Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:50:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Reserve Team Next Season  (Read 2074 times)

weststander

• VSC Member
Reserve Team Next Season
« on April 19, 2013, 10:17:26 am by weststander »
to play in the Central league. Will it have to play on the Keepmoat pitch? If so more games on the playing surface.  :(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
Re: Reserve Team Next Season
« Reply #1 on April 19, 2013, 10:18:59 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Hopefully the athletics stadium next door will be adequate.  Or even Cantley Park?

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 19, 2013, 10:29:55 am by weststander »
I thought this was one of the issues when we previously had a reserve team that the athletics stadium was not suitable. Something to do with changing facilities?

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 19, 2013, 10:31:21 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I thought this was one of the issues when we previously had a reserve team that the athletics stadium was not suitable. Something to do with changing facilities?

Think you're right.

Cantley Park should be ok though I'd have thought

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 19, 2013, 10:37:51 am by RobTheRover »
They will almost certainly be at Cantley Park.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 19, 2013, 11:20:10 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Looking at the current teams in that league it should be good experience against a number of football league clubs.  Current teams include (Rotherham, Hull, Burton, Tranmere, Morecambe, Mansfield, Bradford, Bury, Walsall, Shrewsbury, Oldham).  Has to be a positive step really especially for the newly signed youth players.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 19, 2013, 11:52:12 am by oggycompton »
Agree totally.

We have needed a reserve side for a while. I remember when people were clammering for Ball or Wakefield to play for us, realistically they hadnt played competitive football for months so couldnt be put in. This will aloow a bridge between the youth sides and the first team and will also I think allow for us to take a chance on some youngsters if required as they will be match fit.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 19, 2013, 11:56:02 am by RedJ »
Will we be able to go down and watch, anyone? I know it won't exactly be thrilling games, but it'd be nice to see how the kids coming up are getting on, and how close to returning to fitness players actually are.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 19, 2013, 12:15:53 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I remember paying to watch Reserve matches a few times in the 1960's - usually with 100-200 others - and in particular I went to Alick Jeffrey's first comeback match in the Reserves when the crowd was 2836

If you think that was a lot, in the 1950-1 season the Average attendance at Reserve matches was 2749 with a highest of 6659

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 19, 2013, 12:35:16 pm by weststander »
I think in those days ST holders got into reserve team games free and often reserve team home games were played when the first team played away. My grandfather had a ST and I seem to recollect that was the case. But then memory is a dangerous thing to rely on.
 :unsure:

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 19, 2013, 12:42:30 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Ah yes, reserve team matches...happy days! The match that sticks out in my mind was in the mid '60's when we beat Stockport County 6-0...............the highlight being that all 6 goals were scored by the late Tony Leighton. He walked off with the ball and each member of the County team made a point of shaking him by the hand at the end of the game.
I've got a programme of that game somewhere in the loft.........I think! They were free when you paid to go in.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 19, 2013, 12:58:23 pm by dknward2 »
This could be great reserve team game first at Cantley park then nice walk up to keepmoat for first team

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 19, 2013, 01:08:08 pm by WBDRFC »
Are reserve team games played midweek evenings? They used to be when I used to go in the 90s. If so, does Cantley Park have lights? It's a couple of years since I've been to the training ground, but there were no lights then. Many teams play their reserve games at non-league grounds.

Edit: Just checked this season's fixtures and they are midweek - a mixture of afternoon and evening kick offs.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:11:40 pm by WBDRFC »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 19, 2013, 01:12:01 pm by RedJ »
Are reserve team games played midweek evenings? They used to be when I used to go in the 90s. If so, does Cantley Park have lights? It's a couple of years since I've been to the training ground, but there were no lights then. Many teams play their reserve games at non-league grounds.

Edit: Just checked this seasons fixtures and they are midweek - a mixture of afternoon and evening kick offs.

Could be an opportunity to help the local sides with a cut of the gate (I know it won't be much but still) if we can do this.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 19, 2013, 03:49:21 pm by newyankee »
I think you have to look at what was when talking about reserve team attendances from the past.  Don't forget, in those days travel was very limited, we did not have the numbers going to home and away games as we do now.

There is also the point that there is far more entertainment for people these days compared to the old days.

The old Belle Vue attendance record for example was almost 40,000 because people grew up watching football. There was no TV until the early fifties, no computer games , etc etc.

I don't think reserve games these days are for anything other than blooding youngsters, getting players fit and looking at trialists.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 19, 2013, 10:09:01 pm by donnievic »
If the athletics ground not not adequate enough then I can't see cantley park either,wasnt it sumthing to do with the changing rooms not being within the compound or not having a walkway.And sure it would need sum sort of stand.Can see games being maybe played at Armthorpe,broddy or askern

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 19, 2013, 10:27:57 pm by albie »
It is not too difficult to put in some Portacabin changing rooms for the Athletics facility surely?

Makes sense to use the capacity we have in the right way.

Reserve games might attract some fans along to see the players coming up through the system, and it might also allow home youth games to be played before a 3pm saturday home game. Make them free to ST holders, 12.30 ko, double entertainment!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 20, 2013, 01:58:14 am by RoversAlias »
Who is 'We', Rigo?

Thanks for the info, sounds like we'll be fine with a place to house the side.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012