Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:51:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Rugby  (Read 5228 times)

neil grainger

The Rugby
« on February 06, 2015, 10:11:58 pm by neil grainger »
I don't understand rugby, I don't like rugby.

But with all the hype leading up to tonight's opening 6-Nations game between Wales & England at the Millennium Stadium (with all the wonderful memories that evokes) I decided I had to settle down, switch on, tune in and give it a chance.

What a disappointment.

A few years ago, when we started seeing these annoying '3-D' advertisements pasted onto the perimeters of footy pitches, which when viewed on telly appeared to be actual hoardings sitting behind the goals at either side, I remember saying to my Missus......"Just watch this, it will be the thin end of the wedge. Before you know it, there will be adverts on the actual field of play".

"Don't be daft" my beloved replied, and to be honest I didn't really believe what I'd said. I was just being daft, it would never happen, it would be completely ridiculous and unacceptable....

Fast forward to tonight's rugby match between Wales and England.
In the MIDDLE of the pitch.....I mean, RIGHT IN THE RUDDY MIDDLE, is a huge RBS logo.

This beggars belief.

It's the thin end of the wedge made horribly thicker.

We've had it now. Cue adverts in the penalty areas at televised footy matches...

The centre circle at the FA Cup Final displaying the 'COKE' logo.
Sponsors' logos in that precious area between the goalposts......perhaps the logo will flash on and off when the ball crosses the goal line?

I despair, I really do.

And I'm none the wiser regarding Rugby and it's stupid rules after watching the Wales-England match.

What a ridiculous sport....... ;)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:14:00 pm by neil grainger »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: The Rugby
« Reply #1 on February 06, 2015, 10:14:02 pm by glosterred »
But it is always good to beat the Welsh, especially so on their home patch

#Swing low

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2015, 10:28:39 pm by GazLaz »
Anyone celebrating beating Wales at anything other than a sheep shagging contest should be ashamed.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2015, 10:32:32 pm by IDM »
I'm sorry you don't get it Neil...

The ads on the pitch have been around in Rugby, for years.  It does make the players look like extras from Braveheart sometimes. if they faceplant the painted turf.

As for the game itself, I thought it was an exciting game - tight, but England had the edge.  Before the game the hype had Wales as favourite, but apart from a few decent performances by some of their stars, they disappointed.

For sure I can see why you don't get it, if you are not familiar with rugby, but then again we could make the same argument against a spectator who says negative things about a football game where they rarely watch.

The rugby wasn't stunningly exciting, flowing play, but it was attritional and very watchable.

neil grainger

« Reply #4 on February 06, 2015, 10:53:24 pm by neil grainger »
IDM, my post was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek and I do recognise that not getting rugby is my loss!

I did actually enjoy the game and I know that if I understood the rules I'd enjoy it a whole lot more.

What I do respect about the game is the honest endeavour of the players, the lack of cheating, feigning injury, or constantly trying to con the ref.
How refreshing to see two sets of sportsmen just getting stuck in and playing the game in the way it was intended.

In that respect, I take my hat off to players and supporters of the sport......I think I'm jealous!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 06, 2015, 11:15:49 pm by RobTheRover »
Cracking match.  As a former player (both codes) I really enjoyed it.  It did appear that England had to beat the ref a couple of times too, but as long as you call the ref "Sir" then you are OK.

neil grainger

« Reply #6 on February 06, 2015, 11:23:02 pm by neil grainger »
But why can't they afford nets on the goal posts Rob?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 06, 2015, 11:26:47 pm by IDM »
Cracking match.  As a former player (both codes) I really enjoyed it.  It did appear that England had to beat the ref a couple of times too, but as long as you call the ref "Sir" then you are OK.

Not sure why they pulled up England for "crossing" or obstruction to cancel the late try - there are always several similar occurrences in the match that don't get noticed?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 06, 2015, 11:39:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ahh. Rugby Union.

I fondly recall the outpouring of middle class glee when England won the World Cup. The letters pages of the broadsheets for months full of letters from Col Backbone of Chalfont St Giles reflecting on how the fact that "we" had won the Rugby World Cup (sic) and not the Soccer one was due to the fundamentally finer nature of our middle class, compared to those horrid working class oils who play the other game.

It culminated with Jilly Cooper writing a long article in the Sunday Times about how the fact that Swing Low, a negro spiritual song was the English Rugby (sic) anthem showed the multicultural nature if the sports.

Daft bat. It became popular because monobrows with a 70 IQ used to sing it while swinging their b*llocks around in the changing room after a game.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 06, 2015, 11:42:31 pm by RobTheRover »
We used to sing it in the minibus to away games (complete with actions)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 07, 2015, 08:50:18 am by Donnywolf »
Anyone celebrating beating Wales at anything other than a sheep shagging contest should be ashamed.

