Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:26:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps  (Read 9975 times)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Copps
« Reply #30 on September 12, 2016, 10:27:56 pm by Mr1Croft »
What generation is that then,is it the one that knows nothing about football.

Only as good as the generation that raised it...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 12, 2016, 10:34:49 pm by IDM »
Copps was part of the successive teams that made progress in the final years at BV, won a national trophy, and was part of (probably) the finest midfield to play for Doncaster, for a while we were as good as anyone else in the championship.  So what if he has not achieved the same heights since?  The whole team has been in decline for several seasons so you can't expect one player to be at the height of his career all the time, can you?

Copps is and has been good enough for the league he is in.  I reckon he is too good for league 2, even at his age.

If he could have been as good as the midfield was in 08/09/10 he would still be playing in the championship.

Not only that despite what you may think about the standards of his play, Copps always comes across as the ideal pro.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 12, 2016, 10:40:17 pm by wilts rover »
And here he is the so called voice of reason, yet again trying to pick faults when something good occurs.

In fairness I was only pointing out that he costs us far more than £60 a game. I made a comment reference his performances which was half tongue in cheek - personally I think he's one of the most overrated players of my generation. That being said I'm not taking anything away from what he has achieved, not least of all racking up 500 appearances.

It is impossible for both of those statements to be true. I'm with Sproty, bring back Grammer Schools.

And while we are at it, for several years now you have been moaning about Rovers not paying transfer fees for players - and ignoring their cost in wages. Now you have decided to ignore the transfer fee, but concentrate on the wages. Funny that.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 12, 2016, 10:41:12 pm by Mr1Croft »
On his day Copps is unplayable, I will give you that. He's probably one of the better technically gifted players the club has ever had and is probably on par with both McIndoe and Wellens in terms of technical ability.

However, his consistency and vision are probably the reasons why he could never really progress higher than a low end Championship club. I've spent the last ten years watching Coppinger dance round opponents only to get to the byline and deliver a cross to no-one. Or cut inside for the shot when better options are available for a pass.

Cotterill was a prime example of how effective this type of player can be when they apply some vision and consistency.

I'm not knocking Coppinger's achievements or his place in our history. I'm merely saying those 500 games haven't all been glorious 5 star performances, not by a long way.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 12, 2016, 10:43:13 pm by Mr1Croft »
And here he is the so called voice of reason, yet again trying to pick faults when something good occurs.

In fairness I was only pointing out that he costs us far more than £60 a game. I made a comment reference his performances which was half tongue in cheek - personally I think he's one of the most overrated players of my generation. That being said I'm not taking anything away from what he has achieved, not least of all racking up 500 appearances.

It is impossible for both of those statements to be true. I'm with Sproty, bring back Grammer Schools.

And while we are at it, for several years now you have been moaning about Rovers not paying transfer fees for players - and ignoring their cost in wages. Now you have decided to ignore the transfer fee, but concentrate on the wages. Funny that.

Think you may have me confused with someone else (Frosty perhaps?).

I've spent most of the last 6 years trying to make those fans understand transfer fees aren't everything and at our level wages will always be the most important factor...

EDIT: For the record my opinion doesn't make his medals and place in our history any less important or irrelevant. Mark Wilson was berated by many on here but he was part of the Manchester United squad that won the treble...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 12, 2016, 10:49:19 pm by RedJ »
Aye I forgot he was a real kingpin of that United side...

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 13, 2016, 08:59:38 am by DonnyOsmond »
What generation is that then,is it the one that knows nothing about football.

Only as good as the generation that raised it...

Is the one that raised it the one that constantly yells "GERRIT UP!"?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 13, 2016, 10:31:42 am by wing commander »
On his day Copps is unplayable, I will give you that. He's probably one of the better technically gifted players the club has ever had and is probably on par with both McIndoe and Wellens in terms of technical ability.

However, his consistency and vision are probably the reasons why he could never really progress higher than a low end Championship club. I've spent the last ten years watching Coppinger dance round opponents only to get to the byline and deliver a cross to no-one. Or cut inside for the shot when better options are available for a pass.

Cotterill was a prime example of how effective this type of player can be when they apply some vision and consistency.

I'm not knocking Coppinger's achievements or his place in our history. I'm merely saying those 500 games haven't all been glorious 5 star performances, not by a long way.

A pretty good synopsis Lee...Then again if he could do those things then he wouldn't have just played his 500th game for us, so maybe being selfish that was a good thing for us because he has certainly got more quality than we would have replaced him with over the years...
   I've been a big critic of Coppingers performances over the last 18 months,tbh I thought he was a big let down last season both in his play and captaincy and thought his time had come to be replaced..I also didn't think league 2 would suit him due to the physicality of it....
    However it looks like that's not the case and after a awful start at Accrington he has come good again and looks to good for this league at the minute...He has to keep it going though now,he has been in the limelight over the last month with lots of attention over his 500th game and rightly so because that's a rare massive achievement and he will always be a Rovers legend with the likes of Kitchen,Jeffrey,Douglas and Heritage ;-),...That will die down after Saturday though and I hope he doesn't fall off the high standards he's set over the last month...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 13, 2016, 11:06:53 am by Alan Southstand »
Nice piece in the Free Press, where he even mentions how hard the injured players are working to get back in contention for a first team place. Seems to be gaining massive respect from the players at the Club. Long may it continue, as good team spirit can only add to performances on the field.

