Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:48:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who do you want as our next manager?

Paul Dickov
2 (0.8%)
Dean Saunders
14 (5.4%)
Terry Butcher
6 (2.3%)
Owen Coyle
87 (33.5%)
Simon Grayson
22 (8.5%)
Kenny Jackett
20 (7.7%)
Neil Warnock
10 (3.8%)
Gary Megson
0 (0%)
Phil Parkinson
25 (9.6%)
Phil Neville
31 (11.9%)
Danny Wilson
0 (0%)
Stuart McCall
2 (0.8%)
Steve Lomas
0 (0%)
Michael Appleton
2 (0.8%)
Andy Morrell
1 (0.4%)
A N Other
38 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 248

Author Topic: Who Do You Want Then?  (Read 13211 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Re: Who Do You Want Then?
« Reply #60 on May 09, 2013, 11:18:23 pm by les@donr »
Justin Edinburgh has recently gone on record to say he wants to manage higher up the FL than where Newport will be come August, could he be hinting to a move? He gave the interview prior to the Conference Final.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 09, 2013, 11:21:53 pm by JonWallsend »
Well I've changed my mind. I've been back and listened to a few of Saunders interviews before he left and I'm convinced he wanted to improve the brand of football we were playing whilst maintaining that toughness.

I certainly think he was involved in identifying Furman coming to the club although not sure about him having any influence of the Lundstram signing.

Saunders was more acutely aware of our budget and knew the areas that needed improvement or sacrifice on and off the pitch.

Listening to him again has convinced me he's worth another crack to see if he can move us forward again, along with Flynn and Jones.

Whether he gives us that opportunity before the Blades step in, who knows, but the realistic alternatives do not seem as attractive. 

History has taught me there's a problem with giving any credence to what  Saunders says in interviews. It is usually what he thinks the fans want to hear, seldom delivers on it and generally believes, that if you haven't played for Liverpool, then you should disregard the evidence of your own eyes as you can't possibly understand the subtle nuances of the game.

He built a strong, organised, functional and effective side that got us to second top of League one and for that he has been rightly acclaimed. The football was by and large very poor.

He couldn't keep a Wolves side up despite being 8 points clear of the drop zone when he was appointed and proclaiming ' I am targetting the play offs'  (I assume the Wolves fans-correctly- belived this to be a more realistic target than when he insisted it was his aim on taking over at Rovers)

The reality is he accrued 17 points less (from 2 less games) than Flitcroft did at Barnsley, when he was appointed at a similar stage of the season. Saunders had far more at his disposal than Flitcroft and a great deal more than he'll have at Rovers next season. I am struggling to think of one player who would get in the Wolves first team.

It isn't as though his methods take time to adapt to. His football is basic, he is a man motivator. He came up woefully short at Molineux.

I wouldn't hold him responsible for our Championship relegation, though I tired of his false promises and downright lies and he was wholly complicit with 'The Experiment'. "We will not concede from corners next week" The players will keep the ball much better" " The lads that Willy has brought in have genuine quality(perhaps) and we're lucky to have them (definitely not)."We have created so many chances" and of course his defence of Diouf that helped to launch Saunders PI.

I backed him when he was here and if he was to return, I would do again. However, I wasn't sorry to see the back of him. I don't begrudge him for trying to better himself with a bigger club (who wouldn't) but I think it would be a mistake to reappoint him .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 09, 2013, 11:46:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I agree with all that you have said and deep down I wish there was someone out there who can deliver the things we desire. I just can't see anyone else with the credentials wanting to come.

Micky Steadfast

« Reply #63 on May 10, 2013, 12:00:26 am by Micky Steadfast »
Just to add my thoughts here, JR's appointment of O'Driscoll was certainly influenced by that 5-0 defeat at Dean Court (Nic Priet fans will remember!).  In the 2004-5 season we had just come up after winning League 2 in our first season after the Conference and were still somewhat of an unknown quantity. 

In late August we played at Colchester managed by Phil Parkinson and I can still remember listening to an interview with Parkinson on Radio Essex as I was driving to the game.  I think its fair to say he knew everything about us - strength, weaknesses the way we would play and I thought he was very sharp.  They beat us 4-1 that day and completely overran us, this was a bit of a shock to a team that had got used to winning and I think it was the first heavy defeat for a long time (we went to Bournemouth for the 5-0 about a month later).  I've looked out for Parkinson since then and although he did well with that Colchester team I've been a bit surprised he didn't really do much else with Hull and Charlton - until surfacing this year with Bradford's cup run.

