Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:24:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Superb Richie Wellens Interview  (Read 7736 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Superb Richie Wellens Interview
« Reply #30 on September 02, 2016, 06:07:17 pm by drfchound »
You mean this professional? And anybody who witnessed his behaviour, as I did, towards his fellow professionals and female attendees at the 'End of Season Dinner' a couple of years back will know exactly what I mean. There are other examples which I'd rather not go into. He may give good interviews, and he may look the part on the pitch but that's not the full story is it?

And how old is that photo anyway?
I am afraid that you are clutching at straws SM.
Because you didn't say you don't know him well I can assume that you do not.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 02, 2016, 06:09:46 pm by drfchound »
You mean this professional? And anybody who witnessed his behaviour, as I did, towards his fellow professionals and female attendees at the 'End of Season Dinner' a couple of years back will know exactly what I mean. There are other examples which I'd rather not go into. He may give good interviews, and he may look the part on the pitch but that's not the full story is it?

What a bas**rd he must be, making a joke in a photo. I've also seen otherwise very mature people act like idiots at a party / after a drink or five. The fact is, unless you know him personally you can't really say whether or not he is mature enough to be a football manager.

The adjectives are all yours. If you care to read my original post I suggested he needed to grow up a bit.

Backing off a bit now are you?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 02, 2016, 06:16:27 pm by dknward2 »
the photo was from last season

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 02, 2016, 06:29:42 pm by drfchound »
Not sure that is last seasons shirt.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 02, 2016, 06:32:30 pm by Sad-Rovers »
As much as I'm enjoying you smacking SM around that's definitely last seasons squad photo.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 02, 2016, 06:44:58 pm by drfchound »
Just wasn't sure about the shirt Sad.
Maybe someone could post a photo of last seasons shirt.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:48:11 pm by drfchound »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 02, 2016, 07:04:16 pm by Filo »
Just wasn't sure about the shirt Sad.
Maybe someone could post a photo of last seasons shirt.

Would the fact that Richard Chaplow is sat next to him convince you?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 02, 2016, 08:17:17 pm by drfchound »
Could do, i was viewing from a mobile phone and the picture was a bit hazy. :thumbsup:
It doesn't alter the fact that IMO there was a disrespectful comment made about RW without any personal knowledge on the player.
Others appear to back me up too.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 02, 2016, 08:37:21 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It was certainly an unnecessary comment and is witness to a degree of antipathy towards one of the finest footballers to play for our club.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 02, 2016, 10:46:32 pm by Jonathan »
We're all entitled to our opinions. However lots of people have made mistakes in their time. Jose Mourinho deliberately poked someone in the eye and he's still made a good manager despite being a bit of an arsehole.

Wellens could be temperamental at times and I'm sure some of his behaviour wasn't the best, but he was a damn good player for us. For me what he produced on the pitch far outweighs his moods. Probably the second best central midfielder I've ever seen play for us behind Brian Stock - and to think we had them both in the same team at their respective peaks.

That interview suggests Wellens is maturing and putting time into his coaching qualifications. He certainly has some good influences to draw on from his playing experiences. Good luck to him. If in the future he's involved here then I'll be happy to see him as long as he turns into a good coach or manager!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:51:31 pm by Jonathan »

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 02, 2016, 10:55:02 pm by Nudga »
He could do polishing up on his people skills though, especially around and towards young kids.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 03, 2016, 12:52:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
He could do with polishing up his "let's stick my finger down the leg of my shorts and pretend it's my cock" skills.

That example was f**king useless.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 03, 2016, 09:21:28 am by Chris Black come back »
Folk have drawn parallel with Keane and that is probably about right - albeit at different levels.

Both at their levels were head and shoulders above their peers. Couldn't understand why others failed to match their talent or intensity.

Both will likely fail as managers because they look down on players rather than bringing them up.

Mr Motivator certainly was not Wellens. If you were youth teamer at Rovers not sure Richie would have been the guy to give you a quiet word of encouragement.

Blessed and crippled by great talent.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 03, 2016, 09:25:55 am by silent majority »
As much as I'm enjoying you smacking SM around that's definitely last seasons squad photo.

Smacked around?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 03, 2016, 09:28:10 am by silent majority »

What a bas**rd he must be, making a joke in a photo. I've also seen otherwise very mature people act like idiots at a party / after a drink or five. The fact is, unless you know him personally you can't really say whether or not he is mature enough to be a football manager.

The adjectives are all yours. If you care to read my original post I suggested he needed to grow up a bit.

Backing off a bit now are you?

Not at all, just reminding people what I actually wrote as opposed to what you think I wrote.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 03, 2016, 09:36:50 am by GazLaz »
I think there is a good chance he will be the next Salford manager.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 03, 2016, 11:30:36 am by silent majority »

Smacked around?

Like a ginger stepchild

Whatever turns you on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 03, 2016, 12:17:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ironic that Dean Saunders did exactly the same thing on Brighton's team photo many years ago.

I'm sure Richie is aware he needs to adapt as he goes in to management and appreciates it's a different world to being one of the lads.

He's clearly prepared to do the groundwork and start at a sensible level. He's had the benefit of playing under some great managers and very good to hear him hold SO'D and DF in high regard.

5 years time, I'm sure we'll come across him again one way or another.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 03, 2016, 01:09:08 pm by drfchound »
Folk have drawn parallel with Keane and that is probably about right - albeit at different levels.

Both at their levels were head and shoulders above their peers. Couldn't understand why others failed to match their talent or intensity.

Both will likely fail as managers because they look down on players rather than bringing them up.

Mr Motivator certainly was not Wellens. If you were youth teamer at Rovers not sure Richie would have been the guy to give you a quiet word of encouragement.

Blessed and crippled by great talent.

Not sure that is quite the case Chris.
Young Middleton appeared to be a confident young player when he first came into the team alongside Wellens.
HM certainly lost his way after RW moved on and that has been noted elsewhere on this forum.
Possibly Wellens had been guiding him?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 03, 2016, 01:16:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound

I'll disagree with you again in this point. Midfleton's best spell by far last season was Nov Dec after Wellens had been shipped out to Oldham and Middleton was paired with Conor Grant. He looked a different player to the one who had partnered Wellens for the bits of the first three months of the season that Wellens had deigned to make himself available. 

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 03, 2016, 01:22:07 pm by NickDRFC »
Agree with that, BST. Hound, I know you've mentioned this before about Middleton and Wellens but I thought Middleton looked average at best both before and after that pairing with Grant. I think that people are/were exaggerating the strength of his early performances because it was good to see a young teamed break through into the first team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 03, 2016, 01:25:17 pm by drfchound »
No problem if you disagree lads.
I always though that Wellens trusted Harry with the ball and wasn't scared to give it to him in tight situations.
Harry responded well to that and appeared to play quite well when Wellens was also in the team.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 03, 2016, 01:26:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Copps, Stock, Wellens, Greeny.

Odd bunch of personalities that was.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 03, 2016, 04:48:53 pm by German Rover »
Ironic that Dean Saunders did exactly the same thing on Brighton's team photo many years ago.

It wasn't Deanos finger sticking out his shorts!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012