Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 06:40:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Calder...  (Read 2268 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Calder...
« on October 03, 2016, 09:57:05 am by wing commander »
   Seems he wasn't subbed because he was injured after all..Fergie didn't think it was working down that side so decided he had to do something about it by bringing Mason on...Obviously Calders not very happy,after all for a sub to be then subbed cant be a great feeling but fair play to Fergie for not shying away from a tough descision when it needed to be made...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Calder...
« Reply #1 on October 03, 2016, 01:09:18 pm by dknward2 »
Tbh i dont think he is that good. When Gary Mcsheffy is back cant see him playing much.
I know he is young but i hope we are paying nothing or very little to have him on loan

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 03, 2016, 01:52:05 pm by jonnydog »
Tbh i dont think he is that good. When Gary Mcsheffy is back cant see him playing much.
I know he is young but i hope we are paying nothing or very little to have him on loan

IF Gary Mcsheffrey is back!!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 03, 2016, 04:21:22 pm by glosterred »
Gary McSheffrey, the new Steve Brooker

COYR

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 03, 2016, 04:53:58 pm by Bezza »
hope Calder can show some improvement, seems full back or midfield don`t suit him think he`s an out & out winger .

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 03, 2016, 05:02:30 pm by Lincoln Rover »
I've been impressed by him when he's come on to be honest. I can't comnent on Saturday before someone chips in.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 03, 2016, 05:17:35 pm by Retdon1 »
I think he's one of those players that will either be very good or crap. When he came on at Crewe and morecombe he played very well but other games he's been poor. Still a young lad though that will only get better.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 03, 2016, 05:42:41 pm by wing commander »
I don't think DF thought he was poor Saturday just that he had made a mistake on who to put on and realised Mason suited Pompey's game plan better..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 03, 2016, 06:04:40 pm by selby »
Blaire was struggling again to close the winger down,and was loosing the ball in dangerous positions,I lost count of how many times their substitute on the left sold him a dummy,stepped inside and put over a cross in the last ten minutes after Calder had gone off
    Also Houghtons distribution was poor for once,meaning pressure built down our right side in the second half,Calder was no worse than those two but got hooked in my opinion, but whatever as a team nobody could have asked for more effort from any of  them.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 04, 2016, 12:50:55 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I will give fergie that he isn't scared of making big decisions, a lot of managers would have avoided the issue. Those sort of decisions seperate the ordinary managers from the above average ones.
I think calder will get his opportunity to start against derby, i wouldn't have been happy to come on and be subbed. It feels like an insult when you are a player, you tend to think mostly about yourself.
 The manager overlooks it all and chooses what he thinks will benefit the whole of the team, not the individual. Those sort of decisions can make a big difference over a season.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:03:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 04, 2016, 08:33:21 am by GazLaz »
Calder isn't a right back. Playing the right side of a diamond in midfield doesn't really suit him either. It's a tricky position to play as well, you need to be pretty tactically minded. He's only very young and does offer us something different going forward. If he wants to improve he should watch Mane at Liverpool. He's a very direct forward thinking player but he's prepared to graft as well.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 04, 2016, 12:16:54 pm by wing commander »
   That's a good shout Gaz...I like Calder,i think he's got something but we've just not unlocked it yet, I think he would have been ideal in a SOD team...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 04, 2016, 12:29:21 pm by GazLaz »
   That's a good shout Gaz...I like Calder,i think he's got something but we've just not unlocked it yet, I think he would have been ideal in a SOD team...

He's only young but needs to work hard to develop. Being a forward player these days is different to what it was only 5 years ago. You have to be more versatile and tactically aware without the ball. Decision making is key for Calder though, when to run and when to move it quickly. He makes simple mistakes sometimes and that's because he has doubt in his mind. He should be watching Coppinger and learning.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 04, 2016, 12:44:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
To get the best out of Calder he must play left, either left midfield or left of a diamond. Asking to play right of diamond does not improve him at all. It does not help the team when defending either.

The analogy with Copps is good but you don't see him playing on the left side consistently it's either on the right or the floating role behind the two strikers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 04, 2016, 12:48:13 pm by GazLaz »
I was implying he's got to learn to adapt to different positions like Copps has and not just think of himself as just a winger.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 04, 2016, 01:11:12 pm by IDM »
Calder looked a talent, aggressive, and an attacking threat when he came on at Crewe.  I'd like to see more of the same.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 04, 2016, 01:25:30 pm by GazLaz »
Calder looked a talent, aggressive, and an attacking threat when he came on at Crewe.  I'd like to see more of the same.

Point in case. He was asked to come on and do what he knows, head down and get at the right back. Needs to adapt a bit and become more flexible to become a more regular fixture.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012