Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:24:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why Does No One Ask....  (Read 3117 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Why Does No One Ask....
« on January 05, 2014, 12:38:31 pm by BobG »
why we have had 3 or 4 years of the horrendous injury lists?

Maybe we are not atypical. Perhaps somebody knows? But my impression, and that of just about everyone on here is that we are suffering from something out of the ordinary. Why? It's obvious now that the previous perceived wisdom that it was down to the training methods of SOD and Co was totally wrong. So what is it that causes us all this grief?

I refuse to believe it's simply bad luck. Luck evens itself out every time. What we are suffering from has gone on way too long for it to be that.

BobG

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Why Does No One Ask....
« Reply #1 on January 05, 2014, 12:40:43 pm by glosterred »
Did not the injury problem clear up a little when Mal Purchase(?) came in with Saunders, if so what was he doing that they are not doing now?

COYR

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 05, 2014, 12:41:36 pm by Filo »

Maybe we are not atypical. Perhaps somebody knows? But my impression, and that of just about everyone on here is that we are suffering from something out of the ordinary. Why? It's obvious now that the previous perceived wisdom that it was down to the training methods of SOD and Co was totally wrong. So what is it that causes us all this grief?

I refuse to believe it's simply bad luck. Luck evens itself out every time. What we are suffering from has gone on way too long for it to be that.

BobG

The treatment room was made redundant under Saunders and Mal Purchase, that points to me to be lack of conditioning in the players

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 05, 2014, 12:42:22 pm by dickos1 »
The pitch could be to blame, the players speak about how hard it is and how it effects their body.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 05, 2014, 12:43:19 pm by BobG »
Fair point Filo. I wonder if this has been thought about by the hierarchy? Putting right whatever is wrong would, to me, go a very long way indeed to sorting out our problems.

Is there anything the VSC could do to focus a bit of attention where it matters on the subject ?

BobG

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 05, 2014, 12:44:25 pm by Dare to dream! »
The pitch could be to blame, the players speak about how hard it is and how it effects their body.

I blame the pitch, i always hear players from our team and others slating how hard it is. Wellens did the other week and so did Byron Webster in a pre match interview.

DubaiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 05, 2014, 12:44:31 pm by DubaiRover »
You sure thats the pitch?

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 05, 2014, 12:45:49 pm by Belle_Vue »
We get alot in training too.

I always remember at belle vue we did quite well with injury prone players. I may be wrong but wasn't spike often injured before joining us? I know a few were

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 05, 2014, 12:46:12 pm by Filo »

I think the pitch is an easy excuse, the Dons play a much more physical game on the same pitch, possibly on a harder surface with it being summer, but they don't seem to have a horrendous injury list like us

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 05, 2014, 12:46:19 pm by silent majority »
But it was softened up at the start of last season, which was used as one of the reasons for our lack of injuries in that campaign.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 05, 2014, 12:50:27 pm by dickos1 »
The players still speak of how hard it is though sm

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 05, 2014, 01:06:57 pm by GazLaz »
The pitch is bad. It aggravates niggles. 

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 05, 2014, 01:26:18 pm by Beerseller »
Our pitch uses the Desso GrassMaster surface which is used by many other clubs including both Manchester clubs and both Liverpool clubs.   If the surface is the problem then I'd expect those other clubs to also have the same problem.

The "surface" has a reasonable depth if I recall the pictures from the resurfacing last summer so I wouldn't have thought anything lower would have an effect.   I'm no expert though and would appreciate any comments from those with better knowledge.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 05, 2014, 01:40:45 pm by BobG »
Of course, as Filo pointed out, we didn't have a problem while Mal Purchase was here. Perhaps Filo just proved the point that luck always balances out? Lol.

Something, somewhere, is wrong though - and it has been wrong for ages - except when Mal was here. So identify what he did that was different, and there ought to be a fighting chance of putting things right.

Bob

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 05, 2014, 01:43:58 pm by Filo »
You'd assume Mal is at a loose end at the moment with Saunders not being in management, perhaps he'd like to come in as fitness consultant?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 05, 2014, 01:45:00 pm by BobG »
Cool! Now that would likely be worth sacrificing one of these enticing signings for wouldn't it?

