threatened with litigation for comments made by another user - I ceased my involvement with unofficial websites soon after.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 28, 2013, 09:15:44 pm by Dagenham Rover »
The warning signs were always there from the early days of the Topica email list, when a mysterious pseudonym troll found its way on to the list at the same time he did and proceeded to tear down the efforts of the existing unofficial website creators.

When he rage-quit the list I seem to remember you Bob also quitting on the strength of the perceived persecution of him by other members.

I ran an unofficial website for a time (with an unmoderated forum that was eventually amalgamated into Confguide, and ultimately taken over by the VSC, becoming this very board a few evolutions later) and I too was threatened with litigation for comments made by another user - I ceased my involvement with unofficial websites soon after.

Blimey Topicas  going back some, I was subscribed to that in my early days of being online...... now don't get me on about "Snatch of the Day" on Hermans old site   :lol:

On Yaurs I got a yellow card for a spelling mistake  :s
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:17:39 pm by Dagenham Rover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 28, 2013, 10:10:37 pm by BobG »
I don't remember that Keyser. I've been sitting here thinking about it. There's a very faint bell tinkling but I really can't put any detail at all to it. Used to enjoy that Topica list though.

Cheers

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 28, 2013, 10:59:47 pm by RobTheRover »
I used to enjoy Snatch of the Day

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 29, 2013, 08:42:23 am by keyser_soze »

Blimey Topicas  going back some, I was subscribed to that in my early days of being online...... now don't get me on about "Snatch of the Day" on Hermans old site   :lol:

Yep, Andy Spiers good old Topica list that spawned the original R'Sonists, which I think was originally hosted by isfa.com? Tom Beardsley, John Coyle, Bob & Ray, Nathan, Frosty, Carl Jennings, Woodmansey & Herman all among the more prolific contributors.

I'm talking late 90's here, probably 1997-1998 (I'd just discovered the Internet at University) - Colin Cramb/Darren Moore era.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 29, 2013, 04:47:18 pm by BobG »
Were you Keyser on that Topica list Keyser? Sounds a daft question!

BobG

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 30, 2013, 06:49:48 pm by keyser_soze »
Were you Keyser on that Topica list Keyser? Sounds a daft question!

BobG

Not my real name btw. PM sent Bob!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 30, 2013, 09:26:49 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Yep, Andy Spiers good old Topica list that spawned the original R'Sonists, which I think was originally hosted by isfa.com? Tom Beardsley, John Coyle, Bob & Ray, Nathan, Frosty, Carl Jennings, Woodmansey & Herman all among the more prolific contributors.

I'm talking late 90's here, probably 1997-1998 (I'd just discovered the Internet at University) - Colin Cramb/Darren Moore era.

I'm not even sure I joined in, it was when I first started finding the internet and was pretty afraid to actually press the enter button   :) although I started to join in on Donny " kin " rovers  It was all so harmlessly irreverent back then, and Politically Correct what the frig was that  :ohmy:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 31, 2013, 09:52:27 am by MrFrost »

Google internet time machine. A lot of old sites come up on that. Think my old unofficial site is kicking around.
My first attempt at a Rovers site was in the 97/98 season, using space on my old AOL account.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 31, 2013, 05:53:25 pm by Savvy »
I knew Nigel reasonably well. Not a bosom buddy or anything, but ok. He was quite pleasant for a long, long time. Worked hard. Did some good things for the Rovers too. But something got to him big time. I tried to talk to him about his descent into paranoia and litigation. It ended up with him threatening me too. He had no good reason for what he did during those days. The only thing I can suggest is that he flipped. Not seen or heard for him since. Has he been spotted at any games? He was a nice bloke underneath it all.

BobG

My experiences as well Bob!

Thought the site was brilliant, but everything seemed to change in an instant!!! No one could have predicted the way that things turned out.  Really surprised reading that email that Nigel Wroe is meant to have sent, I remember receiving one from him not long after he'd decided to pull the site thanking me for contributing to the site...which was nice!!!!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 31, 2013, 06:07:13 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Bob you have pm,

not that what I sent you looks that busy!

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 07, 2013, 12:43:59 am by Herman Hessian »
the inestimable Mirsad Bubalovic has intimated that there may be a requirement for a Rovers forum with some less stringent behavioural guidelines than the VSC site currently requires.

if some basic market research indicates that this is, in fact, the case, DFR may yet ride again.....

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 07, 2013, 08:59:06 am by Dagenham Rover »
As long as it as politically incorrect as the original incarnation  :blink:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012