Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 01:14:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: did anyone else not realise we'd scored ???  (Read 5080 times)

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
did anyone else not realise we'd scored ???
« on April 29, 2013, 10:40:43 pm by afro goal machine »
With my poor view (looking around that steel girder and through sullivans goal) i managed to see the action and once the ball got cleared i thought the final whistle had gone. I turned and went ballistic with some guys next to me.
     it wasn't until my friend was banging on about coppinger and 'that goal' outside the stand that i said 'when did he score that?'

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRFCCOYR

• Forum Member
Re: did anyone else not realise we'd scored ???
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2013, 11:18:39 pm by DRFCCOYR »
I only realised just as Copps was tapping the ball in the net! I was still celebrating their missed penalty, when I turned around Copps was tapping it in. Even then I thought the game was over and that it didn't count, it only sunk in until everyone started chanting 'championies'!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2013, 01:04:55 am by RobTheRover »
With my poor view (looking around that steel girder and through sullivans goal) ....

Were you in the Brentford end, Afro?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2013, 02:01:30 am by RoversAlias »
I too almost missed it. I didn't celebrate until Quinn cleared it as I'm always wary of the rebound, but when the ball was booted out to halfway I went mental with everyone around me. Took a moment to look back at the pitch assuming the game had ended to see Paynter steaming in on the penalty box! Amazing, what a feeling.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2013, 05:34:23 am by afro goal machine »
With my poor view (looking around that steel girder and through sullivans goal) ....

Were you in the Brentford end, Afro?

away end. I was close to where them flares went off but as the game went on i found myself going further back into the stand.

(it was sullivans goal first half sorry, just seen my error)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:53:12 am by afro goal machine »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2013, 12:22:01 pm by MrFrost »
Can remember paynter running down the wing and Copps scoring clearly. Can't remember the clearance or celebrating them missing. That is all a blur!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2013, 12:28:28 pm by RobTheRover »
I remember being clenched tighter than a gnat's chuff for the 4 or 5 seconds after the ball cannoned off the bar and the scramble ensued.  Then I was turning and celebrating with my mates, and when I turned back Billy was slipping it through for Copps (who I thought had stumbled over it and my heart was in my mouth again) and when it hit the back of the net I just went crazy.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2013, 12:35:53 pm by graingrover »
Paynter was haring down the wing headed  straight for the spot below  where I was in the first row 'balcony' ..  I hadn't seen Copps set off on a sprint from the halfway line .. then the smoke from the flares the cacophony of sound and soon the chants of Campioni campioni .. indicating Bournemouth had dropped points.Instant news communication these days to further increase the level of joy in our celebrations no doubt echoed in front of TV screens in Donny and throughout the world ... so WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE SCORED?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 30, 2013, 12:38:04 pm by dickos1 »
We were right in the corner next to all the disturbance with the stewards, a steward actually chinned one of our fans down there.
I too was going mental and looked up just to see coppingers head, and wondered what the f**k is he doing up here, and then proceed to take his shirt off, had no idea he'd scored.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2013, 12:48:35 pm by RobTheRover »
... so WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE SCORED?

About 20 feet to your right, from the description you gave of where you were

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2013, 01:10:53 pm by graingrover »
Who were the three guys in Viking fancy dress ? brilliant .. I asked to take a photo, and one of them threw a Rovers flag around the shoulders of a fourth guy sat between them and he immediately rejected it and fled the photo. Either on the run or a closet Leeds fan?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 30, 2013, 01:21:33 pm by MrFrost »
What went on with their stewards? I can remember one of our fans getting a kick in for going on the pitch then someone punched a black steward in the face. Really thought it was going to kick off majorly.

Was surprised there wasn't a full scale pitch invasion.

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2013, 01:36:22 pm by ReadingViking »
Up in the stand in the left hand corner as you look out  on to the pitch, with my 9 year old son. Just put my arm round my lad when he pointed to the spot and he just said 'well me might still get to Wembley'  - when the ball hit the bar we both jumped up and I think I remember about 5 seconds of quiet during the scramble then all hell breaking lose when Quinny put his boot through it. I was huging my son until I heard someone shout 'Go on Billy' and looked up see Bill and Copps bearing down on goal. Ball hits net and then I just lost it. Jumping up and down screaming my head off, but i don't recall any sound coming out. Then I realised what it could mean and asked the woman next to me what the Bournemouth score was - she told me they'd lost and them everyone started with the 'CHAMPIONE'. I hugged the bloke and his wife in front, got a little misty eyed and just stood and watched the best unit of players I have seen in  Rovers shirt, enjoying their well deserved moment of glory.  Getting emotional just typing that out.  Woke up Sunday morning with a really sore and swollen hand -  I still have no idea how I did it. :scarf: RTID
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:43:31 pm by ReadingViking »

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2013, 01:47:03 pm by afro goal machine »
What went on with their stewards? I can remember one of our fans getting a kick in for going on the pitch then someone punched a black steward in the face. Really thought it was going to kick off majorly.

