Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:27:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 3 at the back  (Read 4705 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
3 at the back
« on January 28, 2017, 11:24:30 pm by dickos1 »
Seems to be working well now!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: 3 at the back
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2017, 11:41:03 pm by drfchound »
Agreed Dickos, but that is because we now have the players to do it.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2017, 11:54:50 pm by Retdon1 »
The problem last year was we had 3 lumps at the back and non of them were any good on the ball. For 3 at the back to work you need at least one defender good on the ball and who can bring it out. This year we have 2 in baudry and mason and butler in the middle to win all the headers and do the dirty stuff

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2017, 11:56:50 pm by drfchound »
Exactly but even though we all could see it, unfortunately DF couldn't.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 29, 2017, 05:20:53 am by Alan Southstand »
But he could see it and he has rectified the problem, surely!

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 29, 2017, 08:27:54 am by Padge_DRFC »
Lund was used a lot as the wing back. Poor going forward.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 29, 2017, 09:31:47 am by Filo »

He could see it, thats why he's sorted it, transfer windows restricted him in trying to change things, his plan was to rectify it in the summer, he like every one of us never thought we'd get relegated, especially given our position in the table during the transfer window

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 29, 2017, 09:45:32 am by DonnyOsmond »
Getting relegated has meant we could have a clear out and we've brought in players who'll give 100% for the club. In the long term it was probably good for us and we've got a good chance of top 6 next season. We've got players who can adapt to different systems and I'm sure Fergie will bring us in some quality players.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 29, 2017, 09:54:48 am by Chris Black come back »
The performances this season have got progressively better, to the point where we are now consistently, excellent.

However, we are playing in the lowest professional tier and we are arguably aside from Portsmouth, the best resourced club in this league. We have a big squad of talented players, paid for by a generous board. Few if any others in this league can remotely compete with that.

In all honesty, we really should be going up this season given those resources. That Ferguson is doing this in such impressive fashion is to be warmly applauded.

We are flat track bullies in this league though. Real test comes next season if we go up. Much more competitive then and when Ferguson will really have to show his talent.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 29, 2017, 09:54:53 am by andyst79 »
Think having the best midfield we've had in a long time helps

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 29, 2017, 10:01:05 am by hoolahoop »

Of course he saw it but was he given the necessary funds, were the players available and to be honest were the players fully committed to be winners and work for one another.
For me it's the form of Copps and the speed that we can now counter-attack teams with that make the difference ; of course they do need the quality in defence .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 29, 2017, 10:04:13 am by idler »
I think that manager and board discussed transfer targets but decided to go with what we had as we were too good or in no danger of going down.
They could then do as they eventually did and bring in quality in the close season.
The only problem was dropping a division which came as a shock to everybody.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 29, 2017, 10:11:01 am by ravenrover »
I think that manager and board discussed transfer targets but decided to go with what we had as we were too good or in no danger of going down.
They could then do as they eventually did and bring in quality in the close season.
The only problem was dropping a division which came as a shock to everybody.

Just out of interest Idler is it based on insider info or just supposition on your part ?
(not having a pop genuine question)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 29, 2017, 10:20:52 am by idler »
That is just supposition Raven.
The whole demeanour of manager and board never showed a flicker building a challenge for a play off push or shoring up a failing side.
I think that the manager was saving the money for a splurge the following season. This board also seem to give the managers free reign almost on the football side of things.
That losing run was unforgivable, especially coming so soon after our spectacular fall from the Championship.
DF admitted his part in the relegation and said that he got it wrong. I'm sure that it shook both him and the board to the core.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 29, 2017, 01:42:03 pm by mrfrostsdad »
The performances this season have got progressively better, to the point where we are now consistently, excellent.

However, we are playing in the lowest professional tier and we are arguably aside from Portsmouth, the best resourced club in this league. We have a big squad of talented players, paid for by a generous board. Few if any others in this league can remotely compete with that.

In all honesty, we really should be going up this season given those resources. That Ferguson is doing this in such impressive fashion is to be warmly applauded.

We are flat track bullies in this league though. Real test comes next season if we go up. Much more competitive then and when Ferguson will really have to show his talent.

Totally agree. It would be a disgrace if we didn't get promoted out of this league with the players Ferguson has been allowed to bring in. We are by far the best team in this division, which quite frankly apart from a couple of teams is appalling.
We will without doubt need to strengthen in a couple of areas. We still don't have a decent, proper left back at the club, Coppinger won't go on forever, and whilst Butler has looked a lot better since Baudry became established in the team, I still would like to see another centre half come in. Maybe the guy from Portsmouth with the pony tail who's name escapes me. Looked very good with the ball at his feet

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 29, 2017, 01:54:02 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Good call about a CB MFD, in that however good Butler has has been this season, he is getting older. Wright is presumably seen as his eventual successor, with Alcock a backup, but another option would be good if we reach the league above.

The player I think you are talking about is Christian Burgess

Earlier this season he and a teammate were subbed at half-time after fighting in the dressing room. The manager blamed that for defeat against Stevenage I think.

I think our dressing room spirit is the best for years and I would not want to risk that.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 29, 2017, 02:04:03 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Good call about a CB MFD, in that however good Butler has has been this season, he is getting older. Wright is presumably seen as his eventual successor, with Alcock a backup, but another option would be good if we reach the league above.

The player I think you are talking about is Christian Burgess

Earlier this season he and a teammate were subbed at half-time after fighting in the dressing room. The manager blamed that for defeat against Stevenage I think.

I think our dressing room spirit is the best for years and I would not want to risk that.

