Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 05:06:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Greatest FA Cup goal  (Read 7258 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Greatest FA Cup goal
« on June 01, 2015, 03:43:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
Re: Greatest FA Cup goal
« Reply #1 on June 01, 2015, 03:52:02 pm by Askern_reds »
it was a beauty loved it when keown went on is ass

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 01, 2015, 04:15:57 pm by Askern_reds »
been there a few times bill can't remember how many that end holds but we seemed to av a good few there?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 01, 2015, 05:12:14 pm by Filo »
Radfords goal for Hereford against Newcastle would be my choice

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 01, 2015, 06:53:55 pm by southwestexile »
Great goal from Colin considering he was suffering from Cramp

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 01, 2015, 07:07:38 pm by Lincoln Rover »
My lads first ever away game and he saw that goal. Happy memories

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 01, 2015, 07:51:59 pm by Al4475 »
Have to say that giggsy's is a very worthwhile winner! It's a great goal regardless but when you factor in that it was injury time and his team were (an ispirational) man down in a semi-final of the best knockout cup in the world, the two best teams in the country and the fact he beat at least half of the england defence and keeper - it's a very special goal! There's probably been better but in my lifetime as a football fan - this one is the best!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 01, 2015, 08:10:40 pm by Lesonthewest »
Was at the game where Cramby scored, magical stuff. Was an idle chuff but give him the ball to his feet & he came alive.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 01, 2015, 08:11:08 pm by IDM »
Have to say that giggsy's is a very worthwhile winner! It's a great goal regardless but when you factor in that it was injury time and his team were (an ispirational) man down in a semi-final of the best knockout cup in the world, the two best teams in the country and the fact he beat at least half of the england defence and keeper - it's a very special goal! There's probably been better but in my lifetime as a football fan - this one is the best!

Best of all time or best in the FA Cup?

I would argue Archie Gemmell's dribble-goal for Scotland vs Holland in the 1978 WC when Scotland needed to win by 3, was equally as good.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 01, 2015, 09:33:36 pm by 1879Rovers »
Remember Trevor Sinclair scoring a superb overhead kick for QPR in the FA Cup.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 01, 2015, 10:12:19 pm by BobG »
My favorite is that fantatabulous diving header that won the FA Cup for Coventry City. Geoff Houchen. Awesome goal from a proper player.

BobG

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 01, 2015, 10:17:54 pm by IDM »
Back to the FA Cup, my favourite is D. Harle for us vs QPR in Jan 1985..

That was the first game I ever had an individual ticket for.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 01, 2015, 10:32:19 pm by idler »
My favorite is that fantatabulous diving header that won the FA Cup for Coventry City. Geoff Houchen. Awesome goal from a proper player.

BobG
Wasn't it Keith Houchen Bob? He certainly came up the hard way.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 01, 2015, 10:36:09 pm by BobG »
I think you're right Idler. Thank you. I was struggling for his name anyway. When the flash came I didn't check. Keith it is. I think. Lol!!

Cheers

BobG

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 01, 2015, 10:45:34 pm by Askern_reds »
dicanio power in the air, skill, just can't coach someone to do that

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 01, 2015, 10:49:57 pm by idler »
I think you're right Idler. Thank you. I was struggling for his name anyway. When the flash came I didn't check. Keith it is. I think. Lol!!

Cheers
He was telling his story on I think talk sport one night and it was brilliant. He told how he started at Hartlepool and how hard he had to work to get into and then remain in the first team. Going back into the reserves meant a serious drop in wages, very different to today.
He was a very honest professional.

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 02, 2015, 12:15:48 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Giggs' goal was poetry in motion, the way he drifted around the best defence in England, and then had the presence of mind and power to beat England's number one.
Where are players who take three and four players out of the game like he did?.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 02, 2015, 12:52:30 am by IDM »

Where are players who take three and four players out of the game like he did?.

Harry F came quite close vs Coventry on Boxing Day..