Well pencil me in for being shamed then

I don't care about us beating them at anything as they are inconsequential at most other sports BUT their hatred of us at Rugby Union and their massive desire to beat us (cheered on by most of Scotland of course makes THIS GAME one I am always desperate that we win

Putting up with Max Boyce through the 70's will live with me till the day I die (look him up on Youtube if you don't know what he did/does)

So even if we now lose every other game in the 6 Nations this Season I wont mind - we won the one that matters to me

Ashamed ? Not a bit of it !
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:57:19 am by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 07, 2015, 09:02:57 am by Donnywolf »

A few years ago, when we started seeing these annoying '3-D' advertisements pasted onto the perimeters of footy pitches, which when viewed on telly appeared to be actual hoardings sitting behind the goals at either side, I remember saying to my Missus......"Just watch this, it will be the thin end of the wedge. Before you know it, there will be adverts on the actual field of play".

"Don't be daft" my beloved replied, and to be honest I didn't really believe what I'd said. I was just being daft, it would never happen, it would be completely ridiculous and unacceptable....

Hi Neil

That bit reminds me of my dearly departed Wolves Born but dyed in the Wool Rovers Fan Dad !

Every year we would argue whilst watching Wimbledon about Balls being in that were out and vice versa. Even going back to the Borg McEnroe era he used to say " what they need is sensors in the lines and then they will know for sure whether each ball is in or out " Oh how I used to laugh (every year the same) and yes although they use Hawkeye not under Court wiring I would have to admit he was right and my scorn was misplaced

Hope he is looking down and can see he was right all along ! A Mike and the Mechanics moment

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 07, 2015, 09:07:56 am by IDM »
It became popular because monobrows with a 70 IQ used to sing it while swinging their b*llocks around in the changing room after a game.

Must be popular at Oakwell then too ;)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 07, 2015, 09:15:32 am by idler »
A Balby lad called Bob Grady moved there with the RAF and married and settled there near Cardiff.
He worked on the railways down there and when Wales were at their lowest ebb he went to work with a wooden spoon in his top pocket and a smile.
He got a lot of nasty looks but only one lady asked why he had it only to be bollocked by her husband who explained the significance as they walked away.
He sadly died but did make the JPT trophy final with his sticks and wore his Rovers shirt with pride on holidays all over the world. :scarf:

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2015, 09:27:09 am by grayx »
I enjoyed the game, but can you imagine the stick rugby fans would give footballers if they were stood in the tunnel refusing to come out first? How embarrassing was that?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2015, 10:15:40 am by Bentley Bullet »
Puffs game. Well it was a school anyway. For many 12 year old lads it was the first experience of physical contact and some of them got a little excited by it. There was no better position to witness this than Hooker.

I was a hooker.

My job was to 'swing low' in the centre of the scrum and try to hook the ball back with my heels, while my team mates behind me pulled my shorts down and took it in turns to pinch my arse. Next thing I'd be lying there at the bottom of a pile of kids, rolling in agony with squashed knackers and my shorts round my ankles.

It was at that precise moment when I yearned for the round ball game as I waited for someone to come and carry me home.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2015, 10:26:32 am by Filo »
I got sent off in my first school team game for knocking an opponents front teeth out

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2015, 11:39:22 am by Donnywolf »
I got sent off in my first school team game for knocking an opponents front teeth out

I never made it to the School Team but was sent off during a routine Class Game for "having no interest" according to the Sports Master. Used to be Eddie Beaglehole but on this day it was not

In those days the whole concept was get the ball - kick it into touch - get a Line Out and get some mug to throw the ball in (straight) - win the ball and repeat the whole process again and again and again

This day I was the mug and it was freezing cold and my hands were dropping off. On the millionth throw (at least it felt that many) I simply picked up the ball and tossed it down the Line Out sarcastically *. The whistle blew and I was asked if I had any interest whatsoever in playing on. I said NO and was despatched to the Changing Rooms and fortunately no further sanctions followed

* You have to imagine a sarcastic throw somewhat !

Months or perhaps a year later and when it was much sunnier obviously I was sent off at Cricket ! We fielded first and kept the other side down to a reasonable total. I opened the Batting and was doing well on 44 not out when I was sent off because I was not wearing Pads (s**t). 

