Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:13:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ..there's ..er .. some people on the Pitch - they think it's all over. It is NOW  (Read 1337 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
... 50 years ago today - time flies !

Just watching the celebration of the day the win the occasion on BBC and I have noticed before many times that the Commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme went "a little early" with the now legendary lines above.

He actually says "it is now" when the ball is nowhere near the net and would have looked an a*** if it had missed. Have a look at that - maybe someone can provide proof for me - and also notice the huge bobble the ball took just before Geoff Hurst connected.

It was a great day the like of which I don't think I will see again unless Sam can do the business !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
I still reckon without that bobble Hursts's shot would have been low and saved by a keeper who was looking for a low shot. Just shows there are occasionally days when luck goes with you.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
... I AGREE on both points

That was a slice of luck (probably) as was the controversial "goal" by Geoff Hurst. Nothing will ever convince me that went in and so I suppose the Lampard goal v Germany was payback for that one v West Germany !

What goes around come around so they say

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
The 3rd goal was payback for the very dodgy free kick that led to the German equaliser.

The fact that the lino remembered Stalingrad helped as well!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
What memories, I had been at Summer Camp at Appletreewick with DVHS and listened on the radio the qualifying rounds. Came home on the Friday before the final looking forward to watching it. Bad news my Mums relatives from Wales were visiting, elderly Aunties and Uncles, ended up sat on a straight back chair at the side of the telly with the sound turned right down and looking "round the corner" to watch it. Have to say one thing about the relatives they couldn't half rattle on!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012