Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:35:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Belles to go full time  (Read 10064 times)

vietaff

• Forum Member
Belles to go full time
« on October 07, 2015, 06:54:00 pm by vietaff »
Great read but even better to see a local investing back into Doncaster and the Belles.

The new training base looks first class - maybe it could eventually shared between the Belles and Rovers?

Out of curiosity - anyone know who the lygo fella is??

[\] http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34454658[]

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Belles to go full time
« Reply #1 on October 07, 2015, 06:56:21 pm by Copps is Magic »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 07, 2015, 07:25:57 pm by RobTheRover »
I can see those windows in danger of an off-target CS-K free kick!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 07, 2015, 07:37:58 pm by bobjimwilly »
this is excellent news for the Belles! Very impressed with their plans.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 07, 2015, 07:42:32 pm by graingrover »
Carl Lygo ( a Doncastrian) is among other things Chief Executive of BPP University which has a Law school as well as a Business admin degree course . His wife Faye is Chairlady of Belles . She is in discussion with Rovers CEO currently to see how the two clubs can build synergies .

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 07, 2015, 10:36:22 pm by BobG »
Where do they train now Brian?

I'm wondering because if they could use, or are using, Cantley Park surely there would be more than a few better options to spend several million quid on? I suppose the source of that money might have something to do with where it's spent though. Is some of it coming from somewhere that insists it is spent on training facilities? Or women only use?

Although I'm sure it will be wonderful, and in all senses very valuable, it does strike me as being a bit of an odd way to choose to spend a lot of money when there is a ready made alternative just down the road. Couldn't a portion of the money be spent there if there's something specific the Belles want?

I suppose I'm puzzled more than anything.

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 08, 2015, 06:58:28 am by graingrover »
I feel this is a statement of both ambition and INDEPENDENCE Bob ... further info in this article below . Note that there will be residential facilities too .. presumably for the players who do not ( yet) live in the area but will be training in Bawtry all week from next season .

http://www.doncasterroversbelles.co.uk/news/reaction_project_phoenix_takes_off.html#Z9sx5tF6bOZHlXrx.97

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 08, 2015, 09:54:23 pm by BobG »
Yes. I thought of the independence angle Brian. Clearly, it must be playing a significant part in the decision making. Maybe I'm being too pragmatic.... but I do think having two very good sets of training facilities within 6 or 7 miles of each other, for the use of clubs operating under the same name and at the same grround, is a bit silly when the Belles fell out of the league before basically because they didn't have enough money.

I read that this is supposed to give a new income stream. Fine. But will it ever amount to something significant enough to make a difference? Is there additional investment, from somewhere, that will seek to ensure the same doesn't happen again? I suspect there is given the news about full time contracts, but that's just me guessing.

Cheers :)

Bob

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 09, 2015, 07:22:37 pm by graingrover »
Actually Bob the addition of the name Rovers remains a mystery to me . Belles remain independent of Rovers and are not members of Club Doncaster either ( to date). I did ask the Chairlady but she replied to other points in my mail but not as to why the name Rovers had been added .
  I now Gavin B and Faye Lygo ( Chairlady) are currently in discussion but Rovers are not involved in this Phoenix project .  Rovers have for two seasons made Keepmoat training pitches available to Belles I hear and the Keepmoat facilty is being renewed for two seasons .

It is now up to the Donny public to show their appreciation of having a top ladies team that many other cities and towns would be proud of .

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 11, 2015, 10:18:06 pm by Al4475 »
It is now up to the Donny public to show their appreciation of having a top ladies team

Once again!

graingrover

• VSC Member

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 13, 2015, 10:38:27 pm by BobG »
Thank you Brian. Very informative.

There's one point in there, hinted at really that stands out for me: the Belles have been lucky, over many, many years in the quality of quite a few of the leaders they've had. I can think of 4, now, who are of a higher calibre than your normal leadership. and this statement about the training facilities goes a long way to add the Lygo's to that list/

Bob

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 14, 2015, 03:01:55 pm by graingrover »
Yes agree about the Lygo family Bob .

Both Gavin and Faye are o open to questions about the future . When I asked why Belles had associated their name with Rovers I ot this reply from Gill Coultard
Gill Coultard favorited a Tweet you were mentioned in
20h:  .@brigrainger The FA were keen to get female clubs to link with their male pro clubs and we are keen to develop the partnership.

My belief is Belles are quite deteminedly independant . They belong to no one ,are not an incorporated company , have now got the original founder back of board , have full backing from Lygos and BPP AND GAVIN B is very supportive . He will help so far as  he and Rovers are  welcomed, in my opinion

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 14, 2015, 08:48:38 pm by BobG »
In many ways a good thing to be independant. Saves having to deal with the carpetbaggers who are inevitably going to be following the growing WPL gravy train...

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 15, 2015, 11:01:32 am by graingrover »
Yes Bob .. also typical of  FA to 'suggest' Belles should add  'Rovers' brand name with nothing  substantial behind the juxtapositioning!

