Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:48:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 23742 times)

Underwood

• Forum Member
Sunderland
« on July 26, 2015, 02:00:41 pm by Underwood »
Sold 2500 tickets for the friendly.

Probably going to be outnumbered but should be a good atmosphere.  Black Bank did well yesterday was impressed.  Need to increase the numbers on there though.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #1 on July 26, 2015, 02:07:25 pm by Copps is Magic »
Good news. We must be pushing 100k in gate receipts alone for all these home friendlies. Extra money for the club that we've not had in previous years.

Underwood

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 26, 2015, 02:10:03 pm by Underwood »
With it being a premiership team hoping for a few more than the 2000 home fans than the last two.

All money in the coffers though which is good.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 26, 2015, 02:51:30 pm by LincolnDonny »
Reference chanting.............

you expect a bit of "language".......But I did NOT like ( as also happened in the 1st friendly) the chant reference our new Goalkeeper....................ok so he a German....but don't think its very nice to say the least.............

sorry but what is the chant suppose to prove?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 26, 2015, 03:03:20 pm by bobjimwilly »
The only chant I heard was "we've got a big f**king german in the net"? not really offensive.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 26, 2015, 03:03:53 pm by drfchound »
Sold 2500 tickets for the friendly.

Probably going to be outnumbered but should be a good atmosphere.  Black Bank did well yesterday was impressed.  Need to increase the numbers on there though.

The numbers will increase Underwood.
Many, like myself, don't bother going to pre season games but will be there all season joining in with the singing and shouting.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 26, 2015, 03:08:58 pm by graingrover »
Yes ... but don't drive away supporters who take kids ... being vulgar or racist isn't  Black Bank is it .. if so reimburse my donation .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 26, 2015, 03:14:01 pm by drfchound »
I agree but swearing is the norm in a football stadium isn't it so don't expect the kids not hear any of that.
Racism though is out of order.

bally1950

« Reply #8 on July 26, 2015, 03:28:03 pm by bally1950 »
I promised my nine year old a season ticket but perhaps I should not, she not ready for all that yet. I also looking at SE Corner as previous seating but ticket plan says that area is not yet available. it is an area designated for families. So what, where is right for children, anyone any ideas. The club are trying to get kids in but it appears may condone the bad language, despite their pre match announcements.
 :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

Underwood

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 26, 2015, 03:39:38 pm by Underwood »
I promised my nine year old a season ticket but perhaps I should not, she not ready for all that yet. I also looking at SE Corner as previous seating but ticket plan says that area is not yet available. it is an area designated for families. So what, where is right for children, anyone any ideas. The club are trying to get kids in but it appears may condone the bad language, despite their pre match announcements.

The corners aren't available next season.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 26, 2015, 03:40:34 pm by Copps is Magic »
Why does everything in football now have to be sanitised and commercially recreated as a 'product' to be sold to families? It's football. It's mostly middle-aged men releasing pent up anger from working shit jobs all week through swearing at referees and other gestures. This has been happening for decades and society has not collapsed because it.

Really (and unfrotunately I'm saying this again in relation to the black bank) people need to be a bit more pragmatic about what is going on. "We've got a big fuscking German" (a chant popularised by arsenal fans) is neither racist or vulgar in my view. Certainly its not racist under any view really.

I don't know what anyone else's upbringing was like but I was exposed to swearing from a very very young age. Anyone who attends a school in Doncaster will be.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 26, 2015, 03:43:11 pm by IDM »

Call or visit the TO, I wouldn't rely on the seat plan online.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 26, 2015, 03:43:29 pm by roversontheup »
I agree but swearing is the norm in a football stadium isn't it so don't expect the kids not hear any of that.
Racism though is out of order.

Yes swearing is the norm at football but does it have to be? I'm no prude and am quite capable of swearing but usually when I'm a) in pain or b) angry. Are there not enough words in our colourful language not to have to revert to obscenities?
I we t to a Belles match recently and there were a few young guys there in Rovers shirts. They did a fantastic job of singing and supporting the team. At one point they were singing a common football dong and I prepared to cringe because I knew what word was coming up.    But no....they changed the words to something perfectly acceptable to a crowd numbering lots of kids.  It made me smile and I felt quite proud of there sensibility.

If you are reading this guys......well done!

Can't that be the new norm....why does it have to be do macho?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 26, 2015, 03:47:58 pm by Copps is Magic »
BUT why can't swearing be part of that colourful language. It's an art form - some of the funniest things I've ever heard have used swearing in a clever way (including funny football chants). Look at the number of song artists, poets, film-makers, writers, etc. who have used swearing to actually create something new, funny, or awe inspiring. Look at the poems and songs of John Cooper Clarke as one example just off the top of my head.

