Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:27:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: PR initiatives  (Read 4390 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
PR initiatives
« on October 09, 2014, 11:48:53 am by roverstillidie91 »
I was just thinking this morning regarding the low attendances and everything at Rovers.

Was thinking about perhaps some initiatives to create some positive for Rovers in the public domain to show us as a community club.. not that we aren't but I have one here.

1) Everyone who has experienced it.. I have. For members of the public who have been out of work and are on the dole and times are hard with finances and stuff. We could have a potential low turn out game where for non-season ticket holders we provide a discounted ticket for people on JSA etc. Could be a good initiative and would get us some excellent PR especially in Doncaster Free Press?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
Re: PR initiatives
« Reply #1 on October 09, 2014, 11:58:29 am by DRNaith »
What about free entry for service personnel?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 09, 2014, 12:22:41 pm by Boomstick »
I was just thinking this morning regarding the low attendances and everything at Rovers.

Was thinking about perhaps some initiatives to create some positive for Rovers in the public domain to show us as a community club.. not that we aren't but I have one here.

1) Everyone who has experienced it.. I have. For members of the public who have been out of work and are on the dole and times are hard with finances and stuff. We could have a potential low turn out game where for non-season ticket holders we provide a discounted ticket for people on JSA etc. Could be a good initiative and would get us some excellent PR especially in Doncaster Free Press?
Never gonna fly.
I work full time - 50 hours a week and pay tax which goes towards welfare, I also pay full price for a season ticket.
Why should someone on the dole (who I pay for with taxes) get cheap tickets, whilst I pay full price with the money I have EARNED that Is left over after tax. (The tax that goes towards funding welfare spending)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 09, 2014, 12:31:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We've had this debate before. Personnally I have no issue with discounted tickets for people less fortunate. Many years ago I benefited from cheaper entry when producing my UB40. In know there are those who might object. 

There are also discounted tickets available via those Purple Voucher booklets and there have been vouchers in other publications, not sure how recently though.

As a ST holder I'm in favour as long as it helps the club and it's not abused by those who can pay.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 09, 2014, 12:39:27 pm by RobTheRover »
The suggestion is for one game, Boomer.  Surely you can find a tiny shred of empathy in the rock where your heart should be for the unemployed fellow rovers fan out there who would love to come to a match but cant afford to?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 09, 2014, 12:39:57 pm by Wild Rover »

Never gonna fly.
I work full time - 50 hours a week and pay tax which goes towards welfare, I also pay full price for a season ticket.
Why should someone on the dole (who I pay for with taxes) get cheap tickets, whilst I pay full price with the money I have EARNED that Is left over after tax. (The tax that goes towards funding welfare spending)

Well aren't you a hero.

What about someone who is Unable to work ( illness or whatever ) and gets £60 odd a week to clothe, feed, transport himself , but wants to watch DRFC on a (semi )regular basis , they should have the opportunity so to do.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 09, 2014, 12:43:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Never gonna fly.

Well aren't you a hero.

What about someone who is Unable to work ( illness or whatever ) and gets £60 odd a week to clothe, feed, transport himself , but wants to watch DRFC on a (semi )regular basis , they should have the opportunity so to do.

Would they not get disabled tickets in that case?

I'm not for offering cheap tickets to the unemployed, it's not something I as such am for, but there are many other intitiatives that could be good ideas and anyone who wants to get involved I would suggest they attend the meetings the club are setting up regarding ticketing etc, including those who believe in a cheaper unemployed ticket.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 09, 2014, 12:49:26 pm by IDM »
I am a full price regular adult ST holder (OK I got the early bird price :) ) but I have no objection to a concession category for the unemployed.  A bum on a seat is still a bum on a seat whether it is a full adult, OAP, student, quid a kid etc.

Make folks feel welcome so that when they are back in employment they may afford to come and pay regular prices?

