Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:51:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Worried  (Read 27480 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Worried
« Reply #120 on February 17, 2016, 08:51:38 pm by drfchound »
To be fair though Dickos, home games are where most supporters see the team and the biggest source of income for the club.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on February 17, 2016, 11:35:55 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
''It seems to be happening more the way teams are set up''!, That a fair few teams are better away from home. The home records in our division apart from five maybe six teams are not that impressive, A lot of teams are picking up a point at home, And winning away, And usually the teams they do beat are lower half teams.
''There are a lot of counter attacking teams throughout the country''!, playing one up top filling the midfield, Leicester have probably been the best in the country at playing this way this season!.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on February 18, 2016, 01:03:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It's certainly true that the whole Home Advantage thing has collapsed over the past couple of decades. Yes, we've been particularly bad at home over the last few years, but there's a long trend that we're superimposed on.

Back in the early 80s, away teams would win once in 5 games or so. These days, it's more like once in 3 games.

It's harder for home teams than it used to be. My guess is that the fan support has always been over-estimated. It's more about the fact that in the 70s, away teams would turn up an hour before the game, having spent 4 hours smoking and playing cards on bone-shaker coaches. These days, they are in hotels the night before and are well-prepared on the day.

Whatever the reason, the fact is that we can't just turn up at home and expect our lads to have a big advantage. The way the current trend is going, there'll be no home advantage whatsoever at our level by 2030. So get used to seeing your team be bested at home, or spend some time going away. Or find another pastime.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on February 18, 2016, 01:24:47 am by Sammy Chung was King »
''Players don't seem to take it personal, When they get beat at home''!, Teams seemed to take a great pride in not being beat on their own patch, Now it seems the mentality is ''It's just a job, Bad day at the office''!.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on February 18, 2016, 06:40:03 am by dickos1 »
These quotes you're putting in Sammy who are they from

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on February 18, 2016, 08:26:49 am by GazLaz »

👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻 this though!! 😂😂😂😂

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on February 18, 2016, 12:19:43 pm by MachoMadness »
Savage.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on February 18, 2016, 12:39:14 pm by BigH »
It's certainly true that the whole Home Advantage thing has collapsed over the past couple of decades. Yes, we've been particularly bad at home over the last few years, but there's a long trend that we're superimposed on.

Back in the early 80s, away teams would win once in 5 games or so. These days, it's more like once in 3 games.

It's harder for home teams than it used to be. My guess is that the fan support has always been over-estimated. It's more about the fact that in the 70s, away teams would turn up an hour before the game, having spent 4 hours smoking and playing cards on bone-shaker coaches. These days, they are in hotels the night before and are well-prepared on the day.

Whatever the reason, the fact is that we can't just turn up at home and expect our lads to have a big advantage. The way the current trend is going, there'll be no home advantage whatsoever at our level by 2030. So get used to seeing your team be bested at home, or spend some time going away. Or find another pastime.
Aye. And the quality of pitches is also a big leveller nowadays. Slopes, muddy/sandpit goalmouths, a grassless swathe around the centre where the ball would stick and sodden, overgrown corners that you'd need inch long studs to walk on are largely a thing of the past. Cambridge Utd turned lower league home advantage into an art form in the early 80s with their appalling pitch, uninviting dressing rooms (no heating, cold water only) and an ugly long ball game to match. So much for progress...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on February 18, 2016, 12:48:47 pm by The Red Baron »
Savage.

Lily or Robbie?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on February 18, 2016, 12:50:58 pm by MachoMadness »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on February 18, 2016, 01:24:44 pm by IDM »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on February 18, 2016, 11:01:07 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

They're coming out of your backside, so i didn't want to take credit!.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on February 19, 2016, 12:26:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I once copped off with a lass called Shelly Savage at The Mainline.

Talk about nominative determinism...

Sweetheart. If you're out there, I've still got a soft spot for you. But it's healed over these days, fortunately.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:34:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on February 19, 2016, 08:17:59 am by IDM »
I once copped off with a lass called Shelly Savage at The Mainline.

Talk about nominative determinism...

Sweetheart. If you're out there, I've still got a soft spot for you. But it's healed over these days, fortunately.

Did she savagely insert a conch where the sun don't shine?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on February 19, 2016, 09:37:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM

Err, no. But thanks for that insight into YOUR soul...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on February 19, 2016, 01:39:56 pm by IDM »
IDM

Err, no. But thanks for that insight into YOUR soul...

Ah, no, I just took your "nominative determinism" statement literally!

Back to the point of the thread, our form is a little concerning but unlike when we struggled in the championship we do have players of the quality to pick up points and steer us away from the danger zone. 

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on February 19, 2016, 05:23:23 pm by Capmeister »
Talking to my Barnsley oppo at work, Hamill and White are currently destroying full backs. I suspect Fergie may be on the end of a spanking tomoz. Always enjoyed this derby game but fearing the worst on this occasion.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on February 19, 2016, 05:42:53 pm by The Red Baron »
Sounds like an argument for 4-4-2, or 4-5-1. With the wide midfielder to offer some cover for the full backs. But yes, I can't see anything to come from this game.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on February 19, 2016, 07:36:44 pm by dickos1 »
You need to remember we haven't lost in 4 months away from home and we've played better sides than Barnsley

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on February 19, 2016, 08:36:20 pm by idler »
The longer the run the nearer you are to it ending.
I hope that I'm wrong but we seem to be lacking a bit of strength and grit.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on February 19, 2016, 09:57:51 pm by sheffield exile1 »
We misssed creativity (although we also lacked about 100 other things last Saturday), I think with Copps back we will get that and hopefully proper service to Williams and Tyson....happier than I thought I would be but lets see at 4.50?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on February 20, 2016, 12:58:29 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We had Hammill training with us, shame we didn't get him, a nuisance of a winger at our level, good crosser of a ball at gets a goal or two, the full back against him is in for a tough afternoon!.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012