Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:56:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers Player  (Read 2486 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Rovers Player
« on March 26, 2014, 12:11:36 am by Filo »
Another shambles tonight, not a peep out of it until 13 minutes into the game! Just because you have your lights on you shouldn't assume everyone can hear you, do a physical check, contact some one to confirm your broadcast are being heard, preferably 15 minutes before kick off to give you time to rectify things!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers Player
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2014, 09:17:39 am by VivaRovers »
I wasn't there or listening last night so can't comment on that, but I'll take the laptop with me on Saturday Filo when I'm back on duty and make sure to do a check that we can be heard in advance.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2014, 09:22:41 am by since-1969 »
I listened through out on my iPhone good reception .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2014, 09:26:01 am by Filo »
I wasn't there or listening last night so can't comment on that, but I'll take the laptop with me on Saturday Filo when I'm back on duty and make sure to do a check that we can be heard in advance.

It's just simple things like that Glenn, at least then you know you're broadcasting rather than waiting until some angry subscriber gets to you via social media when the game has already started. I know you're volunteers and as such are not professionals and in that respect we all can cut you some slack, but we've had these same issues in the past, I'm getting to the point now that I'm seriously considering my subscription.

On another point, do you have any idea why the Rovers Player iphone app doesn't start commentary until the game has started and cuts out as soon as the game has ended? 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2014, 09:28:35 am by Filo »
I listened through out on my iPhone good reception .

I listened on my iphone through my earpiece as I was working last night, as you say great reception, but it has you wondering if you're connected when commentary doesn't start on the app until the game has started, usually about a couple of minutes into the game

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2014, 10:01:53 am by bpoolrover »
I know a couple of people who couldn't get it all game

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2014, 10:16:13 am by anton123 »
How do u get player on your I phone ?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 26, 2014, 10:17:26 am by since-1969 »
Football league official App

balby boy

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2014, 10:38:21 am by balby boy »
I've been having problems for the past few weeks, with Player on my laptop.
It keeps cutting out, for minutes at a time, then when it comes back, continues where it left off; meaning it's well behind the live time game.
I run it on Mozilla Firefox - could this be the issue, or is it Player that's the problem.  Have also tried Internet Explorer with similar results.
Anyone else come across this problem?

Anyone seen the penalty decision from last night?  PD insistent a bad decision, even though Burnley deserved win.

:rtid:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2014, 10:39:29 am by silent majority »
To be fair the Football Leagues commercial operations are shocking. I know they have new people in there but it doesn't seem to improve season after season. Just look how long it takes them to get sponsors.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2014, 10:39:42 am by Filo »
It keeps cutting out, for minutes at a time, then when it comes back, continues where it left off; meaning it's well behind the live time game.
I run it on Mozilla Firefox - could this be the issue, or is it Player that's the problem.  Have also tried Internet Explorer with similar results.

Anyone seen the penalty decision from last night?  PD insistent a bad decision, even though Burnley deserved win.

When it's running behind, just refresh your page

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2014, 10:41:30 am by The Red Baron »
To be fair the Football Leagues commercial operations are shocking. I know they have new people in there but it doesn't seem to improve season after season. Just look how long it takes them to get sponsors.

SM- the whole organisation needs shaking up from top to bottom IMHO. It isn't fit for purpose. You only have to look at the way they've handled the situation at Coventry City.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 26, 2014, 10:51:49 am by andysly »
I'll be cancelling my subscription I'm afraid. Very poor service.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 26, 2014, 11:10:22 am by DonnyRTID »
The commentary is awful too, I ended up switching to Burnleys.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 26, 2014, 11:17:38 am by silent majority »

SM- the whole organisation needs shaking up from top to bottom IMHO. It isn't fit for purpose. You only have to look at the way they've handled the situation at Coventry City.

I can only comment on the bits I get involved with really RB.

To be fair I do like some of the senior management in there and the customer service people are very nice people, but with limitations on their effectiveness.

