Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:28:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: among all the stories of greedy and selfish footballers  (Read 2680 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
among all the stories of greedy and selfish footballers
« on September 24, 2013, 03:39:51 pm by wilts rover »
Not particularly Rovers related, well not anyway Rovers related but I thought those who had not seen it might appreciate this article on the attitude and character of the modern footballer

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2013/09/23/wolves-leigh-griffiths-makes-amends-as-shot-strikes-pensioner/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jenny

• VSC Member
Re: among all the stories of greedy and selfish footballers
« Reply #1 on September 24, 2013, 03:42:07 pm by Jenny »
There was a similar story when a free kick from Ronaldo (I think). ended up breaking a young Bournemouth fans wrist in the lucrative pre season game. They aren't all bad.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 24, 2013, 04:20:29 pm by RobTheRover »
Geoff Mortimer?  That's clearly Danny Bergara, so you see it IS Rovers related.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 24, 2013, 04:33:03 pm by RedJ »
I know with the amount he earns you really should hope for it, but Drogba does a lot of work for charitable causes too.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 24, 2013, 06:47:02 pm by graingrover »
Thnx Wilts .. cheered me up .. then I thought .. Eddie McMorran did that to me once but I never got his shirt . case now time barred lol

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 24, 2013, 06:55:55 pm by RobTheRover »
I remember Eddie Gormley hitting some youngster stood with his Dad on the Town End before a game v Barnet in the early 90s, and then hurdling the wall to give him a cuddle.

Mr Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 24, 2013, 07:25:41 pm by Mr Rover »
Something similar happened last season, but with a twist. Our players were warming up with shooting practice. A stray shot hit a young lad. Before the players left the field, Sully gave the lad his shirt. Great gesture, but whoever took the shoot should have offered the same!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 24, 2013, 09:30:18 pm by BobG »
Didn't Geoff Hurst who broke someone's arm once? And that Henman character once bought a ball girl at Wimbledon a bunch of flowers cos he smacked a tennis ball into her sensitive bits while he was having a tantrum about a call or something when he wor a young lad.

BobG

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 25, 2013, 11:08:38 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Matty cauldwell once kicked the smile off my 8 year old face in the warm up away at Scarborough, I remember him telling me I could keep the ball he hit me with for me to say thanks but no thanks because then they wouldn't have one to play with! Wish I'd of took it now!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 26, 2013, 07:31:09 am by Dagenham Rover »
I had my glasses smashed and face cut open the other season in the warm up at the KMS, the club were great, paid for my glasses,  2 of us for a meal in the East Stand before the next home game, even got a mention in JR's column in the programme,

They couldn't do enough for me, at the end its a risk you take going to football there's always the possibility you could get hit with the ball, and as far as I'm concerned the club didn't need to do anything.

But all these stories go to prove that all is not bad at football

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 26, 2013, 08:39:11 am by nice one rovers »
I had my glasses smashed and face cut open the other season in the warm up at the KMS, the club were great, paid for my glasses,  2 of us for a meal in the East Stand before the next home game, even got a mention in JR's column in the programme,

They couldn't do enough for me, at the end its a risk you take going to football there's always the possibility you could get hit with the ball, and as far as I'm concerned the club didn't need to do anything.

Good to hear your story mate 'cause rumour was that you'd lost an eye!. Mind you,some of the football that year would have looked better with an eye shut.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 26, 2013, 08:48:08 am by Filo »

I vaguely remember that, John Oster wasn't it? How unlucky is that, being hit in the smiler by a John Oster shot? He must have had about 4 shots in his whole career at Rovers!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 26, 2013, 08:57:58 am by The Red Baron »
If it was John Oster then at least you have the consolation of knowing he wasn't aiming at you!  ;)

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 26, 2013, 09:06:21 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
I remember Tiverton away in the FA Cup. The terrace was so close to the net, Mickey Walker and Stuart Jones were belted balls into the net when people were reading programmes.

Good fun.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 26, 2013, 09:13:30 am by Dagenham Rover »

I vaguely remember that, John Oster wasn't it? How unlucky is that, being hit in the smiler by a John Oster shot? He must have had about 4 shots in his whole career at Rovers!

Tbh I didn't know what day of the week it was when it hit me there weren't half some boot behind it, but I think it was John Oster.

I think another bloke got hit on the knee the same day, not normally a problem but he'd just had an operation on it or something

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 26, 2013, 09:52:43 am by niteowler »
I am surprised that there are not as many people hurt when you see a cricket ball smashed for six into packed grandstands. If you copped for one of these corkies at the side of your temple when you were turned the other way, it would certainly cause you a headache!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012