Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:15:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sharp or Robinson?  (Read 2709 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Sharp or Robinson?
« on August 15, 2013, 02:31:47 pm by Red Rover »
Lets face it, signing a 24 year old pacey Theo Robinson for 2 years is better than spending that £150k on Billy Sharp for 3 months surely? Time to look to the future  :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Sharp or Robinson?
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2013, 02:34:17 pm by Dare to dream! »
Agree

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2013, 02:45:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Also agree. Live within our means I say.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2013, 02:52:54 pm by RobTheRover »
Billy was a legend for us, and he will always have a special place in our hearts, but Theo is the "here and now" and his Rovers adventure is just beginning.

I hope (in the nicest possible way) he ends up a bigger hero than Billy.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 15, 2013, 02:54:15 pm by whisky »
Agreed. And he's our player so if he scores goals at least if he leaves we will get a fee. Rather than us just helping another club sell one of their players.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 15, 2013, 02:55:31 pm by Nudga »
With all due respect Rob, I don't think BS is a DRFC legend. Cult hero yes, but legend no.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2013, 02:56:33 pm by newyankee »
 As I see it, Billy WAS a hero, however, times change. What if he came back on big money and didn't hack it? All the moaners would be on here saying we through money a way, we made a mistake etc, etc.

It seems to me that  no matter what happens, some will like it, some will not and most will just accept whatever comes along. In the end, unless you are puttting in the money, and not always then, can you decide what happens, everything else is conjecture.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2013, 02:57:28 pm by RobTheRover »
All subjective I know, Nudga, but he's a legend to me.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 15, 2013, 03:18:43 pm by Dutch Uncle »
All subjective I know, Nudga, but he's a legend to me.

Billy is third in the club's all time leading scorers in league Tier 2, the highest level ever played by the club. He is behind only Bert Tindill and Kit Lawlor, and he has a far better scoring rate than either of those two. That's enough to make him a legend in my eyes even before other factors like the goal against Middlesboro....

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2013, 03:21:50 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I think in years to come he will be spoken in the same breath as Alick, Kitch the Snods which makes him a legend but now we have to concentrate on supporting a player and giving him the confidence to become a legend himself, over to you Dustin, I mean Theo.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2013, 03:22:09 pm by Nudga »
Fair point Dutch, but where is he in the all time goalscorers record, that's the list I would be more inclined to look at.

CraigyBoy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2013, 03:37:00 pm by CraigyBoy »
It's a no brained for me. Theo is the best use of money in this situation and I'd argue he may well do better than sharp would have done if he returned. Theo is younger, faster, and is out to impress. Sharp is teetering on no mans land stuck on the bench and being found out at the top level. Theo has it all to prove, sharp has it all to try and get back. Good luck to theo, I think he'll end up doing well for us.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2013, 03:44:12 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Fair point Dutch, but where is he in the all time goalscorers record, that's the list I would be more inclined to look at.

24th or 25th depending on whether you look at league goals only, or all competitions. He is behind players like Bert Tindill and Colin Douglas who played more than 400 games for the club as opposed to Billy's 86. But Billy is 9th in the list of all time leading strike rates for players scoring more than 30 goals.

If Laurie Sheffield is rightly held to be a legend with 48 goals in 85 games then IMHO Billy has just as much claim with 41 in 86, all at a higher level than Laurie.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2013, 06:48:12 pm by LincsRover »
Back to the question - Sharp or Robinson?

Theo is ours, Billy isn't - simples!

Come on Theo & score some goals for Rovers!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 16, 2013, 09:05:00 am by southwestexile »
With all due respect Rob, I don't think BS is a DRFC legend. Cult hero yes, but legend no.

Agreed. Despite all the popular advice for Billy not to be a hero, it is exactly what he turned out to be

TinyPortal © 2005-2012