I knew I had none on but it was competitive for the opening spots and I almost ran to the Wicket to get on strike. Could have been my first 50 but I need not have worried I did get 72 many years later so I would have had a career record of 2 x 50's.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:41:45 am by Donnywolf »

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 07, 2015, 11:48:51 am by roversontheup »
I loved it all last night. Great build up, fantastic atmosphere. Doubt you can beat the Millenium Stadium atmosphere anywhere else in the world. I went to watch All Blacks v Wales there a few months ago and the atmosphere inside and outside the stadium was electric.

Last nights match was good too. Confess I wasn't too optimistic at half time but thought our boys were much the better side in the second half. But nervy last 7 minutes!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 07, 2015, 11:50:56 am by Filo »
The game I was sent off in was the 'A' team game, the 'B' team game was straight after, I got sent off after about 10 mins and ended up playing for the 'B' team straight after with strict instructions to behave myself :)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 07, 2015, 12:22:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Doubt you can beat the Millenium Stadium atmosphere anywhere else in the world.

Absolutely true and Boo to the English for blocking the closing of the roof

Millennium over Wembley for atmosphere every time for me

And Donnywolf - Max Boyce's genius lives on outside of his beloved Rugby - to be heard at every Swansea City game (Hymns and Arias)

Since moving back from the Netherlands I have had to change my tag-line on this site to 'Probably the only Plaid Cymru voting Dutch speaking Donny fan living in County Down'. I may have a few problems when Wales play Ireland in March - they don't like flags very much over here   :(

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 07, 2015, 01:42:01 pm by RobTheRover »
I played tight head prop at Union at school,  and my old PE teacher taught me to nut the nose of the opposition hooker as you engage,  then hold him down with your shoulder so the ref can't see his face is a sea of snot and blood.

Thank you,  Dave Hall.  Top bloke.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 07, 2015, 06:26:25 pm by The Red Baron »
Wolfie

I too grew up in the era of Welsh dominance over England at rugby, so it is always sweet to win in their back yard. It didn't help that my best friend at school was Welsh and although he was more into football (Weeds United, sadly) his dad was mad keen on rugby. So every time England played Wales we got the full Max Boyce treatment.

PS. We were even "treated" to a Max Boyce album by my friend's dad. Sad to say I may even have said piece of vinyl somewhere.

PPS. BST may be aware that in Wales rugby union is very much a game of the masses- something which adds extra spice to a game against the "posh English." Although "rugger" is often associated with public schools, it was in fact the staple game of Grammar Schools and the more minor public ones. Many of the top public schools have continued with the Association game over the years.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:32:27 pm by The Red Baron »

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 07, 2015, 07:18:57 pm by Savvy »
England only started playing in the second half, first half was full of the one man stick it up the jumper stuff they have sadly been associated with.  Devoid of a half back pairing that has any creativity or invention they seldom seem to be able to mix the play up and keep the ball alive.

Its only a matter of time before Youngs gets someone hurt with the type of delayed/hospital passes he makes, surprised someone hasn't had a word with him in the dressing room!!!!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 08, 2015, 03:04:57 pm by The Red Baron »
I chanced upon some highlights of an England v Wales game from 1999. What struck me was how much more open the game was than it is now. My big problem with rugby union as it is now is that there is far too much rucking and mauling (loose scrummaging, if you prefer), too much emphasis on goal kicking and not enough back play. That game from 15 years ago had enough of the latter to keep me watching - even if Wales fluked a win in the end!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 08, 2015, 06:14:53 pm by German Rover »
I chanced upon some highlights of an England v Wales game from 1999. What struck me was how much more open the game was than it is now. My big problem with rugby union as it is now is that there is far too much rucking and mauling (loose scrummaging, if you prefer), too much emphasis on goal kicking and not enough back play. That game from 15 years ago had enough of the latter to keep me watching - even if Wales fluked a win in the end!

I play rugby and I'm a forward so I love rucking and mauling.  hurts a bit but its great fun, battering each other half to death and then having a good session in the bar after.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 08, 2015, 08:16:23 pm by Donnywolf »

I play rugby and I'm a forward so I love rucking and mauling.  hurts a bit but its great fun, battering each other half to death and then having a good session in the bar after.

I'd prefer to skip the pain bit and go straight to the Bar !

I'd probably do the same with Table Tennis though and skip the action and go straight to the Bar

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 08, 2015, 09:30:17 pm by The Red Baron »

Must admit, I was looking at rugby as a spectator sport rather than from a participant's point of view.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 08, 2015, 11:30:16 pm by BobG »
Too much bloody kicking too. I don't know why Union bothers with three quarters at all tbh.

Cheers

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 09, 2015, 10:11:54 am by GazLaz »
Is there a sport that requires less skill? I say that having played a lot of them. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012