As for Boomer, well, I would think that most unemployed people will have worked before/will work again and their taxes will pay in part for your state pension, kids education, NHS treatment etc - what goes around comes around eh?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 09, 2014, 12:50:11 pm by wing commander »

This always makes me cringe and I'm ex service personel...We all choose our career paths and I don't see why they should get in free?? Nobody ever rewards the working man who does countless hours supporting there family's...Sorry Naith but that's one of my pet hates....

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 09, 2014, 01:18:02 pm by DRNaith »

This always makes me cringe and I'm ex service personel...We all choose our career paths and I don't see why they should get in free?? Nobody ever rewards the working man who does countless hours supporting there family's...Sorry Naith but that's one of my pet hates....

That's fine, if nothing else, this forum shows that people have wide and varied opinions. My Dad's ex-military too.  I just thought, as per the OP, it would make good PR.

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 09, 2014, 01:47:17 pm by AlonzoDrake »

Never gonna fly.

I fear our friend's silliness will only expand in posting such pointless posts as there will be little to discuss over the next 9 days before the next game. Gird your loins for more agent provocateur stuff as Mad Micky gets bored.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 09, 2014, 01:54:25 pm by auckleyflyer »
service personnel get very well paid thank you very much! if they want to watch football they can afford it!!!
extending the age to 21 for young persons tickets??
set price of 2.50 for 12 and under.
scrap differing match and seat catogries until supply outstrips demand?? and charge one price.
lets people know where they stand! i.e. dad and 2 kids know whatever the game its £30 easy?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 09, 2014, 02:02:05 pm by DRNaith »
Flippin' 'eck, do you never give a gift to someone that they could afford themselves?

I thought it would be good PR that's all.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 09, 2014, 02:26:36 pm by wing commander »
They like firemen already get free entry into a number of clubs and leisure facilities..I did 6 years in the navy,served in the first gulf war but I don't see why that entitles me to get into Rovers for nothing as opposed to a guy who works 50 hours in a factory...And like what has been said if they had any interest in Rovers they would have already been able to afford to give it a go....

Not having a go at you mate,your just spinning ideas round,i just don't agree with that one that's all...

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 09, 2014, 03:04:35 pm by Muttley »

And nurses, doctors, firemen, teachers, postmen, bus drivers...where do you draw the line?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 09, 2014, 03:51:09 pm by Filo »

And nurses, doctors, firemen, teachers, postmen, bus drivers...where do you draw the line?

Taxi drivers by the looks of it!

:)

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 09, 2014, 03:52:04 pm by bedale rover »

Yes nurses!

That means me! Free season ticket please?

courtney haddock-lately

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 09, 2014, 04:00:23 pm by courtney haddock-lately »
Just do what they do for the dons free youth season ticket with every adult one.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 09, 2014, 04:50:30 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Well I think it is a great idea. Something silent_majority could propose?

Could perhaps give unemployed fans say £5 to come and watch just 1 game?

Then at least if it worked well then perhaps when they get back into work it may entice them to come and watch them.

We do need initiatives as whenever the Keepmoat gets a crowd of around 6,000 it does look really empty and could do with initiatives like this.

I don't see why people always think people on the dole have loads of money because trust me they don't. Think of a single person/couple £70 to £140 ish a week. They have to pay for food, gas, electric, tv license and everything else.

Just thought it be a good thought and for someone who doesn't get to do anything in a week it may brighten up someones weekly schedule?

Then if someone gets a job then they can get a discounted ticket but for £15 that time. Kind of a motivating factor to get a job especially if they enjoy football.

People probably don't all like my suggestion but I just thought it may be an excellent initiative. And to ensure it makes its way into newspaper.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 09, 2014, 04:55:30 pm by roverstillidie91 »

Never gonna fly.

Well aren't you a hero.

Would they not get disabled tickets in that case?

