Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:44:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is Roy right?  (Read 22963 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Is Roy right?
« on June 20, 2016, 12:25:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »
To make upto five changes if reports are to be believed. It sounds like as most of us wanted sturridge and vardy come in, but also Clyne for Walker and Bertrand for Rose, with Wilshere coming in as well.
It's a risk we have four points, france did it tonight but they already had six points. We face a tricky side, in Slovakia. I had a feeling he might look at france and do something similar when i saw the game tonight!.
I think if he is going to make the changes, then the full backs maybe a rest would help, because they have done a lot of running over the two games.

The strikers i wanted to see anyway, Wilshere might need a full game for sharpness. It also sounds like he is keeping Sterling in the team, is it admirable?, or pigheaded?.
 Personally i think some of the criticism has got too personal with sterling, the manager has to show faith in him. Not to support would lead to having a player in the squad who would'nt be any use to him, because it would destroy him!.
I don't think he deserves to play but sometimes a manager has to stick with certain players, and not give into the mob. If he can find anywhere near the form he had at Liverpool, then we would have a very useful player.
Overall it's risky, but if you make changes, they are in the right areas, what do you think?.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Is Roy right?
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2016, 12:40:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
No, he should continue to play the best team he can. They can only improve on the pattern of play if they do this. I would start Vardy and Sturridge at the expense of Kane and Sterling. Get the job done.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 20, 2016, 01:37:33 am by bpoolrover »
I would make changed we should win anyway and prob go thru if we lose

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 20, 2016, 06:14:13 am by The Red Baron »
It's a major tournament. You play your best available XI. End of.

If we lose and finish third we'll probably go through, but we'll face a more difficult opponent in the next game.

Vardy and Sturridge for Kane and Sterling should be the only changes he's contemplating, barring injuries.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 20, 2016, 07:18:19 am by Donnywolf »
Agree .... play best side (as he sees it).

No point resting anyone as who knows we may have just one game to come after Croatia anyway !

HOWEVER if we do continue to win we need as DonnyBazRover said earlier to develop the system and the understanding

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 20, 2016, 07:22:52 am by GazLaz »
He might make 6 changes the papers say. I'd have made 3 or even 4 at an avsolute push but 6 is too many for me. He should get the sack if we lose.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 20, 2016, 07:30:57 am by 1879Rovers »
Two obvious changes in attack. I would rest Cahill, who is on a booking. I would bring in Wilshere for Alli - I thought he looked knackered in the last half hour. Even a defeat would see us go through and I don't think it matters where we finish, no stand out team in the competition and if we are to win it, we have to beat them at some stage.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 20, 2016, 07:41:51 am by Metalmicky »
It's a major tournament. You play your best available XI. End of.

If we lose and finish third we'll probably go through, but we'll face a more difficult opponent in the next game.

Vardy and Sturridge for Kane and Sterling should be the only changes he's contemplating, barring injuries.

Disagree - it's a major tournament so you manage your squad and make sure you have your best players available as we progress...

I would also rest Ali and leave Cahill out and I would bring Milner in for Sterling...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 20, 2016, 07:53:27 am by The Red Baron »
If we'd won the first game I would probably agree with 6 changes, but we haven't even qualified for certain yet.

Better to start with a strong team and if we're winning comfortably then make changes.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 20, 2016, 09:16:55 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
I would hope that even if he changed 11 players that the starting XI would be strong enough to beat Slovakia.

In addition, the changes allow other partnerships to be created i.e. Wilshere and Dier in midfield might work well.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2016, 09:54:43 am by The Red Baron »
We shouldn't underestimate Slovakia. They were unlucky not to get something from the Wales game and they beat Russia, which is more than we could manage.

Three changes is quite enough. Six is excessive.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2016, 10:04:00 am by wing commander »
    I agree make the changes...We have a history of sticking with the same team in tournaments...After a hard premiership season they play 3 games in 9 days I'm sure that contributes when it comes to the knockout stages...Some of the changes are like for like and it keeps everybody involved, and key players fresher for the inevitable extra time in the knockouts...Slovakia shouldnt be underestimated I agree but crikey if we cant put out a team to be able to beat them out of our squad then we wont win it anyway...
    Other big teams arnt afraid to make the changes France and Germany do it regulary...So we should be frightened of it either...

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 20, 2016, 10:10:40 am by DearneValleyRover »
    I agree make the changes...We have a history of sticking with the same team in tournaments...After a hard premiership season they play 3 games in 9 days I'm sure that contributes when it comes to the knockout stages...Some of the changes are like for like and it keeps everybody involved, and key players fresher for the inevitable extra time in the knockouts...Slovakia shouldnt be underestimated I agree but crikey if we cant put out a team to be able to beat them out of our squad then we wont win it anyway...
    Other big teams arnt afraid to make the changes France and Germany do it regulary...So we should be frightened of it either...

Agreed, the only problem I would have is if Sterling keeps his place.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 20, 2016, 10:29:51 am by drfchound »
To make upto five changes if reports are to be believed. It sounds like as most of us wanted sturridge and vardy come in, but also Clyne for Walker and Bertrand for Rose, with Wilshere coming in as well.
It's a risk we have four points, france did it tonight but they already had six points. We face a tricky side, in Slovakia. I had a feeling he might look at france and do something similar when i saw the game tonight!.
I think if he is going to make the changes, then the full backs maybe a rest would help, because they have done a lot of running over the two games.

