Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:26:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Retained List..  (Read 21910 times)

RoversGirl1991

• Forum Member
Retained List..
« on May 09, 2014, 10:42:14 am by RoversGirl1991 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Retained List..
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2014, 10:52:21 am by The Red Baron »
Looks as though they are going to spend the next week sounding out those players that they would like to retain.

This is the full list of players out of contract:

Turnbull
Maxted
Wakefield
McCombe
Tamas
Meite
Cotterill
Keegan
Coppinger
Peterson
Paynter
Binns
Finnegan
Middleton
Meade
Whincop

Of those, we know Binns, Finnegan, Meade and Whincop will be released, so presumably the other first years (Peterson and Middleton) will be offered terms. Paynter doesn't fit into Dickov's plans and I doubt that Tamas or Meite (or possibly Turnbull) will stay for League One football.

I'm guessing that the others will be offered deals, but they may want to keep their options open and see if something better is available.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2014, 10:59:57 am by wing commander »
   I expected most of the first year lads would go....We need to try and find the lads who have been offered 1st year deals a better platform to improve.We don't seem to be able to bridge the gap from 1st pro contracts to first team often enough with these lads...The problem nowadays is that there are so many experienced pro's available either as free agents and loans that clubs don't want to take chances on inexperienced league youngsters until to far down the pyramid..And whilst I don't support the proposals off Dyke as I think that will make it worse,i accept they need to do something..

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2014, 11:01:25 am by Yargo »
Sounds to me that PD is trying to keep some of those expected to take flight,im feeling very encouraged!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2014, 11:35:42 am by DRNaith »
I could see Meite being convinced to stay, he's a good defender and if he's settled here he may be happy with a season in league one.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2014, 12:01:00 pm by rtid88 »
Turnbull
Maxted
Wakefield
McCombe
Meite
Cotterill
Keegan
Coppinger
Peterson
Paynter

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2014, 12:08:21 pm by Dare to dream! »
Keeping Cotterill, Cops, Paynter, McCombe and Keegan would be my priority. Any others would be a bonus
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:16:51 pm by Dare to dream! »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 09, 2014, 12:14:52 pm by silent majority »
I think it's simple, pay them a LG1 wage but a massive bonus when we're promoted at the end of next season. They'll stay for that.  ;)

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 09, 2014, 12:30:56 pm by RJHeader »
I'd be very very very surprised if any of Tamas, Meite, Turnbull would want to stay.

All 3 could easily be turning out for Championship sides without a doubt

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 09, 2014, 12:31:46 pm by Bessie Red »
I  believe Bennett is still are player!! Would be looking to offload him.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 09, 2014, 12:33:23 pm by mushRTID »
I'd be very very very surprised if any of Tamas, Meite, Turnbull would want to stay.

All 3 could easily be turning out for Championship sides without a doubt

Agree but wasnt Meite not playing any football for a long spell? Might just want to play now. Can you imagine Meite in L1????

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 09, 2014, 12:51:18 pm by silent majority »
And you have to factor in that our club is very,very,very well run. That means quite a bit to some players.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2014, 12:54:29 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
This is the full list of players out of contract:

Turnbull
Maxted
Wakefield
McCombe

Tamas
Meite
Cotterill
Keegan
Coppinger
Peterson
Paynter

Binns
Finnegan
Middleton
Meade
Whincop

The ones in bold I think we'll keep. The ones in itallic I don't know anything about, so only Dickov can be the judge on them.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2014, 02:23:54 pm by grayx »
I think it's simple, pay them a LG1 wage but a massive bonus when we're promoted at the end of next season. They'll stay for that.  ;)

Exactly. I was saying the same thing. Will also show which ones are determined to get us back to the Championship.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2014, 03:17:50 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think more might stay than we think.  Perhaps Meite will and Turnbull although a long shot, we can hope.

I would think Coppinger, Keegan would stay, but bar that I wouldn't expect much more really.  Dickov never fancied Paynter, Tamas always was likely to be short term and Cotterill I can see wanting a move closer to his home.  The others are youngsters really, whether they're good enough or not I don't know?

RocketRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2014, 03:53:36 pm by RocketRover »
I think more might stay than we think.  Perhaps Meite will and Turnbull although a long shot, we can hope.

I would think Coppinger, Keegan would stay, but bar that I wouldn't expect much more really.  Dickov never fancied Paynter, Tamas always was likely to be short term and Cotterill I can see wanting a move closer to his home.  The others are youngsters really, whether they're good enough or not I don't know?

He's played for us, Sheff Utd and Barnsley. That to me says he's very settled in South Yorkshire?

