Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:36:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens Calls for Winning Mentality  (Read 3508 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Wellens Calls for Winning Mentality
« on October 11, 2014, 04:29:05 pm by bobjimwilly »
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/wellens-calls-for-winning-mentality-2006338.aspx

We’ve got to be looking at the top six. It’s if we can keep all the players fit. I’m starting to feel good about myself now so hopefully we'll be in and around the play offs

Awww, that's good to hear Richie.   :facepalm:

We don’t think we've had a great start so we've just got to defend better and stop conceding silly goals and we'll win more games.

We might have had a better start if you weren't crying into your milk and refusing to play and made a commitment to the club instead?

Rant over...

:whistle:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:05:24 pm by bobjimwilly »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Wellens Calls for Winning Mentality
« Reply #1 on October 11, 2014, 04:33:53 pm by bpoolrover »
Did he refuse to play or would pd not pick him

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 11, 2014, 05:04:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
Did he refuse to play or would pd not pick him

PD didn't pick him because he wouldn't commit to the club ie he activated his release clause. I wouldn't blame PD on that though, he made the correct decision IMO.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 11, 2014, 05:05:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You can't blame a bloke for thinking he'd got more ambition than the club, given the circumstances. If that was the case, of course...

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 11, 2014, 05:08:47 pm by bobjimwilly »
Disagree BB. There's the right way to do things and the wrong way. We could have done with him on the field in August, not sat at home waiting for a phone call.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 11, 2014, 05:09:53 pm by bpoolrover »
But can you blame him for activating his release clause

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 11, 2014, 05:17:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Perhaps he didn't think the boards way was the right way. Let's not forget there seemed to be a back-track in policy when Coppinger was unexpectedly re-signed.

Wellens was right in my opinion when he suggested the youngters weren't good enough. They're not.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Wellens
« Reply #7 on October 11, 2014, 05:36:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I applaud what Wellens is saying. We need to raise the bar and he is the talisman who can help the rest raise their game.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 11, 2014, 05:57:23 pm by DonnyNoel »
The Scunny game showed our midfield can be a class above at this level (and with Keegan and Bennett on the bench there's a bit of depth there too). If we can make sure our tactics involves keeping it on the deck and playing through the midfield then I would think top 10 beckons.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 11, 2014, 05:58:31 pm by dickos1 »
You can't blame wellens, his offer of a new contract didn't materialise.
He trained everyday but Dickov didn't want to pick him, Dickov should've picked him in my opinion as we weren't in a position to cope without him

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Wellens
« Reply #10 on October 11, 2014, 06:10:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think there was a gentlemens agreement between them out of respect of each others wishes. It worked out well for PD and us and now it's up RW to show he's committed. The signs so far are good so we have to take it all as shrewd management in the first place.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 11, 2014, 06:22:47 pm by bpoolrover »
Don't think there is any doubt he is commited,he is coming up to the end of his footballing career and wanted a decent contract,it's no different than any person would do

DRFCTom

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 11, 2014, 07:35:12 pm by DRFCTom »
This is potentially going to be his last decent pay out as a footballer, after all he is human and i'm certain almost 90% of us would of done the same, even more so with having families to provide for. If he went I'd of said good luck but now he's stayed I'm sure I speak for all of us that I'm over the moon he's here for one last ride with us.

Wellens and de val in the middle I believe could be the difference this season if they get picked regularly together.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 11, 2014, 07:42:42 pm by silent majority »
Don't think there is any doubt he is commited,he is coming up to the end of his footballing career and wanted a decent contract,it's no different than any person would do

But he signed a contract in January which had a clause in it that would mean a pay cut if we were relegated. So what's wrong with that? It's OK for everybody else to suffer the same but not him?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's here but he's earned good money from DRFC, over and above others, but there comes a point where he has to deliver.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 11, 2014, 07:51:55 pm by bpoolrover »
While u may be right about the same as others,I don't think you can say he has to deliver as he has been outstanding every time he wears the hoops

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 11, 2014, 07:52:35 pm by bpoolrover »
And did keegan not do the same?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 11, 2014, 07:54:44 pm by IDM »
But didn't that same contract also have a release clause?  If RW activated that, he has operated within the terms of his contract, surely?  As did others, so the problem is what?

He could have then moved on, so PD didn't pick him to avoid building a team that included RW only for him to leave suddenly.

Now he has signed again, it's all about what happens on the pitch,  From what I have seen, I would say he is delivering, and from this latest interview, motivated too.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 11, 2014, 07:58:09 pm by bobjimwilly »

Quinn did the same, which didn't quite work for him in the end.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 11, 2014, 08:14:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Quinn did the same, which didn't quite work for him in the end.

But am I right in saying Quinn didn't turn up for training, whereas Wellens did?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 12, 2014, 08:59:21 am by The Red Baron »
Strikes me that this is just what we need- a senior player setting out what is needed. Rovers lack leadership on the field and maybe Wellens is the man to provide it.

My first viewings of him this season made me wonder if he'd shot his bolt but he was back to something near his best on Tuesday night. He seems to appreciate De Val playing in the deeper role which enables him to work further forward. I don't think Dickov thought that the two could operate in the same side, but the penny seems to have dropped that they definitely can.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 12, 2014, 04:00:43 pm by RJHeader »
Wellens does an interview in the press and gets slated on here. Absolute shocker. :suicide:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Wellens
« Reply #21 on October 12, 2014, 04:28:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
You must be reading something different to the rest of us.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 12, 2014, 04:40:23 pm by steve@dcfd »

But he signed a contract in January which had a clause in it that would mean a pay cut if we were relegated. So what's wrong with that? It's OK for everybody else to suffer the same but not him?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's here but he's earned good money from DRFC, over and above others, but there comes a point where he has to deliver.

Our worst performances have come when he as not been in the side our best performances when he is in the side. He could score more goals but that goes for all our central midfield players if PD picks the right combination of players it will be good for our side and we should see an improvement.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 12, 2014, 05:42:22 pm by RJHeader »
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/wellens-calls-for-winning-mentality-2006338.aspx

We’ve got to be looking at the top six. It’s if we can keep all the players fit. I’m starting to feel good about myself now so hopefully we'll be in and around the play offs

Awww, that's good to hear Richie.   :facepalm:

We don’t think we've had a great start so we've just got to defend better and stop conceding silly goals and we'll win more games.

We might have had a better start if you weren't crying into your milk and refusing to play and made a commitment to the club instead?

Rant over...

:whistle:

I just cant believe you've come out and posted this. Really does seem petty and needless. You do know he plays for us dont you? Support him ffs. Whatever happened in the summer happened. He's signed his contract and he plays for us.

I could understand this if he'd left and you wanted to stick the knife in or something. But this is just pathetic

TinyPortal © 2005-2012