Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:15:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goals4Luey - Donating to the LJS Foundation - practicalities  (Read 3037 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Hi

Just donated my first £3 last night via Pay Pal on the Just Giving Site but have a couple of questions

Just Giving it seems take a 5% "cut" of the £3 thus diluting my contribution

Pay Pal I think will charge me a fee for handling the money (though that does not reduce the donation)

Then there is the matter of Gift Aid which can increase a persons Charitable donation so is that available for all the great pledges on the actual Thread itself ?

I believe this is a great initiative and someone out there smarter than me can probably advise the majority of us if we are maximising our efforts or how to do so

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: Goals4Luey - Donating to the LJS Foundation - practicalities
« Reply #1 on January 26, 2014, 10:46:51 am by jonnydog »
Agree.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 26, 2014, 10:49:51 am by silent majority »
We need to look at it. To be honest it was put together in a very short period of time to be able to get it it out there before his first game. Maybe we can improve on the mechanics of it now we have some time.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 26, 2014, 07:20:19 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Whatever changes are made, it would be good to have a site or page up where the running total is and where there is a simple one touch button to donate, becuase people will land there, be happy to add money and be put off it's in any way a hassle. ie paypal is a very viable option still.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 26, 2014, 08:13:57 pm by jonnydog »
Whatever changes are made, it would be good to have a site or page up where the running total is and where there is a simple one touch button to donate, becuase people will land there, be happy to add money and be put off it's in any way a hassle. ie paypal is a very viable option still.

Oooooh... Like that too, especially with the 'total raised so far' part.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 26, 2014, 08:18:27 pm by Muttley »
Example from the justgiving website of how it works (presumably you need to tick a gift aid option)

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 26, 2014, 08:19:55 pm by Jenny »
The problem with paypal is the fees - whilst justgiving take some fees from the donations, they pay regularly to the charity and they also do all the gift aid reclaim.

If people donated via the vsc paypal account it would make it much more difficult to claim the gift aid etc. This is why charities use justgiving, it is actually very cost effective for them to administer.

As Martin said, we wanted to strike whilst the iron was hot, there will be a few tweaks in the next few days.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 26, 2014, 08:20:19 pm by Jenny »
Mine and Mutdawgs post crossed there!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 26, 2014, 08:35:34 pm by jonnydog »
So to confirm, currently from my £3 donation, the LJS foundation will receive £3 or more?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 26, 2014, 08:40:40 pm by dknward2 »
So working from that is it better to give lots of little or one big

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 26, 2014, 09:43:59 pm by Jenny »
It doesn't matter, their fees are all based on percentages so if you make a big or small donations it all comes to the same figure.

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 26, 2014, 10:14:37 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Would it be better to donate by buying one of the foundations shirts or wristbands. By doing that we can spread awareness as well.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 26, 2014, 10:43:32 pm by Al4475 »
If it's possible I'd prefer to (with my donation) either pay straight via my card after every goal or group of a set amounts of goals (5 as an example) or simply wait till the season end - add up the total I owe and pay it diretct to LJS - is that a viable option? A phone number at the foundation available maybe?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 26, 2014, 10:46:39 pm by RedJ »
Text LJSF27 and then your amount, 70070 is the number.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 26, 2014, 10:47:08 pm by bobjimwilly »
Paying via our just giving page means the LJS Foundation gets at least what you donated, if not more through gift aid, and it will also count up how much we have raised through our campaign, so I would advise everyone to do it that way. We'll chase outstanding pledges at the end of the season and make sure everyone knows who owes what  ;)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 26, 2014, 11:24:40 pm by jonnydog »
£3 and rising

... Even though it WAS Cotterills goal

:thumbsup:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 26, 2014, 11:26:24 pm by RobTheRover »
Would it be better to donate by buying one of the foundations shirts or wristbands. By doing that we can spread awareness as well.

Good question Benny.

If you buy a wristband for £3 the LJSFoundation get £3 but you need to subtract their costs (say 50p for the wristband and 60p postage and packing), so their "profit" to go to the foundation would be around £1.90.

Give £5 to the Goals4Luey JustGiving page we've set up means they get £5, plus giftaid (your tax back from HMRC) less fees.  This will total more than the £5 you donated.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you showing your support and getting a wristband too.  :scarf:

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 26, 2014, 11:31:26 pm by jonnydog »
Besides, why would you want to wear 20+ wristbands ;)

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 27, 2014, 12:26:14 am by Jenny »
Text LJSF27 and then your amount, 70070 is the number.

Or you can text LJSV50 to the same number and it is then included in the Goals4Luey tally - obviously makes no difference to them but helps us keep a track of what is raised.

In terms of paying directly to the foundation, again, they'd probably point you in the direction of the justgiving page as it means that they have less administrative burden and get the amount of the donation plus some of the gift aid.

There is a reason why loads of charities use justgiving despite fees and that is because it's so simple and saves them a lot of burden.

For those trying to decide when to donate In terms of after every goal etc, justgiving regularly pay to the charities so I guess paying after every goal means they get money quicker and possibly then earn interest on that amount.

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 27, 2014, 02:00:04 am by drfcbenny625 »
Ok. So if he scores more than 3 I will get a wristband and the rest I will donate via the just giving page. If he is top scorer I will donate some of my bet winnings as well. The amount from the bet will determine on how skint I am at the end of the season lol

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 27, 2014, 01:54:15 pm by Jenny »
So to confirm, currently from my £3 donation, the LJS foundation will receive £3 or more?
This depends on whether justgiving is able to reclaim giftaid from your donation, if they aren't, then the 5% fee is deducted from the donation itself rather than the gift aid.

Virgin Money Giving take a 2% fee of donations, along with a card processing fee, much the same as justgiving, but LJS Foundation aren't registered on there at the minute.

I think in terms of maximising the cash that is giving to LJS Foundation the following are the best options:

Non tax payers (no reclaim of gift aid) - have a cash collection (bank transfers) and money handed to LJS Foundation at the end of the season.

Tax payers - Justgiving as the amount given to LJS Foundation will still be higher than the actual donation itself. This means that the charity doesn't have to go through reclaiming the gift aid and collating all the details itself.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012