I'm not for offering cheap tickets to the unemployed, it's not something I as such am for, but there are many other intitiatives that could be good ideas and anyone who wants to get involved I would suggest they attend the meetings the club are setting up regarding ticketing etc, including those who believe in a cheaper unemployed ticket.

What is wrong with making suggesions on here? Suggest how someone on £53 or £70 a week can afford a ticket at £23?

I have to pay £23 quid a game, just got a new job only temporary so I could be on the dole in 6 months time but with running a house and everything it is really expensive. to take my girlfriend it costs £46 quid and I went to the Port Vale game and the game was lost in 30 minutes.

We need initiatives to get the attendances up. I think it is mainly the price in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:58:29 pm by roverstillidie91 »

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 09, 2014, 04:58:22 pm by glosterred »

To late to do that I've already bought my season ticket

COYR

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 09, 2014, 05:07:45 pm by IDM »
Also the old cliche of playing well and winning football matches would most likely bring more folks in.  Even on tight budgets, folks may prioritise to take in a game or two.

I'm in favour of offers, happy to see more bums on seats.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 09, 2014, 05:11:49 pm by silent majority »
We discussed various deals with the club at our recent meeting and I have no objection to discussing these ideas with them in more detail.

It's already acknowledged that we have quite a few games coming up which are a) close together and b) just before Christmas. Shaun and myself discussed it further just this afternoon and he does have some ideas and hopes to announce something soon.

He will be at the Retford AGM tonight and will answer questions, but he may not be able to confirm anything other than that the club are willing and able to do something.

As far as the VSC is concerned we will be making tickets available where we can for those suffering hardship or ill health. Our plan to help Firefly has hit the buffers simply because they don't respond to our emails, so maybe helping out some needy cause could be the way? It won't be vast numbers, but we are always happy to listen to ideas from our members.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 09, 2014, 06:10:39 pm by acko »
just a thought would the club still have to pay tax by declaring a crowd of say 10000 and stating only 5000 paid+it would be open to abuse

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 09, 2014, 08:21:30 pm by auckleyflyer »
Wing commander, i was there also in 91 on the Exeter. Did 9yrs.
good fun and the best electrical engineering training in the world! Set me up for life.
the whole help for heros, free entry for service personnel thing is just embarrassing.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 09, 2014, 10:19:04 pm by BobG »
I suspect it's all those guilty consciences Auckley - trying to wash away the guilt for letting some other poor sod do all the dirty work. I loath all that help for heroes crap. I have yet to hear one valid reason why people injured in a war are different/more deserving/better than folk injured down the pit, in a car crash or smuggling drugs. They're all just people plain and simple. They should all be treated alike.......

BobG

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 09, 2014, 11:19:02 pm by IDM »
Well the armed forces (and you could argue firefighters and police) do go and put their lives in risk, in hostile environments.

You could make the point that the "heroes" are the ones who don't come back.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 09, 2014, 11:59:18 pm by BobG »
Agreed IDM. But isn't a mile or two underground a pretty hostile environment too? Not everyone does or did that I agree. Why not racing drivers? That was always a hostile environment. Or jockeys. Or boxers. It's the double standard, the political correctness, that gets me.

BobG

PS And I work in a place where there are plenty of damn good military types around all day long too.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 10, 2014, 12:51:42 am by German Rover »

As a serving member of the Amex forces, I can safely say that firemen can f**k right off. Spend half their time driving round town centres on Friday and Saturday night and the other half at their second jobs. Then when the decide they need more and go on strike who covers for them in second rate equipment? We bloody do!

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 10, 2014, 01:18:26 am by podrover73 »

As a serving member of the Amex forces, I can safely say that firemen can f*** right off. Spend half their time driving round town centres on Friday and Saturday night and the other half at their second jobs. Then when the decide they need more and go on strike who covers for them in second rate equipment? We bloody do!
I would start praying your house doesn't catch fire 🔥 I am sure they will be rushing round

TinyPortal © 2005-2012