Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:34:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: expectations  (Read 2747 times)

keith79

• Forum Member
expectations
« on December 21, 2013, 06:23:09 pm by keith79 »
What should we be expecting from this season with regards to league placing? I thought 15 or higher. Are we now expecting to go down

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: expectations
« Reply #1 on December 21, 2013, 06:28:10 pm by River Don »
I thought this season would always be a battle to stay up.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 21, 2013, 06:32:47 pm by GazLaz »
I think they are great.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 21, 2013, 06:34:09 pm by PDX_Rover »
I think we will stay up. Let's see what Santa brings us.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 21, 2013, 06:39:04 pm by DRNaith »
I felt that staying up this season would be a good success for PD this season.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 21, 2013, 07:00:29 pm by Boomstick »
What should we be expecting from this season with regards to league placing? I thought 15 or higher. Are we now expecting to go down
Who knows, we're still waiting an official statement from TB as to what his ambition are.
I suspect he wouldn't care less if we were relegated however.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 21, 2013, 07:34:37 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I have to say I am also very disappointed that having turned down the offer of the SC takeover, TB has failed to tell us his 'exciting vision' for the future and what the 'unfinished business' is.

I am however, prepared to give him the chance of putting things right in the January window. If we don't bring in some players who are capable of playing in this division, and extend Wellens and Turnbull's contracts I'm afraid we will go down and TB will deserve whatever criticism anyone wants to throw at him

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 21, 2013, 07:36:39 pm by GazLaz »
TB wants us to be a self sufficient club.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 21, 2013, 07:37:54 pm by MrWoodySir »
TB wants us to be a self sufficient club.
Does that mean yo-yoing between the Championship and League One, or even worse?  :suicide:

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 21, 2013, 07:39:01 pm by DRFCBRADFORD »
mrfrostsdad u are exactly right and u broomstick

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 21, 2013, 09:58:58 pm by The Red Baron »
I said before the season we'd finish 18th but I'd be happy with 21st.

We're still on course for something in that area. Fact is, unless we get bigger crowds we're going to find competing at this level difficult.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 21, 2013, 10:24:02 pm by steve@dcfd »

We're still on course for something in that area. Fact is, unless we get bigger crowds we're going to find competing at this level difficult.

If we get relegated this season will that improve the crowds, it did not before and even finishing as champions but playing poor football at home as not improved the crowds.
So being a yo yo club with lack of sufficient investment to compete in the championship will not improve the crowds.

Yet again, the club made statement
 “They are excited about the future of Doncaster Rovers and helping the club to realise some of its unfulfilled aims. The current owners have a clear and exciting vision for the club which they are keen to deliver".

So can the CEO or TB or DW tell the supporters what this statement means.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:27:38 pm by steve@dcfd »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 21, 2013, 10:59:00 pm by drfc1951 »
My expectations are the players go out and play to the best of their ability.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 21, 2013, 11:01:35 pm by bedale rover »
Unfortunately putting a bag of gold on each seatbwont improve the gates!

During the first half of the 2008/09 season (our first in the championship for 50 years) we were bottom at Christmas and someone posted on here that they felt cheated that they (several friends) had bought season tickets and we were losing! They seemed to believe that the ticket entitled them to see winning football!
When you are faced  with that mentality are you surprised that we have poor crowds!

I don't know about full of Leeds fans Donny is full of fairweather fans!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 22, 2013, 08:31:22 am by The Red Baron »

If we get relegated this season will that improve the crowds, it did not before and even finishing as champions but playing poor football at home as not improved the crowds.
So being a yo yo club with lack of sufficient investment to compete in the championship will not improve the crowds.

Yet again, the club made statement
 “They are excited about the future of Doncaster Rovers and helping the club to realise some of its unfulfilled aims. The current owners have a clear and exciting vision for the club which they are keen to deliver".

So can the CEO or TB or DW tell the supporters what this statement means.

Steve- I probably didn't make my point about gates very well. We have already gone down the route of putting in investment in the hope that a better standard of football would lead to better attendances. It did to a point but thereafter the crowds tailed off. Maybe with a smarter CEO than we had at the time the club might have worked harder to keep its new customers, but even that may not have worked.

Perhaps we have to accept that we don't have the fanbase to sustain Championship football for any more than a limited time and enjoy the ride- however bumpy it may be- when we do get there.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 22, 2013, 09:10:36 am by River Don »
TRB

I tend to agree, I think the Championship is the ceiling for the Rovers whilst ever we attract crowds of the size we do. With good management and be a bit of magic in the transfer market, I think we can hang on in there but we shouldn't be surprised if sometimes it doesn't work out.

What the Rovers really need, if we hope to see the club progress, is for BMW to set up a new car plant alongside the M18, and for Hitachi to start manufacturing trains and to see a whole load of new business and people drawn into the town...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 22, 2013, 09:23:00 am by selby »
We have kept 3000 new customers crowds were down to 1500 its a long process .
  In the same period the MASSIVE clubs in Yorkshire must have LOST 10000 bums on seats only us Rotherham and Hull have increased support over the last 10 years and are playing at a higher standard and it shows in the crowds.
  We started at the lowest level and are doing OK if you put things into perspective and unlike Leeds Sheff u and the Wendies have done it without shafting creditors for over 110 million having premiership payments or spending West hams hard earned millions and parachute payments while tumbling down the leagues

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 22, 2013, 10:46:41 am by goalkick »
Good comment Selby.some of our fans are fickle will pick their games to attend.at the moment we are at our peak with regulars.because of the Richardson era will take another generation for us to improve attendances.hope we stop up for the regular fans sake. :thumbsup:

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 22, 2013, 11:04:21 am by normal rules »
back to the topic, 4th bottom was always a realistic expectation for this season. anything better is a bonus.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012