Was surprised there wasn't a full scale pitch invasion.

that steward didn't look a happy bunny. He was trying to take on the whole stand from what i could see. There was no need for all them stewards/bouncers to be there once the team came over but they were still trying to get it to kick off.
the guy who ran on copped for a harsh booting out. At least 4 pinned and held him to the floor. All way over the top

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2013, 03:24:14 pm by Jenny »
I missed it all!! First I saw of the penalty and the goal was on the FLS!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2013, 03:27:36 pm by MrFrost »
I missed it all!! First I saw of the penalty and the goal was on the FLS!

What were you doing?

I managed to smuggle a bottle of JD into the ground. Don't think i'd have kept my nerve without it.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2013, 03:29:07 pm by Jenny »
Sat on the floor crying.... I think I was a bit worse for wear, I don't remember much from about 2:15 onwards!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 30, 2013, 03:36:25 pm by GazLaz »
I was to the left of the goal. A steward hit one of of our fans there. I got involved, a bleach steward came over to hold people back and I tried to undo his watch to nause him up a bit and he went mental trying to get to me! I was giving him some grief!!

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2013, 03:42:25 pm by Rovers Return »
Ball crashes against the bar and complete an utter pandomonium erupt, cautiously at first until the ball is cleared. Cue real celebration, spinning around to celebrate with my kids..........gone, nowhere to be seen. I shout to my brother I've lost my kids.....he's busy doing his good samartan bit and is holding up a set of keys he's found on the floor. We are both facing the other way and only turn around as Copps comes running along the wall with his shirt off to the roar of 'Championees'! There was no audible break between the celebration of the miss and the goal. Sod it bugger the kids!!! Cue mass histeria......................................................................

Oh the kids? The celebrations on the penalty miss carried them away to the right and down to the front. Well thats where I found them, good job really wife would have been really pissed with me.  :(

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2013, 06:24:15 pm by Bessie Red »
I was sat with my son on the Right Hand side of the balcony Row C Seats 3 & 4 & my recollection is very similar to Reading Viking's. Me & the lad were sat very glum waiting for the inevitable goal from the pen when it smacked against the bar - we both jumped up & I lifted him up in the air with my back to the pitch & after about 15 secs my lad punches me on the shoulder & shouts " Paynters on the attack Dad & they've got no-one back"  so I put him down & swung round just as Paynter was about to square it to Copps. It seemed like an age for Copps to control the ball & tap it in & there seemed to be like an eerie silence then ...... bang all hell broke loose!!!!

What a day, what a 20 seconds - that is what following the Rovers is all about.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 30, 2013, 06:38:40 pm by donnievic »
I tried getting on when we scored but just ended up sitting on barrier before getting pushed back into the crowd,then my lad got abit squashed tried lifting him over and the steward just laughed and was pushing him back in aswell just to the right  of the goal.i went mental with the stewards around there,his hand his now bruised and swallow ended up going to 1st aid room after game with him

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 30, 2013, 06:58:43 pm by MrFrost »
The stewards were utter cants.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 30, 2013, 07:08:17 pm by dickos1 »
To be fair they were just doing their job and when they hit bar they got swamped by 15-20 fans trying to get on the pitch.
They did us a favour cause if they'd got on pitch I think the ref would've stopped the game and copps goal would never have happened.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 30, 2013, 08:28:12 pm by Red wizard »
Good point Dicko. I got pushed right to the front when he missed the pen it was mental. As i looked up i saw Copps tapping it home for 1-0. I thought i was gunna pass out.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 30, 2013, 08:31:16 pm by RedArmy »
Didnt have a clue it had gone in.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 30, 2013, 08:44:17 pm by MiKA »
We were stood front row and only 10m or so away from our goal and even now I'm not sure we scored, it still all feels like a dream    :rtid: 

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 30, 2013, 08:50:25 pm by Woodhead Passer »
I just remember nearly being in tears when the penalty was awarded. The rest was a blur  :scarf:

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 30, 2013, 08:55:14 pm by afro goal machine »
I just remember nearly being in tears when the penalty was awarded. The rest was a blur  :scarf:

there were grown men practically in teats round me. I remember one say holding back the emotion 'hes not going to miss it, is he?'
and at the point i thought, no he probably wont  :crying:

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 30, 2013, 09:02:05 pm by bedale rover »
I missed it
But I was at home listening to rovers player!!!

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 30, 2013, 10:47:52 pm by nice one rovers »
Who were the three guys in Viking fancy dress ? brilliant .. I asked to take a photo, and one of them threw a Rovers flag around the shoulders of a fourth guy sat between them and he immediately rejected it and fled the photo. Either on the run or a closet Leeds fan?

Eyup,
That would be me, (moustachioed), with my eldest lad. The one who refused any publicity was our middle'un ,he's the odd-kid in the family but sort of enjoys that role.
I really took to the whole Viking thing and refused to take it off for bed, with a view to a bit of drunken pillaging/raping role play. Wife was having none of it though, as she'd had a lovely day and didn't want to spoil it!
Thinking about wearing it to all home & away games in future and becoming a bit of a character like the one that Portsmouth have, but without the musical ability.
More of us should dress up at the last away games, its a laugh.

One thing which came from it was, a lovely Liverpool couple asked to have their photo with us. We got talking with them for awhile , and I asked why a pair of scousers were at a Rovers game in London.
"we've come to see our boy play " she says. "He loves it at the Rovers and is hoping he can stay another year". lovely ,lovely people Mr & Mrs Lundstram.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012