Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:17:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The vultures  (Read 3763 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
The vultures
« on December 19, 2016, 01:15:37 pm by wing commander »
  Fergie has admitted that a host of clubs are now watching young Liam but hopes we will keep him come January...It's only to be expected when a young lad who has come through the system arrives with a bang I suppose...
    Whatever he says if someone offers decent money it will be hard to keep him but nice to have a player that people are excited about....Would love to keep him here but anything over a million will be hard to turn down I suspect...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: The vultures
« Reply #1 on December 19, 2016, 01:18:38 pm by IDM »
Put it this way, if we were mid season mid/low table in the championship and not scoring many, there would be plenty of folks on here suggesting that Mandeville would be worth a punt for us!

The speculation is inevitable.  I am not expecting he would go this window, as he needs to prove himself over a longer period.  If he goes, we'll manage though!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 19, 2016, 01:44:38 pm by GazLaz »
5 goals from open play this season and a few good performances. If I was a vulture I'd want to see a bit more before I took flight.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 19, 2016, 01:55:53 pm by wing commander »
  I agree Gaz, but like it or not clubs like ours need to find the occasional gem to eventually sell and make a good return to help the club compete at a decent level...So I'm hoping he continues this form,helps us get promoted and eventually tempt someone into making a big bid that allows us to strengthen again...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 19, 2016, 03:38:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
Far too early in his development yet. Let him get 20 or so goals in a season and we'll not be able to refuse the numbers that will be available. If he keeps his nose clean and we get a ready-made replacement, then we can consider our options but until then, this sort of talk is just building up his profile and price and that is all.

Makes me wonder what could have been for the 2 McKay lads if they'd stayed on a bit longer.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 19, 2016, 04:08:08 pm by NickDRFC »
Here's a question for those who know more about the YT - both McKay and Mandeville were both very prolific for the under 18s, but who was better/tipped as more likely to make it further?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 19, 2016, 04:14:15 pm by PDX_Rover »
We don't need to sell. End of story.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 19, 2016, 04:14:36 pm by Campsall rover »
Mandeville was.
That was from a good source from within the junior coaching staff.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 19, 2016, 04:22:42 pm by The Red Baron »
Mandeville was.
That was from a good source from within the junior coaching staff.

I heard that too. Also Paul was reckoned the better prospect of the McKays. Significant for me that the club didn't go to great lengths to keep the McKays though.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 19, 2016, 04:47:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yeah, Jack was just a poacher and Liam scored less but was the better of the two technically. Paul would have had some game time this season for me if he was still here. Looked decent both at CB and CM.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 19, 2016, 08:15:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
I take it you didn't watch Jack much for the youth team, as you would never have written that comment about only being a poacher. I saw him score some wonderful goals and from nothing, I.e. He did most of the set up himself. He was a good prospect alright and, at the time, every bit as good as Liam.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 19, 2016, 10:02:31 pm by johnny rovers »
If he Carrys on the form he's in now until the end of the season and we do end up going up, we need to be giving him a five year contract and possibly making the highest paid player in our history! We need to be building a team around him, his potential is quite something!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:05:29 pm by johnny rovers »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 19, 2016, 10:09:02 pm by Copps is Magic »
Mandeville is technically gifted. Its rare at 19. Most modern youngsters in this country are gangly, strong and athletic. Liam's a bit different. Clubs won't just take his goal scoring into account.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 21, 2016, 06:49:24 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
the most important thing is the sell on clause - perhaps we should have a word with the Dingles about that getting it right

and to think I suggested a sell on clause with Curtis Main :chair:

sheff united got 1 million from blackburn for "raw" Jordan slew who went into oblivion - you can watch him on tv tonite

in fact they've had 3 or 4 sales of youngster for 1 million + in the last 3 years

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 22, 2016, 01:55:03 am by Capmeister »
Mandeville is technically gifted. Its rare at 19. Most modern youngsters in this country are gangly, strong and athletic. Liam's a bit different. Clubs won't just take his goal scoring into account.

Technically gifted????? In what way? I'm pleased the lad's done well but that's over stating it. He'll need to keep up the scoring to convince me. I hope he proves me wrong. He has done so far!!!!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 22, 2016, 03:04:51 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He is playing a very attack minded side which helps him a lot. He has also improved a lot but still has a way to go yet. If he went to a defensive minded side if such thing exists nowadays he would struggle to score goals like any other striker.
At the minute he is in the best place to improve. If we do sell him we need it to be at a point when he is worth much more than he is now. Ideally we don't want to lose him but every player has his price. It would be nice for a change not feel like we've been robbed on the price.
Some deals we have done okay on, others have gone far too early and at too small a price.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 22, 2016, 04:37:51 am by Copps is Magic »

Technically gifted????? In what way? I'm pleased the lad's done well but that's over stating it. He'll need to keep up the scoring to convince me. I hope he proves me wrong. He has done so far!!!!

Let me turn the question round.

Do YOU not think, in terms of his technical ability alone, he is a very talented player? You must have seen some of the twists and turns, the faints, the control on the ball and err goals like the one against Grimsby?

Not all players have that. Nay, most (in this country at least) don't. Even at the top level you find striker after winger living off their pace, finishing, athleticism or whatever attribute they may have

It's a gift, not doubt about it.

And he's got it. Now, all he has to do is develop other aspects of his game and he will become the well rounded player we all want him to be. 19 years old.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 22, 2016, 07:49:20 am by idler »
He's staring to look confident taking defenders on now. His close control is good and he seems to have quick feet and good balance.
He's doing very well in a tough league for a lad of his age.
Let's hope that he can develop further with us before perhaps moving on to bigger and better things.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 22, 2016, 12:41:43 pm by RoversAlias »

Let me turn the question round.

Do YOU not think, in terms of his technical ability alone, he is a very talented player? You must have seen some of the twists and turns, the faints, the control on the ball and err goals like the one against Grimsby?

Not all players have that. Nay, most (in this country at least) don't. Even at the top level you find striker after winger living off their pace, finishing, athleticism or whatever attribute they may have

It's a gift, not doubt about it.

And he's got it. Now, all he has to do is develop other aspects of his game and he will become the well rounded player we all want him to be. 19 years old.

Totally agree, for me when he had a few good cameos off the bench at the start of the season the thing that stood out about him was his ability with the ball at his feet. You cannot have enough of those players, especially at this level as they are a rarity. We have a few - Copps, Rowe, Mandeville - and it can make a big difference.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 23, 2016, 02:33:45 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He was always the youth player with the most promise. He has started to confirm that the others aren't quite doing it due to all different reasons. He got his opportunity and has taken it. Some of us thought at the start of the season we were a bit light on options up front. He has added to the options all of a sudden we have three top strikers. With Beestin in my opinion well capable of coming in and doing similar.

It shows how much the manager rates him when he could very easily have rested him for the last game but didn't. Some managers would have cited him being a young lad and how we were not going to rush him too much. His performances though have earned him his place in the starting line up.
All of a sudden Marquis is current number one with Mandeville just behind and Williams having to fight to get back in. Nice problems to have.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012