Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:17:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Labour gain Bessecarr  (Read 8148 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Labour gain Bessecarr
« on May 23, 2014, 02:36:01 pm by Filo »
That has to be the biggest shock of the elections in Donny

Also UKIP gain Edenthorpe Kirk Sandall and Barnby Dunn
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:24:50 am by RobTheRover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Labour gain Bessecar
« Reply #1 on May 23, 2014, 03:14:01 pm by Copps is Magic »
Donny: Labour -1, UKIP +1
Sheffield: Labour +1, UKIP +3
Barnsley: Labour +1, UKIP (no seats)

Rotherham: Labour -8, UKIP +10

wtf went off in Rotherham then?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 23, 2014, 03:23:26 pm by RedJ »
I'm surprised Mick hasn't already come on here and claimed some great awakening of the masses.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 23, 2014, 03:28:34 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I voted in Edenthorpe. Not for UKIP though.  Not great for labour really.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 23, 2014, 03:32:38 pm by IC1967 »
Well done UKIP for taking Edenthorpe, Kirk Sandall and Barnby Dunn. The people have spoken. Labour got lucky in Bessacar. Roll on the European results on Sunday when UKIP will again do very well.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 23, 2014, 03:33:13 pm by Filo »

How does some one living in Leeds get a vote in the Doncaster Council elections?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 23, 2014, 03:39:17 pm by Filo »
Well done UKIP for taking Edenthorpe, Kirk Sandall and Barnby Dunn. The people have spoken. Labour got lucky in Bessacar. Roll on the European results on Sunday when UKIP will again do very well.

Labour won by 142 votes in Bessacar turn out 35%

UKIP won by 37 votes in Edenthorpe turn out 33%

And you say Labour was lucky? Pmsl!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:41:53 pm by Filo »

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 23, 2014, 03:49:51 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

How does some one living in Leeds get a vote in the Doncaster Council elections?

I didn't get chance to transfer my vote so ended up that my vote was still here.  Technically all my paperwork stuff is.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 23, 2014, 03:55:54 pm by IC1967 »

Labour won by 142 votes in Bessacar turn out 35%

UKIP won by 37 votes in Edenthorpe turn out 33%

And you say Labour was lucky? Pmsl!

Labour only won Bessacar because the LibDems are so unpopular and the Tory vote was very complacent and didn't turn out. Next time Labour will get one hell of a beating.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:58:51 pm by IC1967 »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 23, 2014, 04:43:04 pm by Filo »

I didn't get chance to transfer my vote so ended up that my vote was still here.  Technically all my paperwork stuff is.

It's wrong you should n't have voted

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 23, 2014, 04:53:36 pm by Jenny »
I voted in Doncaster too, add me to the list of wrong uns

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 23, 2014, 05:01:29 pm by Filo »
I voted in Doncaster too, add me to the list of wrong uns

Done!

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 23, 2014, 05:03:36 pm by auckleyflyer »
I voted in Bessie and for the first time lib dem.
Been unhappy with con-artists using Nick as the lightening conductor who all bad news flows thro!
Think he / they have done a decent job of tempering the harder right side of cams elite clowns.
Also didn't want to kick a dead dog.
Bugs me how labour go unchallenged in Donny, but would be embarrassed to be from rothers!!!

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 23, 2014, 05:17:32 pm by IC1967 »
You're only a wrong un if you didn't vote UKIP.

We need to take a leaf out of Rotherham's book. They are ahead of the game compared to Donny. I suspect next time we get chance to vote there will be a lot more UKIP councillors. Labour's days of dominance are coming to an end.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 23, 2014, 05:35:25 pm by IC1967 »
I suspect many didn't vote UKIP because with the first past the post system life is very difficult for them. In fact it's downright unfair. I've done an analysis of the results and this is what I've found:

Labour votes - 26,552
UKIP votes-     22,096

Labour seats in the council - 48
UKIP seats in the council -     1

This is not democracy. Labour get 20% more votes than UKIP but get 48 times as many seats (4,700% more). This is plainly ridiculous. Never mind. Next time even with first past the post, UKIP will make substantial gains. One day they will be the majority party and can sort Doncaster out good and proper instead of the useless Labour councillors we've had to put up with for far too long.

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 23, 2014, 06:48:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

No it isn't. Arguably I have two residences where should I vote?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 23, 2014, 09:10:08 pm by River Don »
Donny: Labour -1, UKIP +1
Sheffield: Labour +1, UKIP +3
Barnsley: Labour +1, UKIP (no seats)

Rotherham: Labour -8, UKIP +10

wtf went off in Rotherham then?

UKIP targeted Rotherham as a constiuency they thought they could do well in.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 23, 2014, 09:21:30 pm by Filo »

Leeds where you live

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 23, 2014, 11:12:21 pm by Iberian Red »

Nigeria?

Electoral fraud has happened in the hot bed called Edenthorpe.

There must be a recount.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 24, 2014, 03:40:26 am by not on facebook »
One Reason why UKIP did so Well in Rotherham,  will be after the
Knock on effect after the recent sex sandal case where asian men were found to be grooming young under aged white girls for sex

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 24, 2014, 08:00:16 am by Filo »
A comparison of the vote in Edenthorpe between the two major players of that ward from 2010 and 2014, Fred Gee the UKIP candidate stood as an English Democrat in 2010.