I just feel he ticks a lot of JR's boxes and IF Bradford don't go up he must be at least considered.  I hope so anyway!  Also think Graeme Jones is a good shout and if Martinez leaves Wigan he may fancy a go at full management .........(he may very well fancy being assistant manager at Everton too!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 10, 2013, 07:54:20 am by DonnyOsmond »
Well I've changed my mind. I've been back and listened to a few of Saunders interviews before he left and I'm convinced he wanted to improve the brand of football we were playing whilst maintaining that toughness.

I certainly think he was involved in identifying Furman coming to the club although not sure about him having any influence of the Lundstram signing.

Saunders was more acutely aware of our budget and knew the areas that needed improvement or sacrifice on and off the pitch.

Listening to him again has convinced me he's worth another crack to see if he can move us forward again, along with Flynn and Jones.

Whether he gives us that opportunity before the Blades step in, who knows, but the realistic alternatives do not seem as attractive. 

History has taught me there's a problem with giving any credence to what  Saunders says in interviews. It is usually what he thinks the fans want to hear, seldom delivers on it and generally believes, that if you haven't played for Liverpool, then you should disregard the evidence of your own eyes as you can't possibly understand the subtle nuances of the game.

He built a strong, organised, functional and effective side that got us to second top of League one and for that he has been rightly acclaimed. The football was by and large very poor.

He couldn't keep a Wolves side up despite being 8 points clear of the drop zone when he was appointed and proclaiming ' I am targetting the play offs'  (I assume the Wolves fans-correctly- belived this to be a more realistic target than when he insisted it was his aim on taking over at Rovers)

The reality is he accrued 17 points less (from 2 less games) than Flitcroft did at Barnsley, when he was appointed at a similar stage of the season. Saunders had far more at his disposal than Flitcroft and a great deal more than he'll have at Rovers next season. I am struggling to think of one player who would get in the Wolves first team.

It isn't as though his methods take time to adapt to. His football is basic, he is a man motivator. He came up woefully short at Molineux.

I wouldn't hold him responsible for our Championship relegation, though I tired of his false promises and downright lies and he was wholly complicit with 'The Experiment'. "We will not concede from corners next week" The players will keep the ball much better" " The lads that Willy has brought in have genuine quality(perhaps) and we're lucky to have them (definitely not)."We have created so many chances" and of course his defence of Diouf that helped to launch Saunders PI.

I backed him when he was here and if he was to return, I would do again. However, I wasn't sorry to see the back of him. I don't begrudge him for trying to better himself with a bigger club (who wouldn't) but I think it would be a mistake to reappoint him .

Wolves were 6 points off relegation when he took over and had won 3 of their last 17. The writing was on the wall.

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 10, 2013, 11:31:46 am by RedRover »
If fans and chairmen alike are prepared to overlook the poor record of Phil Parkinson at Hull and Charlton then the fact Steve Tilson is not currently in work (management) is amazing!

His record at Lincoln City was poor but that club is in one hell of a mess. In his time at Southend though he led them to successive promotions, 2 Football League Trophy finals, knocked Man Utd out of the League Cup and held Chelsea to a draw at Stamford Bridge. His win ratio was 39.66% which over 358 games is pretty good!

Should we be overlooking him?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:34:22 am by RedRover »

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on May 10, 2013, 11:56:06 am by weststander »
This is the same Steve Tilson that's just left Canvey Island by mutual consent after 1 season

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on May 10, 2013, 12:16:17 pm by Red wizard »
Steve Tilson. I hope we are aiming a lot higher than him. We should look at Nick Barmbey.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 10, 2013, 12:23:27 pm by wing commander »
 I know this is a bit left field but i would consider Steve Keane...He never stood a hope at Blackburn with the fans but I always thought he talked a lot of sence and maybe just maybe with a club who actually support him and a set of fans who clap him on his first day rather than boo him to the rafters...He could do great things..

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on May 10, 2013, 12:26:30 pm by Filo »
I know this is a bit left field but i would consider Steve Keane...He never stood a hope at Blackburn with the fans but I always thought he talked a lot of sence and maybe just maybe with a club who actually support him and a set of fans who clap him on his first day rather than boo him to the rafters...He could do great things..

Too much psychological damage to the man, he was destroyed at Blackburn, we want a confident man

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 10, 2013, 12:46:24 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

Thats a decent shout to be fair WC.

Didnt he have Blackburn around 8th and a couple of points off the play-offs before he was sacked too?  They've sank like a stone since he left

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on May 10, 2013, 12:53:44 pm by RobTheRover »
Hasnt Steve Keane just been given a job in the Chelsea backroom staff?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 10, 2013, 01:09:00 pm by wing commander »
Didn't know that Rob....Just with what we will have to work with budget wise compaired to most in this division next year..We do have to be a bit more radical in our thinking (the experiment aside)....I know he had a awful time, more so than any other manager but I like him and show the man some appreciation and i bet he would give his everything which is vital.....All about opinions though....And while ever Dickov is favourite for this job for a reason I still still cant understand why...Anything is possible..lol

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 10, 2013, 01:31:56 pm by RoversAlias »

Thats a decent shout to be fair WC.

