Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:44:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ticket prices for league games.  (Read 19604 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Ticket prices for league games.
« on January 09, 2016, 07:04:09 pm by normal rules »
I know this has been done to death but I took a guest today and his lad. He was well impressed with the 15 quid entry fee but balked when the big screen had prices for the gills game at 23 quid. He is just a floating neutral, but it struck me that this would be the issue with a lot of floaters.

Today proved that getting the price right gets a full house.

I know gillingham aren't stoke, but there you go.

His point , not mine.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Ticket prices for league games.
« Reply #1 on January 09, 2016, 07:49:09 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It should just be £20. £15 a game would mean season tickets would have to be £250 max then.

Definitely think a deal could be done when we have 2 home games in a row where we play the Tuesday straight after a Saturday.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 09, 2016, 08:24:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I agree with them it is too pricey and should be cheaper. I would love it if they did something as a trial and see how it goes.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 09, 2016, 08:28:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
Think they can afford 15 quid if we are getting 13k crowds. Not sure dropping to 15 quid for Rochdale, Fleetwood etc is going to get 7k let alone 13k. Result is we lose money. Going to enjoy this deal why we can folks.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 09, 2016, 08:36:28 pm by colincramb »
Yes, that might be an issue with some teams, but rovers have potential. There's a huge potential supporter base to tap into that smaller towns just don't have. I said at the start of the season on this forum that I thought ticket prices were too high. The key is to hook the population and then steadily increase prices over time. As it turns out, I also went with a floating supporter today. He loved it but saw the league price for next week and probably won't bother. It's a shame

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 09, 2016, 09:02:57 pm by karldew »
I was saying today could we not do a doncaster membership cards where you buy it for a certain fee for the season, then charge the home fans £5 less than the away fans ticket prices?

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 09, 2016, 09:07:35 pm by DaveDRFC »
I was saying today could we not do a doncaster membership cards where you buy it for a certain fee for the season, then charge the home fans £5 less than the away fans ticket prices?

We already do that. It costs a tenner a season and you get 4 quid off every full price game.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 09, 2016, 09:12:08 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Pay £20 quid for a card. You get every ticket for £15?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 09, 2016, 09:26:58 pm by Canadian Rover »
£15 to watch a game on a Saturday afternoon at the Keepmoat. ...then to up the price again to £23 for the same thing makes no sense...

It's like the cinema charging £8 more to sit in the same seat, without imax or 3D for the same film just a week later.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 09, 2016, 09:40:47 pm by DaveDRFC »
£15 to watch a game on a Saturday afternoon at the Keepmoat. ...then to up the price again to £23 for the same thing makes no sense...

It's like the cinema charging £8 more to sit in the same seat, without imax or 3D for the same film just a week later.

No it's not, it's more like Amazon charging £250 for a TV, putting it on sale for £150 for a week, then putting the price back up to £250. Today's game was at a special price and loads of people took advantage of that, well done to the club for pricing it sensibly.

I'm not defending the club's pricing structure, I think £23 is too expensive, but fair play for making today's game only £15. Most other league one clubs would charge their normal league price for a game against a top flight club and we decided to make it affordable and were rewarded with a great crowd. Hopefully it will persuade some people to come back, there are ways of getting cheaper tickets if you don't want to pay £23.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 09, 2016, 09:41:17 pm by idler »
Look at how concert tickets are priced for different groups though.
It doesn't make it right but that is what they say, supply and demand.
It should be the same for all 23 games for me, that's how it used to work.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 09, 2016, 10:20:38 pm by Canadian Rover »
Supply and Demand? 

Supply is always the same...the demand was always going to be higher for Stoke than Gillingham for example....even at the same price.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 09, 2016, 10:52:41 pm by wilts rover »
There were 9000 home fans there today. If you imagine they were all adults that works out at a profit of £135k.

Which equates to a crowd of 5.8k at £23 a ticket.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 10, 2016, 12:05:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The club will lose the extra support they would get. The way around it, if the crowd number hits a certain mark, each supporter is refunded five pound, if the crowd doesn't reach that mark then it should be twenty pound. Twenty three quid to watch Gillingham is too much.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 10, 2016, 12:45:46 am by DaveDRFC »
£15 entrance to the Gillingham game with a stub from the Stoke game? Get people into the habit of going again!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 10, 2016, 01:08:09 am by hoolahoop »
We've been here before , there are also extra revenue streams with bigger crowds from the bars, food and club shop . I know we have deals in place with suppliers but we should write in clauses whereby if we drive more punters through their outlets then we should receive commission to offset the  drop in ticket price sales.

