Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:13:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best away Day?  (Read 5245 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Best away Day?
« Reply #30 on September 30, 2013, 07:15:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Rob

I was modelling myself more on Stuart Hall.

Errr. No. On second thoughts, I'll retract that.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 28, 2024, 02:50:27 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I used to enjoy those away trips that took absolutely hours to get to. Either by car, coach or train!! I recall going down to Torquay one year in the early 80's. I'm sure that the game was an evening kick off on a Saturday? We left Donny in the wee small hours crammed into an MOT failure car. Various stop off at service stations, meeting up with like minded fans from all over the country. Made good progress to Torquay, a few drinks, great fish and chip and then settle down on the terraces to see us lose!! Long journey home, stopping at a few 'half way houses' pleading with the driver to stop off for a toilet break and eventually getting home as dawn was coming up on the following day! Smashing days!!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 28, 2024, 04:51:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
That away play-off semi final at Chester takes some beating. God, I was absolutely spent after that rollercoaster! No idea how the players must have felt.

The following season’s trip to Boston was memorable, also. (Your father is your brother……..etc. Classic)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 28, 2024, 05:26:28 pm by adamtherover »
Grimsby is pretty cool, a stroll along the seafront followed up with 3pts lol

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 28, 2024, 05:33:47 pm by philsky »
Best away days:

Chester
Mansfield
Brentford
West Ham
Derby
Leeds

Ignoring Wembley and Cardiff and Stoke

They were fab years

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on March 28, 2024, 05:40:47 pm by Prez »
Scunny for the 3 points. Scarborough used to be a good day out. Always like Peterborough as well, loved the away end there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 07:48:34 pm by Prez »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 28, 2024, 05:46:11 pm by mushRTID »
Still nothing has beat West Ham for me. What a f**king day!!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 28, 2024, 06:23:56 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Charlton in the play offs. I’ll take the memories of celebrating Andy Butlers goal to the grave.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 28, 2024, 06:26:05 pm by Campsall rover »
That away play-off semi final at Chester takes some beating. God, I was absolutely spent after that rollercoaster! No idea how the players must have felt.

The following season’s trip to Boston was memorable, also. (Your father is your brother……..etc. Classic)
That game at Chester was the most nerve racking I have ever been to.
I really thought I was going to have a heart attack during that penalty shoot out.
My blood pressure must have gone sky high.
Never want to get so worked up at a football match again. That was awful. Did not enjoy that game one bit.
The only enjoyment was when we had got through it and were safely in the final.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 28, 2024, 06:30:10 pm by Nudga »

I really thought I was going to have a heart attack during that penalty shoot out.
Never want to get so worked up at a football match again. That was awful. Did not enjoy that game one bit.

Amazing match, it had everything. Remember seeing loads of their boozers absolutely rammed with donny fans.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 28, 2024, 06:58:30 pm by Bessie Red »
York, Lincoln, Scunny were always good away days but nothing beats Brentford!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 28, 2024, 07:21:31 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
York, Lincoln, Scunny were always good away days but nothing beats Brentford!

Lincoln is a great shout! Had some memorable days out there with the Rovers but it could be a bit dodgy at times!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 28, 2024, 07:26:20 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Still nothing has beat West Ham for me. What a f**king day!!

Now that was a cracking day out. I took a couple of mates into a pub on Barking Road that was full of Rovers fans. They were amazed at our support. We made loads of noise in the ground too. I was proud to be a Rovers fan that day.

EpsTheMightyReds

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 28, 2024, 07:47:04 pm by EpsTheMightyReds »
Barnsley for me. Wife’s family are from Bolton on Dearne and they’re all Barnsley fans. Used to meet up for fish and chips at B.O.D and then onto the game. Remember queueing on Barnsley road for ages for a night match when we took around 5k. Great people and happy memories

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 28, 2024, 07:48:19 pm by Fal »
Swansea at the vetch and first game at the liberty were both fun.

I enjoyed Yeovil, went on my own on a Tuesday night and ravenhill got the winner.

Mansfield has always been entertaining, my dad celebrating in the home end after we were going nuts when blundell scored the second.(he worked in Mansfield). Second time I went I got thrown out by the stewards and the police after flagging the goalkeeper off to his face when he came behind the goal after taking out heffs. Then had 6000 Mansfield fans singing bye bye bye bye to me, but still saw Stocks last minute equaliser when our fans poured onto the pitch.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 28, 2024, 08:16:25 pm by RoversInSpain »
Torquay (like playing in Europe), Brentford (4 boozers)and Swansea (Vetch), yes that night match Jenny
But the winner …The old Spotland in the 70’s was a real mucky up ground. Couldn’t get in as they didn’t have change for a five pound note, had to wait for supporters to go in before finally gathering enough change, about £3.80
Thought this is very Mickey Mouse… until we got battered 3-1, think Ted Hemsley scored, to put us one up, then we fell apart, though,before the ground did to be fair.  Division 4 at it’s worst… lovely stuff

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on March 28, 2024, 09:26:51 pm by Herman Hessian »
have had a couple of great trips to Peterborough on the old terrace - the 1-0 midweek win in 97/98 was fantastic, and back there a few seasons later with the place packed to the rafters - both brilliant in their own way; always enjoyed scarborough too - usually in spite of the scoreline - and darlo and hartlepool too

if I had to pick one, though - bloody hell - maybe that win at oakwell in the fog in 2004 - beyond mental in the away end - nothing better than absolutely slaughtering local rivals on their own midden...  :cool:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 28, 2024, 09:32:00 pm by drfchound »
Charlton in the play offs. I’ll take the memories of celebrating Andy Butlers goal to the grave.