I'm sure Copps (and the rest) will realise that we desperately need to follow up Saturday's excellent result with a good home performance and result.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 13, 2016, 11:29:01 am by BobG »
Anything less than 8-0, to Rovers, can only be a complete failure.

BobG

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 13, 2016, 12:01:20 pm by rtid88 »

One of the most ridiculous posts on this forum I think I have ever read. You should be barred from this forum for this post alone. Total numpty!!

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 13, 2016, 12:08:10 pm by wesisback »
Don't let handing nice plaques over to him blind your view though.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 13, 2016, 12:56:53 pm by German Rover »

One of the most ridiculous posts on this forum I think I have ever read. You should be barred from this forum for this post alone. Total numpty!!

Banned for having an opinion that's different than other people's? Brilliant! I'd agree he's been good but not the superstar people talk about him like. Doing it in the odd game isn't enough. It's the same as people talking about his loyalty. He was quick enough to get off the bus when forest called. If he'd played better there do you think he'd have come back? Not a chance. Take of the rose tinted glasses

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 13, 2016, 01:06:25 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
He cost us £30,000 from Exeter all those years ago, didn't he? Five hundred games played; by my maths that equates to £60 per game. Not bad value, eh?

Genius! Never thought about it that way.

Should have clarified: of course, I'm fully aware that the cost to the Club has been far more than £60 per game; just trying to point out that compared to some of the players that we have paid transfer fees for over the years Copps' fee must rank as THE bargain of over the last 12 years.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 13, 2016, 01:44:47 pm by drfchound »
I just don't understand why some supporters feel the need to "put down" Coppinger.
I don't think anyone would have expected Copps to produce 5 star performances in every game (does any player?).
As for him being massively over rated, well i don't go with that either.
He has performed very well for a number of years in the Championship and that is allegedly the second tier of the best league in the World.
He has been an excellent player for us in L1 and is proving still that he is a very good footballer, again, as has been said, far too good for for L2.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 13, 2016, 02:03:28 pm by bobjimwilly »
I think he has been a consistent L1 player for most of his career. He played very well for many games in that 1st season in the championship when he was surrounded by championship quality. He has also underperformed in L1 at times, which of course is frustrating for fans when we know, and have witnessed, his potential. In terms of him being professional, I don't know a single time has hasn't stopped to talk to fans, sign things for fans or made excuses not to attend Rovers-related events, (even taking selfies with fans who tried to mutiny his testimonial!) which I cannot say for a lot of players who have played for us.

I don't think anyone can deny he has been a great player for Rovers, and he deserves all the accolades he has earned over his career with us, including trophies, plaques, testimonials, player of the month, player of the year...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:07:27 pm by bobjimwilly »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 13, 2016, 03:20:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I don't think anyone between SOD and Fergie has got the best out of him.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:11:35 pm by DonnyOsmond »

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 13, 2016, 04:45:22 pm by wesisback »
(even taking selfies with fans who tried to mutiny his testimonial!)
Who was that then Bobby? The only person who made a mess of his testimonial was the man himself, his agent and Brian Butcher who attempted to cream every penny they could out of the One Direction fans at the expense of Rovers fans.
Unfortuantely they surrounded themselves with yes men when putting the ideas together. If I recall correctly (of course I actually mean by checking the screenshots) they intended to charge Children the same as adults, therfore really milking the Tomlinson buck. Luckily we came along, not dazed like schoolgirls at being involved with Copps and challenged it before a great big backtrack followed.
The prices were far too steep as we forewarned and I treated myself to a big fat belly laugh when the attendance reflected it. Rovers fans were fobbed off with the Middlesbrough game that post Legends game seemed to go a bit quiet, along with all the other planned events (if you need reminding I have screenshots). I personally pushed the club with the Middlesbrough game to keep Copps' achievement on the agenda as by and large he's been a fantastic servant to the club.
To say those events didn't leave a sour taste in my mouth would be a lie but I hold no grudges, you know me.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 13, 2016, 06:37:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
How we perceive players is largely affected by overall results. We've seen a host of players, Copps, Wellens, Stock, Hayter JO'C etc at their height, and the same players when we were at a low ebb. The natural thing to think when all is not going well, is they're past it!

Copps last season was still busting a gut but in a team that wasn't performing he was always up against it. You have to give alot of credit to DF for managing him to get the best out of him in a position that suits Copps and the team.

