Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:49:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Summer bulls..t from the board  (Read 13707 times)

acko

• Forum Member
Re: Summer bulls..t from the board
« Reply #60 on April 24, 2015, 05:52:56 pm by acko »
so did sod+ getting sack wth 2 teams in hopeless positions baron but people think he was a great manager.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 24, 2015, 06:25:08 pm by The Red Baron »
so did sod+ getting sack wth 2 teams in hopeless positions baron but people think he was a great manager.

We never went down under SO'D. I'll admit we were heading that way when he was sacked, but we didn't go down while he was manager.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 24, 2015, 06:34:10 pm by acko »
your right but I was talking Bournemouth,+Bristol city and rovers

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 24, 2015, 06:50:54 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Very good of you BJW to pick that piece out of the VSC statement when John left.
What about the first paragraph that quite openly slated him and caused a lot of consternation on here, even from VSC members. Have you forgotten about that?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on April 24, 2015, 06:52:29 pm by idler »
At the time SOD was sacked we were losing but at least playing football. We were very unlucky to lose to Notts Forest who brought Ishmael Miller on as sub who they had spent a million on.
I left that game thinking that our fans must have been happier with the performance than theirs. They scored with just about their only chance, it could have been a performance from this season except that it was entertaining.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 24, 2015, 07:14:49 pm by acko »
the point in question idler was that sod had a relegation on his cv before rovers signed him,and not everybody shared your views on sod with his crab style of play

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 24, 2015, 07:29:00 pm by idler »
I'm not saying that I wasn't disappointed with results but we were competing and playing football. Two aspects that have sadly been lacking at home this season all too often.
Some managers take teams down and then perform well elsewhere.
There's every chance Sean Dyche will take Burnley down this season but do you think that he's a bad manager? I don't.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 24, 2015, 07:33:41 pm by acko »
trouble at home idler as not just been this season it wasn't great in our promotion season under saunders and Flynn,same last season,maybe the blackbank idea might be the answer I don't know

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 24, 2015, 07:45:34 pm by idler »
I've certainly had my share of miserable drives home in the past three seasons.
I just hope that it's time for a change. :scarf:
It certainly needs addressing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on April 24, 2015, 10:08:45 pm by dickos1 »
I'm not saying that I wasn't disappointed with results but we were competing and playing football. Two aspects that have sadly been lacking at home this season all too often.
Some managers take teams down and then perform well elsewhere.
There's every chance Sean Dyche will take Burnley down this season but do you think that he's a bad manager? I don't.

Sod was the greatest manager we've had and I didn't want him sacked but those 7 games that season were terrible

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 24, 2015, 10:13:02 pm by The Red Baron »
I thought the first three games of that season we played well and had nothing go our way. Admittedly after that we were poor.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 24, 2015, 10:20:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The problem with SOD was he spent all the budget on the first team, and it didn't even stretch to the bench. When a player got injured his replacement was often obviously substandard.

Mind you, with the lack of funds to compete in the Championship it was probably the only way we could have lasted there as long as we did.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:26:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 25, 2015, 10:15:57 am by IDM »
What a load of old shite this thread is!

I am indifferent to RL or women's football.  I only watch Rovers, so for me, I have little interest in Club Doncaster but I do accept that it does not detract from the running of the football club, nor from its financial status.

As for the season, well it isn't over yet, and there are only a couple of points between us and 8th place.  I don't think that the word coming out of the club last summer about having a budget to compete for the top 8 was BS - apart from a few results here or there we would be in the top 8. 

Folks are far too quick to pin poor performances and results on a perception of lack of investment and "bullshit" from the board.

The only problem IMHO this season has been the football at home.  The performances have been inconsistent, too often not good enough, and that in turn puts off the supporters. 

We have the players good enough to perform, we manage it away, and occasionally at home, but not enough.

Who is to blame for this? 

The manager?  maybe - I sit on the fence here.  On this season alone his future is in the balance.  For me, if he was to go or be sacked I wouldn't be too upset, but then again I am not calling for that.

The coaching team?  maybe, but they go hand in hand with the manager.

The board?  No, not at all.  OK we are not spending millions and millions, however I don't agree at all with boom and bust financial management - plus there is FFP to consider.

The players?  Yes, I think the players themselves have underachieved.  Why?  Confidence?  The manager?  I dunno, but they can perform as we see away, but why not at the KM?

