Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:09:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stupid Rules  (Read 2748 times)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
Stupid Rules
« on March 19, 2014, 11:57:42 pm by DMnumber4 »
I may be a bit late in the day on this one, as they happened at the City Ground on Saturday (or maybe I've only just sobered up) but I had a quick flashback to a couple of minor incidents which grated with me at the time.

1) Why was Wellens told to leave the pitch despite a) the physio not being invited on by the referee and b) not receiving any treatment?

2) Chris Brown was booked for kicking the ball just as the 'keeper had released it to drop kick it. Why? I accept that it's not the most sporting thing to do and it's kind of an unwritten rule that you don't, but it wasn't malicious in any way - hardly crime of the century stuff.

We'll be booking players for time-wasting, kicking the ball away, taking shirts off and leaving the field next. Oh, wait...

:rolleyes:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2014, 12:08:11 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Take a look at Yeovils disallowed goal at QPR last sat. Watch the keeper and tell me what James Hayter did wrong?

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Stupid Rules
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2014, 12:12:36 am by since-1969 »
He plays for Yeovil and not QPR

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2014, 12:50:08 am by RedJ »
To be honest, I don't understand why you're not allowed to do what Brown did. The ball isn't under the keeper's (complete) control anymore so what's he doing wrong exactly?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 20, 2014, 06:41:35 am by GazLaz »
When the keeper throws the ball up to kick it is still classed as being under controll. You can't kick it away, Brown should have known the rule.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2014, 08:04:29 am by IDM »
On the FIFA website section "interpretation of the laws of the game"

"Offences committed against goalkeepers
• It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball
from his hands
A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or
attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing
it

• It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly"

I highlighted the relevant bit here.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2014, 08:20:41 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
It's all about referee's perceptions and it really winds me up!

Did anybody watch Manchester United vs Olympiakos last night? The Olympiakos player (number 27 I think - RB with dreadlocks) got booked for kicking the ball away, yet 10 minutes later David De Gea (I think) recieved the ball as the referee awarded the Greeks a free kick, he kicked it away and never got booked!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2014, 08:41:29 am by GazLaz »
There is no interpretation involved in the rule against the keeper.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2014, 09:17:53 am by IDM »
There is no interpretation involved in the rule against the keeper.

Eh?  I just posted the excerpt from the interpretations?  Unless you mean that there is nothing for the referee to interpret ie what Brown did was a clear case?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2014, 09:45:37 am by GazLaz »
I meant the in browns case it was a clear foul.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2014, 04:32:49 pm by idler »
On the FIFA website section "interpretation of the laws of the game"

"Offences committed against goalkeepers
• It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball
from his hands
A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or
attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing
it

• It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly"

I highlighted the relevant bit here.

Penalised doesn't mean a card must follow though.
Some tackles that go unpunished are ridiculous, this card is a bit over the top for me.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 20, 2014, 04:51:52 pm by IDM »
I think the key word here is "dangerous" - "the player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner", therefore a yellow card.  I don't necessarily agree it should be so, but that is what is written.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 20, 2014, 07:20:30 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I can remember George Best nutting the ball out of the keeper's hands once and knocking it in the net.  This was well before the rule changes that gave the keeper the protection they enjoy these days.  Don't think the goal was allowed though.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 22, 2014, 12:09:59 am by BobG »
I remember that one too Pie. Got a vague memory it was against Stoke City. It was disallowed and it was years before I understood why. Still think it's a stupid rule.

Ha. I've also just remembered being at Sincil Bank one Saturday afternoon watching Kim Book repel a quite good Lincoln team. They had some bruiser of a CF who's name I forget but who's memory I will never lose. Book jumped to catch one cross, got barged, violently, on his way down, fell all of a heap (not surprisingly) - on the wrong side of the goal line. 1-0 to the Lincoln. They won 3-0 in the end.

BobG

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 22, 2014, 08:42:55 am by The Red Baron »
This is the George Best one- for NI v England in Belfast. The England keeper was the legendary Gordon Banks.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8</a>

I've an idea the Lincoln striker was Percy Freeman. I was also at that game with a chap who was a qualified referee. He gave the match referee some serious earache about that decision.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 22, 2014, 02:39:44 pm by BobG »
John!!! You star!!!

Thanks for pointing out Georgie's effort had nowt to do with Stoke City, and even more thanks for remembering Percy Freeman! It was indeed he. Now you've reminded me I can see Fatso Freeman very clearly. I don't think I will ever forget that moment. Quite ruined my afternoon it did.

Which reminds me, although I wasn't there, my sister told me of another incident at Sincil Bank, years and years later, when the ref sent off 2 of our players in the first half for allegedly trivial things, which so incensed the Rovers fans generally, and my Dad specifically, that my Dad, (you remember him John? That big, calm, thoughtful, intelligent and decent bloke) had to be dragged off the pitchside wall by my sister to stop him marching onto the pitch to confront the ref as the half time whistle went.
He ended up marching into the office of the Lincoln City secretary to demand his money back on the grounds that he had paid to see a match between two teams of 11 players - not one team of 11, one of 9 and an idiot in black. I understand some quite serious words were exchanged....

What is it about that place?

BobG
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:42:57 pm by BobG »

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 22, 2014, 05:19:20 pm by RedRover45 »
John!!! You star!!!

Thanks for pointing out Georgie's effort had nowt to do with Stoke City, and even more thanks for remembering Percy Freeman! It was indeed he. Now you've reminded me I can see Fatso Freeman very clearly. I don't think I will ever forget that moment. Quite ruined my afternoon it did.

Which reminds me, although I wasn't there, my sister told me of another incident at Sincil Bank, years and years later, when the ref sent off 2 of our players in the first half for allegedly trivial things, which so incensed the Rovers fans generally, and my Dad specifically, that my Dad, (you remember him John? That big, calm, thoughtful, intelligent and decent bloke) had to be dragged off the pitchside wall by my sister to stop him marching onto the pitch to confront the ref as the half time whistle went.
He ended up marching into the office of the Lincoln City secretary to demand his money back on the grounds that he had paid to see a match between two teams of 11 players - not one team of 11, one of 9 and an idiot in black. I understand some quite serious words were exchanged....

What is it about that place?

BobG

I remember that game well Bob. Despite being down to nine men, we still won 2-0 and it turned into the John Buckley show who repeatedly beat five or six players at will. Weird game.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 22, 2014, 11:04:07 pm by BobG »
I wasn't there Red. I was darn sarf. But my old Dad and my slightly younger sister were. I thought we lost, but I could easily be wrong on that. At a rough approximation, sometime around 1994 or so? Percy Freeman was about 20 odd years before even that! Dirty get.

BobG

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 23, 2014, 12:53:34 am by RedRover45 »
I wasn't there Red. I was darn sarf. But my old Dad and my slightly younger sister were. I thought we lost, but I could easily be wrong on that. At a rough approximation, sometime around 1994 or so? Percy Freeman was about 20 odd years before even that! Dirty get.

BobG

April 24th 1985 Bob. We scored in the first half, then had two players sent off by half time. Then to really take the piss, we scored the second in the second half when down to nine men. Fun day.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012