We should not be surprised he seems to have had a new lease of life. Maybe, he never lost it in the first place. They say class is permanent.  Long may he reign!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:40:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 13, 2016, 07:14:20 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Spot on Baz.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 15, 2016, 09:45:04 am by bobjimwilly »
Don't call me Bobby, Wes, Rob is fine. Everyone at the testimonial enjoyed the event, there was no need for the likes of you to try and damage it and spoil it for Copps. I just think it's the height of hypocrisy to initally agree to help Copps with his testimonial, sit in a box and take selfies with the man, then go online days later and tell everyone why they shouldn't go and make out like he's a money grabbing whore of a player. The fact that Copps can turn a blind eye shows the nature of the gentleman, whereas it's my belief you have showed everyone your nature with those actions and the fact you "bellylaugh" because of the disappointing turnout.

Cheers.

klindle

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 15, 2016, 06:57:58 pm by klindle »
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR FACTS FROM REGARDING BRIAN BUTCHER? PERHAPS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUPPLY YOUR REAL NAME ONLINE AND SHOW YOUR FULL IDENTITY BEFORE TAKING THIS MATTER FURTHER?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 16, 2016, 07:35:26 am by DonnyOsmond »
Hi Brian.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 16, 2016, 08:40:24 am by wesisback »
Don't call me Bobby, Wes, Rob is fine. Everyone at the testimonial enjoyed the event, there was no need for the likes of you to try and damage it and spoil it for Copps. I just think it's the height of hypocrisy to initally agree to help Copps with his testimonial, sit in a box and take selfies with the man, then go online days later and tell everyone why they shouldn't go and make out like he's a money grabbing whore of a player. The fact that Copps can turn a blind eye shows the nature of the gentleman, whereas it's my belief you have showed everyone your nature with those actions and the fact you "bellylaugh" because of the disappointing turnout.

Cheers.
Your timeline and turn of events is all wrong Roberto.
Firstly there was no offer of help, there was a comfortable looking meeting that was organised that one of my comrades found out about. I cannot remember who emailed who off hand but it resulted in Lewis finding his way to the meeting. Before that said meeting we had a few cheeky announcements from Brian on the Facebook page including the prices (£20 adult and concessions).
The photo in a box had zero relevance to the failed testimonial and was after a fan panel with Mark Bradley. I'd already made my views clear at that point and Copps would have been more than welcome to discuss anything he thought was unfair  (of which there was very little). He didn't turn a blind eye as there was nothing to turn a blind eye about. We said the price was too high and we were right.
You see the difference with me and you 'Rob' is that I can see through who it is. I have no issue with Copps as a person or as a player but he got this event very wrong. Surely in hindsight you can see that? The aim should have been for a full ground before looking at other streams for revenue.

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR FACTS FROM REGARDING BRIAN BUTCHER? PERHAPS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUPPLY YOUR REAL NAME ONLINE AND SHOW YOUR FULL IDENTITY BEFORE TAKING THIS MATTER FURTHER?

Drop me a PM. You can gladly have the screenshots of your messages if you've forgotten what you wrote.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 16, 2016, 08:50:12 am by The Red Baron »
Funny, isn't it, how a thread which starts with a positive message - I.e let's try to get as many people along to tomorrow's game as possible - ends up with old sores being picked at?

Just another day on the VSC forum, I suppose.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 16, 2016, 08:58:44 am by VivaRovers »
Coppinger has done two things which don't sit well with me personally...

- his testimonial, as Wes says, was priced too high and allowed too much involvement/focus from/on Louis Tomlinson. I don't think anyone can argue with that. As it happens I enjoyed the game immensely, but I was only there because I was in for free to commentate - I wouldn't have paid the asking price.

- getting involved in that horse-racing syndicate with Mark Wilson and co.

Two instances over 12 years, not bad going given I can think of no end of Rovers players who've irritated me within a few weeks. And two instances that I am more than willing to forgive him for, for all the enjoyment he has given me watching Rovers, and watching him.

Of course he hasn't consistently delivered his very best for us. He'd have disappeared off to play in the top flight a decade ago if he had. And so what if he's shanked the odd cross into the South Stand, the amount of times he's had me on the edge of my seat, or cushioned a ball perfectly as it drops from the stratosphere more than make up for it.

We're probably talking about one of our greatest ever players here - certainly THE greatest in my time watching - so, as someone else pointed out, I really don't get the need or want to hate on him or undermine his achievements.

Take the bickering off to another thread or your PMs, or better yet, just forget about it and move on.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on September 16, 2016, 09:35:38 am by Filo »

Take the bickering off to another thread or your PMs, or better yet, just forget about it and move on.

Amen

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 16, 2016, 09:53:18 am by GazLaz »
The Tomlinson game wasn't the testimonial though was it.... Anyway, why do so many people want to turn football into politics? Turn up, watch the game, shout and sing, go home.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 16, 2016, 10:02:40 am by RedJ »
What do you actually need help with Sad?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on September 16, 2016, 10:51:21 am by bobjimwilly »
Just another day on the VSC forum, I suppose.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2mbGP6vFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2mbGP6vFI</a>

TinyPortal © 2005-2012