And the more controls you actually put on language, the more powerful swearing actually becomes.

bally1950

« Reply #14 on July 26, 2015, 03:48:08 pm by bally1950 »
CIM

Oh believe me brother I can swear, I still am asked to lower my tone sometimes, been there, done it and got the tee shirt. But it does not have to be right does it???

IDM many thanks.

Like many who take children to school, yes we can hear it on play grounds but sadly in the main it is from parents..

Suppose it is only me that has a problem with it, but it does not make it right and I have, as I said been told off plenty times.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 26, 2015, 03:52:21 pm by 1879Rovers »
Got to expect it. I have told my six year old he will hear it at a football ground and that is where it stays.

bally1950

« Reply #16 on July 26, 2015, 03:53:06 pm by bally1950 »
I wonder if fkn Chubby Brown supports fkn Sunderland, the fat bast""". or Mrs Brown, it is alright to say "Fecking" because in England it is not a swear word. It is also the English I am told that made the word F u  "" i n g a swear word in it's corse sense .

My drill sergeant who was Scot used to shout Jes*s Mc Chri*t  and Kinnel, that could be funny, but when the big ox said it, we were usually in the pooh pooh

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 26, 2015, 03:53:16 pm by graingrover »
Wonderfully modern ... why are families important to Donny Rovers !!!!Because we have too many foul mouths who put off decent folk who support their club together with their families right ! If you want to spend your afternoon acting like morons dig yourself a hole somewhere susceptible to landslips.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 26, 2015, 03:53:31 pm by Rovers91 »
There's nothing wrong with swearing at a football match everyone is exposed to swearing whether it's fotball or anything else. As long as it's not racist or anything like that it's fine.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 26, 2015, 03:54:27 pm by Copps is Magic »
Got to expect it. I have told my six year old he will hear it at a football ground and that is where it stays.

And I bet even at six he has enough intelligence to work out that this is true. As I believe I did at that age and most other kids.

bally1950

« Reply #20 on July 26, 2015, 03:55:13 pm by bally1950 »
Does it make it right??

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 26, 2015, 03:57:07 pm by 1879Rovers »

And I bet even at six he has enough intelligence to work out that this is true. As I believe I did at that age and most other kids.

In fact he does because he knows I will kick his f@@king arse if I hear it come out of his mouth.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 26, 2015, 03:59:50 pm by roversontheup »
Actually CIM I have less of a problem when someone has put a bit of thought into a chant and it includes swear words. I have two main gripes........
1) there are different levels of swearing. Mild I don't mind but when F word and C word are used I hate it.
2) there are many people who cannot construct a sentence without using the F word at least once. They think it's acceptable in any company.  It isn't. For some reason there are others who only use it at football....why?

Sorry if you think it's being sanitised. To me it's just social responsibility.
There was a time when footie chants were funny. Nowadays it just seems to comprise of one set of fans shouting obscenities at the other set of fans. I don't hear the same humour. Sad really.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 26, 2015, 03:59:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
It's not a clear cut question of whether its wrong or right. It's about degrees of freedom to be creative and about what is generally socially acceptable. If some pillock is f'ing and b'ing for 90 he will eventually be pulled up by someone. That, however, would be clearly different from a humorous chant (whether you find it funny or not) which contains a swear word. So you can't really go round blanket banning swearing from the whole stadium.

(in reply to Bally)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 26, 2015, 04:03:34 pm by roversontheup »
And I agree with that CIM.

bally1950

« Reply #25 on July 26, 2015, 04:14:18 pm by bally1950 »
I see............................. So if someone continually swears near children and refuses to stop when told by me or another responsible adult and we get told to Feck Off. then we have a problem. I knock his fecking head off, get lifted, sentenced and a ban. My daughter would certainly see daddy in another light.  Will give it a go

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 26, 2015, 04:30:39 pm by bpoolrover »
Thing is if you no there is going to be swearing and you don't want your daughter to hear it,don't take her simple as,my daughter who is 11 goes and I have no problem as it's nothing worse than is said in the playground

bally1950

« Reply #27 on July 26, 2015, 04:33:46 pm by bally1950 »
I will save my money I think. I will watch her playing with dolls and putting make up on. yeah  :suicide:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 26, 2015, 04:43:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
The heading of this thread is Sunderland, not swearing. Back on topic, it's great to see how many supporters actually do support their club ALL the time and not just when it kicks off for real. It's all money to help with (hopefully) building a team fit to challenge for promotion.

I applaud them, but I hope they go home disappointed! And I hope we see both 2 players signed by then AND Chaplow's name on the team sheet at last.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 26, 2015, 04:50:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
Wonderfully modern ... why are families important to Donny Rovers !!!!Because we have too many foul mouths who put off decent folk who support their club together with their families right ! If you want to spend your afternoon acting like morons dig yourself a hole somewhere susceptible to landslips.

We moved them from the West stand north end where many couldn't hear the language and put them in the South Stand to get a better atmosphere you reap what you sew.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012