Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 02:38:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Greg Dyke's Report. Serious drafting error  (Read 4686 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Greg Dyke's Report. Serious drafting error
« on May 08, 2014, 03:29:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Greg Dyke's report on how to salvage English football (including having B teams) has been published with some serious omissions

Here is what the report should have said, with the missing text highlighted.

"In the 2012-13 Premier League season when the England team was shit, only 32% of starters qualified to play for England, compared to 69% 20 years ago when the England team was shit.

"There should be 90 English players playing over 50% of minutes in the Premier League compared with 66 today - of these 30 should be playing in the top six teams in the Premier League compared with the 18 today.

"This is still lower than the figures being achieved in Germany and Spain today but it would take English football back to a figure last achieved in 2000 when the England team was shit."

When are they going to get it into their skulls? It's not about foreigners. It's not about B teams. We haven't consistently produced high quality English players for decades (arguably, ever). We have, through the generations, produced second-raters and called them world class.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:32:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Greg Dyke's Report. Serious drafting error
« Reply #1 on May 08, 2014, 04:33:37 pm by Ldr »
When will they get it understood that international football has had its day. Its not the be all and end all of everything. GIven the choice of DRFC being successful of England its not contest Rovers every time

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 08, 2014, 04:58:14 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Given the choice of England winning the 2014 World Cup or Rovers getting promoted back into the Championship next season, I'd go for England.

As a football fan & indeed, as a Rovers supporter, your country winning the biggest football tournament in the world, with all the ramifications on increased interest & attendances & the 'qudos' for the game here it would have worldwide, surely has to take precedance even over your 'own club's' success for one season .....IMO.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 08, 2014, 05:12:20 pm by pib »
Just reading up a bit on Greg Dyke, wondering what his angle is. Surely as former Brentford chairman, he would have the interests of lower league clubs at heart?

"The managing director of London Weekend Television (LWT), Greg Dyke, met with the representatives of the "big five" football clubs in England in 1990. The meeting was to pave the way for a break away from The Football League. Dyke believed that it would be more lucrative for LWT if only the larger clubs in the country were featured on national television and wanted to establish whether the clubs would be interested in a larger share of television rights money. The five clubs decided it was a good idea and decided to press ahead with it"

Oh, I see.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 08, 2014, 05:22:47 pm by PDX_Rover »
Weigh Anchor.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 08, 2014, 05:33:21 pm by PDX_Rover »
What do they do in Brazil. In Argentina? I'd guess that nearly all of their national team play abroad...

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 08, 2014, 05:35:59 pm by Dare to dream! »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 08, 2014, 05:49:14 pm by mushRTID »
http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-dyke-defends-fas-premier-league-b-team-proposal-14050890357

This guy makes me sick. How can a man like this be in charge?

was just going to post this. Adrian Durham fair play to you.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 08, 2014, 06:01:46 pm by silent majority »
Talk about mixed up thinking, that man has it all.

Does anybody notice how often he mentions supporters in his analysis?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 08, 2014, 06:02:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from Dyke's report about introducing Prem B teams into the pyramid.

"It’s an idea that you’ll find in almost every country in Europe."

Aye. Except the country that has won more World Cups than any other on the continent.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 08, 2014, 06:03:47 pm by Filo »
I wonder how he'd feel if a 'B' team prevented Brentford from being promoted?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 08, 2014, 06:04:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Could be worse. The D team did it to them last year.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 08, 2014, 06:26:46 pm by The Red Baron »
http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-dyke-defends-fas-premier-league-b-team-proposal-14050890357

This guy makes me sick. How can a man like this be in charge?

was just going to post this. Adrian Durham fair play to you.

Just listened to that. Dyke is so arrogant that he's determined to force this through even if it wrecks English club football.

Well done to Adrian Durham for his comments at the end.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 08, 2014, 06:32:01 pm by The Red Baron »
The FSF statement;

http://fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/fsf-statement-on-the-fas-england-commission-report

Not strong enough, Martin. I'd rather read that the FSF will fight the B-Team proposal tooth and nail.

Dyke isn't proposing something for consultation. He's telling everyone that this is the way forward- indeed the only way forward. Either you accept it or you resist it.

The SD statement is better, but again they need to commit to fighting these damaging proposals.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/press-release/sd-responds-to-fa-commission-proposals-for-feeder-clubs

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 08, 2014, 07:00:59 pm by bobbymax »
Reads to me like a blueprint for the systematic destruction of football outside the Premier League!

The man's an idiot and if he forces this through it will be the end of a meaningful existence for clubs in the lower divisions.

