Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:12:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Refs watching Games at HT  (Read 2192 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Refs watching Games at HT
« on January 11, 2014, 10:46:46 pm by Donnywolf »
Anybody know if Refs and Linos are "banned" from looking at Games they are currently officiating at Half Time ?

Just wondered because if a Ref for example did not award say a Penalty or even missed dishing out a Red Card to a Player in the first half and saw it at Half Time on Telly he could then be tempted to "even it out" later

I am not sure there are even any facilities available in their Changing Rooms but just wondered if they are actually prohibited from having them as well

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Refs watching Games at HT
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2014, 10:49:45 pm by RedJ »
And, if you don't mind me tagging this one on - is there a rule against linos giving the ball back to a player if, say, it's landed right by him yet the player is a fair way away and has to come collect it for a set piece? Always wondered since it's irritating watching him stand right next to the ball and still make the player come for it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2014, 10:55:59 pm by Donnywolf »

... AND while we are at it why did the Linos position have to be changed so they are now directly opposite where the Subs warm up and so have them in their line of Site when trying to decide on offsides etc

Previously the Subs were always behind the Lino

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 12, 2014, 08:21:35 am by 1879Rovers »
And, if you don't mind me tagging this one on - is there a rule against linos giving the ball back to a player if, say, it's landed right by him yet the player is a fair way away and has to come collect it for a set piece? Always wondered since it's irritating watching him stand right next to the ball and still make the player come for it.

I am a qualified referee. When I was doing my course this question popped up. The referee doing the course said that by passing the ball back to the player he is taking his eye off what is happening on the pitch. Maybe only for a split second I know, but there is the answer to your question.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 12, 2014, 08:23:28 am by RedJ »
Thanks for that. Something that's always bugged me.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 12, 2014, 08:34:02 am by 1879Rovers »
RedJ, like I say, I am a ref and there is a lot that bugs me about the laws of the game. My biggest bug bear is defenders shepherding the ball out. They can man handle the attacker but dare the attacker put his hands on the defender, it is a free-kick.

Got to be honest, whilst I use the vast majority of the laws of the game to officiate, I also referee with common sense.

Unfortunately, if you want to gain promotion, common sense refereeing is something we are not allowed to use.

We all go on about consistency in refereeing. Unfortunately that will never happen because you are taught the laws of the game and it is then up to you how you interpret those laws.

What was quite an eye-opener whilst I did my course was, although I had watched the game regularly for near on 30 years, I was shocked by just how much of the laws of the game I actually did not know.

I will never gain promotion from the level I am at because no assessor will ever mark me high enough because of my stance on the laws.

Whilst the assessors used to like to point out the errors of my way when I first started as I contemplated going through the levels, they no longer bother watching me because they know how I think.

I referee locally to me (Oxfordshire) and I am affiliated to the Bucks and Berks leagues and I like to think I have a great reputation with players and I never struggle for a game on the weekends.

Before every game, I tell it how it is, I will say what I will let go and what I won't. Been at it ten-years now and I can count the problems I have had with players on one hand.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 12, 2014, 09:20:46 am by Al4475 »
Another one for 1879.

When I did my initial courses 15 or so years ago - one of the things that bugged me a little and does so even more now because it happens all the time and always has. I am led to believe (and this is where I'd like clarification - simply to cure my curious mind) that the Goalie bouncing the ball is actually an offence!

When the ball has left the goalkeeper's hands and has gone to ground it is technically 'live' and should not be picked up again?

This should result in a free kick to the opposing team (indirect I believe)

Is this correct?

It all sounds very ridiculous but I am curious as I'm sure the first time a GK was pulled for this, it'd stop the bouncing of the ball and the inevitable time-wasting that goes with it. The first time a player nicked the ball of the goalkeeper mid bounce and popped it into the net would be a great thing to watch!

Another one that we were told about was a 'bounce-up' this doesn't have to occur between two players or even with one in attendance (like when a team decide to kick it back to the opposition goalie after a stoppage for injury.) The ref can basically bounce it where he likes as long as it's within a certain distance of where the stoppage was. So he could, as an example, drop it behind himself away from the players and make them move for it couldn't he?

Again sounds ridiculous but I'd bet it'd stop petty squabbling in and around the bounce-up area especially if two players involved in the incident were wanting to take the bounce up!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:26:25 am by Al4475 »

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 12, 2014, 09:22:26 am by Spud »
Great post 1879, totally agree re defenders shepherding the ball.
It also winds me up how the definition of a foul changes once it's inside the penalty area, and the stuff that goes on aoff the ball at corners.....
It's about time a lot more penalties were awarded imo to stamp out a lot of the nonsense.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 12, 2014, 09:27:01 am by Spud »
I'm sure the keeper bouncing a ball is classed as under his control, unless he loses control ie drops it then it's live. Down to the discretion of the ref though i suppose !

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 12, 2014, 09:29:54 am by GazLaz »
Keepers are allowed to bounce the ball, it's still classed as being under their control.

Shepherding the ball out has to be obstruction really.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2014, 09:39:00 am by Filo »
The 6 second rule for goalkeepers, what happened to that?

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 12, 2014, 10:29:22 am by Milepostuk »
I have seen, on several occasions, an attacking player dribbling the ball run into a defender who did not move into his way. A free-kick was then awarded (There was one on MOTD recently and the studio guys were adamant it was a free-kick). I don't see why this should be a stopage . Am I wrong?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2014, 02:43:12 pm by Donnywolf »
Anybody know if Refs and Linos are "banned" from looking at Games they are currently officiating at Half Time ?

Just wondered because if a Ref for example did not award say a Penalty or even missed dishing out a Red Card to a Player in the first half and saw it at Half Time on Telly he could then be tempted to "even it out" later

I am not sure there are even any facilities available in their Changing Rooms but just wondered if they are actually prohibited from having them as well

... now we have a few interested any thoughts on the above pls ?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2014, 03:26:45 pm by bobjimwilly »
The 6 second rule for goalkeepers, what happened to that?

Refs seem to ignore it don't they? I didn't realise they could pick and choose rules personally. Same with foul throws - hardly ever seen or acted upon by refs.

I don't have a problem with defenders shepherding balls out, but they've got to be within a certain distance from the ball I believe?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2014, 06:00:18 pm by PDX_Rover »
I see a new section. "You are the ref" with our resident refs answering questions. Think it would be great.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012