Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:37:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup 66 when the West Germans stayed at Ashbourne  (Read 1787 times)

Plumbster

• Forum Member
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I just thought this was a great story that I had never heard before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36436654

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: World Cup 66 when the West Germans stayed at Ashbourne
« Reply #1 on June 05, 2016, 08:47:31 pm by idler »
A great story. The wife's step-father bought a block of tickets and saw them play in Sheffield and Goodison I think. He saw four or five games including the final.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 07, 2016, 01:01:34 am by ScillyRover »
Idler ... You might recall some of their supporters were staying around Donny at the time. There were a few hanging around Weston Road, Balby who joined in with kick a bouts in the park. I recall the celebrations when we won the World Cup... lots of folk dancing and shouting in the streets. The visiting Germans were very sporting in defeat and joined in the celebrations.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
I want to see it just once, us winning a world cup, before i slip off this immortal curl, as del-boy said!.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 07, 2016, 07:12:11 am by idler »
Idler ... You might recall some of their supporters were staying around Donny at the time. There were a few hanging around Weston Road, Balby who joined in with kick a bouts in the park. I recall the celebrations when we won the World Cup... lots of folk dancing and shouting in the streets. The visiting Germans were very sporting in defeat and joined in the celebrations.
I knew the lads from round there as my brother lived on Browning Ave and a lot of them were also at Oswin Ave school with me. I used to generally play footy with the Balby lads in Westfield park though on Balby Rd.
I remember the night we won the World Cup I was 17 at the time. We had some pints in the White Swan to celebrate then walked down to Tuby's fair on Sandford Rd.
I was ok until I went on the waltzes, I came off green barely able to stand.
Those were the days when you always went out on a Saturday night in a suit with a shirt and tie. I was panicking I'd throw up down it. I've only been on that ride a couple of times since with kids and grandkids, I felt sick both times despite loving it until that night in 1966. John Bennett and some lads went to Hillsborough when Germany beat Switzerland 4-1 and said that they had a great time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012