2010.                                         2014

David Nevett 1632                    1267

Fred Gee.      1100                    1304

turnout.        63%.                    33%

So Fred Gee only polled 204 more votes this time around despite David Nevett polling 435 less votes than last time around. Hardly a convincing victory for a man that is riding the crest of a UKIP wave is it?     

The Conservative vote in 2010 was 1383 and in 2014 was 681.

Thats 702 votes down from last time which suggests that UKIP have picked up their votes from the conservative voters rather than Labour, UKIP were lucky in Edenthorpe
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:06:43 am by Filo »

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 24, 2014, 09:41:10 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The turnout made a big difference though. So given the size of vote halved it's a good achievement for him.  Always surprised me labour got in here anyway given the demographic of the area.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 24, 2014, 10:42:01 am by Yargo »
Knock on effect after the recent sex sandal case where asian men were found to be grooming young under aged white girls for sex
Give me a reason why i should still continue to pay Vikings chat when shyte like this is allowed ?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 24, 2014, 11:15:44 am by RobTheRover »

Its not wrong, Dave.  Its where they are entitled to vote.  That's where the electoral roll has them registered.

I only just managed to get my change of address registered in time for this election, and I moved over 18 months ago.  Its the last thing on your mind until an election comes around.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 24, 2014, 11:20:15 am by RobTheRover »
Give me a reason why i should still continue to pay Vikings chat when shyte like this is allowed ?

You pay to be a member of the trust, Yargo.  Viking Chat forum is free to use.

BTW, I put your kind offer to Stefan and he said he will be in touch when he returns.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Labour gain Bessecarr
« Reply #25 on May 24, 2014, 11:54:31 am by The Red Baron »
I would imagine UKIP's strong showing in Rotherham (when they did nothing like so well in Donny or Barnsley, for example) is a legacy of the 2012 By-election. Then they finished second to Labour after fighting a vigorous campaign. It is almost a mirror image of how the Lib Dems used to win parliamentary seats, by establishing a base on the local council. Here a strong parliamentary showing has enabled them to gain momentum locally.

I'd say that there is plenty of food for thought for all the parties in these results and UKIP did much better than I expected considering these results are for LOCAL (not European) elections. They will do even better in the Euros.

If I were a betting man I'd be lumping on another Hung Parliament in 2015. The Lib-Dem rump may even end up holding the balance of power. Now there's a thought!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 24, 2014, 12:25:52 pm by River Don »
Just looking at the Donny results it's surprising how well the UKIP candidates did, often coming a close second in each ward.

The reason Labour got in at Bessecarr was UKIP split the Tory vote.

The reason Mexborough the Forgotten Town candidate won was UKIP split the Labour vote.

If this translates to the national level as I think it will, it should make for an intriguing General Election.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 24, 2014, 12:31:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Labour has an interesting year coming up. They have clearly lost working class votes and support to UKIP over the last 18 months, which no-one expected (to this extent) but which looks inevitable with hindsight. The inevitability is a consequence of the New Labour experiment which did very little to help those at the bottom end, whilst (to quote Mandelson) being "intensely relaxed about people becoming filthy rich".[1]

New Labour simply took the support of the working class for granted. The signs were there in 2010 that this support was cracking, with huge numbers moving to the LDs. After the Election, most of these came back to Labour when they realised what they had done. Not out of any feeling of commitment to Labour, but because there was no anti-Tory alternative anymore. But a big chunk of those have now switched to UKIP as the protest of choice.

Labour has to work hard on two fronts over the next year.

Firstly, they have got to expose UKIP's economic strategy, which is barely ever mentioned, but which would make Thatcher look like Clement Attlee. It is bizarre that people who hate the Tories for their approach to economics would support UKIP.

Secondly, they have got to remind people what
the consequence of indulging in a protest vote was in 2010. Left-ish people voting LD then put Osborne into No11. Labour have got to hammer home that message remorselessly.

It's negative, but there's no option from here. Labour have to scare people into not indulging themselves. If you are left-ish leaning, you have no option but to vote Lab in 15, even if you don't do it out of conviction. The best alternative will be more of what we've had since 2010. The worst would be an unbridled right-wing Govt.

And if they DO win in 2015, Labour has to make it a priority to make sure they don't abandon the core working class in the way that Blair and New Labour did.

[1] To be fair, Mandelson did say "as long as they pay their tax". Trouble is, many of them didn't.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 24, 2014, 12:32:11 pm by not on facebook »

Ok i will butter it up for you a different way

UKIP targeted Rotherham as possible success because Of the issues Of the Child sex cases in the  borough ,as Its normally nailed on labour.

Child sex cases in Rotherham =UKIP see that as a plattform =ukips result last nite.

No Child sex cases in Rotherham =UKIP dont see it as a possible win=UKIP
Dont push them sens so Much=UKIP dont Get the number Of votes from Rotherham

Way i see it

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 24, 2014, 01:32:05 pm by RedJ »
So what about if a Catholic priest was exposed as running a child sex ring in Rotherham? or would that be different because he's (more than likely) white?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012