The major problem for them is that they have 72 clubs and don't have the income that the PL have with only 20 clubs. The difference between the two in capability is vast. The PL are very good at financing small projects and we're happy to partner with them on a whole range of these. We also partner with the FL on projects, but they have no money so the impact is dramatically reduced.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 26, 2014, 11:37:59 am by VivaRovers »

I've had similar problems when I've been listening, Google Chrome seems to work the best for me, so might be worth trying that. It also comes down to the strength of the connection too so if you use wireless internet try getting nearer to it.

A lot of the technical aspects there is little that Rovers can do about, things like Filo's query below...
"On another point, do you have any idea why the Rovers Player iphone app doesn't start commentary until the game has started and cuts out as soon as the game has ended? "</I>
...will come down to the providers of the Player service, not the club.

DonnyRTID's point though - "The commentary is awful too, I ended up switching to Burnleys" - can be addressed and worked upon. What didn't you like about it DonnyRTID? What would you prefer to hear?

I listen too when I'm not at games so want to try and ensure that it's as good a service as possible for those listening. If anyone has any (non-technical) requests/suggestions then please whack them on here and I'll see what I can do when I'm doing the commentary on Saturday

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 26, 2014, 05:39:58 pm by i_ateallthepies »

I had exactly the same problem last time I used the service, which is a few games ago.  I'm on Chrome and wired internet but that time it would run for a few minutes and then drop for a couple, coming back on where it left off.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 26, 2014, 10:28:41 pm by BobG »
Firefox is a bit of a git tbh. I've used it for aeons and aeons but it does have the incredibly irritating habit of taking up more and more and more of your processing capacity as time passes. It's easy enough to see it happening. Just look at the processes tab in Task Manager. If it goes far enough, it stops almost everything else from working except in spasmodic and intermittent bursts. It wrecks my Player listening - though my pc is steam driven I should add. Chrome is supposed to be better. I just haven't had the courage to use it yet. Lol

BobG

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 26, 2014, 10:51:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
My Chrome is ok but still suffers with the odd break ups which all add up to delay behind real time. If you don't keep refreshing, the BBC real time scores will beat you to a goal.

Be interesting to survey fans across 72 clubs to see what percentage experience delays which can ruin the whole purpose of the thing.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 30, 2014, 12:11:17 pm by VivaRovers »
Can't seem to find a swathe of complaints about yesterday's commentary, so am I to presume it went ok?

I've said this before, but if you've any feedback (beyond, "it's sh**e") then let us know - I use it myself when I'm not at games so want to make sure the service being delivered is what people want to hear.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 30, 2014, 12:13:41 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Goodall the way through for me

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 30, 2014, 12:15:46 pm by Filo »
Everything seemed OK yesterday Glenn, the only gripe I have is out of your control, and that is the FL app commentary doesn't start broadcasting until 2 or 3 minutes into the game

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 30, 2014, 12:18:47 pm by VivaRovers »
Cheers Filo... ran a quick pre-emptive test at about 25 to 3 yesterday as you requested in the week. Good job we did as the Mic. 1 volume was on all the way up to 11. Damn near deafened myself.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 30, 2014, 12:22:55 pm by Filo »
Cheers Filo... ran a quick pre-emptive test at about 25 to 3 yesterday as you requested in the week. Good job we did as the Mic. 1 volume was on all the way up to 11. Damn near deafened myself.

Good man, you now need to train your fellow commentators up for the occasions when you can't make it, a pre match checklist/routine might be a good idea, sellotaped onto the lid of the equipment case

balby boy

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 04, 2014, 11:41:41 am by balby boy »
Only just got back online today so thanks for responses to my issues.  Will try refresh option next time it happens.  Couldn't use last Sat as at a wedding.  Will try again for blues game.  Not keen on using google chrome - likely to have same issues as Internet explorer - lack of security/likelyhood of being hacked etc.  Never had any problem since been using Firefox & ESET antivirus.  However I often get the laptop running slowly so will look closely at task manager next time.  :crying:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012