Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:49:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps  (Read 14274 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Copps
« on August 23, 2014, 09:10:25 pm by Branton Rover »
said he'd enjoyed today's match as much as any he's played since Sean left. doesn't say much for Saunders & Flynn, still PD has found a role for him to get him on the ball more

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
Re: Copps
« Reply #1 on August 23, 2014, 09:20:21 pm by Donnyrovers »
He was quality today best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 23, 2014, 10:56:34 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Sounds like he's been given his freedom to roam about  and the others will cover for him

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 23, 2014, 10:59:22 pm by dknward2 »
If copps benno and forrester had freedom to roam (but cover if 2 go then 1 hold back) we could and should have an amazing counter attack

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 23, 2014, 11:12:31 pm by River Don »
I have noticed Copps hasn't had as many opportunities to get on the ball and run with it lately.

When Sean was here, I'm sure we used to see a lot more of him dribbling the ball through midfield.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 23, 2014, 11:17:27 pm by wilts rover »
Yes Branton it doesn't say much about Saunders, Copps got off the team coach on the way to Yeovil after about three games and went to sit on the bench at his boyhood club Nottingham Forest.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Copps
« Reply #6 on August 23, 2014, 11:41:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
That's some compliment from a player that's seen alot over the years. Maybe PD is learning and improving. PD may have found a formation but it takes time to estabish a philosophy.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 23, 2014, 11:54:18 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Years ago when DP was first rumoured to be after Copps   Daggers played Exeter   I swopped shifts to go and watch and it was obvious why he was after him, players like him turn up every once in a good few years.

Thanks for whats been and whats to come

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 24, 2014, 12:56:19 am by les@donr »
Copps is Rovers through and through. I hope one day he'll be the club manager.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 24, 2014, 01:07:54 am by RedArmy »
Yet people still question his loyalty

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 24, 2014, 01:17:11 am by Filo »
I have noticed Copps hasn't had as many opportunities to get on the ball and run with it lately.

When Sean was here, I'm sure we used to see a lot more of him dribbling the ball through midfield.

You missed that run from the halfway line against Preston that was reminiscent of his goals against Southend?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 24, 2014, 09:57:38 am by roversdude »
Think it needed Michael Mac leaving to make copps he relished the extra responsibility

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 24, 2014, 09:10:41 pm by the vicar »
He is loyal now and he is playing out of his skin, but he could not get of the bus quick enough when Forrest came calling

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 24, 2014, 09:31:28 pm by Donnyjim »
He is loyal now and he is playing out of his skin, but he could not get of the bus quick enough when Forrest came calling

I don't think he had a choice to be honest. They were desperate to cut the wage bill. I seem to remembering Copps saying he didn't want to leave.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:36:30 pm by Donnyjim »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 24, 2014, 11:36:42 pm by the vicar »
not what the other players said he couldn't get off quick enough he wanted a higher quality team i don't blame him like just makes me laugh when people shout loyalty

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 25, 2014, 12:45:02 am by VivaRovers »
...just makes me laugh when people shout loyalty

Aye, he's only been here for 411 games, the bloody turncoat.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 25, 2014, 01:08:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Funny int it? I've spent 10 years tearing out my stubble at Coppinger's inability to regularly make the right decision when the moment comes to relinquish control of the ball. He usually crosses when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass and passes when he should cross.

But if he HAD got that ability to pick the killer ball, we'd have seen him play no more than a slack handful of matches in the hoops. Because he'd have been in the top level for the past 10 years.

So I've come to accept that I' watching a flawed genius. The most talented player that I have ever seen playing for Donny. One who ghosts past defenders like the ball is glued to his foot. Then who puts a cross into a no-mans-land the size of Luxembourg.

But I still wouldn't have swapped him. It's been an honour and a privilege to watch him this past decade and it'll be some job to replace him when he's gone.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 25, 2014, 04:31:11 am by PDX_Rover »
Probably my all time favourite Rovers player in 40-odd years watching 'em. I'd challenge any football fan anywhere in the world to find me a better hat-trick than Copps' against Southend. Better than Bergkamp's famous one.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 25, 2014, 06:22:56 am by GazLaz »
Funny int it? I've spent 10 years tearing out my stubble at Coppinger's inability to regularly make the right decision when the moment comes to relinquish control of the ball. He usually crosses when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass and passes when he should cross.

But if he HAD got that ability to pick the killer ball, we'd have seen him play no more than a slack handful of matches in the hoops. Because he'd have been in the top level for the past 10 years.

So I've come to accept that I' watching a flawed genius. The most talented player that I have ever seen playing for Donny. One who ghosts past defenders like the ball is glued to his foot. Then who puts a cross into a no-mans-land the size of Luxembourg.

But I still wouldn't have swapped him. It's been an honour and a privilege to watch him this past decade and it'll be some job to replace him when he's gone.

That sums him up perfectly, quality player who's final ball is poor and who's finishing is worse. Technically an absolute little master though.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 25, 2014, 07:58:10 am by andyst79 »
Best 1st touch outside of Prem & not bad in the air either for his size.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 25, 2014, 08:52:39 am by jonnydog »
How many more games has he got to go to break the club record?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 25, 2014, 09:13:34 am by The Red Baron »
Following Saturday's game:

Colin Douglas      468
Fred Emery         438
Bert Tindill          429
James Coppinger  411

Given that he has a good fitness record he should overtake Tindill and Emery this season and could overtake Dougie before next Christmas.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Copps
« Reply #22 on August 25, 2014, 09:38:30 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
When he's on his game there's nothing better than seeing those jaw dropping pieces of skill. Without blinding pace, he leaves many a player on their arse feeling rather fooiish. Copp that!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 25, 2014, 11:21:58 am by GazLaz »
I bet he seriously does look a world beater in training.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 25, 2014, 11:31:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I once read a biography of Len Hutton. The foreword was written by his son, Richard. He said that his dad was a slight, quiet, physically I imposing man. When he used to go to watch his dad play, he always had a knot of fear in his stomach that he would be intimidated by bigger, stronger players. If not physically hurt, then at least technically overpowered and broken. And then he'd come home every night wondering what he'd been worried about, after his dad had quietly and elegantly dismembered yet another bowling attack.

It's a bit line that watching Coppinger. He doesn't rely on searing pace or physical strength and I regularly expect him to be out-physicalled by some athlete of a defender. I expect him to be kicked into row Z or just out-run.

And then he sets off on one of those dribbles where the ball is never more than an inch off his toe, or he plays a 1-2 where he teleports between three hairy arsed defenders between the give and the get and is suddenly in ten yards of space. And you realise that you are watching a genius whose brain operates 50% faster than the opponents'. 

An utter joy to watch when he's on form, regardless of his final ball. The way he's started this year it looks like we could see one of his best ever seasons.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 25, 2014, 11:43:15 am by Canadian Rover »
I bet he seriously does look a world beater in training.

Ricky Ravenhill told me Copps is jaw dropping with some of the stuff he does in training.  He said Copps is so skilful it's frightening.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 25, 2014, 12:59:56 pm by Red wizard »
Master class at times. Had Messi or Ronaldo do some of the dribbles,flicks,and tricks and goals Copps has we would never hear the end of it. If he could cross and finish he'd of played in the prem many years ago. A true great for DRFC and will be spoke about like A jeffery's is today in years to come. Start making the statue now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012