Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:54:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: L1 Team Comparison  (Read 4450 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
L1 Team Comparison
« on August 01, 2014, 09:25:13 pm by GazLaz »
A rough comparison of our successful League one teams with the one that will probably start on Saturday-

07/08

Sullivan

Roberts
Mills
Lockwood
O'Conner

Coppinger
Wellens
Stock
Green

Hayter
Heffernan

12/13

Woods

Quinn
Jones
McCombe
Spurr

Bennett
Keegan
Syers
Cotterill

Brown
Hume

14/15

Steer

Evina
Jones
McCullough
Wabara

Coppinger
Furman
Keegan
Bennett

Forrester
Robinson

This highlights to me how good a side we had in 07/08 and we should have gone up automatically.

How does our side now compare to that one?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
Re: L1 Team Comparison
« Reply #1 on August 01, 2014, 09:27:23 pm by coventryrover »
Who knows as we are yet to see

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 01, 2014, 09:28:46 pm by silent majority »
I don't see how you think the 12/13 season was a better one.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 01, 2014, 09:28:58 pm by Red wizard »
I'd bet the wage budget on 07-08 isn't much different to now.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 01, 2014, 09:29:53 pm by Nudga »
I bet it was

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 01, 2014, 09:32:50 pm by Red wizard »
It was around 3-3,5 mill i think.I bet where not far off that now. Just its taken up.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 01, 2014, 09:33:22 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
A rough comparison of our successful League one teams with the one that will probably start on Saturday-

07/08

Sullivan

Roberts
Mills
Lockwood
O'Conner

Coppinger
Wellens
Stock
Green

Hayter
Heffernan

12/13

Woods

Quinn
Jones
McCombe
Spurr

Bennett
Keegan
Syers
Cotterill

Brown
Hume

14/15

Steer

Evina
Jones
McCullough
Wabara

Coppinger
Furman
Keegan
Bennett

Forrester
Robinson

This highlights to me how good a side we had in 07/08 and we should have gone up automatically.

How does our side now compare to that one?

Think the teams in 07/08 in League One were generally much better than the ones of 12/13.  That 07/08 team would have walked the 12/13 league

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2014, 09:36:50 pm by Red wizard »
We'd not been a championship club then though. Now we have been players are stuck on bigger wages or they want more money as they think we will pay it. No doubt yeovil will find the same this year. Maybe not as much though.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2014, 09:37:28 pm by GazLaz »
The fact we could afford Keegan and Coppinger is probably the clue to the fact it will have been. Spurr was a class act in that team I think. We were heavily reliant in Cotts and Jones and were fortunate to go up. Only Copps and Forrester would get in that side from this years gang that aren't already in it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 01, 2014, 09:39:50 pm by GazLaz »
A million is a massive difference to a £2.5m budget. £2.5m and £3.5m are in no way similar.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 01, 2014, 09:43:26 pm by Red wizard »
If we go on past seasons then TB and DW have made more money in jan and for loans if were doing well or need it. If they do it this year the we won't be to far off imo. I would also say we have a bigger wage bill than 2.5

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 01, 2014, 09:44:30 pm by coventryrover »
Think Wabara will improve as he was injured last time with us.

Forester..no one knows
Main...No one Knows.
Tyson...It's only league one, think he can do well.
Cedric...no one knows.
Keegan...No probs
Furman..no probs
Robinson...could do well
Steer...COuld do as well as Johnstone.

You are being a bit too negative as you are comparing what you have seen/experienced vs the unknown.

To me the balance is getting there

There's a lot

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 01, 2014, 09:51:48 pm by GazLaz »
£2.5m is 16 players on 3k a week for a year. Unlikely.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 01, 2014, 09:55:23 pm by silent majority »
Unlikely as in not enough, or unlikely as in too much?