Didnt he have Blackburn around 8th and a couple of points off the play-offs before he was sacked too?  They've sank like a stone since he left

They were 3rd.

Doesn't mean he's a good manager though.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 10, 2013, 02:30:52 pm by wing commander »
  True but it certainly means he cant be a bad one....with what he faced its good enough for my vote...but i appreciate i will be firmly in the minority on this one.lol :scarf:

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 10, 2013, 04:26:19 pm by LincsRover »
My bro's been banging on about Graeme Jones. Anyone been following his progress? Is he management material or purely assistant?

Not a bad shout - think it was Burnley who wanted him as manager last year - Martinez rates him very highly but could be ready for a move if they are relegated

Yeah! Definitely would be happy with him - also think Kenny Jackett or Karl Robinson would be good too - I'm assuming we can't afford Coyle! Any one of these would do for me but I'm sure JR will make the right choice & I'll support whoever it is!

:rtid:

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 10, 2013, 04:46:13 pm by les@donr »
Steve Tilson is probably heading to Chelmsford to fill their manager position.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 10, 2013, 04:56:11 pm by River Don »
If we could prize him away from Brentford, Uwe Rosler wouldn't be a bad pick at all.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 10, 2013, 04:58:40 pm by les@donr »
Rd, hasn't he signed an extension to his contract with the Bees?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 10, 2013, 05:02:38 pm by River Don »
Rd, hasn't he signed an extension to his contract with the Bees?

A very brief glance at Google didn't turn anything up about it but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on May 10, 2013, 05:38:12 pm by les@donr »
RD, I either read it on the BBC website or the Bees website.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 10, 2013, 06:00:45 pm by Donnyrovers »
I think Rosler would take quite a bit of compensation looks like he's going to be a very good manager in the future would be great if we could get him.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 10, 2013, 06:19:43 pm by JonWallsend »

He couldn't keep a Wolves side up despite being 8 points clear of the drop zone

The reality is he accrued 17 points less (from 2 less games) than Flitcroft did at Barnsley, when he was appointed at a similar stage of the season. Saunders had far more at his disposal than Flitcroft.

Wolves were 6 points off relegation when he took over and had won 3 of their last 17. The writing was on the wall.

I stand corrected on the points difference.  Barnsley were in the relegation places with 2 wins in 17. The writing was on the wall for them. They got a manager in, who ignored the writing, and kept them up with a squad of far less ability, on paper, than the one Saunders inherited.

I accept that Wolves were in a decline- Thats why Dean was brought in: to arrest it.  He couldn't do it. He could be a success at Rovers this time, I just can't see it, but I reiterate that I would be fully behind him, if he was re-appointed, as I have been all our managers with the exception Of Weaver and towards the end of his tenure, Cusack.

It is his constant excuses, blame culture, whinging and downright lies when it doesn't go his way that annoys me.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a no from me.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 10, 2013, 06:37:19 pm by RoversAlias »
  True but it certainly means he cant be a bad one....with what he faced its good enough for my vote...but i appreciate i will be firmly in the minority on this one.lol :scarf:

His stewardship at Blackburn took them from the top half of the Premier League to relegation though. I think it was unfair how the fans treated him and having those wretched owners didn't help but I don't think he has proven a jot in management at that club.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 10, 2013, 06:43:18 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Steve Davis from Crewe just about ticks every JR box and would have us play the kind of football we want to watch, I would go for him.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on May 10, 2013, 09:06:50 pm by Al4475 »
Anyone who can move the club forward will do for me!

Hopefully one of Grayson, Graeme Jones, Parkinson or Rosler would be my preferred choice if pushed. Two of those would be gambles though I feel.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 10, 2013, 09:08:13 pm by RedJ »
I want Grayson or Parkinson.

No thank you to Mr Uwe "masturbates over how wonderful he is in his interviews despite how his team did" Rosler.

I'll back whoever we get, like.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 10, 2013, 09:59:48 pm by BobG »
Not Parkinson. Horrible footy.

Not sure if you mean you would, or wouldn't, support a masturbating Uwe Rosler Red?

BobG

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 10, 2013, 10:22:29 pm by RedJ »
Not Parkinson. Horrible footy.

Not sure if you mean you would, or wouldn't, support a masturbating Uwe Rosler Red?

BobG

Hey, so long as he does his masturbating out of the media it's fine by me :laugh:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on May 10, 2013, 10:45:59 pm by BobG »
:):):)

Cheers!

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012