Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:58:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Welcome to England / There aint no room for you  (Read 4499 times)

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
Silly season it is. Was thinking about foreign players who came to England and lit up the game vs those who wern't welcome for one reason or another;

Welcome to England

Dennis Bergkamp
Zola
Tony Yeboah
Matt Les Tissier (some may say not technically foreign but I've always considered him French)

There aint no room for ya

di Canio (?)
Veron
Diouf (?)
Balotelli (?)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: Welcome to England / There aint no room for you
« Reply #1 on May 22, 2013, 05:50:12 pm by Wellred »
Who is Matt Les Tissier?

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 22, 2013, 06:11:51 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Who is Matt Les Tissier?

It's the plural form of definite article when referring to more than one Matt Le Tissier. Both of which are pronouced the same. Did you not do french at school? Did you go to school?

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 22, 2013, 06:31:47 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Im confused about Le Tiss, he isnt foreign.....

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 22, 2013, 06:36:37 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

He's as french as they come.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 22, 2013, 07:03:32 pm by wilts rover »
Yes as all his 8 England caps prove.

Is it just me who is offended by your post regarding foreigners who are not welcome?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 22, 2013, 07:06:48 pm by Wellred »

You obviously did neither History or Geography at school.
Point 1. Le Tissier is from Guernsey.
Point 2. Whilst Guernsey did belong to France many years ago it is now a possession of the British Crown.

Jersey is not part of the UK and isn't a member of the EU either.
It is one of the British Isles however.

Lesson over.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 22, 2013, 07:18:58 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Is it just me who is offended by your post regarding foreigners who are not welcome?

It's amazing how people take things out of context on forums. As someone who is currently abroad in a developing country, I'm genuinely interested to know why you find it offensive or why it would offend you? Genuinely.

The title of this thread is taken from the lyrics of a famous (well famous amongst clash fans) clash song called "straight to hell" which was an ironic/satirical look/critique of the way immigrants are/were treated in British society. The thread was started (almost ironically you might say) as a look at the mixed fortunes of foreign players in the premiership (and how different characters had engrosses themselves to the British public or media). It said nothing about substantive issues of migration to or from this country or made no political statements thereafter.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:21:02 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 22, 2013, 07:19:25 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

Point 2. Whilst Guernsey did belong to France many years ago it is now a possession of the British Crown.

Lesson over.

He was french, read his autobiography.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 22, 2013, 07:31:32 pm by The L J Monk »

Intriguing:

"Perhaps you should have played for France. Is it true that Michel Platini had earlier tried to convince you to declare for them?"
"Yes, he sent his assistant, Gérard Houllier, to inquire but the only country I had ever dreamed of representing was England. Besides, they obviously hadn't done their homework very well because there have been no French relations in our family for ages so I wouldn't have qualified for them anyway."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/aug/28/matt-le-tissier-small-talk

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 22, 2013, 08:51:19 pm by Wellred »

Intriguing:

"Perhaps you should have played for France. Is it true that Michel Platini had earlier tried to convince you to declare for them?"
"Yes, he sent his assistant, Gérard Houllier, to inquire but the only country I had ever dreamed of representing was England. Besides, they obviously hadn't done their homework very well because there have been no French relations in our family for ages so I wouldn't have qualified for them anyway."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/aug/28/matt-le-tissier-small-talk

Oh dear R-O-T add Reading to History and Geography :-)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 22, 2013, 09:38:26 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Lesson over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

Sorry if this has been put up before - it is absolutely brilliant (and there is a similar one about Holland/The Netherlands)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

Sorry Couldn't resist
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:45:40 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 22, 2013, 09:52:12 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Les Tissier has just got that french look about him. Take a closer look at him and tell me I'm not right. He also writes in his autobiography how he abandoned the UK spiritually once he was snubbed by Hoddle. He now spends most of his time down in his holiday home in Provence.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 22, 2013, 10:07:56 pm by Herman Hessian »

It's amazing how people take things out of context on forums. As someone who is currently abroad in a developing country, I'm genuinely interested to know why you find it offensive or why it would offend you? Genuinely.

The title of this thread is taken from the lyrics of a famous (well famous amongst clash fans) clash song called "straight to hell" which was an ironic/satirical look/critique of the way immigrants are/were treated in British society. The thread was started (almost ironically you might say) as a look at the mixed fortunes of foreign players in the premiership (and how different characters had engrosses themselves to the British public or media). It said nothing about substantive issues of migration to or from this country or made no political statements thereafter.

good answer

;)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 22, 2013, 11:22:05 pm by wilts rover »

Was thinking about foreign players who came to England ...... wern't welcome for one reason or another

Having picked you up as a 'bulls***g lier on another thread recently, I am sorry but that is far too close to being racist for my liking. They aren't bad signings, bad players - they 'weren't welcome', Joe Strummer would be proud of you.
Good luck with your philanthropic humanitarian gestures btw - or are you drilling for oil?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 23, 2013, 12:31:26 am by BobG »
I didn't see it as racist Wilts. Some foreign players get taken to our hearts. Some don't. I read it as an enquiry about who and why - and that's legitimate.

Brian: cracking clips. I never knew before that the Netherlands and France share a border, or that there are Europeans born, raised and forever domiciled in the Caribbean, or that there are 3 Dutch cities, (with full voting rights and so on!)  in the Caribbean either!

Whew.

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 23, 2013, 03:27:44 pm by graingrover »
don't bring Reading into it .. they've got enough problems.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 23, 2013, 04:35:26 pm by streatham dave »
I can see how some people might take the OP in a less than sympaphetic manner. It didn't come across well to me either. This said I believe that it wasn't intended as racist given the subsequent response. Anyway, with regards to Le Tiss (who should have had far far more than those 9 caps by the way) I was under the impression that a treaty/law allowed someone born in Guernsey or a Guernsey parent/Grandparent could represent any part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and could also represent France meaning he would have been eligable for France. My daughters Grandpa was born in Guernsey and if either show any sporting talent would like tothink what I have mentioned above is true. It would also give them a chance of representing Guernsey in the Commonwealth games.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012