Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:55:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ray Dunning  (Read 10107 times)

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
Ray Dunning
« on May 04, 2014, 02:58:12 pm by ditch_drfc »
So Ray us the fellow rover who tragically passed away at the weekend. Would we be able to do something for him? If he was an st holder, maybe retire his seat, change the colour so it's obvious it's his and puy a plaque on it? Just an idea

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Ray Dunning
« Reply #1 on May 04, 2014, 02:59:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Agree something should and can be done. Let's think of something and get it done.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 04, 2014, 03:02:30 pm by Filo »
So so sad, RIP to Ray and sincere condolences to his family and all who knew him, if it's any comfort he passed away doing something that he obviously loved

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 04, 2014, 03:08:53 pm by Copps is Magic »
Look, luckily I've never had anyone close to me pass away but I imagine at this stage his family are still in shock. We should worry about tributes later and offer any support we can. What about financially? Did this man or his family buy season tickets for next season. Can we refund them?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 04, 2014, 03:12:29 pm by Canadian Rover »
Maybe something could be done at the same time as Copps  testimonial?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 04, 2014, 03:13:38 pm by Filo »
Look, luckily I've never had anyone close to me pass away but I imagine at this stage his family are still in shock. We should worry about tributes later and offer any support we can. What about financially? Did this man or his family buy season tickets for next season. Can we refund them?

It's not easy to cope with so e one close passing away, but from experience I found it a great comfort to talk about it

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 04, 2014, 03:17:35 pm by GazLaz »
He got a standing ovation when the paramedics carried him out. He was with his daughter, hopefully the club can do a bit of something for her.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 04, 2014, 04:50:02 pm by mjg »
God bless , Rovers forever

The Red Baron

• VSC Member

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 04, 2014, 08:12:58 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 Thinking of Ray and his family at this very sad time. God bless.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 04, 2014, 08:37:55 pm by bedale rover »
Been chatting to my sister and she says that her son my nephew played cricket with ray
Not only that but his mum and dad lived next door to my mum and dad in Samuel street

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 04, 2014, 10:31:58 pm by WarwickRover »
My condolences  to Ray's family and friends. What devastating news

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 04, 2014, 11:07:10 pm by Nudga »
Ray was the only one who could drive when we were younger and he took us all over watching The Rovers, Carlisle, Crewe , Burnley and. Mansfield to name a few. It was his dad's Granada that took us all over, we took it for granted back then but I do look back on  those days with great fondness.  RIP Ray, Chris.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #13 on May 04, 2014, 11:30:32 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
So very sad. I can say nothing more.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 05, 2014, 02:44:23 am by les@donr »
Ray, RIP. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 05, 2014, 09:04:38 am by LincsRover »
I was about 4 rows in front of Ray when he collapsed, just before I heard the 2nd Birmingham goal on my radio. By that time the paramedics were doing CPR on him with the rest of us watching on horrified at the scene unfolding. Much as I was feeling gutted about relegation the whole scene in front of me put football, relegation, everything into context. I won't ever forget standing there feeling that a fellow fan was losing his battle for life - whilst the football was merely a sideshow.

My thoughts are with Rays family at this very sad time,

RIP Ray

rtidbelly

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 05, 2014, 03:32:16 pm by rtidbelly »
Was sat near the front so wasn't too close to the incident but could see the efforts to save him, was sat on the aisle seat so when they carried him down he was inches away form me. Also being 3 seats away from the tunnel I could see them carry him to the ambulance. The football became irrelevant i didn't watch the rest of the match even though we had 5 minutes to score and save ourselves from relegation. Stayed for a little while afterwards in shock at what i had just seen, an event that will live with me forever.

Ray Dunning may be someone i never knew but he will certainly be someone i will never forget after Saturdays events,

RIP Ray!!!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 05, 2014, 03:45:42 pm by hoolahoop »
RIP Ray a true Viking. Condolences to his family, I do hope that his family want to see the club and our supporters at his funeral sporting our colours.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 05, 2014, 04:55:44 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Very sad for all connected with him, and an acute reminder that life is more important than football.

Rather than a plaque, or maybe as well as, I wonder if dedicating a seat to him would be more fitting?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 05, 2014, 05:00:10 pm by grayx »
Hows about one of those "memorial bricks" at the keepmoat?

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 05, 2014, 06:41:18 pm by FuzzyDuck »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 05, 2014, 07:27:01 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I like it. If finances are an important factor, it will do better being at Leicester. I like the no segregation idea.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 05, 2014, 08:14:22 pm by drfc1951 »
This might be an idea.  What do you think?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2208820057?view=permalink&id=10154064226690058

Not on facebook so cant view it , what does it say.Is it about a pre season friendly against Leicester? Was going  to suggest that.

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 05, 2014, 08:33:44 pm by Ian Nimmo »
I was about 4 rows in front of Ray when he collapsed, just before I heard the 2nd Birmingham goal on my radio. By that time the paramedics were doing CPR on him with the rest of us watching on horrified at the scene unfolding. Much as I was feeling gutted about relegation the whole scene in front of me put football, relegation, everything into context. I won't ever forget standing there feeling that a fellow fan was losing his battle for life - whilst the football was merely a sideshow.

My thoughts are with Rays family at this very sad time,

RIP Ray

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 05, 2014, 08:34:25 pm by TommyC »
I wasn't at Leicester and I didn't know Ray. My thoughts and condolences nevertheless go to his family. Very very sad. Having lost my Rovers supporting dad (and also best pal) about ten years ago I know how it feels although his demise was not at a game or as shocking in the way Ray passed.

Having said that, in the last couple of days I've read suggestions of benevolent funds, his name on our shirts next year, a special one off game in his honour, naming a seat after him, flowers laid at the stadium......

Guys, what happened to a period of quiet reflection, allowing the family to grieve in peace, make a tribute in your own quiet dignified way and then all move on? The British obsession with this kind of thing sometimes gets a little much. Send some flowers, go to the funeral if the family want it..... But why all so public with the shows of grief?

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 05, 2014, 08:38:48 pm by Ian Nimmo »
Our family were sat close to Ray and we are so sad for his family, our thoughts are with them all.

Mr Brightside

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 05, 2014, 11:04:03 pm by Mr Brightside »
My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time, makes you realise how precious life is.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 06, 2014, 08:39:17 pm by Jimmydee »
I was on the back row at Leicester and I was totally oblivious to the tragedy  happening in front of us.
 I suffered a heart attack after the Keepmoat victory against Charlton in January. I'm recovering well.
Saturdays game was full of different emotions and I was completely drained after the game, I was very upset when the news filtered through via a phone call from my son back home in Doncaster about Ray Dunning.
I didn't know him even though our path's would have crossed at any of the Rovers games in the past.
I'm the lucky one that has survived and I'm sending my condolences to his family. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012