Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:44:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Am i the only one?  (Read 2029 times)

darren61

Am i the only one?
« on September 21, 2016, 08:59:47 pm by darren61 »
Being a single Dad on a small income, ive two boys 4 and 7yrs, ive started buying Christmas presents already. will anyone else own up to this madness? :pinch:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re: Am i the only one?
« Reply #1 on September 21, 2016, 09:03:52 pm by graingrover »
Yep .. I'm saving to take my grand daughter to see the 'Lion King 'in London's West End .. as a Xmas pressie  ! Next year it'll be her first Rovers' game before her DAD whips her off to watch Spurs.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:06:12 pm by graingrover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 21, 2016, 09:13:00 pm by BobG »
I'm 50% of you Darren. Single Dad with one lad. As he's now a full on teenager he's a complete pain in the ass. Where did that lovely and willing boy go?

Bob

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 21, 2016, 09:29:56 pm by Superspy »
Not single, but the wife has started buying xmas presents for our little girl already.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 21, 2016, 09:30:34 pm by The Red Baron »
By the end of the month I may have bought Christmas presents for three friends. Still a way to go though.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 21, 2016, 09:52:06 pm by rich1471 »
Not got any presents but somebody got up Christmas lights up feel like taking them down for them way to early for that

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 21, 2016, 10:24:30 pm by Draytonian III »
Spent the last 5 weeks at work sorting out Xmas trees, gift wrapping, Xmas lights,those wonderful reindeer that people put on their roofs ,and other such brilliant Xmas stuff !!!! Nothing to do with buying presents I know

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 21, 2016, 10:48:42 pm by JonWallsend »
Sorry Darren. I've just checked with The Charlatans and apparently you're not the only one.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 22, 2016, 12:59:11 pm by idler »
I bought the youngest grandson a ps4 for Christmas and three games.
I'm waiting for others to contribute whilst telling him that if he doesn't behave better and try harder at school I'll be selling it.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 23, 2016, 10:15:02 am by bobjimwilly »
kids xmas presents sorted. boom! haha

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 23, 2016, 10:01:45 pm by jucyberry »
I'm 50% of you Darren. Single Dad with one lad. As he's now a full on teenager he's a complete pain in the ass. Where did that lovely and willing boy go?

Bob

Lord, doesn't seem possible that Alex is a teenager, only seems five mins ago that he was a teeny! Where does the time go?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 23, 2016, 10:03:46 pm by BobG »
He's 15. And he's a big lump of unpleasant with occasional moments of sweetness. Sad to say that, tbh, I don't actually like him very much at the moment.

Bob

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 23, 2016, 10:12:18 pm by jucyberry »
Lol, welcome to the twilight zone in which your sweet child morphs into an unlovable little A hole... the comfort is that it's only a temporary thing. The teenage years are horribly exhausting.

Adam hit 16 on the dot and turned overnight from a boy disgusted by cigarettes to one of a scruffy little band of stoners.. Very depressing.

By 20 though as you know he became  a single dad and grew up.

I feel your pain Bob, I truly do..xx

darren61

« Reply #13 on September 23, 2016, 10:29:31 pm by darren61 »
That is so sad, Bob and jucyberry, my boys are 7yrs and 4yrs, and its been hard for all of us since their Mum died two yrs ago, im 54yrs old and dont want to go through what you are going through, i just want to live long enough to see them grow to young adults and be happy, so i can go in peace.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 23, 2016, 11:06:44 pm by BobG »
Hi Darren

I've brought up Alex on my own since he was 1 year old. His Mum didn't die - she had her demons. She lives in Reading now - and so does Alex. He really was a loveable, caring and affectionate boy. Talented too in several ways. But he and I had the most almighty falling out about 3 months back. It was very, very bad news. The end result is he now lives with his Mum, he's changed school, he's stayed down a year and peace is only just starting to break out.

The conclusion? They don't half change. And managing them through that change is a challenge that I failed. Do your reading and advice taking early. When the day arrives, it's neither pleasant nor easy. I imagine each child is different, but Alex began to go off the rails when he was 14. And nothing school or I tried made the slightest bit of difference.

Bob

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 23, 2016, 11:35:58 pm by jucyberry »
The foundations you gave him will always be there Bob, 14 years of love and support are never totally forgotten.. and let's face it, we both know one of the lessons in life is that the grass isn't always greener. At the moment his mum is a novelty, your big challenge is to be there, the security he knows he has always had whilst he tries to stretch the reins.

Easier said than done I know.

darren61

« Reply #16 on September 23, 2016, 11:45:19 pm by darren61 »
I am sorry to hear that Bob, i cant imagine your pain. I can only pray that my boys and i have a good relationship when they grow into young men. I have done my best, and will continue to try to bring them up the best i can, and hope for a good outcome.
But as parents, we never know the outcome. Bless you mate, never give up and never blame yourself.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 23, 2016, 11:49:12 pm by jucyberry »
That is so sad, Bob and jucyberry, my boys are 7yrs and 4yrs, and its been hard for all of us since their Mum died two yrs ago, im 54yrs old and dont want to go through what you are going through, i just want to live long enough to see them grow to young adults and be happy, so i can go in peace.

I'm so very sorry for your loss Darren, sometimes life is incredibly cruel, bless you.

I think most kids, or a good percentage of them will dip a toe over the rails at some point.. let's face it, when we were kids most our age were partial to a bottle or three of cider and the ciggies.. I never understood it but that's me..

I'm really proud of my Ad, he is 30 now with two boys and a step daughter . He is a good dad and he tries so hard. As I say for most the teen years are a blip, it's how we ride them out that counts.. You are safe for a few years yet, wait three years and then you will have the pleasure of a walk through on sex education... We have just had that with my grandson.. He has decided it all sounds revolting and not for him.. lol.

Just hold on to the thought that there is a percentage that doesn't go off the rails too.

darren61

« Reply #18 on September 23, 2016, 11:55:53 pm by darren61 »
Gonna hang in there Jucy and hope for the best, just the same as most of us do. Thankyou for your kind words and wisdom. x

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 24, 2016, 12:00:39 am by jucyberry »
One day at a time, it's all any of us can do. x

darren61

« Reply #20 on September 24, 2016, 12:05:20 am by darren61 »
Thats true, bring it on eh? x

jucyberry

• VSC Member