In addition to retail shop , online shopping facilities , community school visits , the two clubs could profit from some dynamic PR and press / media management . all that would still permit independence in financial and strategic platforms.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 18, 2015, 04:26:13 pm by The Red Baron »
Doesn't the  "Rovers" bit go back to the time that Rovers set up their own Women's section? I think it was in the early 2000s. After a few years the Rovers lot realised they were flogging a dead horse and merged with the Belles. From that point they were known as "Doncaster Rovers Belles."

I have a feeling that Micky Walker may have had something to do with the Rovers team, though I could be wrong.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 19, 2015, 04:54:32 pm by graingrover »
RED BARON  that sounds plausible . Today, Rovers are distant . There are NO financial ties whatsoever .There is no Rovers representative on Belles Board . I think Gavin Baldwin would add great value to their Board ; With GAVIN  the Belles could stay independant but switched in to the club Doncaster Ideal; Why not also invite Faye LYGO to take a seat on Rovers Board ? 

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 19, 2015, 10:16:42 pm by BobG »
That director swap idea is worth thinking about Brian. It would need serious thought as it could potentially compromise independence, but there certainly be some big positives as well. Baldwin and Lygo as none execs? Do you get the feeling, Brian, that co-operation between the clubs is growing? And if it is, is that down to Gavin.....?

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 20, 2015, 02:21:18 pm by graingrover »
Yes Gavin sees Club Doncaster as a major strategy and the vehicle upon which various sports club in the Doncaster community can share resources and build synergies . Gavin talks of heavy or light touch ..the two  Rugby clubs are an example of what he means ;the light touch referring to the Knights . I understand Terry Bramall would be willing to help Belles if needed though the main sponsor BPP will surely now have even more reason to stay independent of Rovers financially . I know Faye Lygo and Gavin have met and will continue to meet to discuss areas in which the clubs can 'synergise' .
   I got a very open response ,through Gavin, to a letter I addressed to Mr Bramall a year ago putting forward a case for Rovers helping Belles more . A year on , I believe that the dialogue between the two clubs now is more open and more trusting .The main protagonists are Gavin and Faye Lygo.
     For what it is worth I believe that Rovers could help especially by allowing Belles to get regular access to our FAMILY stand . Secondly by helping Belles develop their range of merchandise and let them have space in Rovers shop both at Keepmoat and ONLINE store .
     I think Belles can help Rovers develop and spread their community image and get them to recognise that there is scope for joint development of our fan base(s) through joint and concerted PR work both in the community ( schools mainly) and families (meet families on concourse of Family stand ).
       Dare I add that joint actions between Rovers Supporter's Club and the fledgling Belles fans' club could develop a significantly friendly and fruitful relationship.
 How I wish I lived in Donny to help on the ground with things like this .. meanwhile I just do the easy bit .. think about things and try to encourage both clubs to join hands. 

I have one caveat . I think Belles , in their obvious desire to promote female talent and resources in coaching and  management should not   
allow themselves to be distanced by the obvious occasional male chauvinistic approach from various quarters ( FA and general public) . It is generally the Dads who take their daughters to football matches .. to ignore that would be a mistake.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:24:05 pm by graingrover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 20, 2015, 11:01:20 pm by BobG »
It's not just the Rovers that need Gavin...

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:17:33 pm by graingrover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 01, 2016, 11:46:39 pm by BobG »
With 4 proper forwards now on the books I'm starting to panic a bit. I like Beth England. And I'm horribly afraid she and Siggy are going to be the ones to miss out.

But as you said Brian, I'm chuffed to bits about the midfield signing. She should make a very much needed difference.

Bob

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 05, 2016, 09:28:27 pm by graingrover »
Beth England and Jess Siggsworth keep their amateur status whilst Dowie and CSK have signed professional contracts and will train full time .

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 05, 2016, 09:32:47 pm by BobG »
In the long run that's going to doom them as top rank players then isn't it?

Bob

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 06, 2016, 12:11:35 pm by graingrover »
 England is in final year of her degree course I think .

Dowie seems up for it here !

https://thewomensgameblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/dowie-excited-about-the-future-at-donny-belles/

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 06, 2016, 09:44:11 pm by BobG »
Well I hope she stays! I really, really enjoy watching her. She's got that determination, that buzz about her. And she's got a knack of being in the right place most of the time too. Funny really. The forwards is not an area that I thought needed strengtheing apart, maybe, from a reserve which I took Jess Sigsworth to be. It's still midfield where they'll struggle. And the goalie I should add. I'd be after that girl at Barnet. She's top drawer. Our one keeps on dropping the damn thing.

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 07, 2016, 03:05:43 pm by graingrover »
They have recently signed a  good keeper from Durham Ladies
http://4theloveofsport.co.uk/2015/12/24/goalkeeper-anna-moorhouse-signs-for-donny-belles/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:07:59 pm by graingrover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 07, 2016, 09:42:57 pm by BobG »
I've never seen her so I don't know anything about her except what I read. But that Barnet goalie really was the cats whiskers.

Bob

TinyPortal © 2005-2012