Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 02:43:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scunny show us...  (Read 7828 times)

raggytash

• Forum Member
Scunny show us...
« on August 18, 2014, 01:52:57 pm by raggytash »
How to sign half decent player again... They get half our gates but show twice the ambition of our piss poor board.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
Re: Scunny show us...
« Reply #1 on August 18, 2014, 01:58:30 pm by watto-drfc »
Another go at our board....boring.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 18, 2014, 02:08:40 pm by dickos1 »
Rubbish. Theyve just re-invested the money they got from winnall going.
Their wage bill is a lot lower than ours

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 18, 2014, 02:12:46 pm by watto-drfc »
There also not paying big wage earners to sit on there arses

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 18, 2014, 02:19:03 pm by GazLaz »
Neither are we. The reason they want to leave is because they are on little wages.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 18, 2014, 02:22:45 pm by raggytash »
My only problem with bramall and Baldwin is they show as much ambition as the Italian army in ww2... Bramall gave Leeds uni 14 million for a f......g library yet won't invest in a few decent players for the club which he owns????

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 18, 2014, 02:26:21 pm by IDM »
Tell you what raggytash, go find the "FFP rules" about someone funding a university library, then I'll find th football ones, and we'll compare chalk with cheese shall we?

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 18, 2014, 02:32:07 pm by raggytash »
Go and look at loopholes round it like the guy at fleetwood and Rotherham, it's easy to do if you can be bothered, anyway considering the state of the squad, do you think it's a quality squad with plenty of investment IDM? Do you fk.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 18, 2014, 02:41:44 pm by Filo »
Go and look at loopholes round it like the guy at fleetwood and Rotherham, it's easy to do if you can be bothered, anyway considering the state of the squad, do you think it's a quality squad with plenty of investment IDM? Do you fk.

There's no need to be aggressive when you post, those last three words are totally unnecessary

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 18, 2014, 02:48:03 pm by IDM »

I have my own thoughts and I think our squad is light.  However I do think overall we have better quality players than say Port Vale, but when those players don't perform well as a team we still get beat.  Throwing money at "better" players does not per se improve the results.

I could ask you to show me the figures that those clubs have spent against their incomes, but I have more important things in life to worry about to be honest.   You may be right, but you may just be making suppositions. 

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 18, 2014, 02:53:09 pm by raggytash »
Sorry for the last 3 but it's a figure of speach pal nowt personnel.. I like many can't understand many things going off with the playing side, there's certainly no ambition and dickovs already at it with the excuses, not much any of us can do so let's soldier on and hope I'm put wrong

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 18, 2014, 02:55:48 pm by IDM »
None taken...

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 18, 2014, 02:57:05 pm by dickos1 »
Bournemouth must have a found a massive loophole somewhere.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 18, 2014, 03:00:15 pm by VivaRovers »
Bramall gave Leeds uni 14 million for a f......g library yet won't invest in a few decent players for the club which he owns

Yeah, what a b*stard.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 18, 2014, 03:01:07 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Financial fair play doesn't actually come into it. It has more holes in it than a colander.
I have no idea of the relative wealth of Scunny's owner compared to TB and DW, but after two games he's seen there are issues and he's trying to sort it by spending money, which unfortunately is the only way in football. Hence why Man Utd are considering spending £100m on one player - because they're not good enough. And by League 2 standards Scunthorpe spent a small fortune last year in transfer fees. More than us in the Championship I believe.
Still, we're sustainable I suppose, so that's the main thing.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 18, 2014, 03:13:05 pm by GazLaz »
The £100m quoted for di Maria is a "£100m package" that's inclusive of transfer fee and wages for 5 years.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 18, 2014, 03:14:57 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Fair enough Gaz. You get my point though?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 18, 2014, 03:31:32 pm by GazLaz »
Yes I agree completely. If you want to get round FFP you can, the ones that do will tend to get better results than ones that don't.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 18, 2014, 03:37:43 pm by IDM »
There probably are loopholes, but what if the "investment" still doesn't work, do you continue ploughing extra cash in year on year hoping you don't get caught out?

As far as I can tell for league 1 FFP relates player wages to a % of turnover.  Now, what can go into "turnover" is another matter. 

If we can't afford to buy more players we certainly should IMHO be dipping into whatever contingency funds we have for a loanee to replace Main for the next month or so...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 18, 2014, 03:44:02 pm by silent majority »
Football is broken in this country. Attempts to try and create a system that is fair and creates some kind of stability, and ultimately sustainability, is derided by a few but welcomed by the majority. We need FFP.

