Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:21:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Ref  (Read 8789 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: The Ref
« Reply #60 on February 05, 2017, 09:32:06 am by IDM »

Have not seen any mention either of the "offside" goal by Marquis - was it offside or not ?

Ealry in the first half?  I thought that was Williams put through by Copps?

Then Copps called offside a few moments later..

I couldn't see, wrong end of the ground..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on February 05, 2017, 10:26:36 am by Donnywolf »
Could well have been Williams - but the Ball ended up in the net and I was unsure if it was correctly disallowed

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 05, 2017, 10:29:43 am by Copps is Magic »
Just seen the handball incident on a clip. With the benefit of that highlight I think it clearly was a penalty.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 05, 2017, 11:56:21 am by roversdude »
What about their player carrying on and putting ball in net after being called offside- I thought that there was a ruling that this is a booking

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on February 05, 2017, 12:35:30 pm by ravenrover »
Just seen the handball incident on a clip. With the benefit of that highlight I think it clearly was a penalty.

No need for hindsight or replays where I sit, clear pen. Ellison even made a half hearted attempt to pretend the ball had hit him in the face before he realised the pen hadn't been given

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 05, 2017, 01:32:30 pm by glosterred »
In defence of the ref, I'm not sure he had a clear view of the incident as Ellison would have had his back to him. But the west stand Lino had a perfect view and didn't help him out at all. Definitely a pen

COYR

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on February 05, 2017, 02:16:04 pm by CJK »
It was Williams who had the goal disallowed. Then moments later Copps was through and given offside, he was at least a yard on side.

Their striker playing on and hitting a shot well after the whistle was blown, yellow card.

The keeper, time wasting from the off, I think the ref first had a word in the 17th minute and did absolutely nothing afterwards.

Then the penalty incident, Ellison getting away with all sorts, the various unpunished fouls....yeah it was this Idleton chap refereeing again. He's terrible every time we get him.

All in all the blame doesn't lie totally at his door, we just weren't quite 100% yesterday although we still had enough chances to win it. Still worries me how many cheap goals we concede but don't think that's going to change.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on February 05, 2017, 03:14:07 pm by StocktonRover »
Our disallowed goal in the first half was correctly given as offside. When the ball was played through Williams was just goal side of the defender.

One of the few the officials got right.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on February 05, 2017, 08:36:23 pm by drfchound »
What about their player carrying on and putting ball in net after being called offside- I thought that there was a ruling that this is a booking

Their player (7) actually put the ball into the north stand and clearly he knew he was offside by the way he just smashed the ball.we said at the time that he should have got a yellow card.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 06, 2017, 01:33:27 pm by dijit8 »
Thought the ref was poor and Morecombe got away with quite a bit but Baudry could have quite easily been sent off.
Not sure how he got away with a blatant foul early in first half, he then got harshly booked then could easily had another yellow shortly afterwards at which Ellison was in the referee's face (although he did that all game)
The time-wasting by their keeper should have been punished after about 20 mins as it was every kick he took.
We should have been more clinical in the final third too many poor balls or wrong options taken when in good positions

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 10, 2017, 01:38:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We have to realise we are in the bottom league so we will mostly get referee's who aren't good enough for the top leagues or are very young and on the way up. If you have a good enough team the referee should be an irrelevance because you will find a way to win.
All the teams have to cope with the same officials so there is no advantage. For me they make a lot of mistakes but they get far more right than wrong. Just like anybody else they are not above criticism but i think as fans we expect them to be nearer to perfection than is possible.

Every generation the officials jobs seem to get tougher with rules that come in and the increased cheating that goes on. There are officials that aren't good at their job just like any job but i wouldn't personally want to be referee or linesman it was hard enough years ago it seems almost impossible now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 10, 2017, 07:56:43 am by drfchound »
SCWK, it isn't just in L2 though is it.
Was it Wolfie who told us about the free kick thing at barnsley a few weeks ago when the keeper picked the ball up ten yards outside of his area and then lumped it forward.
Not penalised by the ref or more incredibly, by the linesman.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on February 10, 2017, 09:02:55 am by Donnywolf »
Yes it was me .... quite the most bizarre thing I have seen for ages.

Ref waves take the Kick to Barnsleys Left Back he knock its square to their Keeper standing 10 yards outside his area and he picked it up and spun it forward (as they do) ready to punt it upfield

The murmur was incredible and for me mirrored the Telford no goal at OBV. The officials were appalling (see the Thread if interested for some but not all of his other faults). The 7 Yard Free Kick is worth a read and they are still talking in Barnsley about both

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=260972.0

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 14, 2017, 03:00:13 am by Sammy Chung was King »
SCWK, it isn't just in L2 though is it.
Was it Wolfie who told us about the free kick thing at barnsley a few weeks ago when the keeper picked the ball up ten yards outside of his area and then lumped it forward.
Not penalised by the ref or more incredibly, by the linesman.

You are right it seems to be throughout football that standards aren't what they were in getting the big decisions right. I feel like the officials jobs are more complicated with the speed of the game and various rules that have changed over the years making consistency tougher to attain.
You are right some of the decisions are baffling what i don't like is when a linesman obviously see's what's happened and hasn't the guts to tell the referee. Also referee's that are stood looking at an incident but say they didn't see it. These decisions mostly seem to go against the smaller sides i think most officials are fair minded but i do think there is corruption involved at times so bad are the decisions.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on February 14, 2017, 12:23:15 pm by drfchound »
I was listening to Talksport a couple of days ago and it was being suggested that any type of handball should reult in a free kick, or penalty.
We regularly hear that it was ball to hand or that a player had his hands in a natural position (whatever that is) but the decision is down to the refs opinion or interpretation.
As not all refs interpret things the same way this leads to inconsistency.
Look at the pen we should have had against Morcambe when their 11 deflected the ball with both hands and a corner was given.
if the "free kick or pen for any handball rule" had been in place then the ref wouldnt have to interpret whether it was accidental or not.
No doubt some people will say that sometimes a handball is accidental but the new proposal takes all the doubt out of it and things for and against teams does tend to even out over time.
The Sanchez goal against Hull should never have been allowed.
The linesman MUST have been the ball strike the hand before going in and we dont know what was said to the ref over the link they have but if he saw it it should have been ruled out.
What does anyone think about this propsal ??

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on February 14, 2017, 12:42:12 pm by i_ateallthepies »
First point for me is that as with rugby, the ref's mike should be broadcast.

On the handball rule, I do get the 'ball to hand' angle but my take on it is that even with ball to hand, if advantage is gained then it is handball but not punished by a card.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on February 14, 2017, 12:44:53 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't see any good reason NOT to have broadcast mics for football referees. It causes transparency, what's the downside?

The weird protection from comment/criticism that referees get is bizarre to me. I get that it is a very tough job and we don't want to see public witch hunts against them but it can only help to create more back-and-forth dialogue, so long as it's done in a respectful and mature way.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on February 14, 2017, 12:48:23 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Agree with all of that RoversAlias

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on February 14, 2017, 01:34:44 pm by idler »
I don't see any good reason NOT to have broadcast mics for football referees. It causes transparency, what's the downside?

The weird protection from comment/criticism that referees get is bizarre to me. I get that it is a very tough job and we don't want to see public witch hunts against them but it can only help to create more back-and-forth dialogue, so long as it's done in a respectful and mature way.
The upside would be that any player abusing a ref would be heard by all.
That might calm a few down.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012