Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:50:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 23778 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #30 on July 26, 2015, 05:00:21 pm by IDM »
Sorry for continuing the swearing debate on the Sunderland thread, but topics do move on.  Bally I would investigate the family stand area - in theory this is the place in which you will least likely be subject to the bad language.

I vent off at refs etc and can use the coarsest language but I do try and look around to see if there are young kids in nearby seats and temper my language accordingly.

As for Sunderland, this will be another good test for the defence and midfield but I doubt we will go balls out attacking and risk injury etc.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 26, 2015, 05:52:00 pm by RedJ »
f**king hell are people really having a cry about swearing at a football match? Christ, should we try and stop bears shitting in woods next?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 26, 2015, 05:57:37 pm by steve@dcfd »
Looking at the Sunderland game whether supporters are swearing or not let's hope we can at least match the 2500 away tickets with home fans. The price of £10/£5 is not excessive and hopefully we will see all the players we have plus at least two more signings.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:59:43 pm by steve@dcfd »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 26, 2015, 07:12:58 pm by drfchound »
As has been said, there has always been swearing at football by fans and by players.
I was also party to it and I like to think it hasn't affectedme I later life.
My niece came to a few matches with me before she went to live and work in London and too told her that she might hear me say a few words she hadn't heard me say before.
She was fine about it and said that it wouldn't be anything she hasn't heard before.
Someone wrote earlier on this thread that they would only swear if they got angry, well don't we get angry at the game when the ref or linesman makes a decision we don't like or one of our players gets clattered.
I know I do and that is a time that will probably let rip with a volley which will probably include a swear word.
No one has ever asked me to not swear when that has happened.
I don't get this holier than thou attitude.
Very obviously I wouldn't conduct myself the same way away from the football.
It is a bit like road rage.
I bet there aren't any of us who haven't slipped up with the kids in the car when we have been cut up by a d**khead driver.
It isn't very much different really.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 26, 2015, 07:36:41 pm by IDM »
Here's a thought, perhaps to draw a line under the swearing tangent we've gone off on...

I took my daughter to football regularly between the ages of 5 and 10.  Of course, she would have heard swearing in the chanting and shouting, but the difference was that I didn't join in.  So, whilst she may have heard the words, she didn't hear ME saying them.  She is 15 now and has never repeated any of those words in my presence.

You cannot stop kids hearing swearing but you can control how you deal with it as a parent.  Bally, buy the ST, and concentrate on enjoying the football with your daughter.

Take her to the Sunderland game, it won't be a sell out and you can find isolated seats if you want to.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 26, 2015, 07:51:05 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Some of our fans just find anything to moan about I'm glad this forum probably represents about 2% of our fans

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 26, 2015, 08:49:42 pm by Askern_reds »
Does it make it right??
sorry Bailey but ask your daughter if she's herd this language at school bet the answer is yes, you can't expect a crowd of 6 7 or more thousand to start whispering at a game, as long as you don't use it in front of her and she dosent use it your jobs done, she will never go anywhere without hearing language not just footy

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 26, 2015, 08:59:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think you're in to a moral debate beyond football.

I'm sure we've all done inappropriate things in our lives. You live and learn and make your own standards.

Should be a cracking friendly on Wednesday. Really looking forward to it.

bally1950

« Reply #38 on July 26, 2015, 10:02:36 pm by bally1950 »
IDM.

Thank you. I may take her to see Wolves on Saturday. I have not been to either friendly matches because I want to go and see us against Sunderland, No disrespect to Forest or Boro, but it is a long time since I have seen Sunderland.

My daughter had the radio on the other day and some master act broke into a song with Hey..he ain't fkn with my gal. she immediately turned it off and repeatedly apologised for it being on. I told her it was not her fault. No it wasn't but still upset her. Perhaps just perhaps she did not like it.

We all shout and swear and yes we have to look around at times. And yes I have apologised to parents and children and stayed quiet at games after my out burst. But I will go and watch the football, always liked Sunderland after they beat that lot at Wembley........

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 27, 2015, 03:41:43 pm by PopStander »
After reading this I could not leave without a comment.

Football has changed massively over the years, but to ban swearing is absolutely ridiculous, I agree if you swear in the Family Stand you should be moved or kicked out, but to ban swearing anywhere else is daft, you wouldn't ban it in your local pub so why at football. I have to say if you don't like it there are other areas in the ground to sit. Football is the only vent of frustration and stress after a week at work for some people, if you want to swear, go for it lad!

Bring your kids up to know right from wrong!

What happens at football, stays at football!

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 27, 2015, 05:21:47 pm by Orlandokarla »
If you're not sat in the family area, have at it! We've all been around long enough to know where the line is, and reign in those who take it too far.
I taught my young'un from a very early age about Daddy's "football words," and they are not repeated elsewhere.
Some people are so uptight.

PDS

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 28, 2015, 03:20:42 pm by PDS »
Isn't this what unreserved seating is all about? In the days of the pop side, the rowdy vociferous ones congregated in the middle near the half way line. Wanted it quieter? You shifted to the ends. Kids? Shuffled to the front.

And we used to celebrate some of the chants about our own players

"He's 8, he's scouse, he'll rob your fcuking house, Greg Blundell!" Have times changed so much in 10 years?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 28, 2015, 05:40:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
With the Sunderland game tomorrow our penultimate preseason game, if we need to hit the ground running on August 8th let's hope the three injured senior professionals are just about ready to play.