There have been so many great away days but despite losing on pens the Charlton game is right up there as one of the best.
That Butler goal and the aftermath was amazing and when Marquis headed in that third goal I had an out of body experience.
The only time I have ever felt like that at a football match.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 28, 2024, 10:02:03 pm by tommy toes »

Same here, crammed in behind the goal. It was boiling. I was having a panic attack during the penalties. Had to borrow my mates ventolin to get me through it.
Torture!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 28, 2024, 10:30:30 pm by idler »
I was on an early shift in Leeds for the Chester match. Dashed home after work to watch it with my late sone. He was desolate after we went one down. I said that there was a long way to go despite fearing the worst. The game was torture but a sublime ending. I always felt that we would beat Dagenham even at 2-2.
My son couldn’t watch the last bit and was down in the bar when we scored the winner. What a day.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 28, 2024, 10:31:57 pm by Batleyred »
My memory of Chester, the great escape and a Chester lad getting lobbed in the canal. Great day out  :scarf:

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 28, 2024, 10:34:17 pm by karldew »

There have been so many great away days but despite losing on pens the Charlton game is right up there as one of the best.
That Butler goal and the aftermath was amazing and when Marquis headed in that third goal I had an out of body experience.

Still gets me that police advised the penalties to be taken at the other end to us. Not sure if it’s ever been decided that way in any other match before or always been the coin toss.

The Butler chant though was class!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 28, 2024, 10:35:51 pm by Nudga »
I was on an early shift in Leeds for the Chester match. Dashed home after work to watch it with my late sone. He was desolate after we went one down. I said that there was a long way to go despite fearing the worst. The game was torture but a sublime ending. I always felt that we would beat Dagenham even at 2-2.
My son couldn’t watch the last bit and was down in the bar when we scored the winner. What a day.

I don't actually remember much about the game apart from some worldy saves by Andy Warrington. My time was spent singing to the point of my vocal chords bursting out of my eye sockets.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on March 28, 2024, 10:45:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Absolutely.  What a game it was.  Some.great shouts in this thread but that was the best for me.  Atmosphere from our fans was outstanding that night.

Some outstanding wins and performances in the championship years too. The boxing day win at forest was a huge turning point for us that year and a great win.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 28, 2024, 10:55:14 pm by idler »
I was on a cruise to Norway when we played Charlton. Intermittent WiFi meant a nightmare and I got back my cabin as the penalty shoot out took place. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it until the final score came through. What a sickener. My late son texted me to say how proud he was of the team that night.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 28, 2024, 10:59:47 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
My memory of Chester, the great escape and a Chester lad getting lobbed in the canal. Great day out  :scarf:

That day was absolute torture. I remember Andy Warrington pulling off a point blank save from Daryl Clare just after half time that literally would have killed me off if it’d gone in.

Walking miles back to the car wasn’t fun either. On more than one occasion we had to ‘persuade’ the Chester fans to let us pass down the street.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 28, 2024, 11:03:32 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Another that comes to mind is when we played Rochdale away & Dave ‘Bruno’ Jones scored a hat trick on what was (I think) his debut. The terrace behind the goal was absolutely rocking. Think we won 0-3.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on March 28, 2024, 11:28:07 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I was on a cruise to Norway when we played Charlton. Intermittent WiFi meant a nightmare and I got back my cabin as the penalty shoot out took place. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it until the final score came through. What a sickener. My late son texted me to say how proud he was of the team that night.

Some pleasant memories to coincide with your young’en Idler which is nice.

Seeing all the away end with our arms swaying in the air will live long in the memory.

Also vividly remember seeing Tommy hit it and soon as he struck it I thought ‘goal’.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 29, 2024, 12:51:12 am by Bessie Red »
Another that comes to mind is when we played Rochdale away & Dave ‘Bruno’ Jones scored a hat trick on what was (I think) his debut. The terrace behind the goal was absolutely rocking. Think we won 0-3.
That was a great day Herbert, the same game that Paul Chrichton saved the same penalty 3 times!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 29, 2024, 12:59:55 am by Bessie Red »
Halifax Town away on Boxing Day 1992 was a good one. We were trailing 2-0 right up to nearly 90mins then Centre Half Steve Richards scored a brace in injury time to secure a 2-2 draw, scenes in the away end!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012