The strikers i wanted to see anyway, Wilshere might need a full game for sharpness. It also sounds like he is keeping Sterling in the team, is it admirable?, or pigheaded?.
 Personally i think some of the criticism has got too personal with sterling, the manager has to show faith in him. Not to support would lead to having a player in the squad who would'nt be any use to him, because it would destroy him!.
I don't think he deserves to play but sometimes a manager has to stick with certain players, and not give into the mob. If he can find anywhere near the form he had at Liverpool, then we would have a very useful player.
Overall it's risky, but if you make changes, they are in the right areas, what do you think?.

Seeing as Vardy and Sturridge came on for Sterling and Kane wouldn't it be logical to assume that if Vardy and Sturridge are starting against Slovakia it would mean that Sterling and Kane don't play?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 20, 2016, 10:41:20 am by wing commander »

That's something else that's annoyed me..Sterling has had two poor games I agree but again the reaction is another symptom of this countries negative attitude..This campaign to pay for him a ticket home to me is scandalous..In every paper last week there was a article showing this so called England fan in his replica kit crowing about how much money it has raised for charity...Stories like that shouldn't get anywhere near publication while a tournament is half way through...Sterling is capable of that moment of magic that might be the difference between going forward or a flight home..He's a confidence player so what good does slaughtering him in the press do???? it's fine when the post mortem is delivered if we fail but sometimes I wonder whether some people actually want us to do well.....

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 20, 2016, 11:34:44 am by RoversAlias »
For me, I wouldn't be making so many changes as there is still plenty to play for despite the fact we are almost certain to advance. We want to be winning this group, not finishing third and being handed a tougher second round match.

That said, of the alleged six changes, I can agree with four of them anyway - Vardy and Sturridge should be starting over Kane and Sterling on merit anyway, and our other full backs are similar types of player to Walker and Rose. If they were on bookings it would make more sense I guess.

Wilshere and Henderson both starting in midfield is not something I'd be keen on however.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 20, 2016, 11:42:41 am by bpoolrover »
He might make 6 changes the papers say. I'd have made 3 or even 4 at an avsolute push but 6 is too many for me. He should get the sack if we lose.
so if we lost then say got to the final or won it he should be sacked? The French made changes and didn't win should there manager be sacked? Tournament football is about getting the best out of the players throughout the competion,every player was picked on merit and should be good enough to beat Slovakia

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 20, 2016, 12:12:20 pm by GazLaz »
If we lose and finish 3rd in the group it will be a disaster. We should still win but there is definitely less chance of us doing so. It's a gamble.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 20, 2016, 12:19:50 pm by DearneValleyRover »

That's something else that's annoyed me..Sterling has had two poor games I agree but again the reaction is another symptom of this countries negative attitude..This campaign to pay for him a ticket home to me is scandalous..In every paper last week there was a article showing this so called England fan in his replica kit crowing about how much money it has raised for charity...Stories like that shouldn't get anywhere near publication while a tournament is half way through...Sterling is capable of that moment of magic that might be the difference between going forward or a flight home..He's a confidence player so what good does slaughtering him in the press do???? it's fine when the post mortem is delivered if we fail but sometimes I wonder whether some people actually want us to do well.....

I've never enjoyed the National obsession of kicking someone when they are down in the media. I didn't agree with Sterling's inclusion in the squad purely based on his complete lack of form this season, nor did I believe that Henderson or Wiltshire should go due to a lack of fitness. Sterling's performances so far in this tournament back up what I thought. I believe he should be dropped but not ridiculed. 

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 20, 2016, 12:22:39 pm by IDM »
A disaster??

Really?  or just a disappointment?

Not qualifying when 3 from a group can get through, and when we already have 4 points, now that would be a failure for certain!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 20, 2016, 12:58:41 pm by Dutch Uncle »
As a Welshman I shall be mighty p*****d off if England lose to Slovakia after these changes, and that result puts Wales out  :thumbdown:

Of course Wales just need to do the business against Russia but I have a horrible feeling (I have been supporting Rovers for to long I suppose) that it might go wrong.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 20, 2016, 01:10:51 pm by The Red Baron »
Wales will win 2-1. England's Reserves will draw 1-1. We will go through in second and potentially meet Portugal in Round 2.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 20, 2016, 01:14:11 pm by drfchound »
If that was the case i would welcome a game against Portugal because they really do look to be a poor side.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 20, 2016, 01:32:10 pm by The Red Baron »
If that was the case i would welcome a game against Portugal because they really do look to be a poor side.

Bit of a nemesis for England though. Also I can't believe Ronaldo will continue to play so poorly.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 20, 2016, 02:04:11 pm by IDM »
I think Wales will win..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 20, 2016, 06:08:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We have the basis of a good team that can frighten anyone, I don't see how changing the team to the degree we're hearing will help our continuous improvement. Also seems to be underestimating the opposition.

I really hope the team he puts out does the business otherwise he'll come in for some warranted criticism.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 20, 2016, 06:10:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We have the basis of a good team that can frighten anyone

The thought of our defence coming up against Spain or Germany or France certainly scares me.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 20, 2016, 06:39:46 pm by Copps is Magic »
I'm scared about Croatia, Belgium and Portugal, never mind those lot.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 20, 2016, 06:49:19 pm by Filo »
Six changes from the last starting line up, recipe for disaster imo

England XI to play Slovakia: Hart, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand, Clyne, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Lallana, Vardy, Sturridge. #SSNHQ
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:54:09 pm by Filo »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 20, 2016, 07:02:58 pm by The Red Baron »
Six changes from the last starting line up, recipe for disaster imo

England XI to play Slovakia: Hart, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand, Clyne, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Lallana, Vardy, Sturridge. #SSNHQ

I agree. Wilshere for Alli I can live with, but leaving Rooney out is madness. He's been our best midfielder and it was no coincidence that we conceded when he came off against Russia.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012