For next year we need more consistency, and play better football at home - simple as that.  I want to be entertained, regardless of the league we are in.  This season has been disappointing for sure, but that wont stop me going next season, maybe not as a ST holder but that is only due to cash flow now.

Do we need a new manager?  Who?  Will the grass be greener if we do change?  Redfearn maybe, with Jones assisting?

The season in the context of our recent history has been poor, but over a few decades to be mid table in the 3rd division is not a bad place to be for DRFC.

Folks need to take a healthy dose of realism here.  Either that, go and support someone else rather than spouting argumentative b*llocks on here just for the sake of an argument...

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 25, 2015, 10:31:32 am by Donnybob »
SOD was sacked in September so how can you possibly say with that we would have been relegated EIGHT MONTHS in the future. What is undeniable is that we did get relegated without SOD despite some gobshite telling the world he would prevent it. Saunders was provided with an unbelievable array of talent, plus the players SOD so desperately needed returning from injury. That we went down despite these advantages shows he wasn't the mercurial genius some would paint him as.

You may recall we played Brighton (off the park) on the first day of the season. A team that proceeded to kick 7 bells out of us and severely injure Billy who was carried off while Lewis Dunk sniggered at what he'd done.

What followed into the autumn was a direct consequence of that and if you want to be serious then perhaps you should recognise that everything that has happened to this club in the past 4 years stems from that day. It was a pivotal moment in the history of Doncaster Rovers, their league standings, managerial appointments, hair brained experiments, the players signed, baffling takeover events and the malaise and bitterness that still to this day divides supporters.

Placing SOD on gardening leave and appointing his successor before even meeting with him, stalling on severance, etc, has tarnished more than one legacy - and all for what? Well, read this forum and weep.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 25, 2015, 10:43:56 am by Bentley Bullet »
Donnybob, your post confirms what I said in mine. We were 'beaten up' by Brighton on that opening day, resulting in us losing Billy. Had we got an efficient replacement for him (or any other injured first teamer for that matter) the problems we faced wouldn't have been so catastrophic.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 25, 2015, 10:45:21 am by drfchound »
Donnybob, a superb post. :rtid:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on April 25, 2015, 10:52:02 am by IDM »
We were unlucky at Brighton and even more so vs Forest - didn't Bennett hit the post 3 times in that game?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 25, 2015, 11:09:22 am by acko »
SOD got the sack and deserved it absolute rubbish our start to that season and his record of turning things round as never been good,bristol city will tell you they stuck with him too long.good coach no argument manager no,penny and walker deserved more credit it what they achieved than sod.sods job now suits his ability and ive said it before think he will be success but please no more management

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 25, 2015, 11:17:49 am by acko »
just been pointed out to me SODs sacking was not down to results alone,and when you think about that season the reason is obvious

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 25, 2015, 01:52:06 pm by Donnybob »
Hard to take someone remotely serious who posts entirely contradictory comments like, 'SOD got the sack and deserved it' (at 11.09) then eight minutes posts to say, 'SODs sacking was not down to results alone. So please, acko, do tell us why indeed SOD was 'sacked'. It's my understanding based on club statements broadcast on national radio that he had been placed on gardening leave and it's your interpretation that he was sacked.

You say, 'his record of turning things round as never been good'. Did he not take us from the threat of relegation on Boxing Day to being the one of THE form teams in the Championship for the rest of the season? Perhaps you've also conveniently overlooked the fact that he turned things round so well at Forest they were challenging for a play-off spot - and look what's happened there since...

Of course, all this counts for nothing. You and your ilk know how this club can be transformed from a League One club to an established one in the Premiership and sweeping all of Europe before it thereafter. It's dead easy, just sack the manager and have a few punts.

Yeah, right. Good luck with selling that business plan to the bank manager. I take it you'll be at the helm as our new Chairman, too?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 25, 2015, 02:39:31 pm by wilts rover »
You have it pretty well summed-up in your first post Donnybob, the 2011-2012 season went to pot as soon as Sharp was injured at Brighton. Lewis Dunk holds a lot of responsibility for that, but so does the person who thought we could go through the season with only two stikers, both of whom were injured at Brighton.

Saunders did have some decent players to chose from - he also had some overated rubbish as well.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 25, 2015, 02:49:34 pm by acko »
is he still on gardening leave then donnybob,the other reason I refered to was he wouldn't adhere to the experiment with McKay,sooner do it his way .f====== good riddance

TinyPortal © 2005-2012