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 02, 2015, 01:23:29 am by hoolahoop »

I have to agree , you would have to hate Man U or Giggs for that matter not to see just how amazing that goal actually was in any competition.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 02, 2015, 03:33:10 am by NickDRFC »
Hoola - I don't much like Man Utd, and I can't stand Giggs (it's more of a personal issue than not rating him as a footballer, what sort of low-life would sleep with his brother's wife?!) but I don't think that goal was amazing. It was a good goal, yes, but he was running at tired legs and Seaman was trying to second guess when he struck it - had he just stood upright he would have saved it. In fact I'd hazard a guess that were that at the other end Schmeichel would have just beaten it away. Definitely a good goal but I struggle to see how it's the best in the history of the FA Cup.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 02, 2015, 04:27:35 am by richtherover »
RE Keith Houchen.  Sorry to be picky Bob but his goal was the equaliser not the winner. Still a cracker though, as is any goal against Spurs. Haha.
RTID

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 02, 2015, 06:11:39 am by Donnywolf »
Hoola - I don't much like Man Utd, and I can't stand Giggs (it's more of a personal issue than not rating him as a footballer, what sort of low-life would sleep with his brother's wife?!) but I don't think that goal was amazing. It was a good goal, yes, but he was running at tired legs and Seaman was trying to second guess when he struck it - had he just stood upright he would have saved it. In fact I'd hazard a guess that were that at the other end Schmeichel would have just beaten it away. Definitely a good goal but I struggle to see how it's the best in the history of the FA Cup.

I am a well known Manuphobic - but trying to keep that in check and being as independent as possible - I have to agree with your views 100%. There have been better goals in the FA Cup

On a different note the one thing with this goal and the "amazing" Maradona one v England in the World Cup is that had it ben the opposition trying to score such a goal i.e an Arsenal or England player bearing down on the opposite goal they would have never got as far as the Penalty area !

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 02, 2015, 07:16:02 am by southwestexile »
Surely Ricky Villa has to be the best. Given the occasion, the political situation of the time heaped pressure on him too. Just stunning.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 02, 2015, 08:25:39 am by hoolahoop »
Jeez cue the "Manuphobics" if I read any more of these daft posts about 'tired legs, daft keepers' etc.etc . I could actually start to believe that the goal was distinctly average. I don't like Giggs ( the man) but to belittle  his goal is obtuse in the extreme. Nick you deffo need to have a word with yourself and Big John for that matter.

Am I sure this was "the" best goal of all time in the FA Cup ...of course not but it certainly ranks amongst the very best most of us have seen in the competition over the years. :(

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 02, 2015, 08:43:12 am by jmt »
Sorry hoola, I'm another!
I just don't think it's a great goal, it's poor defending, it's almost as if they were scared to put a foot in. He did still have to put it past seaman though, so it's a good goal, just not great/the best!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 02, 2015, 09:16:00 am by The Red Baron »
Have to say I'm with Bob and Houchen here. I'm a great fan of the diving header, something that has almost died out of the modern game. Just as well Sir James Hayter hadn't forgotten.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 02, 2015, 09:22:20 am by BobG »
Thank you Rich. Doh... I'm not having a good time am I?!! Still, whatever goal it was, it's defintely the best cup goal for me!

And John: thanks! I agree. I was taking just the other day about the absence of diving headers these days.

SWExile: I did wonder about Ricky Villa's. It was indeed a bloody good goal. It's hard to explain why one goal ends up being more memorable than another. For me, (And that's all it is!) Houchen's had more drama in the context of the game at the time.  I suppose that could be argued about Ricky's too though. I guess it's down to the fact that I just like Houchen's more! I remember chucking a very heavy brand new frying pan I was unwrapping right across the room as it went in. Bloody good cross it was too. Was it Bennett?

BobG

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 02, 2015, 10:38:06 am by NickDRFC »
It's nothing to do with being "manuphobic" - perhaps you should pull your head out of the Man Utd clouds they inhabit! ;) I just don't think it was a goal that deserved to be the "greatest FA Cup goal" ever! Good goal but perhaps you should appreciate that opinions on just how good might differ to yours...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 02, 2015, 01:25:52 pm by idler »
Does anybody remember King Alick weaving through the Bradford Park Avenue defence at a muddy Park Avenue to seal a 3-2 win against the top of the league in the FA Cup about 1964-5?
That was a good in. They had kicked him all over and he said later their defence were taking the mickey and saying come on golden boy show us some magic etc.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 02, 2015, 04:52:06 pm by 1879Rovers »

SWExile: I did wonder about Ricky Villa's. It was indeed a bloody good goal. It's hard to explain why one goal ends up being more memorable than another. For me, (And that's all it is!) Houchen's had more drama in the context of the game at the time.  I suppose that could be argued about Ricky's too though. I guess it's down to the fact that I just like Houchen's more! I remember chucking a very heavy brand new frying pan I was unwrapping right across the room as it went in. Bloody good cross it was too. Was it Bennett?

BobG

Steve Mackenzie's goal for City in the same game was a superb strike but was lost in the goal by Ricky Villa.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012