Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 02:36:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How are we meant to compete?  (Read 3943 times)

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
How are we meant to compete?
« on August 15, 2013, 09:39:08 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
You've got Watford signing 7/8 players from Italy (majority Udinese), they have also signed a player from Granada, which is their 'sister' club!

QPR, according to Sky Sources have had a bid for Scott Parker accepted, and they are also interested in signing Jermain Defoe!

Wigan, fair enough they won the FA Cup, but they've signed Grant Holt for £2million!

:sick: :facepalm: :thumbdown:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Beast

• Forum Member
Re: How are we meant to compete?
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2013, 10:02:16 am by The Beast »
Give me Richie Wellens over Scott Parker any day, headless chicken!

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2013, 10:15:32 am by philsky »

Isn't this just the wonder of football though.

We are a modest club in every respect and probably have a decent enough ambition and hopefully it is 100% realistic.

We have periods in the sunshine from time to time and we'll enjoy them much more than the big clubs where expectations are often completely unrealistic.

This season looks monster difficult to me (harder than our last stay in the division) but that won't stop the big clubs and the fans of the big club worrying that they might get turned over by us. It'll taste so sweet when it happens - many of us remember Derby away the first time round.

Staying up will be a major achievement.

#RTID

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2013, 10:22:46 am by sha66y »
how are we supposed to compete??
well we have 11 players deemed good enough for this team for starters, we probably have better team spirit than the "in it for themselves" prima donnas, .... have any of these Udinese players ever played in the North of England on a cold rainy tuesday night ?, as Jermaine Defoe been introduced to Rob ones yet?
teams dont play on paper, ..thats why Man City, Arsenal and lets not forget Aston Villa,...expected to beat the likes of Donny
if we compete and do the right things , we stand as much chance as anybody in this league, and dont forget we have players who have potential.......... were just waiting for it to show itself ..... lol

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 15, 2013, 10:54:06 am by Boomstick »
Defoe would rip rob jones a new one, hate to say it but he would.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 15, 2013, 11:00:54 am by mrfrostsdad »
We can't compete, simple as.
Sha66y, I take it you were joking when you said we have as much chance as anybody in this league? I hope you were anyway!
And Defoe has never met Rob Jones? Oh I bet he's quaking in his boots!! Bet he can't wait!
And Richie Wellens as good as Scott Parker? I like Richie and he's a good footballer at this level, but he's never been in the same class as Parker

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2013, 11:14:12 am by Glyn_Wigley »
With the World Cup next year, do you really think Defoe would want to drop out of the Premiership this year?

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2013, 12:57:10 pm by mrfrostsdad »
The average footballer would #### his own granny for the right amount of money

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 15, 2013, 01:03:08 pm by podrover73 »
Defoe would rip rob jones a new one, hate to say it but he would.
Another negative from Boomstick -thats three in a day so far and I have not gone through all messages yet

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2013, 01:03:24 pm by vaya »

Too true. Wayne Rooney did someone else's for nothing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2013, 01:07:14 pm by dickos1 »
Thing is we're not competing against those clubs mentioned, were competing against sides to stay up. Anything we get against qpr, Wigan etc will be a bonus

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2013, 01:11:18 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Thing is we're not competing against those clubs mentioned, were competing against sides to stay up. Anything we get against qpr, Wigan etc will be a bonus

Yeah, I know what you're saying, that's on the pitch though. Off-pitch is a completley different story.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2013, 01:14:53 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I suppose we ought to accept relegation now then and give up without a fight? You can have as many big names as you want it's teams that win things, look at Wolves and Crystal Palace last season.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2013, 01:23:54 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I suppose we ought to accept relegation now then and give up without a fight? You can have as many big names as you want it's teams that win things, look at Wolves and Crystal Palace last season.

Not a dig at DRFC, I'm just getting at, you can have an awful season in the PL and get relegated to the same league as a team like us who had an amazing season and still be able to affford International players.

woodyrovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2013, 01:49:28 pm by woodyrovers »
It is no surprise that this is a tough league because the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is a big one. There are plenty of teams however who have spent big like Leicester who have failed to get to the premiership. There are others who have loaned into the club lots of 'good players' but have also not made it. I recall a game against QPR a few seasons ago in the Championship at the Keepmoat, where their team was full of loan signings who started brightly but when it did not go their way their heads soon went down. So much of success at football is due to team spirit and how much you feel for the club, not all footballers are 'journeymen'. There is a lot going for Donny which is why I am looking forward to this season whatever happens.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2013, 01:51:06 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
It is no surprise that this is a tough league because the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is a big one. There are plenty of teams however who have spent big like Leicester who have failed to get to the premiership. There are others who have loaned into the club lots of 'good players' but have also not made it. I recall a game against QPR a few seasons ago in the Championship at the Keepmoat, where their team was full of loan signings who started brightly but when it did not go their way their heads soon went down. So much of success at football is due to team spirit and how much you feel for the club, not all footballers are 'journeymen'. There is a lot going for Donny which is why I am looking forward to this season whatever happens.

Was that the game where we passed the ball like 42 times in a row before scoring, and when Billy scored he did that bench press celebration with the corner flag?

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2013, 01:51:29 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Actually,
I don't think Broomstick's post was that negative, just a tad realistic

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2013, 02:19:35 pm by Nudga »

Was that the game where we passed the ball like 42 times in a row before scoring, and when Billy scored he did that bench press celebration with the corner flag?

No, we actually passed the ball around in our own half and across the half way line and when the ball got up to Billy Sharp he got crunched. Never understood the spunk fest about that.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2013, 02:22:15 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Actually,
I don't think Broomstick's post was that negative, just a tad realistic

Lol  :whistle:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2013, 02:34:24 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
thats why we need investment otherwise down by xmas.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2013, 02:40:38 pm by RobTheRover »

Not a dig at DRFC, I'm just getting at, you can have an awful season in the PL and get relegated to the same league as a team like us who had an amazing season and still be able to affford International players.

Welcome to the Championship, my friend.  The most un-level playing field in football since those on Old Road at Conisbrough.

Malc Morling

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2013, 02:51:07 pm by Malc Morling »
 :scarf:For god's sake i've surported rovers since '68 Never thought we'd get bk in the championship again in my lifetime but we are investment or not get behind the lads & get your m8's down 2 a game or two the younger the better WE NEED A BIGGER FAN BASE untill we get one we will always be little donny SO I SAY 2 EVERY ROVERS FAN GET SOME ONE DIFFERENT DOWN  too EVERY HOME GAME LETS BUILD ON OUR FAN BASE

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2013, 03:10:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »
thats why we need investment otherwise down by xmas.

Loving the positive vibes, why don't you go down Cantley and tell the lads there's no point bothering because your not good enough.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012