Robbo177

« Reply #16 on May 09, 2014, 04:25:42 pm by Robbo177 »
Keegan will defo stay . . . who would seriously want to take on a midfield player who fails to pass forwards, score goals etc (he puts a shift in, to be fair, not knocking his effort.)  If we plan on gaining promotion we need to improve in centre mid, as support and back up for Richie W.

donnyguy61

« Reply #17 on May 09, 2014, 05:29:19 pm by donnyguy61 »
@liamhodenDFP 
As we understand it, part of delay in Rovers' retained list is due to various clauses in players' contracts activated by relegation

@liamhodenDFP 
It's understood there are clauses which hand certain powers to club & others which hand powers to players when it comes to contracts #drfc

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2014, 08:34:33 pm by southwestexile »
Hope we keep Maxted or else Sully might have to come back

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 09, 2014, 08:59:15 pm by wilts rover »
Keegan will defo stay . . . who would seriously want to take on a midfield player who fails to pass forwards, score goals etc (he puts a shift in, to be fair, not knocking his effort.)  If we plan on gaining promotion we need to improve in centre mid, as support and back up for Richie W.

In our last promotion season we won 25 games, Keegan played in 16 of those. Some of the worst performances, MK, Crawley away, coincided with him being out of the team.

Just saying like.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 09, 2014, 09:16:06 pm by Rios »

In our last promotion season we won 25 games, Keegan played in 16 of those. Some of the worst performances, MK, Crawley away, coincided with him being out of the team.

Just saying like.

Unfortunately Wilts it's strangely a popular view... the amount of people I've heard at away games giving Keegan a hard time.  You need a grafter in your midfield (not two though, sorry Furman!) to give Wellens and Copps and Cotterill the time and license to be creative.  I hate to think we'll go back to a midfield which is very creative but just gets kicked all over the park which is a lesson that SOD always struggled with.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 09, 2014, 09:18:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Erm...do you know what a defensive midfielder is?

MagicMartinoWoods

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 10, 2014, 01:18:48 am by MagicMartinoWoods »
To make the prospect of staying more attractive I would be structuring any contract offers like so....

2 year contract
1st year League 1 wage
Non-promotion release clause [so they know they only have to stay one year in league 1]
2nd year Championship wage - large wage rise dependent on promotion [factoring in the extra money from a promotion]
+large promotion bonus

Gives the player the security of paid football at minimum of one year decent (read higher end) league 1 wage, with the potential for a large wage final year of contract should we obtain promotion.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 10, 2014, 07:46:22 pm by bpoolrover »

Erm...do you know what a defensive midfielder is?
how many did Richie score this year

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 15, 2014, 08:38:05 am by Wild Rover »
I cant figure out why PD has not announced his "Released" players. OK there are issues with some players regarding "Contract Clauses", but they wont be "Released" players, they will be "Transfer Listed" ones.
Two completely different animals.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 15, 2014, 08:39:41 am by The Red Baron »
Maybe they have made offers to some of the out of contract players and are waiting to see if they accept them. It does seem odd that it has to be delayed so long.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 15, 2014, 08:42:37 am by Dare to dream! »
I'm surprisingly anxious about the list coming out.

Hoping we don't see Coppinger on the released bit

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 15, 2014, 08:48:29 am by Wild Rover »
Maybe they have made offers to some of the out of contract players and are waiting to see if they accept them. It does seem odd that it has to be delayed so long.

Yes I know, but, that has no bearing on "Released" list. Even if some "out of contract" ones are offered "Terms". They are still  ( as far as PD is concerned ) "Released"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:51:18 am by Wild Rover »

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 15, 2014, 09:14:19 am by BigColSutherland »
Last time we were in League One we lost £3m+, with three major shareholders covering that.

We are now seemingly down to two.

Even with a profitable stadium, I wouldn't be suprised to see the budget for next year be considerably smaller than it was in 2012/13. The retained list should give us an interesting insight into TB and DW's intentions.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 15, 2014, 09:15:59 am by wing commander »
   I have a different view to most on this issue..In my opinion the two biggest problems we have had are the inbalance of the squad and the distinct lack of pace out wide,weve nobody to ghost past a man and pull players out of position...
   The budget is going to be a lot smaller and for me tough descisions have to be made..I like Keegan but I wouldn't offer him a new deal,we still have enough defensive midfielders..Were  weve been terribly short of creative ones..I would also release Copps sentiment aside we need more pace in this team and whilst it would be nice to keep him for his flexibility he will still command top doller..I would offer Cotts a deal for the quality of his dead ball skills alone but the rest I would let go...With Forrester to come back we still have the core of a good squad but we need to balance positions much better...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012