At the moment we have two centre midfield players and two strikers. Let's hope we can bring in the two players that PD believes are right for the club before tomorrow. It now time to act otherwise the squad will find it hard to be ready from day one of the league.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 28, 2015, 06:44:13 pm by IDM »
I am not too worried Steve if the additional players don't arrive before tomorrow - we have almost all the squad in, and despite not playing I reckon Tyson, Keegan and Chaplow will have been training with the squad?

We started vs Boro with almost a first choice 11 despite no Keegan, Chaplow nor Tyson. 

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 28, 2015, 07:43:05 pm by steve@dcfd »
IDM are you confident that without Keegan, Chaplow and Tyson and any additions that we will have a squad capable of winning games from day one of the season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 28, 2015, 07:46:31 pm by IDM »
I didn't say that, I expect at least one or two of those players to be available.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 28, 2015, 07:46:52 pm by PDX_Rover »
The whole subject of swearing is stupid anyway. Who decided that one word was offensive whilst another wasn't? Racist terms I see differently - they are historically bad. But swearing? Daft.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 28, 2015, 07:54:30 pm by bpoolrover »
We need replacements incase of injuries or we will do no better than last season

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 28, 2015, 09:13:50 pm by Lesonthewest »
Heard a little rumour that Jo Pugh has made the bench for tomorrows game.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 28, 2015, 09:56:33 pm by steve@dcfd »
Heard a little rumour that Jo Pugh has made the bench for tomorrows game.

His performance yesterday in front of PD must have swayed him in that decision.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 28, 2015, 10:57:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
Great for the lad and after what I saw, I'd say well deserved, BUT it's not what we want. It's about time we got these 2 new players in. What are we ponsing around with?

We have 2 games left for goodness sake and if these new lads are midfielders, they're going to need at least 2 games to gel with the squad.

No excuses, PD. None.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 28, 2015, 11:04:44 pm by IDM »
Great for the lad and after what I saw, I'd say well deserved, BUT it's not what we want. It's about time we got these 2 new players in. What are we ponsing around with?

We have 2 games left for goodness sake and if these new lads are midfielders, they're going to need at least 2 games to gel with the squad.

No excuses, PD. None.

Alan you have been around long enough to know that despite the best efforts of PD and his team, players, or more likely their agents, cannot be forced to sign!

I doubt that the club is "ponsing around" - surely it is better to get the players sorted eventually rather than rush  and risk getting a few bad ones?  We are only talking a couple maybe, not half the squad.

I agree it is better to get players in with fixtures to spare, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it if we don't.  Assuming Keegs and Tyson are almost fit (Chaplow wait and see) we'll have enough for the first few games.  The transfer window is open to the end of August.

I also agree that there should be no pre-season excuses for the team doing badly, regardless of whether the squad is complete for the Bury game, it is almost complete - the only reason it isn't is the same as all other clubs have...

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 28, 2015, 11:07:04 pm by PDX_Rover »
Patience is a virtue (and probably a virgin)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 28, 2015, 11:19:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good to hear another youngster is being given an opportunity to step up.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 28, 2015, 11:30:34 pm by NickDRFC »
I don't see the big deal about needing to have the whole squad in place for all the pre season friendlies. We have the core of the squad in place, any new faces will have training to get to know their teammates anyway. I could understand the frustration if we were still on the lookout for 5-6 new faces, but we are not. When we sign a player in January, or loan a player, and they go straight into the first team we don't arrange friendlies to allow them to gel with the rest of the team, so why is that so necessary now?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 28, 2015, 11:37:13 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Are there any of our fans brave enough to wear Lederhosen and swing in with a few birds with blonde pigtails to welcome him though?.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 28, 2015, 11:39:54 pm by IDM »
I don't see the big deal about needing to have the whole squad in place for all the pre season friendlies. We have the core of the squad in place, any new faces will have training to get to know their teammates anyway. I could understand the frustration if we were still on the lookout for 5-6 new faces, but we are not. When we sign a player in January, or loan a player, and they go straight into the first team we don't arrange friendlies to allow them to gel with the rest of the team, so why is that so necessary now?

I think many fans want PD to have his full squad ready to go before the season starts, so that he can have no excuse for failure on the pitch.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 29, 2015, 12:08:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »

I think many fans want PD to have his full squad ready to go before the season starts, so that he can have no excuse for failure on the pitch.

He could have done if he settled for some of the players already signed by other teams, but he is doing the right thing trying each time to improve on what he has.
We would all want business to be already done with the right one's, i get the feeling we are after players that many want, some we will miss out on some we will get.

The thing we need more than most is some pace with intelligence on the wings, a bit of crossing ability, a good right back going forward and defending, the young kid might yet be the answer but you need some experience either to start or cover for that position.
Personally i would go after another striker, but i don't see us doing that he won't want to shut down opportunities for the younger players.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 29, 2015, 07:18:41 am by The Red Baron »
Reading today's article in the DFP I wonder if we are not now planning to bring any more in before the season starts.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 29, 2015, 09:46:49 am by steve@dcfd »
Looks like PD is playing the youngsters card to justify not spending any more on players he does not want to spoil their development.

He must remember he said promotion this season was his objective.

We all hope we have a good start and excuses are not applicable.

It may be a bluff toget the right players atcthe right price. He

TinyPortal © 2005-2012