The football league needs FFP. And to compare the PL and some of the biggest clubs in the world with a club like DRFC is crazy. The income streams they have are phenomenal, ours is almost non existent. The Glazers have never put any of their personal money into Manchester Utd, yet we keep insisting that our owners should. This doesn't make any sense.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 18, 2014, 03:44:15 pm by raggytash »
The bloke at fleetwood rents an office at the ground for 1.5 million a year!! How bents that but if it works why not?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 18, 2014, 03:52:52 pm by DRNaith »
The bloke at fleetwood rents an office at the ground for 1.5 million a year!! How bents that but if it works why not?

I bet that screws with the local zoopla figures!  ;)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 18, 2014, 04:18:10 pm by roversontheup »
I'm sure I'm in the minority on here but I don't expect TB and DW to throw millions more of their personal money into Rovers. They have stated their aims and have prioritised ensuring Rovers becomes a sustainable club in a way that will hopefully generate sufficient funds to enable it to progress. No guarantees because that's crystal ball territory.
We have a fan base of around 6/7 thousand.  Even forays into the Championship haven't exactly brought the Doncaster public stampeding to the Keepmoat. So there is no guarantee that were Rovers to become a top half Championship side we would be turning fans away at the the turnstiles.
I am comfortable knowing that our owners are looking after my club in such a philanthropic way. I think we will progress but am equally sure it won't be as quick as most want.
Rovers is my hobby and has been for over 50 years but I still don't expect others to fork out millions every season. I am patient enough to wait. Whatever league we play in will be ok for me. That's not negative, just realistic.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 18, 2014, 05:01:19 pm by aidanstu »
My only problem with bramall and Baldwin is they show as much ambition as the Italian army in ww2... Bramall gave Leeds uni 14 million for a f......g library yet won't invest in a few decent players for the club which he owns????

The very fact you would put football above supporting the education of thousands tells me everything I need to know about you.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 18, 2014, 05:11:47 pm by coventryrover »
I'm sure I'm in the minority on here but I don't expect TB and DW to throw millions more of their personal money into Rovers. They have stated their aims and have prioritised ensuring Rovers becomes a sustainable club in a way that will hopefully generate sufficient funds to enable it to progress. No guarantees because that's crystal ball territory.
We have a fan base of around 6/7 thousand.  Even forays into the Championship haven't exactly brought the Doncaster public stampeding to the Keepmoat. So there is no guarantee that were Rovers to become a top half Championship side we would be turning fans away at the the turnstiles.
I am comfortable knowing that our owners are looking after my club in such a philanthropic way. I think we will progress but am equally sure it won't be as quick as most want.
Rovers is my hobby and has been for over 50 years but I still don't expect others to fork out millions every season. I am patient enough to wait. Whatever league we play in will be ok for me. That's not negative, just realistic.

Great post, couldn't have put it etter myself

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 18, 2014, 05:13:00 pm by LincsRover »

Oh come on! You're talking far too much common sense for many on here! Pack it in!  ;)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 18, 2014, 05:22:05 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Personally, I don't think he is. 'Whatever league we play in is good enough for me' is total rubbish. IMO obviously.
League 1 is s**** compared to the Championship, so why should I want to watch the Rovers in League 1? I will obviously, because they're my team and also have been for 50 years.

I want us at the highest level we can possibly be. At this time, that is probably the Championship. However, I doubt it will happen unless we spend proper money. How much did we actually spend on actual transfers last season?? Next to nothing. We got relegated because we didn't spend any money (and we had a manager who was so naive he thought we could go and win away from home every week) and then we spent however much bringing players in on loan when we needed proper signings right from the start.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 18, 2014, 05:30:42 pm by Wellred »

Would you be just as happy if we find ourselves in league 2 next season?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 18, 2014, 05:43:56 pm by GazLaz »
When the revenue in the Championship is so much higher than L1, how can we not have a go to get there? Especially when we know exactly what is needed to get up having done it the last twice in this division. Anyone that thinks we are having a go this year is kidding themselves.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 18, 2014, 07:39:30 pm by mrfrostsdad »
We didn't need to 'have a go' Gaz, we were already there.
We lost £4m (approximately) in TV money through relegation. Had we spent £2m or £3m the chances are we would have stayed up. Having said that with Dickov as manager  it would never have been certain.

So, by not spending that money we lost what we lost. And no, I think it's safe to say we're hardly 'having a go' this year. Lose Jones now on top of Forrester, Main and possibly Wabara (hamstring) and we are truly ******.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012