What an idiot! Who gives a toss about the England team anyway - half of the players don't!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 08, 2014, 07:21:05 pm by silent majority »
The FSF statement;

http://fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/fsf-statement-on-the-fas-england-commission-report

Not strong enough, Martin. I'd rather read that the FSF will fight the B-Team proposal tooth and nail.

Dyke isn't proposing something for consultation. He's telling everyone that this is the way forward- indeed the only way forward. Either you accept it or you resist it.

The SD statement is better, but again they need to commit to fighting these damaging proposals.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/press-release/sd-responds-to-fa-commission-proposals-for-feeder-clubs

RB

It's a holding statement, nothing more than that. We've already stated we would fight these types of proposals and we won't back down from this.

We have a NC meeting on Saturday and the SD reps will be there as well. Don't forget we also hold a position on the FA Council and I can almost guarantee that the National Game Board will side with us, plus the non-aligned and most of the Professional Game Board.

When Greg Dyke, in charge of ITV at the time, proposed a break away league that hoovered up all the money he said it was for the good of the national team. Strangely enough he's making the same noises. This time he won't succeed.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 08, 2014, 08:02:50 pm by aidanstu »
Out of curiosity the report refers to % of home grown players (not just English); does anybody know what the % of English players playing in the English Premier league is? and why the English FA give a toss about the % of home grown players given the other countries have there own FAs?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 08, 2014, 08:15:50 pm by pib »
Has anybody read the report? Some of it is hilarious, and doesn't even attempt to hide its blatant avoidance of upsetting the Premier League.

Point number 1 in the "Solutions" section:
"We must do nothing to impair the European prospects of our top football clubs or reduce the attractiveness of the Premier League overseas."

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 08, 2014, 10:53:56 pm by PDX_Rover »
Two points:

1 - we have a perfectly fine loan system to blood young players from top clubs.

2 - does he really think that these B teams will be crammed full of English talent?

He cannot give a straight answer to any of the questions asked in the interview.

Complete b*llocks.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 09, 2014, 08:37:13 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
When Greg Dyke first joined the FA I thought he had his head screwed on and talked some sense, now he's just taking the piss with no consideration except for the top 20! Having being the Chairman at Brentford FC, I thought he would have some consideration and know how on the Football League!

Having said that, his last game as a Football League club Chairman was vs. 'TLOD' in dramatic circumstances, so he's probably fell out with it all the toss piece!

He's absolutely fixated on winning the World Cup in the future!

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 09, 2014, 09:11:22 am by Wiltshire Exile »
Greg Dyke? More like Greg Dick!

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 09, 2014, 05:04:29 pm by aidanstu »
Fixated with the top 20 is probably an over statement. Didn't he have a meeting in regards to creating a franchised premier league with only the top 6 clubs?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 09, 2014, 06:41:16 pm by RobTheRover »
Greg Dyke? More like Greg Dick!

Dick van Dyke?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 10, 2014, 12:08:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Finger in the Dyke?

Not offering, like, but that's the least he deserves. A couple of fists up him would be a more appropriate response to that f**king report.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 10, 2014, 02:15:29 pm by albie »
Did you mean "salvage" or "savage" in the OP, BST?

Anyway, why am I not surprised. Latest chapter in bringing the football industry into the modern age, as the FA see it. Its where the money is, lets cut adrift the deadwood like Rovers, and make the game more big brand media friendly.

The writing was on the wall with the Belles automatic demotion fiasco. Full dress rehearsal for change, tested in the womens game.

This is just the latest salvo in the marketing of a cleansed product, with only a nod towards tradition where it has a price tag.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 10, 2014, 06:28:17 pm by selby »
Nothing new Midland and Central leagues had league teams playing none league Peterborough, Gainsborough,Worksop,etc in fifties and Margate were a feeder club for the Arsenal as far back as the 1930s.
   Just how much does Dyke get for going back in time.
   I give you two results from this era
       England3 Hungary6
       Hungary7 England1
    Only Bert Troutman a German ex POW played in our first division who was a foreign player that I know of at that time.
    The league teams entered their reserve teams and the southern regions had their own reserve regionolised leagues called the Football Combination
   Dyke probably found an old Charles Buchon monthly magazine and thought thats a good idea.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 10, 2014, 08:31:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
I just think it's such a bizarre answer to the question of how do we improve english youngsters, nevermind messing with years of tradition and potentially destroying lower league clubs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 10, 2014, 08:35:15 pm by silent majority »
I guarantee within a couple of weeks this idea will be dead in the water. What worries me is the next few instalments. Next one due in the autumn.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012