Burgess. Yup he's the one. I don't think Butler was very good until Baudry became first choice. And he wasn't good last season in the league higher.
We need to strengthen in some areas. We saw what happened last season when we didn't bring new players in in January

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 29, 2017, 02:15:19 pm by dickos1 »
There's lots of examples where clubs have gone down to a level they shouldn't be and have struggled to get back out of it,
Portsmouth, Leeds, Sheff Wednesday, sheff united, forest, it's too easy to just say we shouldn't be in this league so it's no achievement to get promoted.
Of course it is, Portsmouth have been here 3/4 years now with a bigger budget than us.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 29, 2017, 02:28:50 pm by mrfrostsdad »
There's lots of examples where clubs have gone down to a level they shouldn't be and have struggled to get back out of it,
Portsmouth, Leeds, Sheff Wednesday, sheff united, forest, it's too easy to just say we shouldn't be in this league so it's no achievement to get promoted.
Of course it is, Portsmouth have been here 3/4 years now with a bigger budget than us.

How do you know Portsmouth has a bigger budget than us? They may have, they may not.
Yes, some teams do get relegated and not get back up again and Portsmouth is a good example. We are a far better team than Portsmouth, and from what I can see Ferguson has been allowed to bring in every player he has wanted to. If we don't get promoted this season (which we will - without doubt) he should be on his bike but it's a none issue because we will.
Yes, it's still an achievement getting promoted out of this division, but let's wait and see what happens next season before we get too excited

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 29, 2017, 03:07:55 pm by roversontheup »
I understand your point MFD but I am excited about this season. I am loving going to games, loving watching the way our boys play and the effort they put in to each game. It's all about the now for me. I will worry (or not) about next season, next season. For now I intend screwing every last drop of excitement and enjoyment out of the next few months.
Ive supported through so many poor seasons that nothing is going  to spoil this fun😊

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 29, 2017, 03:25:52 pm by dickos1 »

How do you know Portsmouth has a bigger budget than us? They may have, they may not.
Yes, some teams do get relegated and not get back up again and Portsmouth is a good example. We are a far better team than Portsmouth, and from what I can see Ferguson has been allowed to bring in every player he has wanted to. If we don't get promoted this season (which we will - without doubt) he should be on his bike but it's a none issue because we will.
Yes, it's still an achievement getting promoted out of this division, but let's wait and see what happens next season before we get too excited

Exactly, we're a far better side than them and that's down to our manager

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 29, 2017, 03:49:46 pm by ravenrover »

How do you know the manager has been allowed to bring in all the players he has wanted to? Most of the ones he has brought in have been completely off the fans radar so how do you know there are not others he has wanted to sign but hasn't been allowed?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 29, 2017, 03:52:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Don't know what all the fuss about Burgess at Porsmouth is about in all honesty as I don't rate him.
Seen a number of centre backs in this league who I think are better.
If Portsmouth rate him they won't be selling him to us will they?
We already have a ready made replacement for Butler in Wright who i think will develop into a very good centre back.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 29, 2017, 04:16:28 pm by drfchound »

He could see it, thats why he's sorted it, transfer windows restricted him in trying to change things, his plan was to rectify it in the summer, he like every one of us never thought we'd get relegated, especially given our position in the table during the transfer window

The point is Filo that he couldn't see it at the time or was too stubborn to change it.
With about six games to go he did change back to a flat back four and we had a good run to the end of the season.
As has been said, going down last season was inexcusable and was avoidable had DF abandoned the back three a few games sooner.
It isn't just me who thinks this, there were plenty of posts about it at the time and plenty of shouts about it from the stands also.
Do t get me wrong, I admire what he has done since and the players he has brought in and I am enjoying watching us do well again.
However this should have been done in L1 because we should not have gone down.
Dickov was held to task for the teams performances in his time as manager so DF should also carry the can for his part in us going down.
Blaming the players is not good enough given that the players weren't blamed for Dickovs failures, you can't have it both ways.
To say "of course he could see it" shouldn't excuse his failing to keep us up when the players at his disposal were struggling with the system.
He should have been big enough to recognise this and adapted to the players strengths.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:28:15 pm by drfchound »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 29, 2017, 04:22:33 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Having IMHO correctly said that Hound, thank goodness we did keep DF. How many other managers are there around that would have come to DRFC and built a team playing like this?

Shows we have stuck by how we were 10 years ago - a club that gives managers a bit of time. That will be noted by potential candidates next time we need to look for a manager.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 29, 2017, 04:24:20 pm by Campsall rover »
We are still playing a back 4 most of the time.
DF switches to a 3/5 so as to confuse scouts watching us and make it difficult for planning their tactics against us.
He also knows that with Baudry he can play this alternative system effectively and successfully

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 29, 2017, 04:27:34 pm by idler »
I agree wholeheartedly with that Dutch.
Any manager thinking of taking a job will be wondering about the patience and time-scale that his employers will give him.
We must certainly be up with the best of them.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 29, 2017, 05:22:04 pm by les@donr »
Having IMHO correctly said that Hound, thank goodness we did keep DF. How many other managers are there around that would have come to DRFC and built a team playing like this?

Shows we have stuck by how we were 10 years ago - a club that gives managers a bit of time. That will be noted by potential candidates next time we need to look for a manager.
If DF stays at Rovers as long as his old man stayed at Man U, then we will not be looking for a new manager in a long time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 29, 2017, 05:24:30 pm by drfchound »
If he stays that long you would expect us at least to be an established Championship club.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 29, 2017, 05:31:06 pm by les@donr »
If he stays that long you would expect us at least to be an established Championship club.
Agree, who says we can't be.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012