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 01, 2014, 10:14:58 pm by Red wizard »
Well on his last contract Copps was on around the 7 k mark so im led to belive. I bet we have players on more than 3 k. Add the bonus in as well.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 01, 2014, 10:17:44 pm by Red wizard »
Its something we will never find out so point less talking about it. All im going on is the wage bill stood around 4 mill the last time in l1. The team isn't that much different now. Not to the point of half anyway.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 01, 2014, 10:22:29 pm by mushRTID »
The fact we could afford Keegan and Coppinger is probably the clue to the fact it will have been. Spurr was a class act in that team I think. We were heavily reliant in Cotts and Jones and were fortunate to go up. Only Copps and Forrester would get in that side from this years gang that aren't already in it.

How can you say that when we haven't yet seen evina, main and Steer?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 01, 2014, 10:24:00 pm by Jonathan »
Expect the wage bill was higher in 07-08, and the league was definitely far stronger with an excellent Swansea team, Nottingham Forest, Leeds and ourselves (and the rest).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 01, 2014, 10:27:22 pm by GazLaz »

How can you say that when we haven't yet seen evina, main and Steer?

Evina and Main aren't as good as Spurr and Brown, that's not to say they won't be one day.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 02, 2014, 08:50:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I love this.

We won the national Tier 3 for the first time in our history. We had one of the best away records in Football League history.

But it was primarily due to two players and we were lucky.

The lengths some people will go to to spin a line...

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 02, 2014, 08:58:02 am by PDX_Rover »
How anyone can say this player is this or that player is that, before a ball has been kicked in anger, is beyond me.

Me? I keep faith in the club and am excited for the lads to get going.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 02, 2014, 09:03:52 am by GazLaz »

I love this.

We won the national Tier 3 for the first time in our history. We had one of the best away records in Football League history.

We had masses of good fortune that season, it's undeniable. Did our endeavour and hard work create some of this fortune? Yes it did, but even up to the very last we were 6 inches from probably not getting promoted.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 02, 2014, 09:11:46 am by hoolahoop »
How anyone can say this player is this or that player is that, before a ball has been kicked in anger, is beyond me.

I very much agree with you PDX , there is no way that anyone can make these sort of comparisons yet.
BTW Billy also made a great observation earlier in the thread when countering the argument that GazLaz made against the all conquering 12/13 team.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 02, 2014, 09:12:45 am by Dagenham Rover »

I love this.

We had masses of good fortune that season, it's undeniable. Did our endeavour and hard work create some of this fortune? Yes it did, but even up to the very last we were 6 inches from probably not getting promoted.

and last season we were 2 inches from staying up

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 02, 2014, 09:18:38 am by dickos1 »
This time 2 years ago, it was also doom and gloom on here, I seem to remember playing Rotherham without any centre halves.
And we went on to win the league,, let's just see what happens

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 02, 2014, 09:21:46 am by GazLaz »

It's not as if we are signing players that nobody's ever seen or heard of. They have been around long enough to go on previous form.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 02, 2014, 09:40:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Luck and 2012/13.

In the 12 matches against the 6 teams who finished immediately below us, we won 6, drew 4 and lost 2.

That is an exceptional record against fellow promotion contenders. One or two of those results might be considered lucky. But taken as a whole, they indicate a team that went head to head with the best in the division and hammered them.

You can't ask for any more than that, and you don't get a string if results like that from luck or from relying on a couple of players.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 02, 2014, 09:57:43 am by The Red Baron »
Expect the wage bill was higher in 07-08, and the league was definitely far stronger with an excellent Swansea team, Nottingham Forest, Leeds and ourselves (and the rest).

I still maintain that any of the top five in 2007-08 (Swansea, Forest, Leeds, Carlisle and ourselves) would have won League One in 2012-13 by a street.

Rovers won the League in 2012-13 because what they lacked in quality they more than made up for in team spirit. At times last season I felt that was lacking. We need to find it again this season.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 02, 2014, 01:05:52 pm by BigColSutherland »
Careful using stats William. Some people question their worth.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 02, 2014, 01:14:50 pm by graingrover »
There was no overaching Financial constraints .. we are now limited to 60% of turnover .Some of our fans have threatened to turn their backs so we cant compare with the past when fans were fans ! 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012