Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:37:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why have we lost the orderly queuing system at the bars?  (Read 1861 times)

Dazator

• Forum Member
Why have we lost the orderly queuing system at the bars?
« on August 17, 2014, 08:37:32 am by Dazator »
Can someone explain this?

It has gone from the South Stand bar, and I hear the same in the Belle Vue bar.

Previously with the metal barriers and orderly queue it ensured you got served in the right order and took up the least amount of space.  Now we have 4 lines of people in the South Stand and you can't stand and watch the TV - its just a mess of people in a limited space.

Can we bring back the old way of queuing, it wasn't broke?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Why have we lost the orderly queuing system at the bars?
« Reply #1 on August 17, 2014, 09:56:18 am by silent majority »
The caterers have always insisted that the service would be better to have several short queues rather than one longer one.

They did away with the one in the BVB half way through the service and seemed pleased with themselves, unfortunately fans stuck in the scrum  weren't as complimentary.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 17, 2014, 10:13:43 am by Tiddysdad »
When I came up with friends last season they raved about the queuing system and how they wished it was the same at forest.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 17, 2014, 10:31:15 am by Dagenham Rover »
The caterers have always insisted that the service would be better to have several short queues rather than one longer one.

They did away with the one in the BVB half way through the service and seemed pleased with themselves, unfortunately fans stuck in the scrum  weren't as complimentary.

Thats why every bank, building society, cafe etc uses a queuing system but our caterers know better!!!!! Crap food, poor portions, extortionate prices and management that think they know better than anybody else, recipe for disaster.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 17, 2014, 10:38:21 am by not on facebook »
Here is one for you all 'table service'

That will put a spanner in british culture Of serving drinks ,they do
It all Across europe and USA

More staff to employ for sure ,but more drinks sold too

Maybe Thats a bad idea as britian is just not ready for that step

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 17, 2014, 10:42:12 am by bobjimwilly »
Removing the barriers in the BVB was a terrible decision. My bro had to wait 15 mins for a pint - that is simply not acceptable.

northerncasual

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 17, 2014, 10:52:40 am by northerncasual »
It makes it worse in BVB that it's always so hot in there , with the chaos at the bar people gave up trying to get a drink

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
I used to work in one of the biggest theme parks in the world - probably the biggest. They employee simple queuing theory.

Queuing theory is essentially one longer queue through barriers. It works best because it's orderly and despite being a longer queue it moves more quickly giving the customer the sense that it is all good.  Why this isn't done at every area is beyond me.

They didn't even have all the facilities open in the south stand - ridiculous!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 17, 2014, 11:24:01 am by Dagenham Rover »
I'm old enough to remember in banks each cashier had an individual queue so you'd walk in pick the shortist only to find the geyser in front was paying in 20 million quid then wanting to pay half a dozen bills etc and you would have been better queuing at the cashier with the longest queue.

Same principle you end up behind the geyser buying a beer for half of the South Stand, same principle in our ticket office, The simple queuing theory works well and is totally proven, but not according to our caterers

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Queuing system
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2014, 11:43:24 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
At 1.05 pm, arrived at BVB, no barriers up at all. My mate said to them this is going to be chaos. 1.15pm they started to put the barriers up. Simultaneosly, as another mate arrived, the beer went off. 1.25 queue not moved, plus we agreed both lagers were undrinkable, we left as the queue grew towards the door. £13.20 spent on half drunk beer. We normally have 3 more rounds. Can they afford to lose ordinary punters like us?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2014, 12:24:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I was the next in the line to get served when a bloke in a smart suit moved the barriers, assisted by another bloke in a smart suit. Just as it was my turn it became a free for all and as I eventually crawled out of the mayhem like a hooker from a collapsed scrum, I got served. The woman who served me was livid about what they had done, as were other members of the bar staff.

I suggest the blokes who are paid to stand like tailors dummies doing now't, refrain from making stupid decisions like that one, and perhaps get a proper job serving behind the bar.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:26:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2014, 12:44:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Deeply depressing moment on the way out if the South Stand yesterday.

Big double exit doors at the bottom of the staircase with the push down handles to open them. Only one side of the door had been opened, so there was congestion as people tried to get out. Steward was stood by the open half oblivious to it. Eventually, a bloke three or four in front of me in the queue pushed down the bar and opened the other door. Steward said "That's it! Nice one."

Like our kid said, it sort of summed up the day. From the ale queues to the defending to the fact that we couldn't even organise opening a f**king door, we looked like a disorganised rabble.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 18, 2014, 12:59:04 am by Sammy Chung was King »
As a club there seems to be plenty of cooks spoiling the broth,committee's for this that and the other,the whole operation needs streamlining with somebody in charge of each section of the clubs business.
There seems to be plenty of back patting on what a good jobs being done,but i don't see it,the catering operation seems to be in chaos,cut the fancy food,get burger van meals a couple of options.

Get more experienced staff to help the young kids who serve,some look like they have just been thrown in straight from school,and haven't been learnt customer service etiquette,or have worked under that pressure before,i don't think it's the kids faults,my head would go if i didn't have confidence in what i was doing by learning it first.

Go back to basics,recruit some from the bars in Donny for the alcohol section,so they can learn them how it's done,and try give the customer value for money,the club needs all this lost revenue,it does impact on the playing side of things,even if only in a minor way,we haven't got much money as it is,we can't afford to lose on anything,whoever is in charge,get your hands on the wheel .

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 18, 2014, 01:10:42 am by BobG »
Brighton, of course, have enough blokes, capable blokes, to wheel barrels of decent beer right around their concourses to sell pints to people rather than have them making the queues longer.

Sadly, I can say that I have never, not once, bought anything from the bloody outlets at the KM. There was a bit of a boycott originally, and when that wore off, I was so disgusted with the service, the crap on offer and the extortionate pricing that I never have. This latest wheeze makes it doubly certain I can't see that changing any time soon.

Why is it so hard ffs? Plenty of other places do it alright. Even bloody Kidderminster Harriers. And Forest Green Rovers are better.

Anyone fancy having a go at estimating the take across all the outlets on a match day? And then what proportion of that goes to the club? Then double it and see the difference it makes.

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 18, 2014, 01:38:54 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Have we got people who go to say Brighton and try to learn from them?,or are we too pig headed to admit we don't know everything,i have no public service experience,i'm just thinking from a common sense view
I don't know everything,so i don't have all the answers,if i was the club i would be looking in to why the company who is running catering seems to be losing the club money,it's not good enough.
All us supporters don't mind things inside the stadium being a quid more say than outside,because it goes to the club,but if it's two or three quid more and you get less for your money that's when the limit has been hit.
I Feel for those who bring kids,because kids are always hungry or thirsty,and at those prices how can you afford the tickets,petrol or bus fare,programme,and then stump up for a beer or two plus food for you and the kids?

It's sad that you haven't ever bought anything from the catering side,if you don't get anywhere near value for money how can you?
It's better to either get something outside or bring sandwiches and a drink yourself.
Our club likes to be known as a 'Family club',why do we need a big company running catering?
What's wrong with getting local people in with experience one or two,who can learn the young kids who to cook a job lot of food on a budget?
We have a market that could be supported with fresh food,which taste's better and surely is cheaper bought in bulk,than what we get at the minute.
Local experienced Dinner ladies who can show how it's done,local bar staff that can handle big queue's for alcohol,run a small operation for a small club,build it up steadily.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012