Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:00:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Kyle Bennett  (Read 5645 times)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
Kyle Bennett
« on July 28, 2015, 06:07:16 am by watto-drfc »

Former Doncaster Rovers winger Kyle Bennett says he had gone stale at the Keepmoat and he needed a change of scenery after turning down a new deal with Doncaster to join League Two side Portsmouth earlier this summer.

Bennett upset Doncaster boss Paul Dickov earlier this summer when he went back on his word about signing a new deal with the club, preferring to drop a division and a move to Portsmouth.

The 24-year-old spent four-years with Doncaster making 131 appearances with last season his most successful at the Keepmoat. He made 50 appearances scoring eight times but he felt the time was right to move away from the club.

"No disrespect to Doncaster but I think I needed a change," Bennett told the Portsmouth News.

"Sometimes you can stay at one club for too long and I think I was probably going a bit stale.

"A change for me is massive in making me love the game even more again.

"There are times when you feel things are not going that great for you.

"You need that change of scenery and a new challenge.

"If it`s not going well it can affect your confidence and you just can`t find your best form.

"But the gaffer here has pulled me right back up again.

"When I came down for talks with him it was all positive.

"He spoke about what he wants me to do and how he wants me to play.

"Confidence-wise, I am right back up there though."

Bennett has been impressing during pre-season for Portsmouth but he was forced to miss their latest pre-season game with Woking last Friday through injury although he is expected to be fit for the start of the new season.

Read more: http://www.doncaster.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=406871#ixzz3h9xbFpYW

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Kyle Bennett
« Reply #1 on July 28, 2015, 06:36:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
That's fair enough I would say.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 28, 2015, 07:57:53 am by rtid88 »
I think he will get fouled more than any other player in that league this year! The lad has not developed physically or mentally since he first joined us! I was not sad to see him go!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 28, 2015, 08:07:21 am by IDM »
"No disrespect to Doncaster but I think I needed a change,"

I have to disagree with that.  At times last season Bennett was our best player, scored a few decent goals, and had matured a hell of a lot. We would have got a good season out of Kyle I think.

Therefore I can only conclude he went to Portsmouth for the money and this statement is more or less standard for a player that moves on..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:19:46 am by IDM »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 28, 2015, 08:12:02 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can see his viewpoint. No problems with a fresh challenge. Took him too long for the penny to drop but put that down to youth and distractions.

Sometimes you need a fresh start where you're taken on face value.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 28, 2015, 08:14:06 am by IDM »
I get that DBR, but I think Kyle had that challenge last season with us, and could have this..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 28, 2015, 08:17:52 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agreed.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 28, 2015, 08:21:55 am by GazLaz »
He's not as good as he thinks he is and possibly should be I think. Saying it "went stale" is another way of saying "my performances were average".

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 28, 2015, 10:05:11 am by Colemans Left Hook »
what a load of crapp -

just like his "alleged" "character reference" for a "footballer" that ended up in the "porridge institution"

is he related to fabian delph ??

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 28, 2015, 10:07:12 am by Al4475 »
I would've liked him to stay for one more season but wasn't particularly sad to see him go either! Strange thing for me from that article is his contadiction about saying he stayed too long as I'm sure he said not long back he would love to play for us as long as copps has! If I've got that comment/player wrong then I apologise! Heehee!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 28, 2015, 10:11:17 am by Mike_F »
It's a load of old cobblers IMHO. Nothing to do with spending too long here (has Copps gone stale?!) and Wverything to do with a few quid extra in his pocket. Not that I fault the desire to look after himself financially but the statement is a joke!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 28, 2015, 10:11:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Let me translate.

"No disrespect to Doncaster but Portsmouth offered me more money."

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 28, 2015, 10:17:17 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Let me translate.

"allegedly" correct and "allegedly" "my wife/partner has just given birth and I need to get as far away from the mother in law so the missus has a harder time bringing the baby up"   need new people I don't know at this "alleged" "critical time"  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 28, 2015, 10:21:31 am by The Red Baron »
Let me translate.

Yes. Sometimes you'd appreciate a bit more honesty from players. I struggle to see how Bennett is developing his career by dropping down a division.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 28, 2015, 10:31:53 am by grayx »
Unless Dickov has got a speedy replacement lined up we're definitely gonna miss Bennetts pace.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 28, 2015, 10:52:20 am by DearneValleyRover »
For me Kyle only played well when his contract was due to expire, he may have a great season this year but it's at a lower level with a team who will have the top budget. No great loss for me.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 28, 2015, 10:57:31 am by Donnybax »
So at the end of last season he says he wants to be the new copps and stay for a very long time. But 2 months later he needs a change.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 28, 2015, 11:30:38 am by the vicar »
just 2 weeks before he said he wants to do a Copps and do 10 years here so where did it go down hill, probably when they started talking telephone numbers for wages

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 28, 2015, 11:43:46 am by Wiltshire Exile »
Let me translate.

Exactly! I've been banging on for ages about the guff that players speak when moving clubs. Nothing different here; move on, please!

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 28, 2015, 11:58:04 am by nortikorner »
just a average player nothing special so predicable when he gets the ball always turns back on his self

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 28, 2015, 03:49:51 pm by PDX_Rover »
Had enough chances to improve at Rovers but only did so on fits and starts. Needs a major attitude adjustment. No great loss to is IMO.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 28, 2015, 05:19:44 pm by RedJ »
Did he not say only weeks earlier he wanted to be around long term and be the next Copps or something?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 28, 2015, 05:21:19 pm by roversdude »
Only going to improve if they get him on the same "training programme" that Jamie Bloem was on KB knocked off the ball too easily
Best of luck to him but no great loss

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 28, 2015, 05:24:32 pm by wilts rover »
Unless Dickov has got a speedy replacement lined up we're definitely gonna miss Bennetts pace.

In how many games last season - or any season, was Bennett's pace been of any use?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 28, 2015, 05:32:09 pm by Yorkiered »

In how many games last season - or any season, was Bennett's pace been of any use?

We will miss his pace running down blind alleys.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 28, 2015, 06:48:50 pm by grayx »

I'd say his pace was his biggest attribute . Perhaps our style of play for the last season or so hasn't always played to his strengths. Its always good to have the "fast winger" option to scare the opposition. I thought he was pretty lively at Sheff U from what I remember.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 28, 2015, 07:00:41 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
just 2 weeks before he said he wants to do a Copps and do 10 years here so where did it go down hill, probably when they started talking telephone numbers for wages

To be fair I don't blame him. I like my job but if someone offers a better deal I'm listening.  Equally I get bored in the same role for too long so I could see why he'd want to go.

End of the day he you've had enough move on. I don't want players who aren't that bothered.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 28, 2015, 11:43:27 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Van Gaal has the right attitude, he let's the player decide whether he wants to stay or not, like Pud said we need players who want to be here.
Portsmouth are a much bigger club than ours, they have the potential to fly through the league's either down or up, it depends on how they are run.
We have the same potential but our journey may take longer, our club is trying to build at a pace that suits our capabilities financially, trying to build something that can be maintained.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012