We are supplying them more customers than envisaged when the initial contracts were out to tender.

thorne viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 10, 2016, 06:49:38 am by thorne viking »
I talked an extra four into coming today at the £15 price,they all thought it was a brilliant game but won't be there for the gillingham game because of the £23 cost,so instead of us making £60 plus food and beer we will get nothing,i really think its time we look at the bradford example of getting supporters back,with beer and food my friends bought today it probably worked out the club made at least £23 anyway,i am a long time season ticket holder anyway but would love to see the ground full like today,and even though it may annoy other season ticket holders to see cheaper entrance to the ground for people turning up on the day,,i think reducing prices is the only way to get the ground full regularly

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 10, 2016, 07:40:20 am by Yorkiered »
£15 a ticket is a very short term measure. Yes we charged £15 against Stoke a premiership club and the 3rd round of the FA Cup and filled the ground but remember there was 4,000 Stoke fans in that figure.
If we charged £15 a head for the Gillingham game and the weather forecast was crap how many of those yes I really enjoyed the game and would come back at that price would bother?
The club would lose money.
We will get an increased attendance against Gillingham anyway on the back of that performance and positive comments from the BBC, so keep the prices as normal. If people want to pay less they are able to but they need to commit to more than just the one game.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 10, 2016, 09:24:28 am by colincramb »
The thing for me is we have to be creative. Unfortunately we live in an area of the country where there's lots of other competing teams for our fan base, which makes it difficult. We need to be attractive and ticket prices are part of that

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 10, 2016, 09:28:45 am by Yorkiered »
The thing for me is we have to be creative. Unfortunately we live in an area of the country where there's lots of other competing teams for our fan base, which makes it difficult. We need to be attractive and ticket prices are part of that

I agree. Maybe things like 3 for the price of 2 etc but not simply a straight £15 per ticket.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 10, 2016, 09:32:56 am by Canadian Rover »
£15 would see more away fans coming than for other teams too. People would see the value and prioritize us as an away game they go to.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 10, 2016, 09:35:15 am by DonnyOsmond »
For a town of 302,000+ we struggle to get near 3% in the ground is embarrassing.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 10, 2016, 09:54:34 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Been doing these numbers and debate for too long and the pricing issue will always come up regularly.

Broadly, I agree £23 is too much for a bog standard ticket. £20 should be the ceiling however you don't have to pay £23 if you buy a membership or multi ticket.

We do not have the same depth of support as Bradford. None of us could guarantee the additional numbers would turn up week on week to justify a reduction to £15.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 10, 2016, 09:59:12 am by roversdude »
Noticed on screen the prompt for season tickets coming soon
Why not try and sell these really cheap or 2 for 1 ala Bradford and make the money on food etc
Keep reducing game prices and you will lose season ticket sales

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 10, 2016, 10:18:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We don't make enough money on food/beer to justify that. I've seen revenue figures from past seasons/matches. If we kept the revenue and had all the catering in house we might have a case but don't forget, in that scenario we also shoulder all the costs.

There's always scope for creative marketing but there's balance and risk. As said, if there are a guaranteed 4000 additional sales out there then fine. As it stands, the club won't take that big a risk.

Before we started this season, S-M will confirm, we thought we'd agreed with the club, in line with the Twenty's plenty, that £20 would be the price for a ticket in the South Stand. For reasons best known to the club, they published prices at £23.

One of the main reasons, I'm not going to bother getting involved again on these matters.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 10, 2016, 10:40:19 am by hoolahoop »
It's as simple as this the price should be between £15 and £23 I. E. £19  it's that pychological reasoning that all retailers use to encourage punters to buy.

We need to risk it and encourage more floating fans to become supporters whilst their is this "feel good" factor.

I know it pisses off ST holders but the reduction is a marketing tool.

I always buy Toyota but I can't moan when for instance they have a 0% campaign on the cars that I buy which I didn't benefit from . It could be their 1st and only purchase if a Toyota.

Perhaps this analogy is different from week to week purchasing but illustrates my point. Overall the club aren't giving the one off discounts to the whole of the attendees just the enhanced home and away support on that day. It IS self-financing and the way forward.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 10, 2016, 10:42:52 am by Chris Black come back »
20 quid at this level seems right for adults. The aim I think though is to make it much cheaper than 23 quid if some kind of commitment is given eg multi game, half season or full season. Problem is that few if any floating fans would ever commit to that to take advantage of the savings.

Stoke was a double whammy. Cheap tickets and attractive Premier League opposition. Doubt even at 15 quid many would come to Gillingham in numbers.

On positive side, for first time in living memory we put up a good showing in front of a big home gate!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 10, 2016, 10:43:34 am by Copps is Magic »
The price is £19 if you get a membership card.

People still don't seem to be aware of this which just tells me they haven't pushed it well enough. You can get a membership at any time of the season but I can't remember seeing it advertised.

That fireworks display on the other hand....

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 10, 2016, 11:32:06 am by silent majority »
Donny Baz Rover is right, as part of the discussions we had about the south stand and making it unreserved we thought we'd agreed on a price of £20 for that area. Disappointed that it didn't happen.

Bradford by the way do have cheap season tickets but their match day price is still £25 and is a serious bone of contention for their supporters.

Membership schemes do benefit home fans, but again I find it disingenuous as it's quite simply a way of getting around FL price regulation. Away fans should be offered equivalent pricing as home fans, but membership schemes are of no benefit to an away fan. Expensive match tickets are killing off the tradition of following your team away from home much faster than the impact they are having on home support.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 10, 2016, 11:49:21 am by Copps is Magic »
Membership schemes do benefit home fans, but again I find it disingenuous as it's quite simply a way of getting around FL price regulation. Away fans should be offered equivalent pricing as home fans, but membership schemes are of no benefit to an away fan.

Only as disingenuous as a season ticket which affords the same advantage, surely?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012