Bob
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:52:18 pm by BobG »

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 05, 2014, 01:47:59 pm by Al4475 »
Somebody put a really valid point on here last week I think about the fact that as we are a small club in this division and our players are not top drawer players in the league which means that they have to work much harder in a game to compete than they did in the division below.

There may be mileage in that - I know when we play on a Sunday or Monday night in the local six-a-side leagues we work much harder against the other better teams in the league than we do against the poorer ones.

We have to do that to get hold of the ball, keep it and be productive with it - I would imagine that our players being lesser players (and no disrespect meant here) struggle to keep up at this level, use more energy and therefore pickup and tweak injuries on a more numerous scale.

Our last really bad injury crisis happened at a similar time in the SO'D era midway through a season in which we were obviously battling against the odds.

We maybe didn't feel the injuries in the 'Experiment' due to the amount of players we were able to field or get hold of in emergencies through WM.

As some of the better players in the division below - it wasn't going to affect us much maybe?

That aside Mal Purchase obviously did a superb job too!   

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 05, 2014, 01:49:29 pm by Dagenham Rover »
You'd assume Mal is at a loose end at the moment with Saunders not being in management, perhaps he'd like to come in as fitness consultant?

Get him signed

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 05, 2014, 01:51:55 pm by BobG »
What a very good point A1! Hadn't thought of that. No idea if it's true, but it has the ring of credibility.

Bob

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 05, 2014, 02:19:26 pm by Standanista »
Mal Purchase sorted it out. They're getting injured because they're not fit enough.  Lazy players, bad coaching.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 05, 2014, 02:21:11 pm by swintonrover »
Where is Mal nowadays? We should get him back.

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 05, 2014, 02:39:49 pm by timdrfc »

BobG

We didn't under Dean Saunders & Mel purchase last season

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 05, 2014, 02:44:03 pm by BigH »
Good points made above which I agree with.

Also, there's something about the mentality of playing in a losing team. It's amazing how when everything's going well everyone wants to be there vying for a place rather than stringing it out on the treatment table. Think about last season; a thin squad but how many long term injuries did we have? Or did we just get lucky or was it because Mal Purchase took the team's conditioning to a whole new level.

We've also got one or two players that are getting on as well which never helps.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 05, 2014, 02:57:54 pm by elmsallrover »
Its all down to the type of player we sign look at brown had massive injury problems at Norwich and Preston yet we gave him a 2 year deal missed most of the contract injured yet we gave him a new one this summer the same with keegan and don't get me started on woods.if you sign injury prone players then you know you are only going to get 5/10 games a season out of them so why give them new contracts

Malc Morling

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 05, 2014, 03:28:37 pm by Malc Morling »
 Didn't we redevelop the pitches on cantley park a few seasons ago We play one and a half hours every two weeks at the K P How many hours per week do the players train at Cantley park. Also i seem to think the injuries started to mount up after the redevelopment at Cantley Park  :chair::

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 05, 2014, 03:38:36 pm by pib »
Its all down to the type of player we sign look at brown had massive injury problems at Norwich and Preston yet we gave him a 2 year deal missed most of the contract injured yet we gave him a new one this summer the same with keegan and don't get me started on woods.if you sign injury prone players then you know you are only going to get 5/10 games a season out of them so why give them new contracts

Brown played 42 games last season, and had a good run in the side at the back end of the season before once we'd got him fit.

I think that is one of a few examples you could use that suggest that Mal Purchase had a fair bit to do with our improved luck with injuries last season and the back end of the one before.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 05, 2014, 05:26:43 pm by Al4475 »
Also, there's something about the mentality of playing in a losing team. It's amazing how when everything's going well everyone wants to be there vying for a place rather than stringing it out on the treatment table.

This is also a very good point BigH.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 05, 2014, 07:00:28 pm by The Red Baron »
Man United are going through a horrendous run of injuries and some people are questioning the training methods used under Moyes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2533894/David-Moyes-refuses-blame-Manchester-United-injuries.html

I always suspected that we had a problem under SO'D because there was too much emphasis on ball-work and not enough on core fitness and conditioning. Without seeing the team train it is difficult to say, but it is noticeable that we still seem to pick up a lot of injuries in training- something we didn't under Saunders.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 05, 2014, 07:35:58 pm by PDX_Rover »
What is Mal doing now? No harm in consulting him....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012